Status: NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hesitate

Good Guilt Trip

“Ya know…..if you break that…..i’m gonna have to make ya buy it.” She said over his shoulder as he held the action figure in his hands.

“Oh come on….like I’m gonna break it.” Shawn chuckled before standing up.

“What are you doing in here?” she asked as she stocked some new figures she’d gotten in.

“Was driving through town…thought I’d stop in. How you been, punk?”

She smiled, “Pretty good I guess….”

“Well, this place seems to be going fucking great.” He said looking around. “A little bit on the small side though….”

“Did Jaret tell you to say that?” she chortled. “Cause I’m really tired of hearing that.”

“You wanna go grab some lunch?”

“Uhh, sure. I was about leave to do that anyway.”

“Cool. I’ll drive.”

They sat down in the nearby burger joint. She enjoyed Shawn’s company even though at times he had the demeanor of an over-protective brother.

“So, what’s up with you and Corey?” He said not wasting anytime. He’d heard somethings through the grapevine but hadn’t talked to either of them.

“Well, he’s back from Vegas…he went this morning to pick Griffin up…”

“That ain’t what I’m talking about…”

“I don’t know what you wanna hear….”

“Are you two married?” He took her wide eyed expression as a ‘yes.’

“How’d you?”

“Jim. He can’t keep a secret. What exactly were you guys thinking?”

“Well, that’s the thing….we were dr-”

“Drunk. I know. Jim told me that, too.”

She laughed, “I can’t even believe we’re having this conversation right now…”

“He also told me that you guys haven’t even decided what you’re going to do….”

“I don’t know…” she said sipping her drink. “He keeps bugging me to talk about all this….but I just don’t know what to say…I keep putting it off….”

“You know he’s eventually going to corner you and force you to have this conversation…..” he laughed. “so, you might as well just talk and get it over with.”

“I don’t even know what I want to do, Shawn.” She began, “I love him….If I say I don’t want to stay married….I could lose him. And if I say I do want to stay married…..what if…I just don’t even wanna think about it….”

“First off, quit with the negative shit. So far you’re basing your decision on what you *don’t* want to happen. What about what you do want to happen? You guys love each other…that’s been painfully obvious for about 12 years now……”

“So, you’re saying I should suck it up and stay married?”

“No, I’m just saying quit thinking about all the negative shit.”

“Very poetic.” She laughed.

“Daddy, this isn’t your house.”

“I know, son. It’s Ashleigh’s house.” He explained.

“Ok, why are we at Ashleigh’s?”

“I thought it be cool if I brought you to see her….”

“It doesn’t even look like she’s at home…”

“I wish I were as smart as you when I was your age.” He laughed. “…and she’s at work….now, can we go inside?”

“She doesn’t lock her house?”

“I have a key.”

“Why do you have a key?”

“What am I? On trial?” his son just stared up at him waiting for his question to be answered. “She gave me a key.”

He unlocked the door and let them inside. He tossed Griffin’s bag into the spare bedroom. “Ok……I gotta talk to you….Come here…..”

“Is this about you having the keys to Ashleigh’s house?”

He laughed, “Something like that……You know me and Ashleigh have been very good friends for a very long time, right?”

“Yep.”

“Ok. Good. Well, we have decided that……we love each other very much and that we make each other happy.”

“That’s good. I like it when you’re happy.”

“You do?” he smiled.

“Mmmhmm. Can I ask you something?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“Do you still love mommy?”

“That’s……a complicated question……I love your mom in a very different way from the way I love Ash. I love your mom because she gave me you. It’s kind of hard to explain.”

“Are you married to her now?”

“Uhh…….what would make you think that?”

“I heard you and mom talking when I was coming down the stairs. I was being real quiet so I could listen.”

“Griff, that’s rude. You don’t need to spy on adult conversations….”

“Well, are you or aren’t you?”

“Are.” He said giving in. “Is that ok with you? ….”

“It’s ok. I like her.” He smiled sweetly.

“I wish she was as sure about this as you and I are…” Corey said to himself lowly but Griffin heard him.

“What does that mean?”

“It’s grown up stuff…” he sighed.

“Could we go see her at her work?”

“She’s pretty busy…I don’t know if we should bother her…”

“If you really loved her a lot, then you’d want to go see her no matter what.” He grinned.

Corey laughed, “Good guilt trip. Come on….let’s go….”