Status: FINISHED :D

Teach Your Heart To Talk

What A Catch

Chapter 2

Brendon’s POV

I sit in my room and listen to music. It’s not really that loud, because my parents are already asleep. I tried to sleep as well, but found myself not able to and so I decided to turn on my computer to occupy myself with something. I look over at the clock and sigh when I realize that it’s already after midnight. Maybe I should sleep.
I turn off the computer and rest my chin in my palm while I look out the window.
I just want to get up when I see Ryan. He stumbles out of the door and hugs himself while looking around. He looks kind of scared when he starts walking along the road slowly.
Without thinking, I jump to my feet and run out of the room. I climb down the stairs and open the door to run outside. Ryan is already two houses away.
“Ryan” I hiss.
It’s too quiet, he doesn’t hear me. I sigh and start jogging after him.
“Ryan” I say when I’m right behind him and he turns around with a squeak. “Sorry, I didn’t want to scare you.”
“What do you want?” he asks quickly and turns to continue walking.
“Why are you out here?”
He doesn’t answer.
“Ryan?”
“Listen” he starts and turns to look at me while biting his lip. “I don’t know why you care but it’s none of your business and now leave me alone.”
“Where are you going?”
“I’m going to visit a friend.”
“Is he even awake?”
“I doubt that.”
“Then why do you want to go there in the middle of the night?”
He opens his mouth but closes it again.
“Why aren’t you at home?”
He just looks away.
“What is going on?”
“It’s none of your fucking business and now I have to go.” He whispers and starts walking again.
I don’t know what to do and so I just walk next to him. When we pass a street lamp, I look over at his face and gasp.
“Oh my god, what happened to your face?”
He looks at me with big eyes and maybe there are tears in his eyes, I can’t really tell.
“Okay, I don’t care that you want to wake your friend at night and it seems like you can’t go home right now. You’re coming with me.” I say and grab his wrist to tug him along.
“Stop it.” He says weakly, but I shake my head and continue to tug him along. “Leave me alone. I don’t even know you.”
“I don’t know you either but you’re hurt.”
He remains silent and a minute later we’re back at my house and I push him inside.
“Brendon, what- ”
I look up and my mother is standing at the top of the steps. Then she looks over at Ryan and her eyes widen.
“Oh my god, you have to be Ryan. Brendon told me about you. What happened?” she says hysterically and climbs down the stairs.
Ryan retreats a step and looks at the door.
“I shouldn’t be here.” He whines.
“I won’t let you leave like this.” My mom says.
She observes his face and then disappears into the bathroom. A few seconds later, she reappears with a washcloths and some disinfectant.
“Come on, sit down.” She says and motions for us to follow her into the kitchen where Ryan sits down.
“I really should leave.” Ryan says but she shakes her head and starts to clean the wounds.
Now I really see his face under the bright kitchen lamp. His lip split and is bleeding, there’s a bruise forming on his cheek and his nose is bleeding.
“What happened?” she asks but Ryan stays silent.
When mom puts the cloth away she sits down as well and observes Ryan who looks uneasy.
“I have to go.” He whines but when he wants to get up my mother pushes him back down.
“Where did you even get those bruises?” she asks but Ryan doesn’t answer.
I remember how he stumbles out of the house and suddenly I think I know what happened.
“Thank you, but I really have to leave.” He says frantically.
He gets up and this time no one stops him. He stumbles out of the kitchen and I lock eyes with my mom before I follow him to the front door.
“Are your parents abusive?” I ask silently when he’s about to step outside.
His eyes widen and I just know I’m right.
“N-no, what are you thinking?! L-leave me alone.” He stutters and in the next moment he is running down the street.
I look after him with a bad feeling.

*

Ryan’s POV

I knocked on Spencer’s window for ten minutes till he finally let me in.
He just observes me for a moment before he turns to go into the bathroom.
“No, it’s okay. I already took care of the bruises.” I say quickly and he frowns at me. “Our new neighbors- … the boy walked after me and just grabbed me. His mom helped me.”
“What?!” Spencer hisses and I shush him. “That guy we saw today?”
I nod.
“Why did he do that?” he asks.
“I don’t know. I stumbled out of the front door and then he was just … there.”
“You have to be more careful. You could have had an attack while being at his house.”
“I know. I wanted to leave but they didn’t let me.”
Spencer sighs and sits down on his bed.
“They just wanted to help. Maybe that guy isn’t as bad as I thought at first.”
“You know I don’t want to have new friends. They always leave anyway.”
“Not everyone is like that. I’m still here, right?”
“Yes”
He smiles and lies down on the king size bed again.
“Let’s sleep. I’m tired.”
I nod and lie down as well.
Sleep comes rather quickly now that I feel save again.

*

Brendon’s POV

When I go out to get the mail the next morning I spot Ryan and his friend again.
They are walking down the sidewalk and stop in front of Ryan’s house. I smile at them but they ignore me and a few seconds later they disappear inside.
I frown and run inside.
“Mom, I’m going over to Ryan’s to ask how he is.” I yell and run out the front door before she answers.
In no time I’m standing in front of the door of Ryan’s house and knock eagerly.
Nothing happens and I start to rock on my heels.
When the door finally opens it’s Ryan’s friend.
“Yes?” he asks through the small gap.
I open my mouth to say something when I hear a whimper.
“Uhm … what was that?” I ask and try to look behind him.
“Nothing, what do you want?” he asks and shields the inside of the house from my eyes.
Someone cries out and I start to get curious.
“What’s going on in there?”
The guy narrows his eyes and observes me.
The crying continues and I start to get angry.
“Is that Ryan? I came over to ask if he’s okay but he obviously isn’t.”
“Fuck off!”
With that the door slams shut. I freeze but catch myself again and start to hammer against the door.
“Hey, you freak! Let me in or I’m calling the police!” I yell and start kicking as well.
“Go home” the guys says behind the door, the crying still in the background.
“No, I won’t go home! I’m not some ignorant bastard. I may don’t know you two but I can tell when someone is crying!”
Nothing happens.
“I’m calling the police, I swear!”
“No, please don’t.” I hear the voice again.
It sounds sad and like a plea.
“Why not? Give me a reason!”
The door opens and he steps out, closing the door behind himself.
“It’s not my place to tell you the reason but I swear that Ryan is okay.” He sighs just when there’s another whimper behind the door.
I narrow my eyes at him.
“Okay, listen. I’m Spencer. I’m Ryan’s best friend since forever. Just trust me when I tell you he’s okay even if it might not sound like it.”
I observe him for a moment.
“Do you think I’m stupid?”
“No, that’s the problem.”
“Huh?”
We are silent for a few seconds and I notice that the noises from inside are gone. Spencer turns to open the door and rushes inside. I don’t dare to step inside all the way but from where I’m standing I can see how Spencer helps Ryan off the ground.
“Are you okay?” he asks and Ryan nods and leans against the wall, letting his head fall backwards.
“I’m just tired.” He mumbles and Spencer nods before they start to climb the stairs.
When I can’t see them anymore I take another step inside and close the door behind me. I stay like that for ten minutes and then Spencer comes down again.
When he sees me I raise my eyebrows at him.
“I’ll leave now and you should do the same.” He says and walks past me to open the door.
“What? You’re going to leave him alone like this?”
Spencer sighs but doesn’t turn around.
“Just trust me.” He says and starts walking down the path towards the sidewalk.
“Are you just going to leave me here? I could rape him or steal his stuff.”
“You’re not a bad guy. He should tell you.”
With that he’s gone.
“What?” I whisper to myself and close the door.
I know I should go. I don’t know Ryan but I just want to know what was wrong. Slowly I climb the stairs, listening carefully.
“Ryan?” I ask when I reach the top.
There are a few doors, all open but one. I walk over to that door and knock. Noises are coming from inside and then the door opens. Ryan is standing in front of me and he looks completely exhausted.
“Oh … Brendon. What- ”
“I’m sorry. Your friend left and I just wanted to know if everything is okay.”
“I’m going to be fine.” He whispers.
“That’s good but what …”
“You wanna know what happened?”
I nod.
“Uhm I just … nothing.”
“Didn’t sound like nothing.”
He bites his lip and takes a step back.
“Do you want to come in?”
I nod and walk past him into the room. It doesn’t look like the usual teenager room. It’s neat, almost as if it’s not used.
“So … your friend is a bit …”
“He looks out for me.” Ryan interrupts.
I nod to myself and bite my lip.
“That’s good.”
“He has to.” Ryan whispers and sits down on the bed.
“Huh?”
“Nothing”
I just stand there and watch him and after a while he looks down at his lap. He looks tired and sad. There is something going on, I know that much, but why won’t he tell me?
Okay, right. He doesn’t know me.
“Ryan, listen. I don’t know you and you don’t know me but something is wrong. I’m not stupid.” I whisper and sit down beside him.
He nods and looks away.
“You can tell me.”
He bites his lip and closes his eyes.
“Why do you want to be my friend?” he asks without moving.
“Why wouldn’t I want that?”
He doesn’t answer so I go on.
“You look like you could need a friend. Sure you already have one but …”
“Would you leave if something was wrong with me?” he asks out of sudden and looks up at me.
I close my mouth and just watch him closely for a few seconds. His eyes are wide and wet and he looks so sad and lost that I want nothing more than to know what he is talking about.
“Of course not” I whisper without breaking eye contact. “But please tell me.”
He looks away and bites his lip again.
“Can we do something today? Maybe go out to watch a movie or something?” he asks.
I sigh but nod.
“What do you want to see?” I ask and he shrugs. “Okay then.”