Status: FINISHED :D

Teach Your Heart To Talk

Don't Waste Your Energy

Chapter 3

Ryan’s POV

It’s still early and the cinemas don’t open before noon so we just walk around town for a bit before we go inside a small café to drink something. Brendon was really quiet the whole time. He didn’t ask a single thing but I know that the questions will come.
I just sit there and look out of the window while biting my lip nervously. Brendon sits across from me and I know that he’s watching me but I refuse to look at him.
“What can I get you?”
I flinch at the voice and look next to me to see that a woman stands in front of our table. She’s wearing an apron and is holding a small notepad.
“Just a coke for me.” Brendon says and she nods, scribbling it down before looking at me expectantly.
“Uhm … me too.” I stutter and she nods and walks off.
“Jumpy, are we?” Brendon asks with a grin and I lower my gaze quickly.
“I’m just not used to people.” I whisper while looking down at my lap.
I hear Brendon chuckle and look up.
“You’re weird.” He laughs and I freeze. “No, not in a bad way.”
I keep staring at him and he just stares back until our drinks arrive and we look away. Brendon takes a long sip of his coke and I just look down at mine.
“I’ll get you out of your little world.” Brendon says out of sudden and our eyes lock again.
“What?”
“You seem a bit lonely. I’m not the people-loving type either but you could use some time away from your house.”
“Uhm”
“Now that you’re friends with me there’s no other choice as to play along. I don’t accept a no.”
He says it with so much seriousness that I can’t help but laugh and he chimes in.
“I made you laugh. That’s a start.”
I stop laughing and watch as he smiles at me before reaching for his coke.
“So what do you want to see?” he asks.
“What?”
He smirks and raises his eyebrows.
“The movie?”
“Oh, right” I mumble. “I don’t care. You choose.”
His smirk widens.
“Alright. If you say so.”
Should I be scared?

*

“No”
“Yes”
“Brendon, no!”
“You said I could choose.”
“I don’t care. I’m not watching a fucking horror movie!”
“Yes, you are.”
“No”
He rolls his eyes playfully and turns to get our tickets for, of course, the horror movie.
“Brendon- ”
“Stop complaining. I pay. Geez.”
“Can’t we watch something else?”
“No”
I sigh as he pulls me over to the popcorn stand.
We get some popcorn and something to drink before we head towards the cinema.
“Last chance. Please, let’s watch something else.” I plead but he just smiles and pulls me into the room.
We sit down in the back and Brendon starts eating happily.
“How are you able to stay so calm?” I ask.
He shrugs and smiles at me. A pout covers my face and changes into a grimace when the light is switched off.
“Don’t be scared. I’m here.” Brendon laughs.
“I’m not scared.”
“Hah! Sure.”
When the movie starts I grip the armrest and Brendon pats my hand.
“It didn’t even start.” He whispers and I ignore him.
Okay, the beginning isn’t really scary. There are a few teenagers who want to spend a weekend in the woods.
This isn’t going to end well.

*

Brendon’s POV

I totally did this one purpose. I can’t wait for the first scary scene because Ryan will totally freak out.
It doesn’t take long till one of the guys in the movie goes out at night to get something out of his car and a smile covers my face. The music stops and when he turns around an axe hits him right in the face.
Ryan squeaks next to me and when I look at him he bites his lip and claws as the armrest.
The movie keeps going like that and soon there are just two of the teenagers left.
I hate to admit that the movie scared me a bit too. Even I jumped in my seat a few times.
Ryan started covering his eyes halfway into it but I know he’s still watching through a gap between his fingers. It’s adorable.
When the killer appears Ryan mumbles “I hate you” and covers his eyes completely.
I smile and reach out to take his hands away from his face.
“Come on. You’ve been so brave till now.” I whisper and he opens his eyes and watches as the last two idiots die.

*

“I don’t know if I want to be friends with you after all.” Ryan says when we walk out of the building.
I chuckle and decide to say nothing since I don’t know if he’s joking or not.
We walk along the sidewalk for a few minutes till he talks again.
“Uhm … I was joking.” He mumbles carefully.
“I know.” I say confidently.
The rest of the walk home is silent and half an hour later we are in front of Ryan’s house. He sighs and then freezes.
I frown and follow his line of sight.
He stares at the car in the driveway.
“What?” I ask.
“Uhm … d-do you mind if I come over?” he asks quietly and I nod, still somewhat confused.
“Thanks”
He starts walking over to my house rather quickly and I look at the car with raised eyebrows before following.
“Uhm, would you mind telling me what’s wrong?” I ask but he doesn’t answer.
I want to ask again when the door opens just when I get my key out.
“Brendon. Where have you been?” my mother asks.
“We watched a movie. Sorry, I forgot to tell you.” I say and grab Ryan’s wrist, pushing past her.
“Seems like it.” She sighs. “How are you Ryan? Feeling better?”
“Yes. Thanks, m’am.”
I roll my eyes and pull him up the stairs and into my room. He looks around briefly before sitting down on my bed.
“What was that about?” I ask and he frowns at me.
“What?”
“I have no problem with you being here. Not at all. But why didn’t you want to go home?”
He opens his mouth and closes it again.
“Uhm, I’ll ask Spencer to pick me up.” He whispers, holding his phone.
“You don’t have to. I just want to know- ”
“I’ll be right back.” He mumbles and leaves the room.
I groan and let myself fall down on my bed. That kid frustrates me.
When Ryan starts talking in the hall I jump to my feet again and creep to the door to press my ear against it.
“I don’t know why he’s already at home.” He whispers. “Can’t you just pick me up?”
Silence.
“I know but … no, I won’t fucking tell him.” He hisses and the next silence lasts a bit longer. “Obviously not. He’s going to kill me when I show up.”
What?
“I hate you. See you in hell.”
It’s silent and then the door opens, hitting me right in the face.
“Ouch. Fuck” I whimper and look up to see Ryan standing above me, glaring down at me.
“Were you listening?” he asks and I stand upright again.
“Uhm, no?”
He stares at me in disbelief, his mouth hanging open.
“You’re unbelievable.” He gasps and folds his arms in front of his chest, looking away.
“Can you blame me? I just want to know what’s wrong so I can help you.”
“Oh, fuck you.” He hisses.
I expect him to run out of the room to leave the house but he doesn’t move.
“Uhm, isn’t this the part where you’re supposed to run out of the house because you hate me now?”
He bites his lip and nods.
“Then why are you still here?”
“Because- ”
He doesn’t continue and stares at the floor.
“Because you’re scared to go home.” I finish for him and when he remains silent I know I’m right.
“Your parents weren’t supposed to be home already and now you’re scared.” I continue.
Ryan looks up and stares at me pleadingly.
“Your parents abuse you, Ryan. That’s obvious. I’m not stupid.”
He chuckles nervously and walks over to the window to look out.
“You’re right. Everything you said is true. Everything but one little detail.” He whispers.
“Which would be?”
“It’s just my father.”
After that it’s silent for a while. I think about what I just found out.
Ryan’s father hits him and it seems to happen pretty often, judging by how he talks about it.
“What about your mom?” I ask.
“I don’t know. She left. I can’t remember her.” He mumbles quickly and turns to look out of the window again.
“But that’s not everything. What happened when you were crying and Spencer didn’t let me in?”
He whirls around with tears in his eyes.
“Stop this! Who do you think you are? I don’t have to tell you my secrets!” he yells and I flinch. “Just because I will get hurt when I go home doesn’t mean I won’t do it!”
“I just- ”
“You just want to help me. Oh, suck it up!”
I take a step towards him and open my mouth but he cuts me off again.
“I don’t even know you! I don’t know why you want to be my friend so desperately but I can tell you one thing. It won’t happen! I don’t want to be your friend!”
“Ryan, calm down.” I whisper.
“Fuck you!” he yells from the top of his lungs.
I take another careful step towards him and he blinks a few times before pushing past me and leaving the room. Seconds later I hear the front door slam shut.
Quickly I look out of the window to see Ryan run over to his house, looking for his key desperately. When he found it he opens the door and disappears inside.
I sigh and walk over to my bed to sit down.
“What happened?”
My gaze raises and my mother looks at me expectantly.
“He- ” I start. “He had to leave.”
“I figured.” She says and I hear sarcasm in her voice. “Anything else you want to tell me?”
“No?”
She sighs and then she’s gone again.
I groan and lie down.
Maybe I should do something now that I know Ryan’s father hits him. I should call the police or just go over there to get him out of there.
But I do nothing and I hate myself for that.