Status: Completed! Be awaiting a second part! Hopefully relatively soon!

Behind the Seams

The Perfection

I never left my mother’s bed that night. Peeta was alive and he really did love Katniss. The past year meant absolutely nothing to him. It did not matter that I had given him my heart. His had already belonged to Katniss.

After it got dark, I had heard someone walking through the hall. I did not bother to get up. If someone was going to hurt me, I would gladly allow it.

But it was not anyone who would hurt me. It was Gale. He curled up in bed next to me. It was silent for a moment.

“He is home.” I said. Gale sighed.

“I know.”

“I saw him. And he loved her. He told me.”

“You talked to him?” I nodded.

“I didn’t want to, but when I saw him…alive. I couldn’t say no. It is like it was just me and him again. I thought,” I sniffed, “that what he did in the arena was a lie. But then he said he loved her.” He did not say anything. He just scooted closer and held me tighter.

“I have to tell you something. But I do not want you to be hurt.”

“Nothing could be worse than how I feel right now.”

“Katniss kissed me. But I pushed her off.” A tear ran down my face. I pulled my sleeve over my hand and put it up to my eye to wipe it away. I really did not care. I knew Katniss was gone. The friend that I knew. I could never be without Gale. I really did not mind. I scooted closer to him to tell him it was okay. He squeezed me tighter. I thought I heard him sniffle. “Thank you.”

“It’s really not for you. Katniss is a jerk. But I need you, Gale. I can’t let something like that come between the two of us.”

*

It was hard for me to avoid Peeta now that he was home. It was especially hard to avoid my feelings for him. I spent just about all day with Gale. Other than him sleeping at home, while I am at my own shack, we spent every minute together. I was beginning to feel something for him. He had even surprised me once.

“Gale, please take off the blindfold. I don’t feel comfortable in the woods with it on. Besides I have walked these woods a thousand times. I know exactly where we are.”

“Will you stop trying to ruin the fun of the surprise?” he laughed. I paused, and thought for a moment.

“Oh, Gale.” I said, with a worried tone, trying to fake being lost and scared. “Where are you taking me, Gale? I feel so lost.”

“Nice acting, Moo.”

“Who’s acting?” I said, raising an eyebrow at him. He sighed.

“Fine.” I felt him reach behind me to untie the blindfold. “Can I still hold your hand?” He asked, sweetly. I smiled, blushing, and raised my hand for him to take. My hand was child-sized compared to his, but somehow, it still felt right.

“So what are we doing out here?”

“It’s a surprise.” I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“I’m not sure I like surprises.”

“Larsen, I know for a fact that you love surprises.” I bit my lip. He was right. Stupid, Gale. Knowing so much about me. I followed the rest of the way in silence. We came upon a blanket and a basket. I smiled.

“Is this a date, Gale Hawthorne?” He blushed.

“Yeah, I guess you could call it a date.”

“Aren’t I supposed to be asked out on this date?” his face half-dropped. He scratched the back of his neck.

“Larsen, would you go on a date with me right now?”

“I’m not sure. I might be busy.” I winked at him. He playfully hit my shoulder. “Yes, Gale. I would love to.” He smiled and walked us over to the blanket. He brought two bowls of bird soup and two cups of water. We ate mostly in silence, both of us not really knowing what to say. When we finished, I thanked him and told him it was very good.

“Are you alright, Moo?” I nodded.

“Of course. My head hurts.” He nodded. “I just wish I knew what happened to my dad.”

“In a world like this, it is probably best that we do not know.” I guess he was right. “Was this okay? For a first date?” I smiled. He was so nervous. I have never seen this side of Gale before. I admired it.

“It was perfect, Gale. But it was not necessary.”

“Yes, it was completely necessary. I want you back. I told you that. This is my plan to do that.”

“Take me on picnic dates?” I laughed. He shook his head.

“Love you.”

*

Later that night, Gale and I parted our ways. He had to go make sure his family was fed and frankly, I needed some sleep. I told him to come over later so we could watch something on the projector.

I had just gotten comfortable on my mom’s bed when there was a knock on my door. I groaned, throwing the blankets off of me. I stomped towards the door.

“Gale, since when do you knock?” I asked, swinging the door open. However, it was not Gale standing there. “Peeta.” I said, my heart was beating so quickly. I ignored it, slammed the door in his face, and began towards my mom’s room again. The front door opened and I turned around quickly. “What do you want? You want to break my heart again? You are damn good at that.”

“No, Larsen. I need to talk to you.”

“You have said everything, Peeta.

“I did it all for you! To keep you alive and okay.”

“So you kissed Katniss for me?”

“No! It is not like that. I am keeping this whole charade going because of you!”

“Charade?”

“Yeah! Me and Katniss. It is not real. She was doing it for the games.”

“All of Panem seems to think you guys are real.”

“Larsen, I promise you, it is not.” I bit my lip, still unsure. “I love you! I thought I loved Katniss until I found out she only did all of that for the games. She doesn’t love me.” I looked at him with the feeling that he was telling the truth.

“I don’t know, Peet.” He shook his head, and then stopped as if he got an idea. He crossed the room in a split second to kiss me. I got butterflies again. Just like the ones from Gale’s touch. The butterflies that I had never had with this boy. And yet, here they are, fluttering as quickly as possible in such a small place. When he pulled away my eyes were still shut, trying to savor the moment. I opened them when he spoke.

“Do you believe me now?” I shrugged my shoulders. “You’ve got to keep all of this quiet. It will save your life. I don’t know Katniss. I don’t love her. I love you. But I need to show Snow that I love Katniss.”

“President Snow?” He nodded. “Why?”

“Because we rebelled against the Capitol by almost eating Nightlock. We were both going to kill ourselves and the Capitol was not happy about it. We refused to let the Capitol be the one to kill us. They wanted a winner. We have to show that it was an act of love so he does not kill us himself.” I looked at him trying to see it as the truth.

“I don’t know, Peet. It sounds like the truth, but I can’t—I don’t know what to believe. And, honestly I think you should go. Gale is coming over soon.”

“Gale?” His face dropped.

“Yeah, Gale. He was my rock when you showed the world that you love Katniss.” I bit my lip, realizing that was probably a little harsh. “I’m sorry. I’m just confused. I need to think. Could you come out with me to the forest tomorrow? Gale will be busy.” He simply nodded and left.

*

Gale showed up about a half hour later. We did not watch anything on the projector. We did not even speak. He only joined me on my mom’s bed and hugged me. I turned around to face him this time.

“Have you talked to Katniss?” I asked. He nodded.

“I had to. She was always around when you were at her house.”

“Did she say anything about her and Peeta?”

“She did not know you two were together. She did not mean to hurt you. That is what she said anyway. I do not believe her.” So it was not a plan. It was not to save them. I sat up in bed trying to process it; trying to think. “I’m not speaking to her anymore if that is what you’re asking. Have you spoken to Peeta?” He followed in sitting up.

“No.” I said quickly. “Not since the other day.” That was probably the safer answer. I turned to look at him.

“Is something the matter?” I saw how worried he was in his eyes alone. Then nothing else mattered. I shook my head and smiled.

“No, nothing at all.” He smiled. “Gale?”

“Yeah?” I hugged him. “What?” he said, confused.

“I love you.” He pulled away. I saw the happiness on his face with no worry written.

“For real?” I nodded, and smiled. He touched my face with his thumb like he has done so many times before. “You do not know how happy that makes me.”

“No, I do. Because right now, I have never felt more together. I feel right and okay.” A tear rolled down my face and touched his thumb. He wiped it away and pulled my face to his and kissed me with more passion than he ever has. I felt the butterflies again and Peeta left my mind instantly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think there's only two more chapters after this? Not sure though. I might have lost count. There's either 12 or 13.

:)

Comment and Subscribe please :)