Status: Completed! Be awaiting a second part! Hopefully relatively soon!

Behind the Seams

The Future

Flash-forward 16 weeks

The air turned colder and I found myself starting to wear more and more clothing when I went out hunting. I still hunted every day, to avoid the tesserae. Gale joined me on Sundays if he was not too tired. He started working in the mines and had the luck of no longer being in the draw for the Games. However, he was always tired after work. I would usually bring food over to his house for his mom after I was done hunting, and help her with the kids until Gale got home. Gale always seemed to fall asleep in my lap early in the evening. I always felt so bad for him. Having to work all day and come home to sleep, only to wake up early again. Most of the time, Gale slept on Sunday. He tries to join me at least every other Sunday. I understand though. He is always so tired.

As for Peeta. He and Katniss were together. I did not believe that it was real. I saw the way that she looked at him, and something was not right about it. Part of me wants to ask him about it. Talk to him. But then the other half always remembers that he broke my heart about a thousand times. He looked at her like he always has. Like she was the only person for him. It is like she has him under some sort of spell. I still do not trust her as much as I used to.

Three months and I had not spoken to Peeta. Not until he was the one I had to sell game to at the bakery. As soon as I saw that blond head of hair standing behind the counter, I almost walked out of there. But he heard the bell, turned around and saw me. Too late now.

“Hi, Larsen.” He said.

“Peeta.”

“I’ve been wanting to come by and talk to you.” I was surprised.

“Really?” I asked. “Why?”

“Mainly just to say you can stop trying to dodge me for a while.” I acted like I had no idea what he was talking about. “Don’t play dumb. How do you think I knew to let my dad go off now?” Dang, he was right. “I wanted to say goodbye for a while. The Victory tour starts soon and Katniss and I will be off on quite a romantic journey.” I laughed. He caught this. “What?” I stopped. “Why did you laugh?”

“You believe her?” I asked.

He nodded. “Of course. I love her.”

“Peeta. As much as I hate you, I really don’t like seeing you hurt. So you should believe me when I say she is lying to you.” He shook his head. “Trust me. I know Katniss. I see the way she looks at you. It is not love.”

“Then what is it?”

“That part is harder to figure out. If you don’t believe me, go find her. And if she looks at you the way I used to, you’ll have your answer.” I turned on my heel and went for the door, leaving the game behind. “Don’t bother paying for it. Just take my advice.” I headed over to Prim’s house next. Sure, Katniss was probably there but I would not take any of her crap. I knocked on the door. Katniss answered. Of course.

“Can I help you?” I held out a bag to her.

“This is for Prim. Can I see her?” she nodded, holding the door open farther for me to come in. She called out for her and we waited. She stood there with me, making things incredibly awkward.

“I’m sorry.” She said from nowhere. I furrowed my brow at her, confused at first. Then realizing, I shook my head.

“No worries. I have Gale thanks to you. I couldn’t be happier.” She just nodded. I watched her. She looked upset. I narrowed my eyes at her. “I don’t blame you personally for what happened.” I said. “I don’t blame Peeta either.” She looked at me. “It was the Games. I know that they can mess with your head. I mean look at Haymitch. My problem is what you’re doing now.” She cocked her head to the side, signaling she was confused. “I know you don’t love him. And whatever you’re doing, whether it be to get Gale back or get back at me, it’s not going to work. All you’re going to do is hurt one of the last people who really, truly care about you. I don’t know exactly what happened in those Games, Katniss, since I didn’t watch most of them. You are not you anymore, Kat. Try and figure out who you are while you’re on your tour. And don’t hurt Peeta. Maybe when you come back we can be friends again.” Prim trotted down the stairs and saw me.

“Larsen!” she said. She ran to hug me.

“Hey, Rosy. You want to come over to Gale’s with me? We can hang out with the boys.” She nodded.

“Let me get my coat.” She ran to the kitchen. Katniss just stared at me. I did nothing but smile back. I could not tell if she was angry or upset, if she was either. Prim came back with her coat on. I put an arm around her shoulder and walked her out the door all the way to Gale’s house.

*

At Gale’s, I passed Gale’s mom the game. She thanked and hugged me after handing young Posy over. She laughed when she came into my arms. She and I have become quite close since I was over every day and always took her off her mom’s hands for a while.

“Hi!” I said joyfully, giving her a hug. She squealed with joy. I walked with her over to the tattered sofa and sat down with her in my lap. The boys were on the floor with a couple toy cars I bought for them from the Seam. Prim joined them. I smiled watching them play together without a care in the world.

Just a few months ago, that little girl was being reaped. She was having her world fall apart in front of her watching her sister go off to battle instead of her. I still was not sure how she would just move on from all of that. There was not a single part of me that regretted volunteering for her. She is an angel. There is nothing wrong with her.

Then I look at the little girl in my hands. So much younger. Someone who does not know what any of this world is around her. She sees so much joy in every one of her family members. I lay down with her on my chest, her eyes slowly closing. I wrapped my arms around her so she would not fall. I began to close my eyes myself, feeling Posy’s tiny breath on my neck.

*

“Larsen.” I heard a whisper, and felt a pair of lips on the side of my face. I slowly opened my eyes adjusting to the light. Posy was still asleep in my arms. I looked up to see Gale kneeling beside the couch. “You’re so good with her.” He smiled.

“You love this, don’t you?” I asked in all seriousness, gesturing to Posy. He blushed, still smiling.

“I love children.” He said simply. “And you are perfect with them.”

“Easy there, cowboy. I’m hardly seventeen.” He scratched the back of his neck. I slowly leaned up careful not to wake Posy and walked her to her cradle. I came back out to the main room and Gale took my hand and led me out of the house. He took me to our spot in the forest. The whole way there, I could feel his palms start to sweat. “What’s going on Gale?” I asked. He stopped. He looked so nervous. “Are you alright?” I asked. He was hardly ever nervous. He started to pace back and forth in front of me.

“You love me, right?” I laughed quietly.

“Of course. More than anything.” He stopped and smiled. He dug in his pocket and pulled something out of it.

“I love you.” I smiled, very confused.

“Gale? Are you alright, love?” I asked. He stepped in front of me, held out his hand in a fist facing down.

“Give me your hand.” I held out my hand to him.

“What’s this about?”

“Trust me.” I opened my palm. He rested his closed fist on it. “I love you. More than anything in this messed up world. I love your smile. Your laugh. How you are with my family: Posy and even Prim. I love how strong you are but you are still willing to be weak enough to let me in. I want you to know that I’m all in. And this is me placing my bet.”

“Please don’t tell me you’ve taken up gambling.” He laughed.

“No, dear.” His eyes darted from mine to his hand. “I know that I’m supposed to ask permission from your father.”

“Oh, God.” I said, finally realizing what was going on. “Gale!” he shushed me.

“However, circumstances being what they are, I took a trip to the bakery today.” I took my free hand and covered my mouth in shock as tears began to sting my eyes. “Mr. Mellark and I had a wonderful conversation. He said that he approves and that he knew your mom would too. And I know that you’re seventeen but like I said, I’m in. I do know that we have to wait a while. Hell, it doesn’t ever have to happen. But I know that you are for me. I want to know what you think.” Finally, he dropped a circular object in my hand. The tears fell from my eyes as I finally felt how real it was.

“Gale, you really didn’t.” I choked out between tears. He nodded his head.

“I did. It’s my mom’s. The ring my dad asked her this question with. He found it while he was digging in the mines. It must have been left over from what was before. My dad got her another ring somewhere along the way so she has all she needs. This one, she wanted you to have. You are a part of our family. Larsen, will you—”

“Yes! Yes! A thousand times yes!” he took the ring back from my hand and placed it on my finger. I hugged him tightly and he hugged right back. “I love you, Goose.” He laughed.

“I love you, Moo."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, please don't hurt me. I know how long it has been, but this is the last chapter in the first part. I'm working on the second part now, and I'm trying to make it so each chapter is longer, so it will probably take a little bit longer to get them out. I will post a fake chapter up here, telling you guys when the next installment is out. Thank you guys for reading and tell me what you think.

:)<3