Get it Right

The Party

I wasn’t playing my music today while I was practicing; instead I was waiting for my cell phone to ring. I guess you could say it’s a cycle, one that I really wish I could get out of, but a cycle none the less. The party night cycle, I wanted nothing more than to just stay in there and work my butt off practicing, but this annoying intuition and paranoia forced me to listen for the phone. It was only a matter of time, it was always only a matter of time.

I finally heard it, Bri’s personal ringtone; I quickly jumped in and got out. Of course I missed the call, but it only takes a second to call back. “Bri what’s up,” I asked.

“Jenna’s fucked up again,” Bri said.

“Is this, take my time walk, you can handle it for now run or 911 drive,” I asked. I desperately hoped it was one of the first two options, Bri is always worried.

“Umm,” she paused, “she’s drunk off her ass, completely high and she’s not listening to reasoning so I’m going to say 911.” She was talking really fast.

I sighed putting my hand to my forehead, “I’ll be there.” I wouldn’t go to a single party if it weren’t for Jenna and her lack of control. Bri can look out for her, but she’s not tough enough to get Jenna out of these constant horrid situations. This is such a current thing that on these nights I keep a spare dress in my bag. I wouldn’t want to show up to a party in my track suit, that would be weird. I put it on real quick and the slipped my sandals on before shutting off the lights. I ran outside looking at the options, I sighed as I ran across the street to the only car in the area. First I checked to make sure there was no car alarm and then I got in and hotwired it. Yes I hotwired the vehicle, can’t afford a car, at least I’m driving with a valid license. I try to play off that I’m innocent and not as bad as everyone says or thinks, but this is for a good reason right?

I drove about ten minutes before I found the house; it was obvious with all the cars and loud music I had heard five blocks ahead. This is the type of party I always pray the cops crash before the paparazzi. We all train and basically have no lives, so it’s just a whole bunch of athletes, known or unknown. Let me tell you, you can get major bucks for a picture of a national athlete screwing up, whether it’s drinking, drugs or if they find you in a room with someone. By the looks of things and the people draped along the lawn, I’m going to say this was pretty bad.

I dialed Bri’s number, “hello.” I kept shouting into the phone, but all I could hear was the stupid music. I would never find her in this mess. “Fuck,” I whispered putting my hand on my forehead.

“Look what we have here,” I heard the obnoxious voice of Aiden Matthews.

I stopped and sighed, but I didn’t turn to face him, “of course you’d be the first person I run into.”

“I knew the infamous Izzy Haze wouldn’t be able to resist a party,” he smirked

“Yes because you know so much about me,” I said sarcastically giving into his torment and turning to face him. I sighed, “do you happen to know where Bri is?”

He smirked, “yes actually I do.” I crossed my arms and looked at him, knowing him this was going to cost me something. “She’s in the kitchen,” his expression and demeanor changed and he just walked away. Awkward, weird, but whatever.

I found the kitchen and it was the room next to the living room. It was always easy to find Bri, just look for the most uncomfortable panicked person in the room. Or the one next to Nate, but right now it was definitely option 1. I almost laughed when I saw her looking around like a crazy person and I shook my head because it took her all of two seconds to find me. “Oh my God Izzy,” she ran over to me, “you seriously came just in time.”

“Slow down,” I tried to calm her down.

“No time,” she said, “paparazzi are pulling up,” she took a second to lean back and look out the window again; “yeah they just pulled up.”

I put my hand to my head and took a deep breath, “where is she?”

“Upstairs with…with…with,” I hit her softly so she would spit it out, “with I don’t even know who.”

I shook my head and grabbed her wrist, “well we got to hurry.” I dragged her upstairs hoping there wouldn’t be to many rooms. I was hoping that I wouldn’t hear the sound of an opening front door and nervous screams too soon. After about four rooms I found the right one and then turned back to Bri as I heard the signal that meant hurry. “Alright,” I spoke fast as we opened the door, “Bri get the window and climb out.” I looked at the people on the bed and pointed, “you whoever you are, get off of her and Jenna get up.”

“I don’t want to,” she pouted at the guy who rolled over next to her on the bed. She was obviously completely fucked up. She then rolled on top of him and said, “he’s so cute.”

I walked over to the bed and grabbed her, “no offense,” I said to the guy and then turned back to Jenna, “but he’s really not and the paparazzi are here.” I started dragging her to the window where Bri was waiting.

“Izzy, you are no fun,” she said trying to hit me, but failing soo bad.

“No the paparazzi are here, you are in your underwear and if you get caught you’ll be suspended,” I said almost at the window. “God your heavy,” I said as I tried to lift her up.

“I don’t care if I get caught,” she whined.

“Yes you do,” I said, “and you’ll thank me tomorrow.” I tried desperately to get her out the window, but I’m small and she was definitely taller and bigger than me. “Bri, ya mind helping.” Bri took hold and we got her out and I took a step to get out.

“Get my dress and shoes,” Jenna yelled. I shook my head and she pushed me, “I am not leaving without my shoes.”

I rolled my eyes, “fine, Bri keep her quiet.” I stepped in and ran to the side of the bed collecting her dress and her shoes and then took a step. Too late, why am I so nice? The paparazzi comes in and snaps a shot. This picture shouldn’t mean a thing; I am fully clothed merely standing by a bed with a naked guy. I have someone else’s clothes in hand. For anyone else this picture is nothing, but since it happens to be Isabella Haze, they will spin this to mean something far worse. I dropped the clothes at the shock of my horrible timing and then the man stepped out. I turned to the guy on the bed, narrowed my eyes and shook my head, “you sir, I hate you and you are at the top of my list.”

I poked my head outside and Jenna was knocked out on Bri’s lap, “you two can come back in, the coast is clear.” Bri nodded sympathetically and we both carried Jenna to the far side of the bed. I yelled at the strange dude to get out. And then we sat on the side of the bed and I let my head just fall, “I hate my life.”

“You could always rat Jenna out,” Bri said.

I shook my head, “no, she’s clean; I’m already the screw up.”

“But you’re not,” Bri said, “you’re a good friend and I’m sick of everyone coming down on you for little things like this, you didn’t do anything.”

“I already let Lily down,” I said, “I’m not going to let you two down. “

At this point Jenna opened her eyes and looked at me and smiled, “I love you; you’re my best friend ever.” She closed her eyes again and I looked at Bri and gestured down as if to say see.