Status: work in progress(:

Concrete Angel

Tryout

I woke up a wreck. I had bad dreams all night. I kept seeing my house and him. He was destroying my house, my home.

"Good morning beautiful" Joey says walking in the room a tray of waffles. Breakfast in bed, how sweet. I put all my other thoughts away and grinned up at him as he kissed my forehead.

"Beautiful? If I look like I feel, I doubt that." I say chuckling softly as he sits down with the plate.

"What's wrong?" Joey says looking worried.

"Just bad dreams. I'm good; just a little tired." I say patting his arm in comfort. He nods and offers me the food which I gladly take.

The rest of the day went by quickly. We did all the homework we put off and then went and played some ball for a little bit. It was exhausting enough to make me sleep through the night without any dreams which I was grateful for.

"TRYOUT DAY!" Joey yells waking me from my sleep. I throw a pillow at him but can't help but smile. He was so cute and now I could tell him. The very thought of that made me happy; even if I knew this could all end very badly. I was still happy which was all that mattered as of now.

"Wait!? Tryouts are today?" I say my eyes wide. Joey nods laughing at my face.

"I'm not ready! What if he hates me? Joey! I can't do this!" I say running my hand through my hair.

Joey comes to hug me but I move and go straight to the shower. I just wanted to freak out for a minute before he said anything.

"Izzy, you are ready." Joey calls through the door then I hear him walk away and the very picture of him in my head just made me grin to myself before getting in the shower. I think I'm lovesick.

School went by faster than I would have liked. If it was a normal day I wouldn't mind but I was starting to freak out. Joey threw his arm around me as we walked back to our room. The whole school was staring at us. I guess it had went around fast that I was taken now being the only girl and all.

We quickly changed and Joey took my hand sensing my worry as we walked to the field. He instantly made my mood go up a little bit but I still had the feeling of dread as the rest of the guys met up with us and the field came into sight. I released Joey's hand not wanting to seem like I was only coming for him. I would do anything to get on this team.

"My best players, bout time ya'll showed up." the coach says smiling. He was a very attractive young man that I had never seen before. I blushed deeply as he looked my way with a smile.

"I'm Coach Ian. And you must be the girl Joey told me about." Coach says shaking my hand.

"Elizabeth." I say clearing my throat.

"Well, I checked the rule books and talked to the board. If you're good enough to get on, they won't stop you from playing." Coach says and I nod getting myself ready. I see some other guys come up who look like they are new too so Coach goes and talks to them. Then the devil himself comes up or close to it.

"Zach! There you are. I was wondering when the rest of the team would show up. You been keeping those grades up?" Coach says hitting his back as Zach walks up to the team and newcomers.

"Zach's on the team?" I whisper to Joey with my eyes wide.

"He's third base." Joey whispers back trying not to look at me.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I whisper back trying to remain clam as Coach calls everyone to circle around.

"Didn't want to worry you. It's fine. If I can deal with him, you can." Joey whispers squeezing my hand tightly before letting go and turning to Coach.

"Alright, you all know the former team. Well, you might not. Here we go...guys step over behind me when I call your name out. Joey, is catcher." Coach says and Joey looks at me then walks behind Coach. Scotty comes up beside me and takes his place to help calm me.

"Zach is third base, Ron is shortstop, Scotty is second base, and Jake is first. Chris is outfield but sometimes subs for third." Coach says and soon I'm standing alone trying to breathe.

"So we need two more outfielders and subs of course. Oh and not to mention a pitcher which I'm sure many of you are here for." Coach says with a smile at all of us. He asks who wanted tryout for outfield and let them go first. Everyone but me went just in case.

"Pitcher then?" Coach asks me taking a seat to watch the guys play.

"Yeah, it's my favorite part of the game. I can catch some too but I prefer the mound." I say looking at him.

"Well, get out there. They can't play without a pitcher." Coach says and I smile grabbing my glove. Joey meets my eyes when I get on the mound and he grins like a fool knowing what was coming. I run my hand through the dirt as the Coach comes up with a bat.

"Let's play ball boys, Isabella; don't hold back. Give me all you got." Coach says and I grin even wider. Joey sends me a signal and I nod slightly. He could read my mind sometimes. I threw my first pitch and Coach missed it. I see Zach's mouth drop as Joey throws the ball back at me. Coach shakes it off but I can tell he's impressed. I end up striking him out. He is stunned.

"Any one who wants to sub for third come sub! Zach see if you can get a hit off of her." Coach says turning to Zach who grins evilly. My heart skipped a beat but I knew I could do this.

Joey looked at me sending me signals once again and I nod. He knows exactly what I want to give this guy. I throw a pitch each one harder than the previous one. Zach got a piece of one but didn't get a full hit. He seemed very angry about that. Coach called Jake to come hit next. They were all really good hitters apparently. Jake couldn't even get a piece of one. Ron and Chris both tried and were unsuccessful. Everyone was awed. Coach let me throw some pitches to the newcomers as well just to see how they hit. Then he said that his best two hitters were going to have a crack at me. I smiled knowing he left them for last to see if I would run out of steam. I felt great. Yes I was getting a bit tired but this wasn't as long as a game was. Scotty walked up to the plate clutching his bat. Joey gave me the signal and I nodded. He was making me look better than I was playing. He gave all the right signals and caught all my balls. Scotty fouled twice off of me but I still ended up striking him out.

"Joey! Switch places with Scotty." Coach yells and I freeze. I forgot Joey had to hit. I didn't know how Scotty would catch.

Joey smiles encouragingly at me as he takes his place on the plate. He fouled the first ball and missed the second one but Scotty also missed it. He wasn't in rhythm with me the way Joey was. Coach noticed. Joey fouled the third ball and Coach told me to give him one more. I did and Joey missed. This time Scotty caught it but barely. Coach said one more and I did. This time Scotty caught it and I sighed with relief. Scotty caught like Joey did and we did have somewhat of a connection so it wasn't a total wreck.

"Well, I have to say you and Joey are a match from heaven." Coach says walking to me on the mound so no one else could hear.

"I have to let the other tryout for subs but you are it Isabella. You're on the team." Coach says and I grin brightly and walk off the field throwing a ball to the person waiting. They all looked intimidated. Did I really do that good? They found a sub and we soon had a full team. Some guys who didn't make it left the field with their heads hung down.

I was not with them. I was running towards Joey's open arms. He lifted me up in the air and spun me around with joy. I was laughing and smiling along with him. The rest of the guys came up and all congratulated me. I was full of happiness for once. I loved this. I was meant to be on that field, and nothing was going to stop me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoop. She made the team(: Comments?