Sequel: Wanted You More
Status: Being written :)

Next To Me

Seven

Nicole:

It's been about a month since Mason's birthday and things are still great. Taylor spent the night last night, but he and Mason fell asleep in the living room while they were playing with some of Mason's new toys. I walked into the room this morning to find Mason sleeping on the floor surrounded by cars and Taylor on the couch sleeping with cars on his chest. I laughed as I started making coffee. "What the heck?" I turned around to see Taylor looking up to me. He sat up and all the cars fell to the floor. "Where did those come from?" "I'm guessing Mason put them there." he and I looked at Mason sleeping on the floor. Taylor laughed and then came into the kitchen. "He wore me out last night." "Here, you look like you need this." I handed him a cup of coffee and he smiled. "Thanks." I took a sip of my cup and checked my phone for any text messages. "So, my parents are coming to town."

I looked up from my phone. "Really?" "Yeah and they want to meet you." "When are they gonna be in town?" "Well they were wondering if we wanted to do anything tomorrow. They are driving up tonight." "Sure. What did they have in mind?" "They thought maybe lunch with you, Mason, and I. They also talked about coming to my game later tomorrow night too." "Wait, they want Mason to come?" "Yeah, I told them you have a son and they really want to meet him." "At least they are okay with it and aren't weird about it." We both laughed. "Yeah. So should we get him up?" I looked over at Mason. "I like he needs to sleep a little longer. You guys were up pretty late last night."

~~~~~~~~

I could hardly sleep last night knowing I was meeting Taylor's parents today. I was super nervous, but also excited. I woke up and gave Mase a small breakfast since we were going to lunch. "Mase what do you want to wear today?" I looked at him across the counter. "Something daddy bought me." He smiled and continued to eat his cheerios. "Okay. We can go pick your clothes out when you are done." Mason kept eating his cereal and I called Taylor. "Hello?" "Hey it's me." "Hey. So I'm on my way to your place now. My parents are gonna meet us there and we are gonna walk to the restaurant. Okay?" "Sounds good." "After I think we are gonna drive separate cars to my place and then later tonight we will go to dinner, then my game." "Okay, Mase and I are going to get dressed and we will see you when you get here." "Alright, love you both." "Love you too. Bye" "Bye Tayla!" Mason shouted with a mouth full of cereal. "Bye, tell Mase I said bye." "I will."

I hung up the phone and Mason was done with his cereal. "Done mommy." "Okay, let's get you changed, and Taylor wanted me to tell you he said bye." "Okay." He ran into his room and opened up his closet. "Which one do you want to wear?" "Um, that one." He pointed to an outfit with a dress shirt and some green khaki shorts. "Good choice, I think Taylor's parents will love it!" He smiled and I helped him change. Once he was changed he ran into the living room to play with some toys. I quickly changed clothes and joined Mason in the living room. There was knocking at the door and Mason ran to answer it. "Tayla!" "Mason!" He picked him up and gave him a hug. "What's up buddy?" "Nothing. Your mommy and daddy are coming." "That's right they are." I smiled as Mason ran back over to his toys. "Hey babe." Taylor walked over to me smiling. "Hey." I gave him a kiss and we sat the kitchen counter.

"So how are you feeling?" "Nervous, but excited." "Well don't be. You look great by the way. and Mason looks like a stud." I laughed. "Thanks. You look pretty good too. Mason is really excited to meet your mom and dad." Taylor smiled. "Really?" "Yeah. Although what is he gonna call your parents?" "Well, they will probably like you to call them by there first name, but he could maybe call them like grandma and grandpa." "Won't that make them feel old?" "True. How about like mimi and papa?" I laughed. "What? I mean that won't make them feel too old will it?"

"They are cute names, we can ask them when they get here." Taylor just smiled and we watched Mason play with his toys. there was a knock at the door and I got goosebumps I was so nervous. Taylor went to the door and I picked up Mason. I walked over and stood near Taylor. "Mom! Dad!" Taylor gave both of them hugs and invited them in. "Mom, dad, this is Nicole and her son Mason." "Hi it's so nice to finally meet you two." "Aw , thank you. You are such a sweet girl. Taylor has told us so much about you and Mason."

They both smiled and Mason wasn't to shy, he actually wanted Taylor dad to hold him. "Mase, can you say hi?" "Hi." he waved at them and we all laughed. "So, what should Mason call you guys? We thought grandma and grandpa would make you guys feel old, so we came up with papa and mimi." Taylor's mom smiled at his dad. "I like it. What do you think Steve?" "I agree. Papa sounds good to me." Mason motioned for Taylor's dad to pick him up, so he did. "Mase, can you say papa and mimi?" He pointed to Taylor's dad. "Papa." Then Taylor's mom. "Mimi!" We all laughed. "Good job Mase!" "So should we head out?" Taylor's mom led the way out and we left for the restaurant. As we walked to the restaurant, Mason was still being carried by Taylor's dad and it was so cute. "Hey Taylor. Looks like Mason has a new best friend." Taylor looked at Mason and laughed. "I don't think my dad could replace me." We all laughed as we arrived at the restaurant.

We got to our table and ordered our lunch. "So Nicole, tell us a little bit about you." "Well, I'm originally from Vancouver. I moved to Edmonton about three years ago. Um, and even though I have a son, I still graduated high school on time. I think that is it, I can't really think of anything else." "Now how come you moved to Edmonton?" Taylor's mom Kim asked me and then took a sip of her drink. "A new start for Mason and I. Plus, Jordan Eberle and I became like best friends about three years ago and he moved here around the same time. I figured if I moved here I would know I would have help if I needed it." "I must say, the fact that you finished high school on time and you are supporting your son means a lot." "It shows up a lot about the kind of person you are." I smiled. "Thank you. It means a lot to me to hear you say that." "your welcome. I can tell you are doing a great job raising Mason, he is a really amazing kid." "Thank you."

We finished our lunch and we headed back to my apartment to get our cars so we could drive to Taylor and Jordan's apartment. I quickly ran inside to grab clothes to change into later for Mason and I. I came outside and we all got in our cars. "See you guys there." Taylor's dad called to us from his car window. We waved and Taylor pulled out of my driveway and we left. "So it seems like they really like you." Taylor grabbed my hand. "Hey don't forget about Mason." "They loved him!" "Yeah and he really liked your dad." "He did. I'm surprised that Mason wanted him to pick him up right away at your apartment." "I know, but your dad loved it." We pulled into the driveway of Taylor's apartment and headed inside with Taylor parents who pulled up next to us.

Taylor opened the door and Mason ran inside. "Ebly!" Jordan came out of his room on the phone. Mason stopped as Jordan told him to shh. Mason put a finger to his lips and told all of us to shh. We laughed quietly as Jordan finished his call. "Mason!" He ran over and picked him up. "Hey buddy." He put him down and gave Taylor's mom a hug and shook Taylor's dad's hand. "how are you Jordan?" "Good. How are you guys?" "Good. We just went out to lunch with these crazy kids." Taylor and I just smiled. "Very cool." "We are going to dinner later and then the game. You should come." "Oh I don't want to cut into your time with them. Plus my girlfriend is coming to the game." "Well you are like a brother to Taylor, you will always be invited." "Thank you." Taylor's mom smiled at him and we all sat in the living room and hung out until it was time to get ready to leave for dinner. Once we were changed we were ready to go.

We took Taylor's car to dinner and his dad had a fun time with Mason in the back. They were playing with two cars that Mason grabbed from our house. We got to the restaurant and had a really amazing dinner and left for the game. We took our seats behind the bench and waited for the game to start. Mason sat on Taylor's dad's lap the whole game and his mom and I were constantly grabbing onto each other whenever Taylor was checked hard. We both were afraid he might get hurt. We all got up and cheered when Taylor scored the game winning goal. After the game we all headed down to the locker room to wait for Taylor. A few of the guys said hi to Mason and I on their way out. Mason was becoming quite a popular guy with Taylor's teammates. "Hey great game son." Taylor gave his dad a hug. "Thanks." "Nicole and I were so scared when you took the puck to the foot, we thought you were really hurt." He gave his mom a hug and laughed.

"Well it hurt really bad, but once I skated on it, my foot felt fine." "I think I found someone who gets as nervous as I do when you get hit." I laughed and gave him a kiss. "I think so too. Hey Mase!" He picked up Mason and gave him a high five. "Good game Tayla. I liked your goal." "Thank you buddy, I'm glad." We walked out to the car and drove back to Taylor's so his parents could get their car. "Well, we had an amazing day with you three and I'm so sad that we have to leave." "Me too." I gave his mom and dad a hug and Mason did the same. "You guys have to leave?" "Yeah we do, but we are gonna be back real soon okay Mase?" "Okay." Mase was a little upset, but he would be okay. "Bye mom. Bye dad." Taylor said his goodbyes and his parents got in the car. Before they pulled out they rolled down the windows to say one last goodbye.

"Bye Nicole, bye Taylor, bye Mason!" "Bye papa, bye mimi!" They laughed and waved. "Bye guys!" Taylor and I got in our car after they left and headed home. "I think that went really well." "I think so too. I officially love you parents." "Me too!" We looked back at Mason and smiled. "Are you gonna miss them Mase?" "Yeah, I'm gonna miss them lots." "Well don't worry they don't live too far we will see them again soon." "Okay." He looked out the window as we continued to drive.
"I'm really happy they liked you, I knew they would." I smiled at him and then gave him a kiss. "I'm happy they liked me and mason too. I wish they didn't have to leave tonight though. I love your parents." "I could tell, you guys got along great. I know they didn't want to leave either, but they will be back soon. Or maybe we will go visit them if we have time." "That would be cool to see where you grew up. Maybe even see some little baby Taylor pictures." "Haha, I will make sure to hide every photo album in my house so you can't see them." "I will call your mom and tell her to hide them from you so I can see them." "You are crazy." "But that's why you love me." "That's true. I do love you."

He gave me a kiss and I rested my head on his shoulder and held his hand as we drove home. I wish his parents didn't have to leave. I love them, and they really loved Mason. It was nice for him to have a family like experience with them here since he doesn't really see his grandparents. Hopefully we can accomplish a visit with Beau and Taylor together in the near future. I knwo Mason would really love that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update finished. I LOVE all the comments I am getting, so keep them coming. I am so glad you guys like this story so thank you so much for reading!