The Princess of Wales

Holiday

I fell asleep after I told Zayn about everything that went on today. I just about told him everything that went on in my therapists office as well. He was so patient and understanding with me, so when he asked more questions about my mother and my family in general, I felt he deserved to know. Bloody hell, he let me sob my eyes out in his bed, it was the least I could do. I told him how alone I felt today since my brothers and I were apart. I told him everything about my father and his wife. How they hate me, how father denied me as a child. I even told him how the almighty queen loved me but didn’t respect me. When I woke up from my nap, I was surprised to see Zayn still laying with me, his hand laid gently on my stomach.

“You’re awake.” Zayn smiled.

“Hi.” I returned a smile as I turned to face him in bed. “I want to thank you for being here for me in my time of need. I might of been a bit dramatic and I really hope I didn’t intrude on your plans for the day with me coming here.”

“Stop, Char.” He laughed. “I’ll always be here for you, no matter what. And don’t worry. I know telling me you’re in therapy was huge for you so I want you to know, I won’t ever mention it. I know it makes you uncomfortable.”

“I don’t know how to thank you. You’re not what I expected.”

“Just say the words.” He smiled. “I’m gonna be gone for the week, visiting the states with the lads. I can leave a key for you, just in case you need to escape for a while.”

“That’s very thoughtful, but no thank you.” I said. “I’m taking Holiday to visit with family. First my mothers brother in Northamptonshire and then my cousins in South Africa.”

“Sounds like a much needed holiday.” He said. “When do you leave?”

“My plane leaves tomorrow morning, I’m all packed and ready to go.”

“I leave tomorrow as well. Since you’re ready to go, then maybe you should stay the night.”

Before I got the chance to answer, my phone started to ring. It was Victoria…probably checking up on me. I gave Zayn a smile before answering the phone. “Hello.”

“Hey, babe. Fancy going out tonight? I’m sure you need it…how was your day?”

“Oh, I can see the headlines now. ‘Princess Charlotte drowning her sorrows in liquor because of her poor mummy’s death.’ The article will be complete with pictures of me pissed, of course. They’ll probably even say I’m sobbing on the pavement. Not tonight, Vick.”

“Are you sure? Are you alright though?” She said.

“I’m fine, love. I promise. I’m staying at Zayn’s tonight then tomorrow I start my holiday.”

“Oh you and lover boy, yeah?” She teased. “Make sure you have lots of sex before you go. Oh wait, you’re not dating…so any fit men you meet in South Africa are fair game.”

“Goodbye, Victoria. Love you!”

“Love you, babe!”

I laughed as I hung the phone up and turned my attention back to Zayn. I knew I looked beastly from having cried off all my makeup, but that didn’t stop me from straddling him. “Yes, I’ll stay the night. One condition though.”

“What’s that, princess?” He asked as he ran his hands up my thighs.

“I’m absolutely starving, so you and I are gonna go out for a couple drinks and some food.”

“Wait…you wanna be seen out in public with me again?” He laughed. “Really?”

“Well you weren’t a total bore the first time and like I said, I’m starving.”

I was still dressed to be seen in public, but I couldn’t do anything about my face, I wiped the smeared makeup off and decided to go au natural, aside from a bit of eyeliner residue. I was always told I had a graceful glow to my face, a natural beauty. Well, now more than ever I hoped it to be true. We arrived at the restaurant — TGI Fridays, I’m a sucker for American food. The sun had already set but we were still wearing sunglasses and kept them on as I asked to speak to the manager as soon as we arrived.

“I’m the manager, Carol. Is there something I can help you guys with?” The woman asked when she walked over to us.

I pulled her off to the side then slid my glasses down my nose a bit, just enough for her to recognize me. Her eyes widened a bit and I placed my index finger to my mouth. “Hello. I’m very hungry, had a bit of a rough day and I’d really fancy a drink.”

“Of course, Princ-“

“Please, just Charlotte, love. What I’m asking for is discreetness. We’d just like to blend in and enjoy our night.”

“Absolutely, I’ll set you up with a lovely seasoned server and seat you in a semi-private area. You won’t feel so excluded yet you won’t be bombarded. Follow me right this way, I’ll get your drinks and your server will be right with you.”

“Thank you.”

“Thank you.” Zayn said before we gave her our drink orders. He just got a beer and I ordered a pina colada, and a water with lemon on the side. “Now what if that would’ve backfired and everyone would of freaked out?”

“I knew it wouldn’t.” I grinned. “It was better than having some ditz blond for a server, her seeing you and freaking out. Besides, I blend it quite nicely. You’re the one who sticks out.”

“How is that possible? I may be famous but you’re royalty!”

I laughed at him as our drinks arrived. “Who’s more likely to be seen out in public at some average priced restaurant, me or you?”

“Among all these commoners? Definitely me.”

“Nobody would believe I’m here.” I grinned, taking a sip of my drink. “This ones on me, by the way.”

“There’s no way that’s happening, princess.”

“Oh please, you don’t need to feel emasculated or anything.”

“I don’t, not at all.” He laughed. “Because I’m paying.”

Our served arrived back at our table and we ordered a lot of food. We got a couple appetizers, I ordered the messiest cheeseburger on the menu and Zayn got wings. I also had a little fit when I saw they served hot dogs and also ordered two of those for us.

“So excited for American food!” I beamed

“Have you been to the states?”

“Twice.” I said. “But it wasn’t much fun, I had handlers both times and they’re worse than the secret service. Ugh, can’t get anything past them. They’re the reason why I have to take an unnecessary plane trip to Northamptonshire.”

“They won’t allow you to drive?”

“Nope.” I said. “Not alone, because I’m gonna die or get kidnapped in less than two hours apparently.”

“That’s got to be rough. I mean, we have bodyguards of course, but we can usually escape them if we want to break away.”

“Lucky.” I laughed and took another sip of my drink. “My handlers try to know where I’m at at all times, especially when I’m away at school.”

Our food arrived at the table and we started to eat, we ordered some more drinks as well as we continued to talk.

“How’d you get away with all the things you’ve done at school?”

“Well, I have a few good friends there. They like to cover for me and give false information when palace security comes knocking.” I said. “Of course, not everybody at my school is a fan. Most of them have no problem providing information, especially when the palace is making cash bribes.”

“They bribe the students?!” Zayn laughed in disbelief.

“Of course, love.” It was a normal thing for me, nothing bizarre about it at all. “When my grandmother wants to know something, she’ll stop at nothing for her information. But enough about that. What are you guys doing in the states?”

“Well, our new video premieres on Vevo this week. We’ll be in the states doing promo and just talking about the new album and stuff.”

“Are you excited for the new album?”

“Yeah.” Zayn said. “Should be good.”

I wasn’t convinced though. Zayn was in the biggest band in the world, with a new album on the way. His face didn’t light up or anything, something about his face just screamed ‘business as usual.’ “Are you sure?”

“What do you mean, Char?”

“You just don’t sound very enthusiastic, that’s all.’ I said.

“Oh, no. Don’t get me wrong. I love my band, I love the guys. I appreciate all thats happened to us in such a short amount of time, and I’m very grateful.” He said. “I just know what comes next. The non-stop working, being homesick. That parts gonna suck.”

“At least the five of you will have each other for support, that’s whats important.” I smiled.

“You’re right.”

“Can you tell me about the album? Or is it just gonna be some manufactured pop shit like the last one?”

“Ouch, princess. That was harsh.” Zayn laughed, acting like he was hurt. “But you’re right. This one is different, its a little more mature and we actually got to write the songs on this one. You know the kind of music I listen to, so its definitely not my style, I’m just hoping we get better with each album.”

“Of course you will.” I smiled. “Every artist gets better with every album, you guys included it. You’re gonna smash it, Zayn.”

“Thank you.” He smiled back.

We had a few more drinks before heading back to his place and watched a movie before bed. When we woke up in the morning, Zayn had the bright idea to go to the airport together. I knew we shouldn’t of done that, but shit…everyone already thinks we’re dating anyway. So a car drove us to my home so I could collect my things. I knew I wasn’t getting out of the house unnoticed, so I respectfully stopped when my father called my name. We still haven’t discussed the giant elephant in the room, and we weren’t going to this morning either.

“You never came home after therapy yesterday-“

“I, um, had a very rough session. We finally discussed mum and I wasn’t in a good place after that.” I saw him leaning in to comfort me, but I backed away, that would of been anything but comforting. “I just needed my space and to be by myself.”

I knew he wanted to ask where I was, if I was with Zayn or not. But he resisted, for his own benefit I’m guessing. “Very well then. I know you have a flight to catch, so I won’t keep you. Even though I’m very much against you going to South Africa, I just want you to be careful. Just be mindful of who’s watching, Charlotte.”

“See you soon, father.” I gave him a small smile before I walked out the door. He wasn’t getting a goodbye hug out of me, the smile did just fine. My handlers got into a separate car and took my bags with them. I got back into Zayn’s car and he handed me back my latte. “Sorry about that, my dad wanted to chat.”

“It’s alright, your flight leaves before mine anyway.”

“My unnecessary flight.” I laughed.

“Are you and your father ever going to talk about your, ya know, childhood?”

“I suppose we will eventually.” I said. “See how I feel after holiday, hopefully I’m not as emotionally drained.”

“Wish I could make you feel better.” Zayn said, wrapping an arm around my shoulder as we approached the airport.

“You’re being supportive and you’re not obligated to, that’s plenty.”

“I care about you, that’s all.”

I looked away from him, not believing he said that. I mean, one would assume he cares, considering what he’s done for me. I just didn’t expect the words to come out. It kind of made my heart skip a beat, in some weird sort of way. Ugh. I wouldn’t be seeing Zayn for over a week, this is probably the perfect opportunity to wrap my head around the whole situation. Maybe get a grip on things. I had to change the subject. “So, if you get asked about me…”

“I’m gonna tell everyone we’re just friends, don’t worry.” He laughed.

“Are you sure?” I teased him. “Because last time you froze up on bloody live television. What was it that you said? No com-“

“Okay, smart ass.” He shut me up. “Now I’m prepared for it. It’ll be alright.”

The car came to a stop and we were at the airport. “That’s us.”

“So I’ll see you soon.”

“Yeah. Have fun in the states, enjoy yourself.”

“I will.” Zayn said. “I hope you enjoy your holiday.”

He pulled me in for a mini make out sesh before I got out and went into the airport with my handlers. There was no way we were walking into the airport together, I wasn’t that thick. Besides, my family would probably murder me or try to marry me off or something along those lines. I vowed to take this holiday to figure out what the hell is going on between the two of us and handle it properly.