The Princess of Wales

Skype Conversations

“HARRY!” I yelled when I opened up my invitation to Skype. “Oh my god!”

“Hey, little sister.” He said. This Skype conversation was so unexpected. I threw my hand over my mouth, my eyes wide. I haven’t seen my brother in a month. “Oh stop crying, you bloody pussy.”

“Shut up, twat.” I huffed. “It’s just so good to see you. You look well, how’s it going?”

“It’s going quite alright. I won’t bore you with the details of my actual job, but it’s going good.” Harry said. “Really got to bond with all the guys, I’m definitely in my element here. Just yesterday, we saw some kids, talked with them a bit. We even played a bit of football.”

“That’s great to hear. I’m happy none of you are shooting them.”

“Of course not, Char.” He said. “It’s been good. So far so good. Where are you, by the way?”

“I’ve actually been visiting uncle Charles for a couple days, got to meet little Lady Charlotte. I’m heading to South Africa today to see the girls.”

“That’s great. Enjoying your stay?”

“Yes.” I said. “It came at the perfect time actually. Uncle Charles and I talked a lot about Mum, he says I remind him of her.”

“And how were you on her anniversary?” Harry asked.

“A mess, actually.” I laughed. “I got a phone call from Wills, I got your letter and I had therapy that day. I told Dr. Weiner everything.”

“I’m proud of you, Charli. I wish I could of been there with you. Is therapy going well?”

“It is.” I smiled, he told me to embrace the process, so that’s what I’m trying to do. “I’ve opened up a lot to him recently and I don’t know, I wouldn’t say I feel better. But I do feel different.”

“That means it’s working, sis.” Harry smiled. “How are things with dad?”

“Terrible.” I laughed again. “Honestly, it’s been so bad. We got into a huge fight and I finally told him what grandfather told me.”

“You did? Charlotte!”

“It was a fucking long time coming, let me tell you.” I said. “So that happened and we haven’t really spoken much since. He’s been wanting to talk about it, I guess tell his side of the story. But I’ve been so drained from the whole fight and then the thing with Mum, I haven’t been up for it.”

“I can’t tell you what to do in this, Char. I know your relationship with dad hasn’t been great and I feel awful about that. When you’re ready though, you guys have to talk things out.”

“I know. I hope things get better between us. But Camilla, she disgusts me and that’s something that will never change. You lot better not expect me to make up with her.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it and that’s your choice.” Harry said. “So…how’s Zayn? Or am I too late, have you already kicked him to the curb?”

“Harry!” I yelled. “It’s been wild. Why are we talking about me though? I want to hear about you.”

“Why are you changing the subject?” Harry asked.

“Because not everything is about me, H.”

“I want to talk about you, not me.” Harry said. “I told you all that is to report over here, now spill.”

“I don’t know what’s going on in my head, to be honest.” I confessed. “I’m terrified.”

“Of what?”

“Zayn told me he cares about me.”

“Oh no, that poor bastard.” Harry laughed. “I guess I won’t be meeting him after all.”

“This isn’t funny, Harry! This is serious!”

“What? Why are you getting so worked up over the bloke?” He questioned me. “Do you care about him too?”

Do I care about Zayn? I can’t believe I have to question myself on the matter. I mean, it’s not impossible. I’ve spent the past two days going back and forth in my head about the situation. I decided to let Zayn go before this goes any further, for both our sakes. Then I decided I wanted to keep him around a bit longer, because maybe I’m not ready to let him go yet.

It’s crazy how much I’ve allowed myself to open up to him over time, I didn’t expect it. It kind of caught me off guard. Zayn saw me in my most vulnerable state and there’s just no coming back from that. I’d never let anybody see me that way.

“I’m afraid of him.” I said. “I’m afraid of the way he makes me feel, I’m almost allowing myself to trust him. I told him I was in therapy, and about our parents. I’ve cried in front of him! He doesn’t judge me like most people do, he doesn’t think I’m crazy for being in therapy. He’s so patient, he doesn’t push me to talk about things.”

“Charlotte.” Harry started. “Are you sure you haven’t fallen in love with him?”

“Of course I haven’t!” I nearly yelled at him. I couldn’t believe he would even think that was a question that needed answering. Of course I’m not in love with him! “Maybe I might care about him too, is all.”

“Don’t you think you should do something about that?”

“Like get rid of him?” I asked. “Yeah, I know. I’ve been going back and forth about it. I know it’s what I’m supposed to do, but I’m not sure how I should do it. I don’t even think I want to.”

“You’re mental, you know that? You don’t have to push every single guy away that you might care about.” Harry said. “He doesn’t look too bad from where I’m sitting. He seems to genuinely care about you, Char. The real you.”

“I guess he might.”

“I know you care about him too. I know you do. Because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be tempted so much to break your stupid little rule.”

“What the hell am I supposed to do then, Harry?”

“Stop trying to sabotage what you guys have and let it be.” He said. “I think he’s good for you.”

I think he’s good for me too, that’s the scary part. What happens if we actually get together and he realizes how much of a fucked up person I actually am? I don’t think I’d be able to take it if I allow myself to be with him and then something awful happens. How would I recover from that? I chatted with Harry a bit longer before he went to Skype Wills. It was good having somebody to talk to about Zayn, but it didn’t give me any clarity at all. If anything, it confused me even more. After our call, I packed my bags and got ready to leave for the airport.

“Okay, it looks like I’m off, Uncle Charlie.” I said.

“Hate to see you go so soon, Charlotte.” He said, bringing me in for a hug. “It was great to see you again, I’m really glad you got to meet your new cousin. I think your presence it just what I needed after the anniversary.”

“Yours as well.” I said. “This was definitely the place I needed to be. Thank you for talking about mum with me.”

“Of course, Char. I know you’re having a rough time with your father right now, but things will get better. No matter what, remember you’re loved, even when it doesn’t feel like you are.”

“Thank you.” I gave him one last hug. “I’ll tell the girls you said hi.”

I slept the whole time during the flight to South Africa. I only had one handler with me this time and he woke me up about 20 minutes before landing. We came to an agreement, he allowed me my space under the condition that he accompanies me when the girls and I hit the clubs. Partying in South Africa is way different from being in London. Back home, there's cameras everywhere, whether it be the paparazzi or randoms taking pics on their phones. Its much more laid back in South Africa, sure there's pictures to be taken, but its much more low key. Even if I do happen to get in trouble or photographed, its not very likely for my family to catch wind of it.

I caught up a bit on social media as I waited for the plane to land. I saw a link about Zayn and I that caught my attention, a video. Zayn Malik: “Charlotte is a really good friend”. I immediately clicked on it to see what it had to say, I just knew I’d be brought up.

”This next question is for Zayn. There’s tons of rumors all over social media, it’s in the magazines, on the news, everywhere. This was the #1 asked question on twitter from One Direction fans. Are you dating Princess Charlotte? Your fans are going crazy, really rooting for you guys to be this ridiculous power couple. In fact, Princess Charlotte is definitely the most liked ‘1D girlfriend’ or potential girlfriend any of you has ever had.”

“Yeah, Charlotte’s great.” Zayn smiled proudly. “Um, we met through a mutual friend, Louis’ girlfriend actually and we’ve uh, hit it off. Charlotte and I just get on really well, vibe off each other, you know? She’s a blast to hang out with, she’s a really good friend.”

“Just a good friend?” The interviewer pressed on. “There’s no budding romance going on between the two of you?”

“No romance, mate. We have a really good friendship, that’s all.”


His response this time was much better than that bloody no comment bullshit he let slip out of his mouth. I went ahead and watched the video clip one more time before putting my phone away. I couldn’t help but notice the way he smiled when he talked about me, I thought it was pretty cute. After a fairly short car ride, I arrived at my cousins’ home in South Africa. I rang the bell and was greeted by Amelia.

“BABES!!!” She cheered when she opened the door.

“Oh my god!” I screamed like a little priss. She pulled me into a hug and nearly pulled me into the house. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages!”

“That’s because it has been ages, love!” She said. “Liz! Charli is here!”

“Charli?” Eliza, her twin sister, called from the other room. She appeared in the door way and ran over to me, nearly knocking me down. “CHARLI!”

There was a bit more screaming before the three of us settled down. This was typical behavior for us, we always act like prissy little bitches when we haven’t seen each other in a while. I am only this way with them, though. They’re almost like the sisters I never had. I envied them, for not only having each other, but an older sister as well. When the three of us get together, along with their older sister Kitty, we really are a force to be reckoned with. My father and grandmother absolutely hate when we’re together, usually assuming the worst will happen. My father always suggest I spend my time with Beatrice and Eugenie, my ‘good cousins’ as they say. But why would I? They’re complete fucking bores!

“Well, I’m ready to party!” I grinned. “Is it too early to start drinking?”

“Never.” Amelia laughed, suggesting we all go into the kitchen. She made the three of us some drinks and we sat around catching up. “So how was visiting our father?”

“Great.” I smiled. “Little Charlotte is to die for! Uncle Charlie and I had some chats about my mum, it was nice.”

“We spent most of the summer with him this year.” Eliza said. “We were going to invite you up but it seemed like you were having a very busy summer.”

“Shut up, wipe that grin off your face!” I laughed at her, knowing exactly what she meant.

“So how is Zayn?” She asked.

“And by how, she means how is he in bed!” Amelia laughed.

“Great and great.” I laughed. “But seriously, we’re just friends.”

“Yeah, we got that from the interview we saw on twitter. We don’t actually believe that though.” Eliza said.

“Okay, we’re friends who like to fuck, happy?”

“Now that sounds more believable.” She said.

“Enough about me.” I put the brakes on the Zayn conversation, I knew those two could go all day talking about my personal life. “Tell me whats going on with you guys. Boyfriends?”

“We’re actually both single at the same time for once, it’s weird.” Amelia said. “I just broke up with my boyfriend a few weeks ago.”

“And I’m just exploring my options.” Eliza laughed. Then their brother, Louis, walked in the kitchen. I haven’t seen him since Will and Kate’s wedding last year. Even though it wasn’t that long ago, he looks like a whole new person.

“Look at this 17 year old lady killer.” I stood up to hug him.

“That’s what they call me.” Louis grinned, returning my hug. “How’s my favorite cousin?”

“Doing pretty good.”

“I was talking about Harry, duh.” He laughed. “Just kidding.”

“Sure, jerk. Harry’s doing pretty good. I just talked to him this morning, actually.”

“Good! I’m glad he’s staying safe.” He said. “Now if you’ll excuse me ladies, I have a date to get ready for.”

“What else is new.” Eliza rolled her eyes.

Louis made his exit quickly, but not before snapping a pic of the two of us and putting it up on Instagram, calling me his ‘favorite cousin’. The three of us had another drink and did more catching up. Finally, Kitty walked in the door.

“What are you sluts doing?” She asked, walking up and pulling me in for a hug. “Hey, love!”

“Just waiting for you to grace us with your presence.” I laughed. “I need to have some fun tonight.”

“Well what are you girls waiting for? Get ready!” She grinned. “We’re going out!”