Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

Confused

Image

That evening I went out with Hudson, Jules, and Amelia to a bar not far from where we lived. We sat in a booth in the back, laughing as we each cradled a pint of European beer in our hands celebrating the big step Hudson and Jules had taken.

Hudson and Jules had accepted the offer they received from Food Network's hit show Diner, Drive-Ins, and Dives and were going to be visited at the end of this month by the famous chef, Guy Fiery. I kissed Hudson on the cheek and whispered in his ear, "Congratulations."

He smiled down at me and softly kissed my lips, lingering against them for a moment. "Nothing could be more perfect than celebrating my success with the one I love the most."

I grinned and wrapped my arm around his, bringing myself closer to him as I listened to Amelia and Jules battle over who could talk the most and the loudest. I just laughed.

"And this time you'll actually be able to meet a celebrity chef, I feel bad you never got to meet Bobby." Hudson turned his attention back to me.

I bit my lip. "When is Guy coming again?"

He thought for a quick moment, "October 28th."

I hadn't gotten around to telling him about New Orleans, I figured that it was now or...well, now I guess. "About that Hudson, could we talk in private for a moment?"

He furrowed his brow and slowly nodded, "Yeah sure. Let's go outside." He turned to Amelia and Jules, "We'll be right back."

We left the table and went out in front of the bar, I quickly wrapped my arms around myself to keep my bare arms warm. A few people were outside either smoking or waiting for a taxi.

"What did you wanna talk about?" He asked, looking down at me.

"Hudson, I've been assigned to go cover the Voodoo festival in New Orleans at the end of this month. We're leaving on the 27th and won't be home till Halloween, or November 1st the latest." I sighed, feeling a pang of guilt for disappointing him. His expression slowly dropped and he nodded.

"That really sucks...but if it's for work, I can't ask you to stay back." He sighed.

"I'm sorry love, I would love to stay here with you, but this is a really big event for me to cover. Jann has never given me an assignment this big before." I put my hands against his shoulders and buried my face into his chest.

He put his arms around me and held me close. "It's okay Avery, I know that our careers require us to dedicate ourselves fully. You'll get to watch the episode when it airs anyway."

I nodded. "Again, I'm really sorry."

I could feel him nod. We stood in our own silence despite the distant sounds of traffic and the loud laughter of the people close by.

"Wait, you said we. Who and you are going to New Orleans?" He asked, gently taking a step back from me.

My stomach knotted and I swallowed. "Uh, that was the second thing I needed to tell you."

He waited for me to continue.

I took in a breath. "Jann is sending Christian with me."

He raised a brow. "Christian, the guy that sits across from you?"

I nodded.

"Why?" He spoke in a low voice.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Well I'm just a writer, he's the creative director, he knows what pictures should be taken and what specifically I should write about."

"Avery, you're perfectly capable of knowing what to write and you are perfectly capable of taking pictures." His expression changed from a soft and understanding one to an irritated one.

I made a face and shook my head. "Hudson, this is my job. My relationship with Christian is professional and this trip is strictly business. I can't believe you're doubting me."

"I'm not doubting you, I'm just-"

"Just what Hudson? You're insinuating that something is going to happen while I'm away."

"I just don't like the idea of you going off with this guy." He loudly sighed, shaking his head.

"Why? Because he's older? Because I'm young and you think I'm this fragile and naive girl? Well I'm not, I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself." I turned away, my arms crossed over my chest.

"Avery, all I'm saying is that a guy that age with no committed relationship is the kind of guy that has ideas in his sick mind about girls like you."

"Girls like me, Hudson? And what kind of girl am I? Please, elaborate on that."

"You're sensitive and you trust people too quickly after meeting them."

I rolled my eyes. "That's just another way of saying I'm fragile and naive. You haven't even met Christian, he's not like that."

"Maybe he doesn't seem like that now, but just you wait Avery, come October 27th and he's gonna be all over you."

I stared at him in hurt and disbelief. I've known Hudson to be the jealous type, but to go this far and act out like this really bothered me.

I sighed and looked at the pavement. "I thought we knew each other better than this. Eric accused me of the exact same thing the night he put me in the hospital." I turned away, "I'm going home." I then walked back into the bar to grab my coat. Amelia knows me all too well and recognized the expression on my face.

She got out of the booth and stopped me before I could leave, "Avery, what's wrong?"

"I'll talk to you tomorrow." I quietly spoke, fighting back tears. I pulled away from her hold and walked out of the bar, avoiding eye contact with Hudson and quickly hailing a cab. As soon as it pulled over I climbed in and ordered the driver to take me away from the bar A.S.A.P.

During the cab ride I fought my hardest to keep the tears from falling. I was never one to express my emotions as fully as some, especially when it came to crying; I hated it and as a result, rarely cried. I felt confused and hurt, I hated this side of Hudson, how could he be so jealous of someone he never met and heard of only a few times.

Back at the apartment I sat in a warm bath and tried to find at least a physical relaxation, despite my frustrated and racing mind. I felt more sad and alone than ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment and Subscribe :)

Oh how I love cliffhangers :}