Sequel: Here With Me

Sunday in New York

"Trouble in Paradise?"

Image

The Next Day

Hudson didn't come home last night, but I had received a text from Jules telling me that Hudson spent the night at his place. It had given me enough time to cool off but I felt bad for our fight last night and I couldn't hide my sadness in the office.

As I typed at my computer writing an article, Christian kept turning his eyes up to glance at me but I ignored him, fearing he'd ask me what was wrong. I kept screwing up on my typing from not being able to focus and sighed, staring at the screen.

"Trouble in paradise?" Christian spoke.

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. He asked the dreaded question...well, some form of it at least.

"What?" I quietly asked.

"I've seen enough girls with boyfriend troubles."

"And that's where you come in?" I raised a brow at him.

His lips curved into an impish smile. "Maybe, but let's not change the subject. What's wrong?"

I lowered my eyes and sighed, sitting back into my chair. It was embarrassing and I didn't want to tell him, how could I? My boyfriend thinks you're a Don Juan (though that's not far from the truth) and that you're gonna put the moves on me in New Orleans.

I shrugged my shoulders, "We had a fight last night."

"About?"

I looked at him. "You sure like to get personal, don't you?"

He lightly laughed. "Yes, I do."

I smiled half-heartedly. "He thinks you're gonna...make a move on me when we go to Louisiana." I looked down and could feel my face going red, I can't believe I just said that.

"Well that was the plan."

My gaze shot up to meet his. He was grinning and then broke into laughter, "I'm kidding."

I gave a sigh of relief.

"We haven't even met, why would he think that?" He chuckled, leaning forward and resting his elbows on the desk.

Shrugging my shoulders and shaking my head, I said, "He's a jealous guy, he...thinks I trust people too easily. I mean, I do, but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to everything. I trust people because what kind of life is it if you can't trust anyone?"

He nodded, "True."

"I'm sorry." I closed my eyes.

"What are you apologizing for?" He smiled.

"I don't know, Hudson, me."

"Don't apologize. I think I understand where he's coming from, though I've never been one to be jealous, but I think he's saying these things because he cares about you."

I smiled. "The libertine is giving me relationship advice."

He gave a laugh. "I don't exactly like the name Don Juan, but I think I prefer that over libertine."

My phone began vibrating, making a loud and obnoxious noise on the desk. I checked it and saw that it was a text from Hudson.

From Hudson:

I'm downstairs in the lobby. Can we talk?


I quickly wrote back.

From Avery:

Be right down.


"Is that him?" Christian asked.

I nodded, slightly smiling. "Yeah."

"Oh no, is he coming up? Should I hide under the desk?" He grinned, pushing out his chair ready to go under his desk.

I laughed and shook my head, "No, I'm meeting him downstairs." I got up and set my phone on the desk, before I walked out Christian wished me good luck.

Taking the elevator down the ten floors and walking out into the busy lobby, I immediately saw Hudson in the crowd. I quickly walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck as his arms wrapped around my waist.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, burying my face into his shoulder.

"No, I am. I shouldn't have acted that way, I never wanna be like Eric. And Christian, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like that." He breathed, kissing my forehead softly.

"Hudson, you're nothing like Eric. I love you and I'm sorry I brought him up. I don't want us to fight."

"I love you Avery. I don't want to hurt you." He lifted my chin up so he could kiss me. I knotted my fingers in his hair and kissed him back.

"I don't ever want to hurt you." I softly spoke, gazing up into his green eyes.

He looked down at me with a gentle smile.

"Do you have time for lunch?" I asked.

He sighed and slowly shook his head. "No, I gotta get back to the restaurant. Jules can't handle everything on his own."

I nodded. "Okay. Well then I'll see you tonight, when you come home."

"Yeah, at eleven." He sighed. He usually worked late into the day.

Again I nodded. "I love you."

He pulled me close again and kissed my hair. "I love you too."

Sauntering back into our office with a soft smile on my face and Hudson on my mind, Christian leaned back into his chair with his hands behind his head. He smirked, "I take it everything's good between you two?"

I grinned and nodded, sitting down and trying to remember what I was originally doing. All was well in the life I shared with Hudson; I needed to keep it this way, I needed to keep our relationship stable since the only other one I've known was a volatile and insecure one. The thought of losing him constricted my heart just a bit; I shudder the thought away. I love him and he loves me. That's all that matters.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment
and
Subscribe