‹ Prequel: Fairytales & Lullabies

Science & Faith

Tried to break love to a science,

I was rearranging the food on the kitchen table when the doorbell rang for the first time that night. I took the towel from over shoulder and placed it on the counter. I opened the door and I was immediately pulled into a hug. "I'm so glad you're here!" Greta squealed in my ear.

"I'm excited to be making this official!" I pulled out of her grasp and grabbed the small boy from Kris. "Hi Bray Bray! Auntie Anne is here to stay!" The little boy gurgled and I smiled. He tried to reach for my shoulder length blonde hair, but I pulled him back. I looked back at Kris and pulled him into hug with my free arm. "Thanks for coming Kris."

"No problem. Hope you don't mind, I invited a few guys from the team. You should already know the ones that show up."

"Of course not. Right now it’s just some coworkers and neighbors coming by, so the boys might spice it up a bit." We smiled at each other. "Do you guys want anything to drink?"

Braydon started to squirm in my arms. "Let me take him." Greta reached for him. The two rings on her finger sparkled as she adjusted the one year old in her arms. The wedding last summer was small, with only about 50 people, but it was all they needed. "I've got some food for him the bag." Kris handed her the bag they brought in and sat down on the couch.

“Are you finding your way around okay?” Kris asked as we walked behind Greta. I just shrugged.

“I guess. The only places I really go are to work and your place – Not that it’s a bad thing, but I haven’t gotten a chance to really explore since I’ve gotten here.”

He nodded his head in understanding. “Have you talked to Sid yet? I’m sure he’d be glad to show you around.”

“Not yet. I invited him over today, but we’ll see if he comes.” The door bell rang interrupting our conversation. “I’ll try to find you and Greta later.” Kris smiled and walked over to his wife and son.

More and more people started to arrive. The house was overflowing with my acquaintances. They were all here to welcome me to my new life in Pittsburgh.

I complete my master’s degree the same year Greta stayed with me when she was pregnant. It was a challenge to manage my time studying and helping my best friend, but I was able to do it.

I got a job as a psychiatrist in Minneapolis and loved every minute of it. I loved helping people and dealing with the science aspect of psychology. For my first year with a full time job, I had managed my life fairly well.

When the opportunity came for a nice raise in a city where my best friend and godson were, I immediately took it. I had been to Pittsburgh on several occasions and loved every second of it.

It also didn't hurt that Sid was here. Of course, now that he came into my life, Sid might not understand. I hadn't seen him in over a year except for the occasionally TV interview.

The doorbell ringing cut me out of my thoughts. I walked over and opened it to see the one guy I couldn't wait to see again. "Sid!"

He pulled me into his arms, "It’s so good to see you! How are you?" I lead him into the house and shut the door.

"Great! I started my job last week and I'm almost totally settled in." I smiled at him. We stopped in the hallway to talk.

"That’s fantastic. Listen, our first game is coming up...” Sid trailed off when a hand snaked around my waist. His gaze shifted from me to the person next to me.

"Oh Sid, I haven't introduced you yet. Sid," I gestured to the person next to me. Sid's face paled. I thought he was going to be sick as I told him, "This is Charlie. My boyfriend."
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry it took so long to get out! My computer got a virus and it took forever for me to finally edit this story! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. All the chapters are written, so there will (hopefully) be no more delays! I will note that this story is a lot shorter word wise, compared to Fairytales & Lullabies. Let me know what you thought!