Status: In progress.

The Tales of Hermione Jean Granger: Year One

"You're a Witch, Hermione."

Mr and Mrs Granger lived a peaceful life at Churchhill Lane, a small quiet road that over looked the local Cathedral. They had lived there for nearly five years now, after having moved in when Mrs Granger had given birth to their first, and only child.

Mrs Granger had been thirty one at the time, Mr Granger being thirty three. They had been overjoyed when they had discovered they would be expected a little baby girl.

Mr Granger worked at the local dentist about two streets from their small home, and Mrs Granger worked alongside him. However, once she had begun showing, Mrs Granger went on maternity leave, and settled down at home.

It had been just two weeks before their daughter's due date, and then she had gone into labour. Mr Granger had rushed home from work immediately, and five hours later he held Hermione in his arms.

The young couple had married a few years before, after having met each other at a party as teenagers. At first, Mrs Granger had not taken a liking to her soon to be husband, but after sneaking away from the atrociously boring party together, she had fallen for him.

Their house consisted of two bedrooms, and once Hermione was born, they turned the spare into a room for her. Decorated bright yellow with a crib in the corner, the room was perfect for their little baby.

Once Hermione had grown however, Mr Granger decided that the room needed a new touch to it, as their daughter was getting far too old to have Cinderella painting on her bedroom walls.

At the age of seven, Mr and Mrs Granger decided to take their daughter on her first Holiday. However, because she was so young they decided to keep it inside the country, and not too far from home.

The Forest of Dean was only around an hour from their home, so if they needed to come home earlier for any reason, it wouldn't take them too long if they drove in Mr Granger's car. He owned a small mini cooper, which was just big enough for the three of them.

So, the family began preparing for their trip, and soon enough, they were setting up their tent. They had chosen a spot where you could overlook the river, but not too close, as Hermione hadn't learnt to swim yet.

Young Hermione loved the scenery, constantly pointing out oddly shaped trees to her parents, who would be just as intrigued as she was. When it came to their daughter, they could have a full conversation with her, unlike many other seven years olds they knew.

Hermione had been the first in her class at nursery to learn how to write her name, as it only took her two weeks to master. Her teacher had told Mr and Mrs Granger that she was an extraordinary student, as most three year olds would take months to learn how to even write one letter.

Their daughter had continued to impress them with her academic skills as she grew, impressing each and every teacher she had. In Year Two she had learnt how to multiple before anyone else, being able to master sums with three digits. She knew her one times table to her twelve times table by the time she hit Year Three.

One night, whilst Mr and Mrs Granger were sleeping in the tent, Hermione had done something far more extraordinary than she or anyone else had ever done before. She had taught herself how to swim.

Mr Granger had awoken when he heard screaming from outside the tent, and, realising Hermione was gone, he jumped out of the tent and ran to her aid.

There he saw his seven year old daughter in the lake, her face barely visible as she kicked her legs about in panic. Mr Granger called after her and threw his top off, jumping into the freezing cold lake.

However, once he had swam half way over to his seemingly drowning daughter, something extraordinary happened. She began swimming. Not just normally swimming either, swimming so fast over to him that he barely had time to blink. She knocked into him and he grabbed hold of her, stunned.

That had been the first unusual occurrence their daughter had had.

A year later, on Hermione's eighth birthday, something else had occurred. Mr and Mrs Granger had been singing happy birthday to her, and Hermione bent down to blow out her candles. The candles blew out, and they had all cheered, telling Hermione to 'make a wish.'

Hermione had giggled, bending down to her candles again, and the next thing they knew, the candles burst into flames. Mr Granger grabbed his daughter away from the blaze, and Mrs Granger attempted to put the fire out with a teatowel.

The whole cake was on fire, and yet, the table remained untouched. Hermione's bushy hair had been right next to the flames, and although Mr Granger could feel how heated her hair was, not a single piece of smoke could be seen.

Hermione beamed up at his horrified face and asked; "Shall I stop it?" Before Mr Granger could even register what she had said, she put out a hand and the flames extinguished.The eight year old giggled.

Mr and Mrs Granger had been unable to understand how their daughter had done what she had, and for many years they worried about her. These two incidents hadn't been the last, as one year Hermione had gone to the dentist to have her retainer fitted, as her two front teeth were slightly large, and when Hermione had gotten home, her retainer completely broke in her mouth.

Hermione hadn't touched her mouth, she had merely been complaing to her mother about how hideous she looked in them, and then they had flung from her mouth, almost flying across the room. When Mrs Granger had picked them up to inspect the damage, they were completely destroyed.

"I didn't do anything, Mummy." Hermione had insisted, and Mrs Granger had been forced to allow her to go without wearing them.

Mr Granger had suggested that perhaps the dentist had fitted them incorrectly, and that he ought to fit her next pair. Mrs Granger agreed, and they put the matter from their minds.

When Hermione reached the age of ten however, their daughter recieved a letter from an unknown sender. Mr Granger had insisted he read the letter first, but Mrs Granger had told him that it was probably harmless junk mail, and because Hermione seemed so excited at receiving mail, they let her open it herself.

Their daughter's face had mangled into confusion as she scanned the letter, a second time, a third time, and finally a forth. Mrs Granger grew concerned and asked her daughter what was wrong, but she just shook her head and handed her mother the letter.

That had been the day the Grangers' lives had changed forever.

The letter read;

Dear Miss Hermione Jean Granger,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Below you will find an enclosed list of equipment you must bring at the start of the school year, which will be at the beginning of September.

You may purchase these items at Diagon Alley, the address and directions have also been enclosed below. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

We look forward to seeing you,

Minerva McGonigal.


Mrs Granger had laughed and shown the letter to her husband, who seemed to take the letter more seriously. He had told them both that if any more letters were sent to the house, he would report the matter to the Post Office.

"It's probably just a harmless joke." Mrs Granger had told him.

"Or perhaps it's some kind of club?" Hermione had piped up, looking eagerly at her worried father. "Can I go, Dad, please?"

Mr Granger had shook his head in annoyance. "Hermione, sweetheart, it's probably just junk mail, or someone messing about."

Their daughter pouted. "If it were junk mail my name wouldn't be printed at the top. And look!" She picked up the envelope and showed it to her father. "See here, it says 'Dear Hermione Jean Granger, 6 Churchill Lane, the bedroom opposite the bathroom."

Mr Granger's eyes bulged as he snatched the envelope from her, reading the address. His face looked horrified. "It must be someone we know, that's all."

Her father had put the letter away safely, not realising Hermione had hidden the second page behind her back. As soon as her parents had left the room, she read the next page eagerly.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Uniform:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear.
3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

Course books:

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

1. The Standard Book of Spells (Grade One) by Miranda Goshawk
2. A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
3. Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
4. A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
5. One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
6. Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
7. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scammander
8. The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other equipment:

1 wand
1 cauldron (pewter, standard size two)
1 set glass or crystal phials
1 telescope
1 set brass scales

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl, cat or a toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO BRING A BROOMSTICK.

Yours sincerely,
Lucida Thomsonicle-Pocus
Chief Attendant of Witchcraft Provisions.


Hermione gasped as she re-read the letter. She had seen the word 'broomsticks', which made her stomach plummet. Little Hermione had never liked heights, which was the first thing that had come to mind.

Then, Hermione has realised that Broomsticks could not be used for flying, that was only in fairy tales or children's books. Hermione had an active imagination, but she had never truly believed in these things.

At that moment, a knock had sounded at the door, and Hermione heard her father open the it. Hermione focused her attention back on the piece of paper in her hands, and she noticed that their was a stamp at the top, which included four animals. A badger, a lion, a snake and an eagle.

Hermione wondered what the creatures represented, when a funny dressed man entered the room, followed by her parents. He wore a robe that looked like a woman's dress to her, and was decorated with glittery stars and moons.

Hermione held back a giggle as the bearded man made his way towards her, extending his hand. Hermione hesitantly shook it, looking over at her bewildered parents.

"Pleasure to meet you young lady," he smiled, taking a seat next to her mother, who kept looking back and forth from her husband to the strange man next to her.

'"I'm Hermione, Hermione-"

"-Granger. Yes, I know." Smiled the man, who wore a black pointed hat on his head. Hermione wondered why he was dressed so funnily, was he off to a party?

"Who are you?" She questioned, and he continued to beam at her.

"My name is Thomas Henrik, and I've been sent her by Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy."

Hermione looked at her parents for an explanation, but when they showed no sign of giving one, Hermione focused back on the man in front of her. He now held a long mahogany stick in his right hand, which he pointed towards her.

"This, is a wand, young lady."

Hermione eye's bulged and she stood up to get a closer look. Mr Granger stood up and stepped in front of her, facing the man. Hermione peered around him, to see what was happening.

"I want you to leave my house." Mr Granger said calmly, but the man just chuckled.

"Please, if you would allow me to explain, Sir, everything will make sense."

"I don't want you telling my daughter nonsense, do you ear? I don't know who you are or why you sent her that letter-"

"-Oh, but I didn't send that letter. If you would sit down and allow me to explain-"

"-I don't see why we should." Argued Mr Granger, and Hermione grew frustrated. This was her letter, not their's. She wanted to know what it all meant.

Hermione stepped in front of her father and looked up at him; "Please, Dad, I want to hear what he has to say."

Mrs and Mr Granger shot each other looks, and eventually he gave in and sat down next to his daughter. Hermione grinned triumphantly and waited for the man to explain himself.

"You see, I've been sent here by the Headmaster of a Magical School that teaches young Witches and Wizards of your age to the age of seventeen." Mr Granger looked ready to hit the man, so he quickly continued. "Your letter was sent by Professor McGonigal, a transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts. She's practically next in line to become Head Mistress, but that's not the point."

"Wait," Hermione demanded suddenly; "Professor? Why do you call her that? How is it she knows who I am?"

The man chuckled, combing his fingers through his long hair. "We call teachers Professor in the Wizarding World. I can't explain why we call them that, I suppose we just prefer it." Hermione nodded. "As for your second question, that's a little harder to explain. You see, the Wizarding world has a Ministry, just like you Muggles. It's the Ministry of Magic, and-"

"Muggles?" Hermione interrupted; "What's a Muggle?"

The man sighed. "A Muggle is what we call non-magical folk, such as your parents over here."

"That's an odd thing to call them." The girl commented, and she could tell she was annoying the man with her questions.

"Yes. Well, the Ministry of Magic is able to track every piece of magic that is performed. So, if a Witch accidently uses a spell, the Ministry will know exactly where and when she did it."

"Why do they need to know that? What's that got to do with me?"

"Well, you see, you aren't allowed to perform Magic in front of Muggles or outside of school. We do this to protect the race, to stop Muggles from knowing that we excist."

"You still haven't explained why that meant Professor What's-her-name could find me. I haven't performed magic, I don't know how." Hermione's nose wrinkled in confusion. She hated not knowing anything, she hated asking questions, as she was always the one to answer them.

She couldn't be sure if she believed this man's story, and by the looks of it, her parents felt the same. "Have you ever done something unusual or out of the ordinary? Have you ever done something amazing when you were angry, or scared?"

Hermione rememebered the time she had magically learnt how to swim, she had been scared then. She also remembered when she had set the cake on fire, that had been extremely peculiar.

"Ah, see. You have performed magic, Hermione. You're a Witch."

It took her a while to respond. It all added up, but she couldn't bring herself to believe it. She had always been a girl of reason, she didn't believe in such things.

Her parents looked as if they had frozen as their eyes scanned the room, as if looking for a better answer. Their hands were together as they stared at Hermione in shock.

She had trouble finding her voice. "I- I can't- It's not possible. I mean, magic isn't real, it's fiction, made up."

The man smiled sympathetically; "I know it's hard to believe, but I can prove it, if you'll let me."

Hermione looked to her parents, who didn't seem to register that she was waiting for their approval. She looked back up at the man, who had know stood up, with his wand in hand.

"What are you going to do?"

"That depends what you'd like me to do. Name something impossible for me to do, and I will."

Hermione looked at the vase of flowers on the living room table. She couldn't think of anything more creative, so she said; "Smash that vase with your wand."

The man nodded, seeming taken aback by how easy her request was. He raised his wand and said a few words that Hermione didn't recognise, and the vase smashed into pieces before her eyes. Sparks flew from the end of his wand, and Mrs Granger screamed.

"Anything else?"

Hermione grew excited at the chance to watch him perform more magic, but this time she decided not to destroy any of her parents' possessions. "Could you set the television on fire, but not damage it at all?"

The man smirked, seeming up to the challenge. Hermione backed away, and she felt her mother's arms wrap around her shoulders.

The man raised his wand once more, this time aiming at the television. With a single word, the television burst into flames, lighting up the entire room. Mrs Granger screamed into Hermione's ears, and both her parents jumped up in alarm.

The man just stood there, and he turned and winked. Hermione felt her father pushing Hermione and her Mum from the room, but before they could reach the door, the flames extinguished.

Hermione blinked, trying to gain her vision back. The light had been extremely bright.

Mr Granger let go of his wife and child and inspected the television, which didn't have so much as a scratch. He touched it slowly, and he announced that the television was normal temperature.

Mrs Granger gasped and went to feel it herself, and Hermione just stared, gaping at the television. Nothing around the television had been burnt or harmed at all, it truly was magic.

"Now, if you'll allow me to explain, I'll tell you all about Hogwarts."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go! I hope you Potterheads enjoy it! Please comment and subscribe! :D