Status: fin.

Blame It On the Rain

one

Her hand shook as she held the phone up to her ear. The chair she sat on allowed her to curl up and sit relaxed. Contrary to how she looked, Annabelle was a second away from breaking down as she heard his raspy, deep voice over the phone. She took a deep breath, biting her lip so it wouldn’t tremble, and listened to the voice she so desperately missed.

“I miss you so much every day. I feels like I’m missing a part of me. I can’t focus, and I worry about you. I know if anything went wrong at home, you wouldn’t tell me. God I just wish…I just wish I could be in our flat, holding you in my arms and watching re runs of Misfits all day. Please just know if I could change this, I’d be there with you,” he sighed and she could imagine him running his hands over his face in exasperation. “Crap, I have to go to soundcheck. I love you so much; I’ll be home in a few weeks, alright?”

Annabelle’s throat was closing, but she forced herself to sound strong. “Okay, I love you, Max.”

The line went dead. Max was never the type to express his feelings, so if he did it was important and he was being honest. She felt exactly what he was feeling right now. Max was the first serious relationship, and it scared her. Her feelings for him were so strong; it was like having a fire raging inside of you at all times of the day. She could see herself ten years from now, married to him with a family. It just felt so right.

Annabelle remembers the day the met vividly.

It was a chilly, overcast Sunday evening. She was in England for the summer, visiting her birth parents and family. She was adopted but once she turned sixteen, the connected and stated visiting each other. So every summer they would warmly welcome her to their home.

Their daughter, her sister, Sarah was only fourteen years old. Sarah loved music and was ecstatic to hear that one of her favorite bands were playing at a local venue. After Sarah’s endless begging, their parents allowed her to go under one condition; since Annabelle was eighteen she needed to chaperone. Annabelle really had no reason to say no, so at seven thirty she and Sarah headed out into the cold Surrey streets.

The venue wasn’t that big, and there were just enough kids to fill it all up. Sarah pushed her way through the crowd to get her and Annabelle up front by the stage. Everyone pressed up against them, but Annabelle didn’t mind; she’s been to a few shows before and knew that was the price for a good view.

The lineup was great, Annabelle didn’t know the bands but she liked them once they started playing. On band in particular had caught her eye, she wasn’t sure, but she thought they were called You Me At Six. They had such energy; they drew you in once they were on stage.

Being her age, Annabelle noticed all the band members were attractive in their own way; and they looked around her age. The singer had such a strong voice, and his eyes were beautiful. The lead guitarist played so flawlessly, he made it seem as easy as tying his shoes. The bass player played riffs that were impressive, and was entertaining to watch. She didn’t get a good look at the drummer, but his timing was spot on. Though the one to really catch her eye was the other guitarist. He literally put his all into playing and he bounced around the stage. He fell once, but kept playing as he laid on the dirty stage. His passion for the music impressed her.

After the last band had finished, Sarah was dragging Annabelle to the meet-and-greet around the back of the venue. Since the bands were fairly unknown, they were all there and welcomed the interaction with fans. Also, to Annabelle’s relief, not many people were there.

“This was the best night of my life!” Sarah exclaimed as she stood next to Annabelle. They were leaning against a brick wall waiting for Sarah’s favorite bands to come out. Annabelle hugged herself tightly; the light sweater she sported wasn’t very warm against the icy air.

“The bands were all great, but You Me At Six was my favorite.”

Sarah smiled and nodded her head. “They’re mine too. I found out about them on MySpace and have been hooked ever since.”

Annabelle grinned in response. She looked around for a minute, and then turned to her sister. “I’m gonna go look for something to drink, want anything?” Sarah shook her head and Annabelle walked off towards the entrance of the building.

Once inside, warmness allowing her to relax, she spotted some vending machines. Hot chocolate sounded good to her, so she grabbed a Styrofoam cup and placed it under the nozzle. She put a dollar in and pressed the number, and waited for the creamy liquid to fill the cup. Humming a random tune, she grabbed her drink and slowly walked back to the doors, not wanting to leave the warmth.

She ran straight into someone once she stepped outside, dropping her cup. She lost her balance and started falling face first to the ground, but a firm hand clasped her arm and steadily pulled her up. She was still a little wobbly, so the stranger placed his hands on her to steady her.

Glancing up, she nearly jumped in surprise as she saw who had caught her. The guitarist she was transfixed by was looking down at her, his dark brown eyes meeting her mismatched ones. She giggled in an awkward embarrassment and averted her gaze to her spilt drink. The man just released her and chucked as well.

“Sorry for bumping into you,” he said after a while as he was finally able to stop staring.”Your eyes are beautiful by the way, sorry if I stared.”

Her cheeks flushed and she nervously twisted her fingers at her side. “Thank you, most people just keep looking till I say something. . .” She smiled up at him and noticed how his hair swept across his forehead, narrowly missing his chestnut irises.

“I’m Max," he said with a broad grin and outstretched his hand. Annabelle took it and couldn’t miss the jolt of energy she felt.
“I’m Annabelle.”

“Wow, a pretty name for a pretty girl.” Annabelle was surprised and humored by his line, so she laughed lightly. “I didn’t realize how cheesy that was, sorry,” he said after laughing along.

“It’s fine.” She bent down to pick up her cup, “You band is incredible; you’re an amazing guitarist.”

“Thanks, it means a lot.”He watched her motions, and he slapped his hand to his mouth “Shit, your drink. I didn’t even notice it…I’ll buy you a new one, I promise!”

Annabelle had no time to argue as he made his way to the same vending machine. By the time she reached him he already had the cup and handed it to her, warning her it was hot. It was unnecessary, but his concern elated her.

They continued walking and sat on a bench right outside the venue, talking like they knew each other for years.


Annabelle grinned slightly at the memory. Ever since that night her and Max became inseparable, talking through the day and texting all hours of the night. They simply connected. He was her best friend. She missed his lame jokes, and what it felt like to lay in bed engulfed in his strong arms, feeling like that was the safest place in the world.
Only a month left till her dreams became reality, and he would return to her.
She tied her dark waves in a bun and picked up the left over books. She worked in a small book store and loved it. It was an easy job, and books were her life. Her boss Jerry let her read if it was a slow day, so she had finished plenty of books during her time at the store. Jerry was also cleaning up, but when he saw Annabelle he stood up stiffly and walked towards her.

“Annabelle, you know I don’t like it when you help me after hours. I appreciate it, but you’re too busy with University to help me. Go home love, you did enough today.” His kind eyes watched her throw away a tissue before she came up to him.
“Oh alright. I only have to write five essays and study for a test tomorrow, so I’ll be fine,” she joked with him.

After getting her stuff and wishing Jerry a good night, she made her way down the quiet street. The rain that had occurred earlier made the road slick, so she decided not to drive today. Her and Max’s flat was only a few blocks away.

Music filled her ears as she sang softly along to Coldplay’s “Speed of Sound”. Normally she wouldn’t do this. It’s dangerous at night, and listening to music makes you vulnerable. She knew this, but since the streets were vacant, she figured this once would be fine.

Shivering, she stepped off the curb to cross the street. She only made it halfway before the screech of brakes and bright headlights illuminated her figure, making her freeze in panic.

Image

Josh Franceschi watched his mate with concern. Max looked miserable. His eyes were sunken and the usual spark he had was missing. His hollow cheeks showed he had lost a lot of weight recently, and he was always so quiet. He wouldn’t joke around anymore, only talking when he needed to.

“You ready?”

Max finished writing and put the piece of paper into his blazer pocket. He only nodded slightly to Josh as he walked out of his flat, passing her room without a second glance. Josh followed suite and led Max to his car. The weather that day was mirroring Max’s own emotions. The air was icy and ominous clouds covered the sky. The wind was moaning a sad song as passed you and made leaves tumble to the ground. They got in their respective seats and pulled out of the parking lot.

The car sped down the highway, its engine a low hum; the only thing audible to Max as Josh was silent. Max glanced out the window, catching glimpses of people walking to the park and with their families. He lost focus as his mind too him back to the night that turned his world around.



“Dan, I can’t thank you enough for cooking the meal. I seriously owe you.”

“Nah mate, it’s on me this time. I’m just glad you had enough sense to call me instead of you trying and burning the place down,” Dan said as he laughed at the reality of that statement; Max was a horrible cook. Max chuckled to himself as he finished setting the table He lit the candles after getting out the polished silverware and tablecloth.

Dan explained to him that all he needed to do was take the already full plates out of the oven, warm up some bread, and get the salad out of the refrigerator when he’s ready. Dan left shortly after, leaving Max to his nervous self.

This was it. He was really going to ask her. He had the ring for a while but never thought of a time to pop the question. Josh told him he should surprise Annabelle since they left tour early, and he figured that would be the ideal time and place. Nothing too fancy and they were in the comfort of their own home.

Max was startled when the doorbell rang. It couldn’t be Annabelle since she had her own key, and his mates were out celebrating the end of the tour. He got up and answered it, surprised to see an upset looking Dan. Dan’s hose was red and his eyes were bloodshot, all tell-tale signs that Dan had been crying. Mac didn’t hesitate to bring him in.

Dan walked straight to the living room and looked at the pictures hanging on the walls; all were of Max and Annabelle. Max sat on the couch as he waited patiently for Dan to open up.

“I don’t know how to say this,” Dan began. He walked back and forth in front of max, hands rubbing his face. Finally, he stood directly in front of Max, unaware that the words he would say will impact Max’s life in such ways.

“Annabelle got hit by a car…She’s dead.”

The memory drifted away as Josh parked the car in front of an ancient looking church. The stone steps were cracked, and haunting trees surrounded the building. Max closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. He could do this. It was all for her. He was here for her.

Max climbed out of the car and waited for Josh to do the same. They headed to the entryway and merged into the crowd of black and grey. They slowly made it inside and everyone went to their designated seats. The first row would be for family members only; the next was for close friends. The rest would be for anyone else, which was a lot of people.

Max observed her adoptive parents greet her biological ones. They were very sullen and stiff with their movements. Marianne, her adoptive mother, broke down and fell into her husband’s arms. He cooed to her and gently stroked her arms. She began sobbing and he sat them down in front of Max. Once she was calm, they intertwined their hands, preparing for what was to come.

Daniel and Eve, her biological parents, turned to look at Max. He nodded at them and they both gave him a sad smile.

“Thank you for coming Max,” Eve said.

“I’m sure she would appreciate it,” Daniel followed.

“That’s really the only reason I came. I just can’t get over the fact she’s gone. This setting is almost too much for me,” Max said bitterly. Eve nodded in understanding.

The reverend walked out and they said their goodbyes as Eve and Daniel sat back down. The reverend said a few prayers and blessings before the first person to speak came up. There was a lot of generic thing said, like “she will be missed” or “she was a great person”. It was a while before everyone had their turn, leaving Max as the last one. He got up without a word and strode over to the podium. He silently studied the people in the room. Some were crying and others showed no emotion as they sat.

Max cleared his throat.

“It’s been said countless times today, but we’re here to celebrate and honor the life of Annabelle Myers. A woman whose heart was bigger than her head, and who would do anything to help and protect the ones she loved.

“She always thought of ways to help others. She gave my mate Josh a notebook for his lyrics. She learned how to give great massages if my band mates or I ever needed it. If my fingers wee cramped and sore, she would rub them and make all the kinks and sores disappear. I don’t know what it was, but if I ever got a massage from someone else, it wouldn’t work; I think it was because Annabelle gave it her all and put love into her movements.

“I remember this one time when we were at the shopping centre, just walking around. A little boy ran up to us crying and saying incoherent words as he held on to Annabelle. Once he calmed down, he let go of her and explained that his mum was gone and he didn’t know what to do. Hearing this, all common sense vanished and she did whatever the boy asked. He said he needed money for the way home, and asked for 30 pounds. She didn’t even hesitate in giving him the money. I watched him go and run up to an older woman, crying and saying the same things. I realized he had ripped us off, and when I tried to tell Anna she shut me down and wouldn’t listen.

“I’ve known Annabelle for three years, two of them we were in a relationship. I’d like to believe I know her better than anyone. Hell, I know her better than I know myself, and she the same with me. All my life I felt like I was missing something, like I was hollow. When I met her, she completed me and I felt whole. I couldn’t imagine not having her in my life, but now my worst nightmare is reality.

“Everything has changed. My once vibrant and exciting life now seems dull and boring, every day I wake expecting her sleeping figure next to me, only to be disappointed and reminded that she is gone.” He stopped suddenly as his throat was closing up. Hanging his head he shut his eyes tight, gripping the stand willing the emotions to leave.

“You can do this Max,” Matt called out and a wave of low applause willed him on. Finally he composed himself and continued his speech.

“The night of the accident I was planning to surprise her; I’d been on tour for months and something happened letting us go home early. I had a nice dinner made, the tale set with candles and flowers, and her favorite chocolates were by the fireplace. Everything was perfect. I was going to propose to her.

Bu then I got the news.

The news that took my soul mate from me, the news that haunts me daily and reminds me of how alone and vacant I am without her. I’m lost. I don’t know what to do anymore…I can’t play guitar. I can barely keep food down, and I can’t sleep at night. If I do I have nightmares.

“Alright, to wrap things up, I just want to say that though Annabelle passed away, she hasn’t left us. Her spirit is still here. Her words of wisdom and actions of love still remain. The mark she made on us will never go away. She will still be in our hearts.” He looked up to the ceiling, tears falling from his eyes.
“Annabelle, if you’re watching us, I want you to know you affected every single one of our lives. You were the light in our lives, and kept out personal darkness at bay. You were the greatest thing to happen to me, and I know you want us to move on. I’m working on it. But there won’t be a day that I don’t think about you. You were the love of my life. I hope you can rest at ease knowing we all love you and miss you.”

He walked down the pathway and sat back down in his seat. People clapped, he heard a few cry out in tears, and Josh and Chris patted his shoulders. He nodded in appreciation and turned back to the front of the room. The reverend said a few things before finishing up, and the pallbearers got up from their seats. Both of her fathers, her brothers, and Max walked to her closed casket. They picked it up and walked slowly out of the church. People soon followed and watched as they put her casket into the hearse. Max lingered slightly before slamming the door shut and taped the glass, signaling the driver to go now.

People walked to their cars and one by one drove to the cemetery for her burial. Max walked slowly to Josh’s car, dreading the idea of having Annabelle buried. The rain clouds still held their grasp on the sky, but a small opening parted, allowing a few rays of light out. The breeze blew slowly, and as Max inhaled he got a smell of rose pedals and honey.

He stopped. Impossible. This was a church, and no rose bushes were in sight. Shaking his head he walked again, only to have a breeze waft the same scent into his nostrils. It was her. He smelt her. His heart stopped and his stomach did flip-flops. The clouds parted way more and he gazed up.

The light illuminated the dark clouds, making an image so beautiful, he wished someone would capture. Roses and honey blew past him again, and everything clicked. As impossible as it may be, he knew in his heart that she was there with him. When the wind blew again, it caressed his figure and for a second he felt whole again, like she had never left.
A car honked, snapping Max out of his trance, Josh was angrily motioning for Max to get into the car. Max began walking slowly, his eyes never leaving the sky.
Her light was shining through his darkness once again.