Status: hiatus

My Somebody

Headache

"Oh my God!" Athena covers her mouth, staring at the plasma screen television hanging on the wall.

Cheryl looks up from her magazine, "What happened?"

"Oh my God," she stares at the television, not moving from her spot. "He's not getting up quick enough, something's wrong."

The store owner moves to watch the Pittsburgh Penguins' captain pull himself off of the ice and skate back to the bench. "He looks fine to me."

"That's the second time in a week he's taken a hit to the head," Athena whispers, the sound of her heart beating overwhelming her ears.

Cheryl raises her eyebrows, "You're really into this sports stuff, aren't you?"

Covering her flushed cheeks, Athena nods, but doesn't take her stare off of the television. Swallowing the lump in her suddenly dry throat, Athena lets out a shaky breath as she slowly lowers herself onto one of the round seats, with a display of sky high heels in the middle.

"Take a deep breath, Athena. I'm sure Crosby is fine."

Athena slowly shakes her head, the words pouring out of her mouth before she can stop them, "he's not, I can tell. You didn't see his face, Cher."

"You're talkin' like you know the guy," Cheryl chuckles, walking back to sit behind the counter.

Biting her tongue, Athena glances back up at the muted television. She closes her eyes and shakes her head, before rising and picking up the cardboard box and carrying it through the set of double doors in the back of the store.

-


Resting her hands on her concaving stomach, Athena glances through the darkness at the empty side of the bed. Her chest tightens when the ringing of her cell phone pierces the air. Sliding her finger across the screen, she smiles lightly, "I almost thought you forgot about me."

Sidney chuckles lightly, "never."

"I watched the game."

Sucking air in through his teeth, Sidney groans, "You did?"

"Are you okay?"

"My head... hurts."

Athena nods, pulling herself into a sitting position. "I can't say that I'm surprised."

"I miss you."

Pouting, Athena smiles lightly. "I miss you, too."

“I talked with Bylsma. If this headache isn’t gone by the morning, I’m coming home.”

She sighs, blinking rapidly. “Do they think something’s wrong?”

“Apparently, the trainers don’t think it’s normal to have a headache after being hit twice in a week.”

Nodding in agreement, Athena swallows the lump in her throat. “Do you think that something’s wrong?”

“I-I dunno.” His voice is very quiet. “I really don’t know.”

Feeling her heartbeat begin to pick up, Athena rubs her left leg with her right foot under the heavy covers.

Sidney clears his throat, “I don’t wanna think that anything is wrong, ya know?”

She nods, “Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Like maybe if you think that everything is okay, hard enough, it’ll be okay.”

“Yeah,” Sidney scoffs lightly. “It only seems to hurt my head more, though.”

Athena smiles, “Thinking is gonna do that to ya.”

“Thanks,” Sidney laughs lightly.

After a moment of comfortable silence, Athena rolls onto her side. “Your headache is never gonna go away if you don’t get some rest.”

“I don’t wanna sleep,” Sidney stifles a loud yawn.

Smiling, Athena nods. “Yeah, sure ya don’t.”

"I'll call you in the morning," Sidney says quietly.

She nods, "Please do."

"I love you. And I'll talk to you in the morning."

Smiling, Athena takes a deep breath. "I love you, too, Sid. Please get some rest."

"I'm gonna try... You need to sleep, too."

Feeling her breath catch in her chest, she nods, "I-I know."

Sidney yawns again, "I'm gonna call you."

Athena nods, letting her gaze fall to her lap, "Alright. Goodnight, Sid."

"Night, Athena."

The screen of her phone is still illuminated when Athena drops it onto her mattress and begins rapidly wiping at her cheeks and eyes.