Chocolate Eyes

24.

"Mr. Haner, there's nothing you can do, I'm sorry. The Kents have filed for visitation rights and they got their wish, so you have to let Evander go," Victoria Rochotte explained as she stood in Brian's living room on a Saturday afternoon.

The dark haired man stood with his arms crossed and defiance evident on his face. Brian had no idea that it was even possible for Claudia's parents to be granted anything temporary when it came to his son. He was aware of their custody lawsuit, but he didn't even consider that they'd be fighting to see him sooner. "He can't just pack up and leave whenever," he replied, shaking his head in disbelief, "He has school and we have plans. I can't just force him to go whenever."

"That's why I'm giving you a week's notice, Brian," Victoria replied softly, "Thanksgiving Break is next week. EJ will leave then and I'll personally bring him home to you, I promise."

Brian didn't know what to do or how to fight for his son in this moment. He wiped his hand across his face to dispel the angry tears and vehemently shook his head. "It's our first holiday," he practically begged, thinking about the young boy who was playing just upstairs, "They can't take him."

"He's coming back, Brian," she promised, seeing the pain in him at the thought of his son leaving him at all, "I will bring him back and you will have him for Christmas and many other holidays, but the Kents are fighting hard for him."

"He's my son!" Brian shouted, "I don't care that they're Claudia's parents, he's my son! Why don't they just understand that? They can't take him to Oklahoma whenever. They have to ask me and the answer is no."

"Perhaps that's why the didn't ask you," she replied, trying to reason with the angry and hurt guitarist standing in front of her, "They're going around you now, Brian. They came here to make plans with you and you haven't gotten back to them so they're finding other ways."

"Yeah, like taking my fucking son to Oklahoma," Brian sneered, angrily stepping away from the social worker. He instantly turned around when he heard his son on the stairs. "Evander," Brian called, appalled by the look of fear and sadness on his son's face, "E, come here."

Evander sat on the stairs, peering through the columns that held up the rail. Tears were forming in his eyes from hearing his dad's words. "I have to leave?" he asked, not moving an inch from the step, "I don't want to go."

Brian, fearing his child's tears, raced up the stairs and scooped up the little boy, already promising that it would be okay. "You're coming home, EJ," Brian spoke as he stepped back down to the living room, "It's just for a week. They just want to spend time with you."

EJ wrapped his arms around his dad's neck and shook his head. "I don't want to go," he stated, "I want to stay here with you."

Brian didn't know how to console his son. Victoria herself said there was nothing he could do about his son being temporarily taken from. What Brian felt now was something he never wanted to feel again, and this was just temporary.

Up until now he'd let the Kents fight the court with their lawyer, but now, Brian decided, that they would be fighting his. With more money than they'd ever seen, Brian could hire the best family lawyer and he would make sure that his son would never leave his side again.

"It's alright, Evander," he spoke to comfort the crying boy, "I'll be right here waiting for you when you get home."

"You can't come with me?"

Brian looked over his son's little shoulder to Victoria for confirmation. He sighed when she shook her head. "No, man, I'm sorry," Brian answered, rubbing his back, "But I'll talk to you everyday."

~~

Brian picked Evander up on the last of school before Thanksgiving with a melancholy heart. When EJ walked out of his classroom with his teacher at his side, he could see that the four year old felt the same. The blonde rushed over and threw his arms around his dad, who lifted him up and hugged him even tighter.

"We've got two hours," Bri said to him, "Lets go eat some dinner. The guys are waiting at home." Brian smiled politely at the young teacher before heading around the corner to his car.

"Dad, I don't want to go," Evander said when they were on their way home. He sounded more grown up than Brian had heard before.

"They're family, E," Bri rebutted, trying to stay upbeat about his son's trip, "They love you and want to see you."

"So," the little boy argued.

Brian didn't respond. Instead he focused on driving them home safely. He pulled into his driveway through the already open gate and clicked a button so that it shut behind him, once he counted the right number of cars parked in front of him.

"Lets go enjoy our dinner," Brian suggested as he pulled Evander from his seat. They'd planned an early Thanksgiving dinner since Ev would be heading out before and returning after.

When the duo walked through the door, Evander's mood immediately changed. Everyone had been over just days before to decorate the house with Thanksgiving turkeys, brown and orange paper leaves, and those linked paper chain streamers. Today, brown sugar candles were lit and the entire house smelled like food. Evander raced into the kitchen and grinned at his uncles as they stood around the counter nursing beers.

When they saw him, they all shouted and left their drinks on the table. Michelle, Gena, Lacey and Valary grinned as the men fought over him. Michelle closed the oven and they all went back to sipping drinks after calling out for the men to be careful with him.

"E, what do you say about taking a dip in the pool?" Zacky asked as he lifted the little boy up and stepped in the direction of the living room.

Evander screamed and reached out to grab Matt's shirt. "No!" he shouted, half-hanging out of Zack's arms. "There's no water! I'll die!"

"Oh yeah," Zacky laughed and handed him to Matt, "I forgot, sorry."

Brian chuckled as he followed his son into the crowded room. "Any news on when the family is going to arrive?" Brian asked his wife as he walked over and wrapped his arm around her waist.

Michelle chuckled at the scene in front of her and shook her head. "You know your parents, Bri. They'll be here soon."

Within ten minutes, Papa Gates was leading his daughter and wife through the front door with a festive grin on his face. Brian called out to them and they appeared in the kitchen. Evander wiggled out of Johnny's arms and raced across the tiled floor to throw his arms around his grandpa.

"Papa!" he cheered, jumping into the man's arms as he held them open, "I missed you."

Brian Sr. grinned and held his grandson up. "I missed you too, Evander," he said, "What do you think about all this food?"

EJ grinned. "I think I'm hungry."

The room chuckled as the twins promised it would be done within minutes. Brian walked over and hugged his family, starting with Suzy and his sister. "No Brent?" he asked, frowning as he realized his younger brother hadn't come with them.

Brent had driven down from Santa Barbara with his girlfriend the night before and had stayed in his own bedroom. Brian had been expecting them to drive over with the rest of the family since this was Brent's first time meeting his nephew.

"Brent and Dana are on their way," his dad explained with a smile, "They wanted to make a pit stop so they drove separate."

"Well they better get here soon," Brian muttered, "E leaves to catch his flight in a couple hours."

The group continued on like they hadn't heard that statement. Brian helped Michelle and Val finish up with dinner before they herded the large group out of the kitchen so they could finish setting up. When Brian heard his gate bell ring, he rushed to the control pad to open it for his brother, who'd obviously forgotten the code already.

"Evander, front and center, Uncle Brent is here!" Brian called down the stairs where E and half of the group had disappeared. Brian walked over and opened the front door, grinning at his younger brother as the similar looking man got out of his car.

"Bri!" Brent shouted, "Happy pre-Thanksgiving!"

Brian grinned and hopped down the couple of steps to pull his brother into a hug. "It's good to see you, man," Bri said when they pulled apart, "You really need to come around more often. Two hours is nothing."

"Not for a seasoned traveller like yourself," Brent joked. He quickly turned around and grinned at his girlfriend, motioning her over to meet Brian. "Dana," he introduced, "This is my older brother Brian, Bri this is Dana."

Brian warmly shook the young lady's hand. "It's nice to meet you. Happy Thanksgiving."

"This is beautiful," she replied, looking beyond the beach house to the ocean, "I can't believe you really live here. I would never leave."

Brian chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "Thanks. Come on in, there's someone Brent needs to finally meet."

Brent lit up at the idea and shoved past his brother into the house. In the living room, the guys he'd know practically all his life greeted him with hugs. "Good to see you guys are still hanging around," he joked to his brother's best friends, "Now where's my nephew?"

Brent had seen Evander before during a videochat, but the little boy was new to Brian's life and shy, so Brent didn't push him to talk to him. But now, Brent grinned at the site of his only nephew sitting on the couch and hurried over to properly introduce himself to the four year old.

"You must be EJ," he said as he dropped down onto the cushion beside him, "I'm Brent, you're dad's real brother." He shot a playful glare at the bandmates.

"I remember," EJ replied, smiling at the man, "You look just like my dad."

Brent and Brian had the same skin tone, hair, and eyes, although Brent had a rounder face. It was obvious that the two of them were brothers. Even their taste in style was similar. Brent had tattoos up and down his arms and a monroe piercing that looked surprisingly good on him. Looking at him, nobody would ever be able to tell that he was a successful insurance salesman.

Brent hoisted EJ into his arms as his sister in law shouted that it was time to eat. The entire family moved into the kitchen and sat around Brian's mid-size table, arm to arm but with no complaints. Not only were they celebrating the Pilgrims and the Indians, but they were celebrating each other and Evander.

Brian got the attention of the room. "I know this is super cheesy," he said, glaring at Johnny who had opened his mouth to make another comment, "But I just wanted to say that I'm thankful to have all of you and I'm thankful that you all took the time out to be here for our early dinner so that we could include my beautiful son in the holiday." Brian leaned down and kissed EJ's head. "So thank you guys. I love you."

He sat down and the table cheered loudly, each calling out their own toasts over everyone else. The clan was a strange one, but they were a family and one of the best. They ate dinner loudly and laughed more than anything. All the adults went around telling stories to EJ about how crazy the used to be when they were kids.

Each story involved Jimmy in one way or another. The drummer was never forgotten and they each took the time to remember him on the holiday. Even though he wasn't really there to celebrate with them, he was there.

After dinner everyone hung around to say goodbye to Evander. They congregated on the couch in the living room and watched some of the game while Brian helped EJ wash up and change his clothes in his bedroom.

Evander sat on the edge of his bed. "I'm scared to fly by myself," he said as his dad zipped up his suitcase.

Bri looked over his shoulder. He was scared of that too. If it was his choice, he would never allow his son to fly without him or someone close to him. "There will be someone with you the entire time," he spoke despite his own worries, "Her job is to fly with you, so she's probably really good at it and knows a lot of fun things to do to pass the time."

"Why can't you come?" he questioned, scrunching up his face in a frown.

"Michelle's parents are having dinner at their house on Thursday," Brian explained, not mentioning that he wasn't allowed to go to Oklahoma with him, "Uncle Matt is going and would have to fend for himself if I didn't."

EJ sighed and pushed himself off of his bed. "You'll call me, right?" he asked, wanting to make sure his dad didn't forget about him, "And you'll have them bring me home."

Brian grinned and stood up, since he was done packing the boy's things. "Of course," he promised, "I actually have something to give you while you're gone."

"What?" EJ asked, peering at Brian as the older man pulled a small cell phone out of his side pocket.

"It's nothing fancy," Brian said, holding the simple phone out to his son, "But I figured it would be better if I could call you directly and you could call me."

The little green phone was designed for children. With just a four buttons on it, only four cell phone numbers could be programmed for speed dial. All Evander would have to do to talk to his dad was hit the "one" and then the green phone sign and Brian would be on the end of the line.

"Cool," EJ said with a grin, "Now I can call you whenever I want."

Brian nodded and explained more of how it worked. "Just hit the one and it'll call me, but two is Michelle, three is Papa, and four is Grandma Holly, in case you get lost."

EJ's eyes widened. "I might get lost?"

Brian shook his head. "No, but if you don't see them and you get scared, you can call them and they'll come find you."

"You'll find me too, right?"

Brian nodded and pulled his son into his arms. "It's alright, Ev, it's just for a few days and then you'll be on the way home."

Brian and Evander were sprawled out in the living room with everyone else when the gate bell sounded. Everyone looked out of the front window and EJ put on his brave face.
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been way too long!
Please leave me some comments! I would love to hear what you guys think after all this time! Are you still interested in the story? Or no? What do you think about Evander visiting his grandparents? Did you notice that the story jumped a couple of months?

Just talk to me! :) I love you guys & love to hear from you. <3
Thanks!