The Lonely Hearts Job

Chapter One: Pancakes

The day they met it was nothing but a chance in counter, one rushing to get somewhere important the other just rushing as so not to miss life. They ran into each other, she mortified by the fact that she had spilled her double non-fact mocha latte on him, she remembered saying ‘I’m so sorry’ he wiped the hot drink from his shirt with a hanky smiling at her he said ‘It’s okay’. After that they spent each night with each other, 2yrs after they met he presented her with a beautiful diamond ring & again he smiled at her saying this time ‘Will you marry me?’, that had been just 1yr ago & the ring still on her finger they weren’t married. In the early morning hours the sun came through the curtains & she wakes reaching over to his side of the bed she felt nothing. He was gone, but she had come accustomed to this. She sat up & rubbed her eyes speaking out loud she said ‘Nate’, no answer. In her mind she thought ‘must be out on a job’. She got up & went downstairs, ‘Morning Andi’, said a familiar voice, shuffling to the kitchen she found her friend sitting behind a computer, as usual, ‘Morning Hardison’, she couldn’t believe at just 8 in the morning he was already drinking orange soda, but than again this was Hardison she had come to expect this kind of thing from him. ‘Were out of orange soda’, he said polishing off the bottle he was drinking. ‘Yeah I figured, I’ll go to the store later’, she said. ‘What? No, I’m talking to Andi’, he said ‘Sorry’, she said. ‘Your cool, it’s just Elliot. What? You ain’t anybody important’, he said. She started looking in the cabinet’s her stomach was growling & her mind was flashing the word pancake, but of course no batter , she knew than she would have to go to the store. ‘You want some pancakes Hardison’, she asked. ‘Hell yeah’, he said, ‘Alright gotta go to the store, I’ll be back shortly’ ‘Alright’, he said back to her. She went upstairs & got dressed. She snatched the keys from the counter & her phone & headed out the door. Inside her car she checked her phone here was a text message she opened it & read it ‘Could you please not talk to Hardison when were on a job? He’s easily distracted’, the text was sent from Nate. Just that & nothing else, he use to end all his text messages with ILY, but he’d erased that signature months ago, said it was unprofessional. She longed for those day’s but this was her life.

When she got back from the store the apartment was buzzing with excitement from the job they had just been on. She swopped into the kitchen unnoticed & almost ran into Elliot coming out of the fridge. ‘Hey, Hardison said you were making pancakes’ ‘Yeah, I got blueberries and chocolate chips, because I didn’t which you all would like, so I’ll make some of each’ ‘Awesome’, said a voice, Andi looked up & found Parker leaning over the counter. ‘Need any help’, asked Elliot, ‘No, I’m good thanks. Where’s Nate’, she asked. ‘Upstairs’, said Sophie. ‘Alright’ with that she started making their breakfast; she had come to enjoy these rituals. When all was done & they were sitting at the table Andi made her way upstairs, she found her fiancé sitting on the edge of their bed starring down at his phone, ‘Hey, breakfast is ready’, she said. He looked up at her & said, ‘Okay thanks, be down in a little bit’, she knew this was her moment to leave but instead walked over & sat next to him. He looked over at her & said ‘I said I’ll be down in a little bit’ ‘Alright fine, sorry, it’s just I haven’t seen you since late last night and I thought we could talk’, said Andi a hint of attitude in her voice, as usual he ignored her & she went to the door ‘You better hurry, you know how much Hardison can eat’, he looked up at her than & said ‘Could you make me a plate’ ‘Yeah sure’, she said. She went back downstairs & started building his plate. Sophie came to get another pancake. ‘Delicious as always’ ‘Thanks’ ‘He coming down’, she asked. ‘No, he wants me to bring him his plate’, said Andi. She made his plate & took it upstairs to him, she set it next to him on the bed, ‘Thanks hun’, he said. It was the first sweet thing he’d said since he’d gotten home. ‘You’re welcome’ & than went back downstairs to join her friends.