Status: New and active

All Grown Up

1

My parents are so embarrassing. It’s my 20th birthday today, and we have family over. Everyone’s gushing about how “it feels like just yesterday that I was born,” and that I’ve “grown up so fast.” She had brought out baby pictures, and I just felt super uncomfortable. Some of these family members that are here, I haven’t seen since I was younger or I haven’t ever met them. I had invited my closest friend, Alyssa Wright, to the party, since she was the one person I never lost trust in. I didn’t want to be around while everyone reminisced about how cute I was when I was younger. Those days were long gone. I was now 20 and I was loving every minute of finally feeling like an adult. Although, my mom had told me many times before that until I was out and living on my own, that she would continue to keep a firm grip on me. Since I live in the wonderful yet pricey town of Los Angeles, California, I wouldn’t be out on my own unless I suddenly won the lotto or married a doctor. Alyssa and I had managed to escape to my room, and I shut and locked the door behind us.

“That was absolutely brutal.” I flopped backwards onto my bed and stared at the ceiling. “Everything was peachy until my mom brought out the baby pictures. She must love torturing me.”

“You were super cute as a baby though…” Alyssa added.

I picked up the closest pillow and gracefully chucked it at her head. “Shut the hell up,” I said in between laughter. “I know I was fucking cute as hell.”

“Okay then what’s the problem, Reece?” Alyssa asked me looking confused.

I sat up and ran my fingers through my long blonde hair that I had curled nicely for today’s party. I sighed and looked at her. “I just get so embarrassed by her. I don’t know.” I got up and started to re-apply some makeup. “Can we get out of here? Wanna go to the park with me or something?”

-----

Somehow Alyssa had convinced my mother that I wasn’t feeling good and the only way I would feel better is if I got some fresh air. My mom had too many drinks by this point, she would believe anything. The park was just down the street from my house, so walking there didn’t tire me out completely. I sat down on a swing and brushed my feet against the mulch that filled the entirety of the park.

“I wish my mom would treat me like an adult. I mean I turned 20 today for Christ’s sake. And she still insists that she’s going to treat me like a kid until I move out, like how is that fair?”

Alyssa sat on the swing next to me and slowly pushed herself slowly. “I kind of understand where she’s coming from, though…” Her voice trailed off.

“Whose side are you on, Lys? Seriously…that’s the second time you’ve basically stood up for my mother today.” I asked, my voice getting progressively louder.

She frowned. “I’m on your side, of course! I just think sometimes you can be unreasonable. Now, being one of those times.”

I glared at her. “Wow, really?” I stomped over to the stairs, climbed up them and sat on the top of the jungle gym.

I heard shuffling of feet like someone was running. “Lys, where are you going?”

“Reece, that’s not me moving.”

I looked up and saw Alyssa still sitting on the swing. The sound is getting closer, and now that I think of it, it sounds like more than one person running. I turned to my right and saw the most beautiful guys I’ve ever seen in my entire life. I hopped off the jungle gym and walked back to Alyssa, quietly.

I sat next to her again, whispering into her ear. “That’s not…well you know…is it?”

She nodded. “Oh but it is. That’s One Direction.”