Status: Brand-spanking-new. On this website at least

Defect.

Shi

Brady’s POV

I waved bye to Venus as she skillfully balanced her shopping bags and opened the front door at the same time. I’m so jealous; I wish I could do that without dropping everything. I could smell the barbeque in the backyard as I drove away.

I hear a catchy song and I turned the radio up. I bopped my head along to the music.

I’m craving some donuts.

I was about to text Henny that I was gonna do a quick stop at Dunkin’ Donuts on my way home when I noticed that Venus “forgot” the small bag with the contact lenses. I scoffed; she’s not getting out of wearing contacts that easily!

I made a sharp illegal U-turn and sped back to her house—its okay there weren’t any cops around me.

I can’t wait until tomorrow to give it to her, no. For some reason it has to be tonight; right now. My stomach clenched; something wasn’t right. My heart rate also picked up by twice its normal speed.

Yes something is definitely not right.

I texted Henny that something was wrong and that I was heading back to Venus’ house. I’ve gotten these feelings before; Henny will know what to do. He texted back seconds later saying that he was rushing over here. By then I was already on Venus’ lawn. I just put the emergency brakes on and jumped out.

Shrieks were heard from the other side of the front door. I sprinted to door and without hesitating I slammed it open—I couldn’t be bothered with knocking.

First I saw Venus’ Mom hysterically crying, and being consoled by a random lady from the pack. Then Venus’s dad and an unknown man from the pack, both holding back a livid wolf with blood dripping off its fur.

And finally there was Venus kneeling in her own small pool of blood.

Her hands were putting pressure to her stomach, causing even more blood to gush out. She had other deep cuts.

I ran to her and shook her shoulders for her to stop doing that. Her body quickly went limp under my hands. She was falling to the floor. Getting her blood on me I cradled her, “Venus!” I shouted and shook her, “Wake up!”

She wasn’t responding. She was barely even breathing.

I brought out my phone and with shaking bloody fingers I dialed 911

“911—what’s your emergency?”

“Help me, help me please-” With her body getting heavy and colder in my arms, I was so desperate for help.

“Sir, what’s wrong?”

“My best friend- She-she was attacked.” My voice cracked. I was trying hard to stay strong and not break down crying.

“Is she breathing?”

Across from me Andromeda let out a feral growl.

“Just barely, she’s lost a lot of blood.”

“Okay sir, this is what you need to do. First I need your address to send the ambulance to your location. Now you have to-” Andromeda snarled loudly covering up the operator’s voice, and lunged again at us.

That threw me over the top.

“Shut up, you jealou—ARG!” I screamed as I threw myself at her. My phone flew out of my hand and crashed against the wall.

With a swift punch to Venus’s Dads nose and another kick at his friend’s pelvic area, they both let go and fell backwards. Andromeda whined but in a flash I wrapped my legs around her waist and got her into a choke hold.

My wolf wanted out.

“You killed my only friend!” I screamed as I tightened my hold. I could feel her body shifting back to its human form. Venus’ Dad and friend tried to pry me from her, but I wasn’t letting go until she had passed out—or died. She began scratching at my arm, drawing blood.

Venus’ Dad and friend kept demanding me to let her go. There’s one thing they don’t know: I didn’t have to listen to anyone’s command

“Brady, Let go. Now.”

It was the only voice I had to listen to or face dire consequences—Henry’s. So I let go and was pinned to the ground within seconds. Choking on air, Andromeda quickly scrambled to her Mom. Her Mom knelt down and wrapped a blanket around her naked body.

I tried to control my breathing, and my wolf.

Henry knelt over Venus and checked her pulse before carefully lifting her up. He had my phone between his shoulder and ear.

“Ma’am this is Alpha Colt of the ThunderBird pack. I have this under control… Yes ma’am, delete all records of this call.” The operator must be in a pack herself.

He hung up and threw it at me. It landed on my stomach; I couldn’t catch it since I was still being restrained.

“Why is she so special to you?!” Andromeda shrieked. She was covered in a blanket still shaking.

I growled at her, I can’t believe she still had the gall to talk!

“Because,” Henry snarled at her, “She’s mine.

The way he said it implied that she was his mate. He was indirectly admitting that Venus was his mate!

The whimper that came from Andromeda was loud, and her Mom’s shock was obvious. Yet I know it was a lie. Lennox, his real mate died years ago. And Venus’ isn’t a werewolf.

“Men, let him go.” They released me, “And follow me.” Henry commanded as he ran out the door. I quickly followed him with both men hot on my trail.

About a third of the pack was currently on the lawn. Henry must’ve sent out a distress signal. Everyone made way for us as we ran towards my car. Henry had parked his car in the middle of the lawn. They all had concerned looks on their faces, while others were unreadable. I don’t care if they want her alive or not.

She was going to be fine. She had to be, because she’s stronger than this.

She’s survived worse things.

**

Venus

“Will you buy me a big bucket of ice cream?” I asked unbuckling my seatbelt. I was only four, and at that age ice cream is everything.

Ay, cariño I’ll buy you the biggest bucket there is!” my Alphas mate, Ana Maria, told me partly in Spanish.

She was a Latina and unlike the Ballentyne family she was proud to flaunt it.

My family’s ancestors were from Spain, but we Americanized ourselves throughout the generations to blend into society. Ana Maria was bringing the Hispanic back to life in us. So much, that Alpha Ralf spoke mostly in Spanish now—he even got a Spanish accent when he spoke English.

I was just learning how to speak the language.

Karen, her best friend, laughed from the passenger’s seat, “Don’t spoil her too much Ana!”

Karen was from the Pavone pack. She was one of the Beta’s many cousins, and coincidently she was also best childhood friends with Ana Maria. Who was my Aunt and Luna.

“Pfft! Karen. She’s like my baby girl…” my Aunt shook her head, “Of course I’ll spoil her rotten!”

Ay Ana.” Karen said before closing the car door and jogging over to where my aunt was. I hopped out of the car and instantly grabbed my Aunt’s hand.

“So Venus ¿Cuál es tu helado favorito?” Aunty Ana asked bending over to look me in the eye.

My brain was having trouble translating it.

Karen laughed and patted my head, “She’s asking which ice cream is your favorite.”

My Aunt leaped up and smacked her arm, “She’s supposed to learn!”

Karen only laughed.

I thought about it for a second, “My favorite is-”

“Watch out!” Karen pushed us down just as a clank was heard. Within seconds of touching the floor we were engulfed in smoke.

My little lungs couldn’t take it, I began coughing harshly. Karen opened the car door just as my Aunt yanked me up from the floor. She shoved me in and Karen slammed the door closed. It was easier to breath in the car.

It was slowly filling up with smoke though.

My Aunt was instantly inside. She was fumbling with the keys to turn on the car. “Karen! Get inside!” she shouted. I could just barely make out Karen’s silhouette jerkily moving, through the smoke.

Then I saw a green dot on the back of my Aunts neck. She was still yelling at Karen to get inside. I noticed it was a laser, coming from behind and outside.

Tia” I called my Aunt as I quickly sat up on my knees and looked out the cars back window. I only saw green in my left eye right before I started screaming.

It felt like the laser tried cooking my eyeball. I bent down and rubbed my eye, now I was crying. The mixture of my tears and the smoke was making it hard to breath.

“Baby what’s wrong-” My Aunt was just starting to ask when a loud thump was heard. “Karen!” she shrieked.

Karen had been fighting with someone and they had thrown her nearly unconscious body onto the hood of the car. The smoke was letting up, and we clearly saw her injuries.

“Don’t leave this car.” My Aunt used an Alpha command on me. She then jumped out, locking the door behind her.

The second she moved from her seat I lunged forward, “Tia no! Don’t-”

Just then I felt immense pain in my upper back. I fell over into the driver’s seat, withering in pain. I cried out to my Aunt but she was too busy fighting Were’s and protecting her friend. She couldn’t hear me through the loud growls, or the car door.

I reached for my back and felt a dart. I glanced up at the roof of the car, someone had shot it through the sun window—it was meant for my Aunt.

Being shot with a dart really hurts. I sat up and pulled it out then glared at it, it was an indescribable color. If I had to choose, I would say that it looked ‘booger green’.

“Venus!” my Aunt shouted. I looked out the window. I looked out the widow, Karen was unconscious and being tied up by a masked man. My Aunt was hand fighting two other Were’s, and even though they were all in human form, she was losing.

“Venus! Corre! Corre! She shrieked right before one of the Were’s punched her in the mouth, causing her to collapse to the floor in a heap.

I learned enough to know that it meant RUN.

The Were’ then proceeded to hit her.

She was down and out for the count. He had to stop hitting her, whatever happened to the Mercy Rule my Daddy had taught me? They weren’t following rules!

“Enough!” the masked man that had just finished tying Karen up shouted, “get the girl!” he ordered as they sauntered over to the car. But they were too slow.

I was already running out of the parking lot and right into the street.

I ran the second my Aunt had shouted at me to.

A red car was heading towards me when it swerved and it hit the white car next to it. That crash wrecked havoc on all the other cars. Three crashed were heard as I reached the sidewalk.

That’s when the immense pain returned, but it was ten times stronger. This time it felt as if it was killing me on the inside.

Like it was setting my soul on fire.

I screamed and fell over in pain.

I was scratching at my sides to stop the pain. Small old ladies hovered around me wondering what could possibly be wrong with me.

Daddy! Stop the pain! Stop the pain Daddy!

I started crying even harder, making it nearly impossible to breath. Just when it felt like my insides had been burnt to ash, a pair of big strong arms picked me up off the floor and cradled me to a strong chest.

“Shhh.. it’s alright.”

I knew this voice, and these hands.

“Daddy,” I sobbed into his chest.

*

The forest path was lighted with the soft glow of captured fireflies; they hung in jars off of bamboo poles. It gave the night an even more magical feel to it.

Of course it would, it’s the night of the Eldon Ceremony.

I was six and old enough to participate.

I gripped my Daddy’s hand tighter as we walked further into the forest. My Mom and three year old Andromeda walked closely behind us. Andromeda was asleep in her arms.

I was scared, and uncomfortable. Not only because the summer dress my Mom put me in was itchy but because I haven’t heard from my wolf since the day of the incident.

I couldn’t even feel her anymore.

Did this mean that she had left me?

My Daddy sensed my discomfort and patted my head, causing my plastic blue headband to slip down in front of my eyes. I quickly put it back into its place.

He chuckled, “Don’t worry, sweetie. Everything will be fine. There’s nothing to fret over.” He said.

I looked down at my small flip flops, “Okay Daddy.”

“You’ll do wonderful, sweetheart.” My Mom commented from behind. I nodded.

And with that we made it into the Ceremonial Grounds—it was just a clearing that became a daisy field—with all the other children and their excited families. I looked around, the shaman—or medicine man—was already here. He was the one that was going to make the first shift easier.

The full moon was almost as its highest peak.

“Vee!”

I knew that voice anywhere. I turned around and smiled, “Tristan!” I said as I hugged him. He had on a blue shirt and beige shorts. His parents found mine, and they began a relaxed conversation immediately.

He hugged me back and grabbed my hand, “C’mon, let’s get in line!” he said pulling me along to our spots. My heart was thumping.

“Tristan… I’m scared.”

He turned to face me but still kept walking, “Why?”

“What if—What if my wolf isn’t…”

“Don’t worry.” He stopped walking and looked me in the face with a shy smile, “I’m sure your wolf will be just as pretty as you are.”

He blushed and I blushed. With all of our blushing I forgot what I was going to tell him.

The conch sounded, signaling the beginning. I lost Tristan as all the children ran to their respective places. We all stood in line going by level of authority, it didn’t matter what pack you belonged to.

Tristan was first, since Alpha Ralf didn’t have any children next in line was our Betas son, then Tristan’s Dad’s Beta’s son, then our third-in-commands kid then Tristan’s Dad’s. And the line went on like that.

Being the third-in-commands daughter I got to be two people away from Tristan.

We were all lined up in front of the mob of family members of both packs. Almost every member of both packs were present, except my uncle—he was still in mourning over the incident that took the life of his mate.

The Shaman began his boring speech and my heart thumped even louder. The full moon was at its peak. The transformation was just mere minutes away now.

I was scared.

I closed my eyes as the conch sounded again, meaning that the moon was at its peak.

“Go my children, show us your inner warriors.” The Shaman said as he clapped loudly with his staff in hand.

I felt his power, his magic, sprinkled over us immediately relaxing our tightened muscles. Then the threaded moment arrived. Loud pops, cracks, clothes tearing was heard throughout the line. A few whimpers here and there. It showed that they’re shifting.

I waited for the pain; for the tickling itch of my wolf wanting to come out.

But it never came.

I didn’t feel anything.

I opened my eyes to see that those around me had already completed their first shift. The entire line had shifted into wolves—all except me.

It was silent, no one spoke. They all stared at me very confused. I opened my mouth but nothing came out. Tears sprang to my eyes.

“Freak!” someone shouted before they were rudely shushed.

I let out a loud sob before I turned around and sprinted into the forest. No one followed me, they were all shocked. I heard Tristan’s howl as I dodged trees. I kept running.

I ran alongside the river until I slipped on moss, sending me into the freezing water. My flip flops were no longer on my feet. I kept swimming until the current shoved me ashore. I got out and laid down on a rock.

I was covered in moonlight.

I stayed there for a long time. I didn’t even move when the rain began pouring down.

Yet, they didn’t follow me. No one did.

I heard the crunching sound of leaved being crushed under someone’s heavy footstep. My head whipped in the direction of the sound, my hair slapping to my face by doing so. I was still crying when I saw the man approach my rock.

I wasn’t scared of him. “Uncle Ralf,” I cried loudly, my voice cracking on his name.

“I’m here for you, mi niña

My girl.

My daughter.


I ran off my rock and into his awaiting embrace.