Status: This is the brand new story I'm working on. Hope you enjoy!

Good for Nothing

Chapter 17

I assumed it was some kind of van I was bundled into after Ivan blindfolded me and securely tied my hands behind my back. The only way I came to that conclusion was that I heard the vehicle door slide shut rather than bang shut. He had tried to gag me too but I bit down hard on his left arm ad he drew the thick, rough fabric through my mouth and round to the back of my head. As much as I felt completely disorientated, I did not feel frightened. If anything, I still felt incredibly angry and the only fear I felt was for Heath; I imagined him jumping in his car and driving like a madman. That scared me. I just hoped to God that he wouldn’t do anything silly whilst behind the wheel. I couldn’t be the one who caused his demise.

Ivan still had my phone and if there would have been any way for me to get at it, the first thing I would have done is phone Heath to tell him I was okay. I knew I hadn’t a cat in hell’s chance though.

The van screeched to a halt and I hit the back of the driver’s seat face on. Pain seared through my head and then the rest of my body. Ivan laughed at the whimper I let out. I heard the engine cut and then his door opening. I braced myself and prepared for the worst; at least then, I thought, anything less so would be a bonus. My door slid open and a rush of fresh air permeated the stuffy confines of my mobile cell. Ivan’s hands grabbed my shoulders.

“Right, you can get out now.” He said, guiding me to the exit even though I had expected him to drag me out. He held the top of my right arm and led me forwards; to where, I had no clue. We walked. I heard keys jangling and then something I assumed was a door, being unlocked.

“Here we are, Leia.” Ivan said chirpily.

******

It sounded like Ivan was in a kitchen, pottering around, opening and closing cupboard doors; it seemed he was searching for something.

“Shit, why didn’t I get groceries?” Ivan asked out to no one in particular; the question was certainly not meant for me.

I heard more doors being thrown open and slammed shut again and finally, what sounded like the suck of a fridge door opening.

“Ah, yes; now that’s better – we have beer!” Ivan shouted, sounding more cheerful after his discovery. “You want one, Leia?”

“Yes please.” I replied, figuring I may as well make the most of the last beer that might ever pass my lips. I heard the clinking of bottles and then padding footsteps came towards me.

“Hhm, I better take this off then.” Ivan said as he carefully untied my blindfold.

My eyes squinted, taking a moment to register the brightly lit lounge I was standing in the middle of.

“And let’s untie you too.” Ivan added before quickly and masterfully undoing the binding around my hands.

I felt total relief to have control over all my senses once more and even though I wanted to use all the power left in me to flee the house, I came to the conclusion that it would be a complete waste of time and my precious energy; it would be best to save that for when it really mattered. In the meantime, I’d just play along.

“Here you are honey, enjoy.” Ivan said with a smile as he handed me a beer.

Just to hear him call me that made my skin crawl and my blood boil but I smiled, albeit through gritted teeth, and took the bottle from him.

“Thank you.” I replied as a put the bottle straight to my lips. I didn’t realise just how much I would savour the ice cold, refreshing, hoppy liquid. I glugged at the bottle and downed it in seconds.

“Jeez, someone’s thirsty.” Ivan observed. Yes, I thought; no shit Sherlock!

“So very thirsty,” I replied truthfully and ever so slightly suggestively.

“You want another; there’s plenty?” Ivan asked again.

“Yes, why not,” I answered. Ivan hadn’t even taken a sip out of his bottle yet and I’d just destroyed mine. I berated myself; yes it may taste good but I had to be careful; I had to keep my wits about me.

Ivan retreated back to the kitchen. I could see the impression of my phone in his back, left pocket and I desperately wanted to run up behind him and snatch it but I knew my life wouldn’t be worth living if I followed through on my plan. I would just have to give it time.

I took a glance around the lounge; it was vintage but modern all the same – very nineteen-sixties. My eyes then went to Ivan in the kitchen. Again, it was like the lounge; vintage but with all mod cons. I noted in particular that the fridge/freezer was a SMEG. I’d always wanted one of those. I quickly and quietly snapped at myself for briefly letting my guard down. Ivan turned away from the fridge with another bottle in his hand.

“Why don’t we sit?” He asked, gesturing towards the leather settee opposite the television.

I took the lead and headed over to it with Ivan trailing behind. We sat down in silence. I took another big gulp of my beer, trying to quell the nerves that were once again setting in. I didn’t know what was worse; nice Ivan or the evil one. Why was he being so friendly? The beer started to have the desired effect and as I felt my courage coming back I loosened up just slightly.

“Why am I here, Ivan?”

“What kind of a question is that, Leia? Surely you already know that?” Ivan replied.

“Other than the fact you have a grudge to bear,” I answered, “no I don’t.”

“The pair of you went to the police about me, Leia and friends just don’t do that to each other, especially not my girlfriend!”

“Friends? Your girlfriend?” I asked, unable to stop the sarcastic guffaw that flew from my mouth. “With all due respect, we are not together anymore and you gave up your right to Heath’s friendship a long time ago.”

Ivan took a long swig of his beer and pondered over my response before answering.

“But that was all so long ago, Leia. Time heals, as they say.”

I could not believe the words that were thoughtlessly spilling from Ivan’s mouth but then again, I shouldn’t have expected anything different; a guy with so little remorse will always make light of the horrible things he’s done.

“Ivan, is that seriously what you believe?”

“I do. Whatever’s happened between us is all in the past.” Ivan carried on as if nothing had ever been wrong between us, “We’re adults honey, don’t you think it’s time to forgive and forget?”

A rush of clarity flushed through my head. Just agree with him, Leia, I thought to myself; remember what you said about playing along?

“I suppose you’re right I guess. I can forgive you Ivan but I don’t think I will ever forget. You did some horrible things, Ivan; to me, to Heath and to Sarah; you hurt her to get to us and that, I will never forget.”

“No, I don’t suppose anyone would but I know I can make it up to you; I was always really good at that wasn’t I?”

“You were, Ivan; you certainly were.” I answered him, knowing exactly what he was getting at. Ivan continued.

“We were good together too weren’t we?” He asked.

I feigned coyness.

“What do you honestly see in Heath, Leia? He’s nothing like me; he’s a pussy. You want a real man, not someone who’s going to treat you ‘nice’.”

My heart was screaming “NO!” It wanted me to slap Ivan round the face. How dare he even try to compare himself to Heath; the only man who has ever truly, completely and utterly loved me for who I am? He’s never asked me to change for him. On the flipside, my head yelled “GAME ON!”

“You know, Ivan; you’re right! I’m sick of being mollycoddled and I’m tired of how good he is to me. Don’t get me wrong, I love the attention and the gifts but he could never be you! I need to be treated rough again; I need to be shown who’s the boss!”

“And that’s exactly my point, Leia. You know you could have that all over again.”

“If that’s what you want?” I asked.

“Honey, you know it is!” I answered with eyes wide open, looking almost psychotic.

“Why didn’t you just tell me that then, Ivan? Why did you have to hurt Sarah? Why did you have to do any of this?”

“I was scared you wouldn’t want me,” Ivan replied, actually looking convincingly sad, “I took you because you’d have no choice but to hear me out and if you agree to be with me, there’s really no need for you to go back to Invention.”

“Ivan, you know I can’t leave Invention; my business is there and so is my home. I can’t leave all that behind.”

“But that means you’ll see Heath and Sarah and I will not have that!” Ivan replied, starting to sound like his old self again.

“No, no it won’t!” I replied, “I’ll make sure they know I want nothing more to do with them. I tell you what; you give me the phone now and I will tell each of them that they are no longer welcome in my life.”

Ivan started to pull the phone out from his back pocket without question. Yes, I thought; this was it. Suddenly, Ivan’s internal penny dropped.

“Hang on a bit,” he said, quickly realizing his mistake, “no way!” There is no way you’re having your phone back. Here’s a better idea; I’ll phone them.”

Actually, if truth be told, that was the better idea. There’s no way Heath or Sarah would have believed a single word he spoke and just maybe, they’d contact the police unless they hadn’t already done so.

“Okay, that’s fine,” I said, amused by Ivan’s stupidity, “do it then; do it now!”

I watched as Ivan pulled up my contacts and found Heath’s number. He smiled and pressed call, clearing his throat in preparation for his warning to Heath. Heath must have answered pretty much immediately. Ivan smiled throughout his speech before hanging up with a formal “goodbye Heath.” Sarah was next and when Ivan pulled the phone away from his ear, I heard the barrage of curses that Sarah bellowed down the line. Ivan ended the call with a snide sneer on his face and placed my phone on the arm of the chair behind him.

Ivan looked sickeningly pleased with himself. Inside I felt like two huge parts of me had died; I just hoped that Heath and Sarah knew that I could never, ever feel that way about them both. I pulled myself together quickly, plastering a cheeky smile on my face with the ease of an accomplished actress.

“So what do we do know?” I asked suggestively.

“Well, I could think of a few things,” Ivan answered as he inched closer and closer to my face.

“Oh really. And what would they be?”

“Let’s just see huh?” Ivan replied breathlessly as he pushed his lips to mine. I felt numb; so numb in fact that I did not feel my arms slip around his body to slide the phone off the arm of the chair and downwards, pushing it behind the cushion.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update then folks. Thanks to my loyal, brilliantly helpful and thoughtful readers and so far. Your comments and constructive criticism really do mean so much to me. I cannot thank you enough. Mwah xxxxxxxx