Status: This is the brand new story I'm working on. Hope you enjoy!

Good for Nothing

Chapter 3

Arrgghhhh! It’s Opening Day already. I’ve never usually liked Mondays all that much but I had never before felt this nervous about them. This is going to be the best Monday EVER!

After waking at five-twenty am, I brewed a gigantic pot of coffee and pondered over whether my stomach could deal with breakfast. Not really, but I supposed it best to eat something. I sat and ate my muesli quietly allowing myself a moment of reflection and savouring every gulp of coffee as it went down. Seven am rolled around far too quickly, so I dropped my bowl, mug and spoon in to the kitchen sink and ran up to my room. I changed in to my black skinny’s, black and white chequered Vans and my especially made ‘Leia’s Books & Photography’ t-shirt, all of which I’d left out last night so I hadn’t got to mess around this morning. Now, I really did feel “official” (oh, and I suppose you finally know my name now, right? Ha; never thought about that!). I washed and brushed my teeth (three times – I was going to be doing a lot of talking today and I didn’t want coffee breath) and then carefully applied enough make up to make me look at least a little presentable, especially since a local newspaper was coming to cover the grand opening.

I headed back down to the kitchen and from the fridge, I retrieved two large platters of canapés and crudités which I’d prepared, with my own fair hands, the night before. On the kitchen counter was a box of Chilean Shiraz. I knew a few of my customers, who just so happened to be the only friends I had made here in Invention, preferred red over white wine any day. However, I tried to cater for all and made sure there was a box of white wine too. The Champagne was chilling (with three more bottles in the fridge, just for good measure) and wouldn’t be popped until my first customer comes through that door.

I stepped in to my shop and took a long, deep breath; surveying all that was mine and taking in all that I had achieved thus far.

The door shook. This is it; my first customer!

******

“Hey honey,” exclaimed Sarah as she threw her arms excitedly around me, “WOW! You did it! Man, this place looks incredible!”

Sarah is my best friend and here’s why: she was the one that found me, stumbling around at the gateway to Invention. She literally found me even though I’m sure she really wasn’t looking for anything in particular. She took me home (her home) and gave me everything I could have possibly needed in those first few weeks of being here. She allowed me a base to live in and to work from. The day I paid that deposit was pretty emotional for the both of us. She didn’t want me to leave but she was so happy that I was doing something with my life and of course, I felt the same. I knew she would be the first one waiting outside the shop. I’d go so far as to say she was possibly even more excited than me.

“Aw, thanks sugar,” I replied with what little breath I’d still got in me after that crush she called a hug, “You know I’d never have been able to do this if it weren’t for you, my rocking friend!” Sarah laughed in to my ear and pulled away.

“That means a lot to me,” she said, an audible quiver in her voice, “you know that, right?”

“Of course,” I replied before gently wiping the tears that were on the verge of falling from her watery eyes, “and you mean the world, and more, to me!” I choked up on that last bit and immediately turned my thoughts to my parents and how I wish we still kept in touch. You see, my parents are THE most amazing people I’ve ever known. They were always incredibly supportive of me as well as caring and loving. They were the only people that ever really “got” me. Things turned sour though when I started living with Ivan (yes, that’s the bastard’s name!). They warned me, on numerous occasions what he was like; told me he was no good. Well, to me that was like waving a red rag to a bull. Being the rebel I thought I was at the time, I batted every one of their misgivings away until finally, I told them to leave me alone – I didn’t need them interfering with my life anymore. That was the last I’d heard or seen of them and to this day, it is my biggest regret and my only true heartbreak. I wonder if they’ll ever forgive me. I’d so love for them to be here, now.

Sarah sensed my impending breakdown and gently pulled me back in to a hug. “Ssshhhh; I know baby,” she said, stroking my hair, “I know your folks would be ever so proud even if they can’t be here.” At this, the sobbing came in full force.

“Hey,” Sarah snapped, “look at me!” I did as I was told. “This is the biggest and best day of your life and it’s taken a whole heap of sacrifice to get here. Give yourself a massive pat on the back, wipe your eyes, pull yourself together and prepare for greatness - Now, get!” I laughed in the way only Sarah knows how to make me. She’s a strange fruit, this one, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Um, how did you get here so early?” I asked, “You know I’m not due to open until nine-thirty?”

“Ah,” she replied, tapping her nose, Columbo style, “I have ways and means.”

“Which are?” I asked, intrigued.

“A tent, sleeping bag, wash bag, fresh undies and a flask of cocoa, mildly infused with Irish Cream …..” she said, checking off a mental list, “oh, and a hip flask of Jack Daniels!” At this, we both doubled over laughing but in all seriousness, her being here meant everything to me. She was my family now.

Crikey, was that the time already; ten-past-nine and counting. I took a peep outside through the shop frontage and noticed a small queue forming. My other two friends, Eve and Robert, were next in line and once they spotted me, their faces shone with huge grins as they proceeded to wave at me like loons. I waved back with an air of seriousness, and then casually popped my tongue out. And then more people joined my little queue; a couple of faces I’d definitely seen around and a few I definitely hadn’t. By nine-twenty-eight, I could hear the chitter-chatter of everyone outside and as I stood there, hand poised over the lock on the door, a guy who I could only assume was the photographer from the local rag practically body slammed the door. I didn’t know whether to howl with laughter or tell him what for (I’d spent ages getting these windows crystal clear!). He looked completely out of sorts and somewhat flustered. Being the consummate professional (me? Ha ha), I gestured to him that I would be open in two minutes and tried to carry across the point that he wasn’t late, which I assumed why he was in such a rush. He managed to regain a modicum of composure in those final, dragging, couple of minutes.

******

Sarah stood to one side as I unlocked the door and welcomed the gaggle of patient customers in.

“Hi there,” I said to one and all with, quite possibly, the cheesiest smile ever, playing across my face, “My name’s Leia; welcome to my shop.”

The people who had been waiting outside each shook my hand before Sarah handed them glasses of Champagne. Thank heavens I had another five bottles out back in the fridge. As the very last customer filed in, Sarah put her arm around my shoulders and nodded in satisfaction.

“You’ve done it girl!” she whispered in quiet excitement. “All this; it’s you. It’s what you deserve and so much more. I hope you know how immensely proud I am of you?” I smiled and turned to her then whispered back.

“Of course I know, silly!”

******

I’d almost forgotten about the local photographer until I heard him let out a little cough, notifying me that he hadn’t disappeared off the face of the planet.

“Oh my God, I’m so sorry!” I said - my voice thick with apology, “I must have just got carried away in the moment.” I stuck out my hand, “My name’s Leia,” I added and realised that he already knew that; duh! “You are?”

The photographer raised his head and looked me straight in the eye. Oh hell, this guy is beautiful! I noted his perfectly pale skin and his dark, almost pitch black, shoulder length hair. Did I also detect a little smudged eyeliner around those warm, velvety hazel eyes? Yup. His nose was straight but not too long. I’d go as far as to say he looked very slightly effeminate but manly, all the same.

“Um, Leia?” Sarah said as she nudged me, “Earth to Leia!” I realised I’d been standing there, mouth slightly agape, almost entranced. I mentally shook myself from my reverie.

“Oh, yes,” I stammered, “You were saying?”
“Uh, I didn’t say anything,” the photographer replied with trepidation, clearly confused and looking a little embarrassed, “but if you want to know my name, you know – like you asked – it’s Heath.”

Mmmmmmm, Heath – now that is a nice name. Did I say that out loud? Nope; phew!

“Heath?” asked Sarah, and I knew what was coming next – great minds think alike, “that’s a lovely name.” Seems my bestie was a tad smitten too.

“Thanks,” said Heath, gingerly, “and you are?” he asked Sarah.

“Oh, me?” Sarah replied, dumbfounded by such a basic question, “Oh yeah; my name’s Sarah.”

“Cool. Leia and Sarah,” Heath added as confirmation, “So, without sounding dumb; this is your business, right Leia?”

“It sure is!” I replied; confidence well and truly back in the room.

“And, Sarah; do you work here?” Heath asked.

“Oh, oh no; no I don’t. I’m Leia’s best pal, confidante, partner in crime; delete where appropriate.”

“So, you’re not like a Business Partner or anything?” He asked again.

“Nope, not officially, but unofficially – yup, I may as well be.” Sarah replied.

“What does she mean by that?” Heath turned the questioning to me. I could see the building annoyance in Sarah’s expression.

“Let’s just say, Heath,” I answered, “if it weren’t for my best pal,” I nodded at Sarah, “I seriously would not be where I am today.”

I saw Heath fumble with something in his black, velvet blazer pocket. I looked down inquisitively and he guessed what I was looking at.

“Oh this?” he asked as he pulled a Dictaphone out of his pocket, “I’m recording; for obvious purposes.” Of course he is; silly Leia. “You see, I’m not a fan of formal interview techniques. I prefer to strike up a rapport with my subject in order to get the best out of them,” Heath explained. “I’d rather just chat with you. It’s interesting for both the interviewer and interviewee then.” I had to agree with him on that one. So many reporters seem to put words in to people’s mouths or edit copy until it bears now hint of resemblance to the original interview.

“Just try and ignore me, if you can,” Heath said, oblivious to the fact that that would be very hard for me to do; I mean, come on – the guy’s a hottie. “I want you to just carry on as if I’m not here, you know; talk to your customers, mingle – look beautiful,” hang on, did he just say what I thought he said? “And above all; SMILE! You have a wonderful smile, so use it.” Heath finished off the speech by giving me a playful wink. OH. MY. GOD; seriously – WOW!

“Okay,” I sighed (damn it; should not have done that – looks desperate), “you’re on! If you need anything though,” oh, please need something, “don’t hesitate to ask, okay?”

“Roger that!” Heath replied, giving me the Scouts Honour hand gesture.

******

It was incredibly hard to concentrate whilst I’d got the gorgeous Heath lurking quietly in the background. That makes it sound really creepy doesn’t it? Well, it wasn’t. I knew he was watching me. Now and again I’d steal a sneaky glance at him just as he quickly averts his gaze. In all honesty, I was revelling in it; it felt good.

It was approaching closing time (which was early today due to it being an open day rather than a usual business day) and people were leisurely filing out whilst wishing me well and saying goodbye. Sarah tagged along at the end of the line of people.

“I’m going now, honey,” she said as she planted a kiss on each of my cheeks and hugged me.

“What?” I asked, “Aren’t you going to stay for a proper celebration? I have an untouched box of Shiraz out back with our names on it!” Sarah faked a cough and nodded, not particularly discreetly, towards the corner of the room with the cash register in it. I looked round, somewhat surprised to see that Heath was there, fingering through the graphic novels section. I turned back to Sarah, mouthing a silent, “Oh, I see” to which she replied with a nod back before flashing a huge knowing grin. I imagined that inside; she was clapping and jumping for joy.

“No, gotta dash,” Sarah replied, “that TV dinner for one is just screaming my name. I’m sorted; got my Vampire Diaries catch up and the rest of my JD to finish.” I heard Heath let out a snicker behind me but didn’t react.

“So long as you’re sure?” I asked.

“Of course I am, my little chickadee! You can save a couple of bottles of that Champers though,” and she added with a whisper, “think of it as my thank you present.”

“Agreed.” I replied and hugged my best friend almost as if it were to be the last time.

Sarah pulled the door shut behind her and I flipped the “Open” sign to “Closed” before dropping the latch. I thought better about locking it, just in case.

By now, Heath had turned around to look at me as I headed towards him.

“What you still doing here, Heath?”

“Oh, me?” he asked, pretending to look around as if there was still a room full of people, “Just wanted to see if I could get me own, private interview with you; you know – one on one?”

“Well, if it’s necessary to your work, then who am I to say no?” I cheekily replied.

“Exactly!” he exclaimed with a short, firm nod of the head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just want to say a HUGE thank you to my 2 subscribers (you know who you are). Can't wait to hear what you guys all think. I love a bit of feedback, me!