Whirlwind

And it's not enough to tell me that you care

I checked my reflection in the full length mirror in the bedroom of my hotel room, making sure that my outfit looked alright. I couldn’t help but feel nervous and excited all at the same time. I know that I barely knew Elizabeth and I certainly didn’t know her friends, but she seemed nice enough. Plus I just had this gut feeling that tonight was going to be fun. It wasn’t often I got to do things like this.

Smoothing my hands over the short, emerald green dress I was wearing (I may or may not have been thinking of Tom when I recently purchased it), I felt satisfied with my appearance. I grimaced slightly at the black heels I had on, knowing it wouldn’t be long until I would regret wearing them.

I picked up my clutch, sliding my cell phone along with some money into it before heading to the door. I still had some time before Elizabeth and her friends would arrive, but I figured I would head down now just in case.

Just as I got off the elevator, I saw Elizabeth walking through the front door of the hotel into the lobby and obviously looking around for me. When she saw me she smiled.

“You look fantastic,” she said.

“Thanks, so do you,” I said.

“Thanks,” she said. “I hope you’re ready for a fun night. I was able to snag two friends of mine to join us and they are currently waiting in a taxi outside.”

“Sounds good,” I said, following her back outside and to a waiting taxi. Elizabeth opened the back door of the cab and I could see a red head and a blonde sitting together in the back seat, laughing about something. They smiled when they saw us and waved. I waved shyly back.

“I’ll sit in the front,” Elizabeth said, as I slid into the back seat with the two girls and Elizabeth sat up front. She told the driver the name of some club I didn’t catch and he pulled away from the curb. Elizabeth turned around so she could look at us and pointed at the red head and then the blonde. “Sarah, this is Jenny and this is Claire.”

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you,” I said, smiling at the two of them. They smiled back, reciprocating my own sentiments.

“I hope you’re ready for a crazy night,” Jenny, the red head, said. “Claire knows one of the bartenders at this club so we can probably get some free shots or drinks.”

---

Jenny had not been lying; the drinks were free and plentiful as Claire spent the night flirting with one of the bartenders, leaning over the bar to give him a good view of her cleavage.

Tom had texted me earlier to see what I was up to and I had told him what club we had gone to in case he wanted to drop by. My phone was long forgotten though, tucked away inside my clutch that was currently behind the bar with Claire’s friend.

Once the drinks had started flowing, I really hit it off with Jenny and Elizabeth, laughing over stupid things and dancing amongst the throng of people.

Jenny had just been pulled away from us by a random guy, the two of them dancing together when Elizabeth moved towards me.

“That guy over there is checking you out,” she said, loud enough for me to barely hear over the music. I looked in the direction that she had indicated and saw a blonde guy at the bar staring at us. Feeling brave from the alcohol I smiled and gave him a small wave. He grinned back at me and I turned around to smile at Elizabeth. Her eyes met mine and her smile widened. “He’s coming over… and with a friend.”

A moment later, I felt an arm circle around my waist from behind, a hand laying flat against my stomach as my body was pulled against another. I turned my head, resting it on the strangers shoulder as he smiled down at me, grinding his hips against my ass. His friend had gotten a hold of Elizabeth and they were in their own world now.

I danced for a few songs with the stranger until finally I turned around to face his front.

“You’re really beautiful,” he said loudly as he leaned towards me.

“Thank you,” I said loudly, smiling up at him. He smiled back before leaning closer, his hand finding the small of my back before his lips were on mine.

I had just parted my lips to allow his tongue further exploration, when I felt myself being pulled away from him.

Startled, I looked behind me, surprised to see Tom standing there, looking angry. And because I was drunk, I felt myself grow angry too, and I ripped my arm from Tom’s grasp before swinging my arm, my hand making contact with Tom’s face.

Before I could register the shock on Tom’s face as well as the bystander’s faces, I turned and stormed out of the club.

I was walking quickly down the sidewalk, the thumping of the club’s music now just background noise when I heard quick footsteps behind me.

“Sarah!” Tom called. A moment later I felt his hand on my shoulder, stopping me and spinning me around. I stumbled slightly from the alcohol and the heels I was wearing.

“Leave me the fuck alone,” I spat, glaring at him.

“Just talk to me, please,” he said. “Why are you so angry?”

“Why am I so angry?” I asked. “Why were you angry back there?”

“I didn’t like that guy kissing you,” he said.

“Exactly,” I said. “This is not how this works. You are not supposed to care what I do. We are just fucking. In fact, we haven’t been fucking for very long, yet here we are and you’re already showing me you can’t handle this.”

“Sarah, please,” he said. “Can we just… I don’t know, discuss this a bit more calmly or maybe when you’re sober.”

“No,” I said. “We’re talking about this now. You need to understand that if you are having any feelings that are getting in the way of this being a casual thing, then this can’t continue. If I want to go out and kiss other guys and maybe bring them back to my room to fuck them, then you need to be fine with that. Are you going to be able to handle that?”

Tom was silent, watching me intently for a moment. I felt on edge, hoping that somehow he would be fine with this. I liked spending time with him, but I knew if this was going to be difficult for him, we probably wouldn’t be spending much time together.

“I… I don’t think I’m going to be able to do this anymore, then,” Tom said slowly, eyes meeting mine. I could tell this hadn’t been an easy choice for him.

“Then it was nice knowing you, Tom,” I said quietly after a moment. I walked past him, heading back to the club.

When I got back inside the club, the guy I had been kissing was by the bar.

“You want to come back to my place?” he asked. I leaned against the bar next to him.

“Sure,” I answered after thinking about it for a minute. He smiled at me and I got the bartender to give me my clutch.

There was no turning back now.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, hey! I'm alive. I kind of got uninspired with this story, but I'm going to try and get back into writing it.

I started this chapter back in January, with a specific idea in mind, but it kind of went in a different direction.

I think I'm going to condense this story a bit from what I originally intended, so it definitely won't be as long as I originally planned. We'll see how it goes. I'll try and get inspired and update again soon!

~Sally

[Chapter title credit: Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch]