Status: In progress

My Only One

Go away Jack. I don’t like you anymore.

ALEX~
My mom had made me and my dad food and then after that I went over to see Megan’s house. I guess I was just trying to be nice because I wouldn’t want not know anyone in a brand new neighborhood and school. It would suck. I walked up the stairs on to her front porch and I rang the doorbell. A woman, probably her mom answered.

“Hello sweetie,” she said and smiled at me. “Hi, I’m here for Megan.” She wore a confused look. “Oh that’s nice. We only got here a couple hours ago. I’m glad she’s made a new friend already.” She directed her attention toward the stairs. “Megan, your friend is here for you!” She looked back at me. “What’s your name?”

“Alex Gaskarth. I live right next door.” I pointed to my house. She clapped her hands together. “That’s nice.” I saw Megan at the top of the stairs and I waved at her. She walked down and took her mom’s place at the door. “Come on in, Alex.” She headed up the stairs. “So this is my house.” I nodded. “It’s really nice. I heard it’s one of the nicest on the block.” She smiled.
We walked all the way up to the third floor. She turned to me. “My room is up here. I’ll show you but you have to promise not to tell anybody. It’s a secret.” I nodded, wondering what could be so secretive about a bedroom. We walked all the way to the last room. She pushed open the door and I was astonished at what met my eyes.

It was the grandest library that I had ever seen in my life. It was huge. The book cases were big and tall and towering over us when we walked in the room. There was only one book on one bookcase in the whole room. “This is your room?” I was puzzled and she smiled at me. “In a way, it is.” She walked over to the bookcase with the one book and she slid the book down. The whole bookcase opened.

“Whoa. That is too cool.”

“I know.”

How come my house didn’t have this? She stepped inside and I followed to reveal a newly furnished room. It was pretty big. It had one window and I’m surprised that no one else knew about this room. Well, I figured they didn’t because she wanted to keep it a secret. I examined the room. She had a lot of posters. “How do you go from The Maine to Of Mice and Men? Really.” She shrugged. “I like a lot of different things. My Kenny Chesney poster got ripped on the way here.” I laughed at that. Pop, alternative, screamo, country. Wow.

“Yeah, so this is my house and this is my amazing room. Don’t tell anyone, especially my mother. She’d probably kick me out in a heartbeat so she could have it for herself. Or she’d let me keep it and I’d never get any alone time.”

“I promise.” She smiled. She smiles a lot. “Thanks. Thanks for coming over here. It feels nice not to be such a loner all the time. I’ve moved so much that I never had any friends. I think this time is different though. I have a feeling we’ll stay here. I don’t know why though. I just do.”
It made me happy that I was making other people happy. “I hope you do.” I glanced out the window. You could see my house from it. “Oh my gosh. That window right there is my room. You know the one right across from this one.” She laughed. “How convenient that is.”
We kind of ran out of things to do and to talk about and I didn’t want to seem boring so I told her I had to go. “Ok. Well, I’ll see you later then.” I thought. “I’m not doing anything tomorrow. I can show you the rest of the town if you want.” She nodded. “Yeah, you can just stop by at noon or something.” I smiled and walked out of the room, down the hallway, down the stairs and out the door.

I had a fun time, I thought as I walked through the door of my home. She’s really nice and she’s really funny. Maybe I’ll introduce her to the rest of the guys later this week. I know Jack liked her already. I can see her being a good friend. I’d make sure to remember to go over there at noon tomorrow.

The day went by and night quickly came. The morning approached just as fast and I woke up to it being 3:00p.m. “Aw, shit.” I quickly got dressed in skinny jeans and a t-shirt and ran down the stairs. “Alex, that girl next door came by an hour ago and I told her you were sleeping and she said for you to come by when you wake up.” I nodded. “Yeah, yeah.” I walked out the front door and walked to her house. Two little girls opened the door when I rang the bell. They whispered to each other and the shorter one said, “Are you Alex?” I nodded and the taller one looked at her. “Told you,” she said and then looked at me. “My name is Angela and this is Alyssa. We’re Megan’s sisters. We’ll go get her.” They both ran into the door to the right of the stairs.
Megan walked out, smiling. “Good morning sunshine. Get enough sleep?” I laughed. “Ha, yes I think so. I have no clue how I slept that long. Sorry. Do you still want to take your grand tour?” She nodded and started to put on her shoes. “You know it.”
We walked around for hours. We played a game where we each asked one question to the other and they had to answer. Her favorite color is blue, her favorite band is Sleeping with Sirens, she likes tacos, she’s moved more times then she could count, she doesn’t live with her dad and a lot more. She’s a really cool person.

“Tell me one thing about you that you haven’t said anything about yet.” I had told her almost everything. What else was there to tell? “Um, I used to have a brother. His name was Tom. A year and a half ago he committed suicide.” Her face instantly dropped. “Oh my God. I’m so sorry. You didn’t have to talk about it.” I shook my head. “No. What happened, happened. I can’t change it so what is the big deal if I talk about it, you know? Can’t just hide the fact that it happened.”

“I get it.” She gave a half smile. “So,” she said, “I have had a really fun time but I think I need to be getting back. My mom’s going to kill me. We need to hang out again this week, yeah?” I nodded and smiled at her. “Yeah. Maybe in couple days. We walked home and said our goodbyes and went into our separate houses.
My mom was in the kitchen when I walked in. The woman was always cooking something. “Have fun, sweetie? You were gone for a while. Were you with the guys?” I shook my head. “No, I was giving Megan a tour of the place and showing her where everything was. It was fun, yes.”
“Oh, that’s nice.”

A couple days went by where I hadn’t really talked to Megan. I hadn’t really talked to anyone for that matter, when I heard the doorbell ring. “I got it!” I yelled to my mom. “Alex, where’ve you been, man?” I tried to shut the door in his face. “Go away Jack. I don’t like you anymore.” I smiled at him. “I’ve been relaxing. I needed a break.” He dragged me outside. “Let’s go to Rian’s. Zack and Kara are there too.”

“Before we go, can I do something?” He nodded and I ran to Megan’s front door. She answered almost right away. “Oh, hey Alex.”

“Hi. Jack,” I paused to look at Jack who waved and smiled at Megan,” and I are going to my friend Rian’s house. It’s across the street from the park that we met at. A couple of my other friends that are in the band and a couple of our friends are there. Do you want to come?”

“Yeah, of course. Do they all go to Dulaney?”

“They all go to Dulaney.”

“I’ll get my stuff then. Hold on.”

Jack came up behind me and jumped on my back. “Party at Rian’s!”
♠ ♠ ♠
:) :) :) :) :) I love this story so much.