Don't Let This Memory Fade Away

Chapter Two

When I opened my eyes, I saw the woman standing over me, along with a man. They looked concerned. As I stared up at them, I noticed that they both looked like they were in their 40’s. Both of them looked like kind people, and I felt comfortable with them, even though I didn’t even know their names.

“Are you okay?” The woman asked me as she took my hand and helped me up.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just… shocked? I can’t believe that this actually worked.”

She smiled “Well, I’m Marian, and this is my husband, Elliot.”

I looked to her husband and then back at her. “It’s nice to meet you both.”

“And it’s nice to meet you! Now, from what Amelia told us in the message, your name is Farah?”

I was confused “Who’s Amelia?”

“Amelia is the woman who sent you here. Didn’t she tell you her name?”

“No.”
“Oh, well, that’s strange. Anyhow, you will be starting school at Dulaney on Monday. Today it is Friday, so we’ll have to-“

“Wait,” I cut her off “how am I supposed to be attending there without my records?”

“Amelia will be sending them to us.” She said, clearly annoyed.

“How will she get access to them?”

“The company has their ways.” She said “But, as I was saying, we have to get you some clothes. Would you like to go to the mall?”

“Of course!”

“Well, Elliot will have to take you. I have book club. Is that alright?” it seemed like she was asking Elliot more than she was asking me.

“Yes.” Both Elliot and I said in unison.

“Alright, well off you go! Here’s some money,” she said as she handed a large sum of money to Elliot, along with a credit card. “And Farah, sweetie, we’ll explain your cover story of why you’re here when you come back from the mall. Have a nice time!”

And with that, Marian walked away. I looked at Elliot.

“Looks like it’s just you and me.” I said and smiled.

“Looks like it is.” He laughed “Now let’s get going.”

We walked out of the room, and my jaw nearly dropped. There was one large staircase with a banister that was just begging me to slide down it. The hallway that I stood in seemed to have an endless amount of doors. Above the staircase there was a huge chandelier with sparkling crystals, and it all seemed so regal. This was unreal. Elliot noticed my gawking, and laughed.

“Do you like it?” he asked and continued to walk over to the banister.

“Are you kidding? It’s amazing! And this is just the upstairs?”

“Yeah, wait until you see downstairs. But, I’ll give you the tour when we get back. It’s already 4:00, so we should get going.” And he turned and started going down the stairs.

I started walking over to the stairs, and Elliot called back “You can slide down the banister if you like.”

“You read my mind, Elliot.” I replied as I jumped on. I sped by Elliot, and even though he was on his way down before me, I beat him to the bottom.

“Hey, I have to grab the keys. Go on to the car. It’s the black escalade.”

“Okay.” I said.

These people were loaded, and I got to live with them. So far, this time traveling trip was coming along fantastic.

And then, I saw them.

Alex, Rian, and Jack were walking in a group, and Zack was on his skateboard doing some tricks. My heart was racing; I couldn’t believe that my favorite band was walking down the street right in front of me. They all looked so different from what they do in 2010, but were still easily recognizable from the pictures I had seen of their past. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched them.

Zack saw me and attempted to do a cool trick, but it didn’t work out. I giggled as he fumbled over his skateboard, embarrassed.

“WOOOW Zack! You SUCK!” Alex yelled.

“Shut up” I could hear him say. He turned red and attempted to hide behind is messy black hair as he continued rolling away. Alex looked over at me.

“Hey!” he shouted to me, and my legs became weak.

A squeaky “Hi!” was all I managed to choke out, and he smiled.

Jack and Rian ran away, and Alex looked to where they were going.

“Shit!” he yelled, and took off. I watched him run down the street until he was out of sight. I sighed and continued to the car. I wonder what happened.

Elliot came out soon after, and we went to the mall. Elliot urged me to get as much as I wanted and I reluctantly did what I was told. I felt bad having these people spend their money on me when they barely knew me.
After purchasing a whole new wardrobe, Elliot and I returned home. As soon as I walked in the door, I was sat down on the couch and was told my cover story.
“You’re a girl from Massachusetts whose parent’s moved to England for a job. You didn’t want to leave America, so you came here to live with your aunt and uncle, which would be Elliot and I.” Marian explained.

“That sounds good, shorter than I had expected honestly.” I said, and yawned. It was only 8:00, but I was so tired. “I’m going to go to bed. Thanks for everything.”

“You’re welcome, and goodnight!”

I walked up the stairs and went into my room. I didn’t even bother changing into the new pajamas I bought, or getting under the sheets and comforter. I just lie down on the bed and fell asleep immediately.