Don't Let This Memory Fade Away

Chapter Four

Alex and I walked in silence for what seemed like forever, but in reality it was only ten minutes. He took initiative and broke the tension with a question.

“So, you’re different than most girls I know,” he said “you’re not… I don’t know…”

“Easy?” I finished for him.

“Yes, and no. I just don’t know how to put it…”

“Eh, maybe it’s a Massachusetts thing.”

“You’re from Massachusetts?” He asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Yes…”

“Are you a Red Sox fan?”

“Of course!” I replied matter-of-factly.

“When was the last time they won a World Series…? Eighty-something years ago…?”

I opened my mouth to correct him, but shut my mouth quickly. It’s 2003. They hadn’t yet won the Series.

“They’re gonna break the curse, don’t worry.”

“Sure they will.” He replied in a sarcastic tone with an added roll of the eyes.

All I could do was smile. He was so oblivious.

After another ten minutes or so, we got to Zack’s house. It looked like everything was already set up.

“Alexander William!” yelled a thin woman coming across the lawn “We could have really used your help!”

“Sorry, Mrs. Merrick.” He mumbled and looked towards the ground, avoiding eye contact at all costs.

“You better be!” she snapped back, then turned to me “Hello sweetie, who are you?”

I opened my mouth to talk, but Alex answered for me.

“This is Farah. She just moved here from Massachusetts to live with her aunt and uncle, Elliot and Marian.”

“The Douglas’? Oh, they’re wonderful people.”

“Yeah, they are.” I said smiling “It’s very nice to meet you.”

“It’s nice to meet you too! Now why don’t you go in the house, I have to talk to this one.” She said as she shot Alex a disappointed look.

I began to walk away and managed to catch a bit of the conversation.

“Is she another one of /those/ girls Alexander?”

“No! She’s not like that!”

Well it looks like Mr. Gaskarth has quite the reputation with the female human population. Not surprising in the least bit. I laughed to myself as I entered the house. Jack was the first to scope me out and rushed to my side.

“Hey!” he said, smiling from ear to ear.

“Hey, Jack. Sorry you couldn’t stay!” I said sympathetically.

“It’s fine… I guess… well it depends.”

“On what?”

“If you guys did anything.”

“Oh, no,” I laughed “He tried to, but I shut him down.”

This made Jack smile. “I think you’re the first girl that has.”

“Well, I barely know him. I’m not that kind of person.”

“Well, I can see why he would want to get with you. I mean your eyes are nice... and pretty… and—”

“Ah yes, my /eyes/.” I joked.

He turned bright red and looked at his feet. “Shut up.” he mumbled. I laughed at his child-like behavior.

“It’s okay, Jack. I’m glad you like my boobs.”

He laughed a little, becoming more comfortable. I suddenly felt the uncontrollable urge to hug him. I gave into the temptation without any hesitation. He was so awkwardly adorable, how could anyone not want to hug him?

I could tell he was sort of surprised by the hug, since it took him a few seconds to hug me back. He pulled away, though, almost immediately. I turned around to see Alex glaring at him.

“I gotta go…” Jack said quickly and tried to get away, but I grabbed his wrist.

“No, you don’t.” I said firmly. I pulled him with me as I went up to Alex, with much resistance on his end.

“Aw, do you want a hug too?” I cooed. He just stood there, clearly not liking the situation. I hugged him regardless. He hugged me back, and I smiled. He smelt so good, like fresh laundry and a light hint of Axe. I really liked the feeling of our bodies together; they fit perfectly.

I pulled away and looked into his eyes. Why didn’t I kiss him?

“Hey, Jack, can I talk to you for a minute?” He said, turning away from me and walking into another room. Jack followed him. I knew it was wrong, but I had to listen.

“Don’t go near her, okay?” I heard Alex say.

“Why not?” Jack replied, clearly confused.

“Because, I have dibs. And she’s different, and I like that, so just back off.”

“Are you serious dude? You can’t call dibs on girls.”

“I just did.”

“Well, tell me this, Gaskarth,” Jack seethed, “Why the fuck do you always get all the girls you want, but I get jack shit? All because you fucking want them, I can’t go near them. Seriously, what kind of best friend are you?”

“Well, maybe you should call dibs, bro.”

I couldn’t believe him. I felt so bad for Jack; Alex was being such a douche to him.

“At least I actually give a damn about a girl, unlike you. You fucking use them to get what you want. You’re a fucking asshole.”

I heard a large thud immediately after. I ran into the room to find that Alex had tackled Jack to the ground.

“I’m not a fucking asshole! I care about her, stop being a jealous pussy!” he yelled at Jack.

They were rolling around on the floor while Jack tried to prevent Alex from hitting him.

“Alex, get off me!”

“Guys! Stop it!” I yelled, but Alex didn’t listen. Jack looked at me desperately.

“Stop!” I yelled even louder this time, but Alex kept on swinging at Jack’s ribs.

“That’s it.” I mumbled and kicked Alex in the ass.

“Ow!” He yelped and rolled over. Jack scurried to get up and stood behind me.

“Well if you stopped being an idiot I wouldn’t have had to do that.”

By now, people were crowding in the doorway to see what was going on.

I turned red at the sight of the strangers around me. “Hi.” I whispered, my anger slipping away quickly only to be replaced by embarrassment. They gave me a strange look. This was not the first impression I would like to make; a screaming teenage girl who kicks boys in their asses.

“What’s going on in here?” Mrs. Merrick shouted as she pushed through the small crowd. I just shook my head and walked away. I did not want to be any further involved in this situation.

As I exited the room, my phone started vibrating.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, Farah, it’s Elliot. Marian just got home with your surprise. Do you want me to come get you?”

“Yes please.” I said “It’s a pretty long walk.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a little bit.”

I hung up the phone and took a look around. There was a small couch in this room, and with my feet hurting in these knew shoes after the long walk, I plopped down on it excitedly. I tapped my foot as I waited for a few minutes, and then pulled out my phone.

Victory! It had Snake. I played as I waited for Elliot to arrive. In no time, I heard the honk from out front.

“You have to leave?” Zack asked as I got up.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” I frowned “Marian got a surprise for me, so I have to go.”

“I wish you could stay.” He said.

“I wish I could too. But you’ll see me in school Monday!”

“Yeah. Well, thanks for coming.” He smiled sheepishly.

“Thanks for having me. Bye, Zack!” I started to walk away, but he stopped me.

“Here’s my number. Text me or call me. Whatever.” He said.

“I will!” I replied as I took the piece of paper from his hand.

I walked up the steps and back into the foyer, where Alex, Jack, and Rian were talking.

“Bye guys.” I said and hugged each of them.

“Aw, why are you going?” Jack asked.

“Elliot and Marian have a surprise for me. Elliot’s here now, so I have to go. See you Monday!” With a quick smile and a sad glance from Jack, I walked out the door.

The ride home was silent and uncomfortable. As soon as the car stopped I jumped out and ran up to the door. When I opened it, I saw a little puppy with a bow around its neck running towards me.

“Awe!” I exclaimed as I picked it up. There was a tag along with the bow. I read it out loud.

“To Farah. Welcome! Love - Marian and Elliot.”

I looked up to see Marian and Elliot looking at me, smiling.

“Thank you so much!” I said as I ran up to hug them both, puppy still in hand. “What breed is he?”

“He’s a corgi.” Marian replied.

“Oh, look at his little legs! He’s precious! Thank you so much, both of you.”

“I’m very glad you like him.” She smiled “What are you going to name him?”

“Hmm… how about Edward.”

“Edward, huh. A strange choice from a girl your age.” Marian said, confused.

“After Edward Rochester, from Jane Eyre. I’m in love with his character.”

“Well, Farah, you seem to be a very mature young lady. Edward is a good name for the little guy.”

I smiled wide and placed Edward on the ground. For the rest of the night, I played with my new puppy. It had only been a day and I had fallen so in love my new life here. I didn’t want to return home.