‹ Prequel: Love Bites

Bittersweet Memories

We Could've Had It All

I woke up in the morning, surprised to be alive. I did come to terms with the fact that Klaus might still be alive and I wasn’t dying. But I still didn’t rule out dying in my sleep last night. I had a bunch of missed calls from my father and mother, they're gonna be pissed when they find out I'm still in town. I got out of bed and tried to put the loss of Klaus out of my mind. I quickly got dressed and then grabbed my phone to give Caroline a call.

"Savannah?" She answered. "Oh thank god!"

"It looks like we're both still alive." I said. "I don't know how or why, but we are."

"We're in danger. My mom got arrested this morning, we need to leave town."

"It's not safe in Mystic Falls for us anymore." I said.

"Got a plan?"

"I don't know. Let's just meet on the town boarder and get the fuck out of here." I said, glancing at my phone at the next call coming through. "My dad's calling me again. I have to answer it. Meet me in 10 minutes!"

When I clicked over to the next line, I didn't even get a chance to say anything before he started talking. "Savannah, tell me you're hours away by now!"

"Um, not exactly.." I answered, bracing myself for the worse.

"I thought you left last night! Why are you still in town? The council arrested me this morning and they're looking for you, Caroline, and Tyler!"

"Something happened last night with-"

"No time to explain, kid." Dad said. "Get the hell out of Mystic Falls right now, understand?"

"Yes, I understand. I'm leaving right now." I said as I grabbed my keys.

"Don't worry about Caroline, you need to protect yourself. Go. Now."

I hung up the phone with dad and ran down the stairs. I was leaving town, but I couldn't leave without Caroline. I ran out the door and I was grabbed by two men, shit. Before I could fend them off, I was stuck in the neck with a needle.

Image

When I woke up, I felt the same pain I felt when I was locked in Alaric's classroom with him. My eyes fully opened and I realized I was tied up with ropes soaked in vervain. I'm so stupid, I shouldn't of came back last night. I didn't die last night, but I'm definitely going to now. I looked to my left and Rebekah was just waking up.

"What happened?" She asked, struggling with the ropes

"They're soaked in vervain, don't struggle, Bex." I said. "The council took us, where is Elijah?"

"He left earlier this morning, trying to figure out what happened to Nik. Where are they taking us?"

"I don't know. To die."

"What the hell do they think they're gonna do with me? They can't kill me." Rebekah said. "How do we get out of here?"

"Well I'm open to suggestions if you have any, because I don't-"

I was stopped mid sentence when the van that was carrying us crashed, turning over on it's side. "What the hell was that?!" Rebekah screamed.

Maybe this is their grand finale, this is how they kill us. The doors of the van came off one by one and then he appeared. Tyler.

"Tyler?!" I screamed. "You're alive?! Oh my god! But how!?"

"I guess I have a hard time staying down." He smirked as he untied me. I started to cry out of happiness. I couldn't believe it. "Come on, we gotta get you safe!"

"What about Rebekah?!" I asked but he ignored me, whisking me away and into the woods. We stopped when we felt it was safe. I was sure nobody knew where we were. "Oh my god, Tyler! I thought I'd never see you again. I was broken when Caroline told me you were dead, I finally knew how you felt when I faked my death. I am so sorry! Have you seen Caroline? We have to go find her!”

"It's all in the past now, love." Tyler said before going in for a kiss.

As soon as his lips connected with mine, I pushed him off me and my fist connected with his mouth. "What the fuck, Tyler?! I'm glad we're both not dead, but that was uncalled for!"

"Listen, relax-"

"I will not relax!" I yelled. "Caroline is so upset right now because she thinks you're dead and you have the nerve to kiss me! I just lost Klaus! That probably makes you happy, but I'm completely-"

He pushed me against a tree branched and lifted my chin a bit. "Caroline? But you're the only girl for me, love."

My mouth dropped when he said that, then he gave me that smirk I knew all too well. "Nik? Is that you?!"

He smiled at me and wrapped his arms around me. "It's me, love."

"Oh my god! I thought I'd never see you again, I thought-" I stopped mid sentence only to push him away and punch him in the face yet again. "What the fuck did you do with Tyler?! Is he even still alive!"

"He's alive." He assured me. "No worries."

"Put him back, Klaus!" I yelled, hitting him in the shoulder with all my might. "Put him back now!"

"Alright, let's go pay a visit to your witch friend then." He said, offering his hand.

"Ugh." I scoffed. "I refuse to touch you until you're back in your own body."

"Very well, then."

We arrived at the cemetery and went down to one of the tombs where Bonnie was with Jeremy. He was currently scolding her for god knows what.

"Savannah!" Bonnie yelled, running over to me. "You're alive!"

"Yes, I'm alive. Has anybody heard from the others?"

"No." Jeremy said. "I tried calling Stefan, but got nothing."

"Same with Caroline. She said she was on her way out of town." Bonnie added.

"We planned to meet up on the town boarder but I was taken by members of the council." I said. "That's when NOT Tyler saved me. What the hell did you do, Bon?"

"What did I do?" She questioned me. "Everybody is alive! You should be thanking me right now."

"Ladies-" Klaus tried to get a word in.

"You stuck him in Tyler's body!" I said. "Really? Tyler of all people? Caroline and I thought he was dead!"

"He was supposed to jump into another body as soon as he got the chance." Bonnie glared at Klaus. "Then Tyler would of came back."

"I expected my body to be a pile of ash, since it's not, you can put me back now." Klaus said.

"She can't." Jeremy said. "It's not safe for her."

Bonnie turned to me. "I really pissed off the witches on the other side when I tried using dark magic to bring Elena back to life. I've been warned, I can't do it."

"Witch, you're putting me back!" Klaus yelled.

"I can't do it Klaus!"

Klaus was pissed and I could tell he was about to do something that would most likely piss me off. He showed his werewolf claws and ripped his shirt open. He took one look at Bonnie and dug his nails into his chest as hard as he could, screaming out in pain.

"What the hell are you doing?" I asked

"I'm ripping Tyler's heart out!" Klaus yelled as he clawed at his chest once more. "You don't put me back in my body and I kill Tyler!"

I pleaded with him to stop what he was doing but he refused. Bonnie finally agreed to do the dark spell and she put Klaus back in his body. Blood ran down her nose and she nearly passed out in the process. I felt horrible about it, about everything we all put her through. I’m sure the witches on the other side aren’t pleased with her, either. She’s gonna have to pay eventually for all the boundaries she crosses when she helps us.

"Tyler?" I questioned the body standing in front of me, unsure if the spell worked.

"Savannah!" Tyler ran to me and gave me a hug. "That was awkward to watch."

"What was awkward?" I asked.

"Watching Klaus kiss you in my body." He laughed. "Kind of like old times, huh?"

"Oh god!" I rolled my eyes. “We have to find Caroline.”

“I bet she was taken by the council.” Jeremy says.

“Jeremy!” I yelled. “You’re not helping.”

“But he’s right.” Bonnie said. “They tried to take you, they took Rebekah.”

“I haven’t been able to get a hold of Elena or Stefan all morning. I know Elena isn’t in a good state right now, but Stefan would of answered me by now.” Jeremy said. “I think they took them, too.”

“There’s no way the council was able to take Stefan. He’s smarter than that.” I said.

“Really?” Tyler questioned. “They caught you off guard, it could of happened to him too. Shit, they clearly took Rebekah! If they can take down Rebekah, they can take down any of us.”

“Maybe not you, my Hybrid friend.” I said. “Any ideas?”

“Let’s go to my moms, maybe she can give us some insight on what happened with the council. We’ll go from there.”

“Savannah, before you go…” Jeremy said, stopping me as we started to leave. “I know you loathe my sister, and I guess you have every reason to, ya know? Just…if she— If you find her, please-“

“Jeremy.” I stopped him, placing a hand on his shoulder. I didn’t know how I was feeling about Elena these days, but I knew how I felt when I saw her laying on that slab, helpless. Not breathing. It really hit me. “If we find them, I won’t help Caroline without helping Elena. That’s a promise.”

“Thank you.”

After that, Tyler and I took off to his mothers house. When we got there, she was crying. When she saw Tyler, she cried even harder, realizing that he was okay. It took a while for her to settle down, I just patiently sat on the couch, waiting for her to stop. Tyler gave me a sympathetic look, sorry for his mothers actions. I didn’t blame her though, I know my mother would do the same to me.

“I thought you were relieved! I’m alive and you’re nowhere to be found. Where are you?” I received a text from Klaus. Oh, he sure isn’t going to like this.

“I’m very relieved you’re alive. But I have to take care of some things.” I sent him a message back.

“What’s more important than finishing what we started in the woods?” Another text.

“Caroline. I’m sure the council took her and I’m not stopping until I get her back.”

“Ugh. Fine. Do you need assistance?”

“No. Tyler and I have this under control.”

Of course Klaus wasn’t pleased I was spending time with Tyler. Even if it was to rescue my best friend and his girlfriend. I told him he’d just have to deal with it though, and this was his payback for taking control of Tyler’s body in the first place. When Carol was finally ready to talk, she took a seat on the chair opposite of the couch Tyler and I sat on. At first she just stared at us, giving us this weird smile. It was a bit unsettling.

“Mom, are you okay?” Ty asked.

“I know this isn’t the time.” She said. “I just can’t get over how the two of you look, sitting on that couch together.”

“Mom, come on, stop.” Tyler said.

“Mrs. Lockwood, it’s not gonna happen-“

“Oh, just let me speak!” She insisted. “Caroline…even though I never thought she was good enough for my son, I am starting to warm up to her. But the two of you, that’s a different story. If there’s any girl out there who is the one for my son, it’s you, Savannah. Your mother and I, we really did envision the two of you married one day, with a couple of babies. It wasn’t just about our families merging, after a while, we really did believe the two of you were great for each other.”

Tyler looked at me with sympathy, for his mother putting me through this. I looked back at her and gave her a smile, she’s had a rough couple of days. “Mrs. Lockwood, sometimes dreams change. People change… Tyler and I are great friends now, and that’s saying a lot given our history.”

“She’s right.” Tyler said. “Dreams aren’t always meant to come true. But mom, we really need to know everything about what happened with the council.”

Carol went on to tell us everything. When Alaric outed us all to the council, that opened up a new can of worms. Our parents were in fact arrested and they were asked to step down from their positions on the council. She said Pastor Young, also of the council, took the lead. He shamed our parents and vowed to get rid of their children and any other supernatural beings in Mystic Falls. She gave us all the information she had on Pastor Young, so we figured we’d start looking around his house, the church, and any other properties he may own.

“I’m sorry about my mom.” Tyler said as we walked through the woods. “I don’t know where the hell that came from.”

“A lot has happened recently, maybe she just wanted to escape to happier times.” I said. “It’s okay.”

“Happier times?” He laughed. “You think we would of really gotten married one day? You know, if I hadn’t been such a jerk.”

“Come on, Ty. We had way more good times than bad.” I smiled. “As for marriage? I guess we’ll never know.”

“I wanted you back.” He said, making me stop in my tracks. “After the whole Vicki thing, I realized the mistake I made. I promised myself, if you took me back, I’d do right by you. Then you started seeing Damon Salvatore and I knew nothing I said would of made a difference to you.”

I was a little shocked by his words. He’s told me a lot of things since the start of our post-breakup friendship, but never that. I didn’t know what to think or say. “I was a very stupid girl when I met Damon Salvatore.”

“If you say you were stupid when we met, what does that say about me?” I knew the voice behind me belonged to Damon, but Tyler and I still went in defense mode real quick. “Easy! Easy!”

“What the hell are you doing here?” I asked him, turning to acknowledge Matt with him. “And with Matt? Why are you here?”

“We’re coming to save Elena and Stefan. Why are you here?” Damon questioned, looking back and forth at Tyler and I.

“We’re here for the two blondes.” I said.

“Unless you’re here to help, step aside.” Tyler said.

“I find it a little odd that you two are here together. You know….given Tyler’s history with your boyfriend.”

“You know what I find odd?” I laughed. “Given Tyler’s history with Klaus, he still hates you more.”

“I don’t even see how that’s possible.” Damon smirked as Tyler approached him.

“That’s right, Salvatore.” He said. “You either help or step aside.”

“Guys, we can all fight later.” Matt stopped us. “Can we just go in there and do what we came to do?”

“What are you even doing here?” I questioned him. “How on earth do you plan on helping?”

“Survivors guilt.” Damon smirked. “As far as I’m concerned, he’s living on borrowed time.”

“I was gonna tell you not to lay a hand on Matt..” I said. “But I know Elena will take care of that for the both of us. On the off chance that she doesn’t, trust me, you touch him and you’re gonna have to deal with me.”

“Guys…” Matt said again. “Let’s go.”

It was literally a piece of cake. The officers guarding the place outside didn’t see us coming. We took them down with ease, snapping their necks. Once inside, it was a bit more tricky. The officers inside were aware we were there after we killed the others. We opened the doors and were immediately shot at. I pushed Matt out of the way and took a bullet in the stomach.

“Best you sit this one out, Matty.” I said, wincing in a bit of pain.

“Seriously, Savannah?” Damon asked as he started to charge at another officer. “He clearly had that one coming!”

“Shut up, Damon!” I yelled before being shot again. It only pissed me off even more. We saw the cells our friends were being kept in. We were so close. They all looked messed up, but Elena looked the worst. I take it she hasn’t gotten a chance to complete the transition. I yelled at the officer who shot me. “You stupid, stupid man.”

A launched myself at him, attacking his neck. His blood surprisingly vervain free. He fell to the ground by Elena’s cell when I was done with him. I looked over and she was inching towards the blood. I almost wanted to help her, but the three of us had to finish the rest of the officers off before we were in the clear. Once we took them all out, I rushed to Rebekah’s cell, knowing Tyler would take care of Caroline. I let her free and helped her up.

“Well, it’s about time, love.” She coughed.

“Sorry I took so long, Bex. it’s been a long day.”

“How did you guys find us?” Caroline asked as she held onto Tyler. Not sure what was happening, but I felt awkward looking at the two of them. Guilty almost.

Tyler looked over at me and offered a smile. “We make a pretty great team.”

More awkwardness. I gave Caroline a small smile before looking over at Elena and Stefan, and Damon looking at them. That’s a bunch of bullshit I want no part of. “Come on, Bex.” I said. “Let’s get you the hell out of here.”

Image

I didn’t return home with her, instead I went to my fathers. I told Klaus and he understood, I really just needed to be with my family. My father wasn’t very happy with me still being in Mystic Falls, but he was happy to see me alive and well. ‘I don’t think I’m leaving Mystic Falls anytime soon.’ I told him. I wasn’t sure when or why I made that decision, but I decided this was the place I needed to be right now. I haven’t told Klaus yet, in fact, I haven’t seen him since he was in Tyler’s body. I’m not sure if he’ll like my decision, but I don’t think he can change my mind either.

I spent some time talking with my parents, mom came right over when I told her where I was. When she left though, and everyone headed to bed, that left me downstairs alone with Rachel. I had a bottle of liquor in hand and poured myself a drink as we talked.

“I’m glad you’re not dead.” She said nonchalantly.

“I’m honestly surprised I’m not.” I laughed, downing my drink. “It’s been a rough week.”

“Well what don’t I know?”

I figured I’d give her a quick run through. “Let’s see, fighting with Damon, feeling sorry for Damon. Almost being killed by vampire hunter Alaric, having a huge blowout with Elena. Thinking Klaus is dead, thinking I’m going to die myself. Damon and I coming to terms with our feelings for each other. Thinking Tyler died. Elena actually dying and becoming a vampire, being hunted by the council, some weird, inexplicable thing between Tyler and I. Oh yeah, did I mention fighting with Damon?”

“Wow!” Rachel said. “At least you can say there’s never a dull moment in your life.”

“I long for the dull moments.” I said, pouring myself another drink. “This is exactly where I need to be.”

“Back up, what happened with Tyler?”

“What? Oh, it was nothing. It was stupid.” I said.

“The fact that you’re not telling me, makes me think its pretty juicy.” She said. “Spill.”

“His mother was saying some crap about how our parents wanted us to get married back when we dated. Then we joked about it, wondering if it would of actually happened had we stayed together.” I said. “Then he drops this fucking bomb on me about how he was gonna try to get me back but I started dating Damon.”

“HOLY SHIT!” Rachel said, she was eating this all up. “And now you’re totally thinking about how life would be if you were with Tyler. You feel guilty because he’s with your best friend now.”

“I mean… how can I not think about it?” I said. “I’m not saying my dumb ass would of picked him over Damon, I probably wouldn’t of. But the possibilities… Anyway, it was a stupid thought.”

“And Damon? What about him?”

“Long story short, we talked about our feelings. How sorry we were, how we loved each other. Mind you, we both thought Klaus was dead and we were next. Then later on, in person, he told me he was in love with me. But you know, we were back at it again today with the fighting.”

“and Klaus?”

“I’m not leaving Mystic Falls, at least not yet. I feel like I need to be here and I hope he can understand that.”

“You have a lot of men in your life, it must be exhausting.” Rachel said.

“Enough about me. What about you? What’s going on with Kol?”

“Things have been moving slowly, given everything that’s happened with Klaus.” She said. “But I think we really like each other.”

“Just be careful.” I told her. “I do like Kol. but we know what happened with your last vampire boyfriend.”

“I promise I won’t turn into one.”

“Good, because I don’t think I can take much more.”