Status: Active

She's Not Afraid

I Thought You Were Gone

It had been a week since moving to Holmes Chapel and though nothing exciting ever happened, I was finding myself in a bubble of bliss with the peace the place had to offer. Everyday while Riana was at work, I would head down to the bakery and stay there for hours: reading a book, writing my college entry essay, whatever it was I needed to get done. At home it was too distracting with my little brother Dylan running all over the place, pestering me with a billion questions and then some. The best part of it all was that annoying curly haired booger wasn't here, I figured he must have quit, or gotten fired. So as you see, the bakery was my place of escape. I would have headed down to the nice little park, but today was a bit too chilly to be outside.

I had gotten to the bakery minutes after it had opened, spotting Simon -the owner of the bakery- making his way over to me.

"Seems to me you really enjoy the place." He smiled, beginning to clean a table next to me.

"I do, it's really peaceful and clean. Not to mention the delicious treats you have to offer, I can't ask for more."

We shared a chuckle. "If you love the place so much, why don't you come work for me? I wouldn't mind the extra help, and knowing just how much you love the place would put my mind at ease whenever I'm out. You seem trustworthy, and very responsible."

I felt my mouth drop open as my eyes stared at him in shock. "Really?! You're offering me a job?!" I asked getting too excited.

"Why not?"

"Oh my God, yes! I'd love to work here. Thank you Simon, it means so much to me." I beamed, reaching out to hug him.

"It's no problem kid, would you like to start now? Sandy called out so I'm afraid I'm short staff."

"I'd love to, yeah!" I obliged. With college starting soon, the extra money was going to be very helpful.

He handed over several papers to fill out while he began to set up for the day. I took no longer than ten minutes before handing them over.

He took some time to show me around, telling me how the till worked and where everything was. When we both felt I was prepared, I placed my belongings in the back room and took my place up front.

Not a minute passed by before an elderly woman came in, placing her order for me to take. I couldn't help but feel giddy, this was my first customer. When I handed over her bag and thanked her for her business, the door opened making me look up.

The person smiling at me from the doorway took away all the happiness from my body, annoyance taking over instead. "Charlotte? What are you doing here?" That stupid voice asked as his body sauntered over, leaning on the counter with his elbow placed on top.

I gripped the edge for support, afraid I'd reach out to smack him if I didn't. "I work here." I answered, my voice strained.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise, quickly recovering as realisation took over his face. I sighed, rolling my eyes when I already knew what he was thinking. "No, I did not take this job for you. In fact, I took it because I thought you left for good, clearly I was wrong."

"I only work here on Saturdays, love."

"Well that's one day too long." I snapped, turning around to fix the display case full of cupcakes; anything to not face him.

I heard his low obnoxious chuckle before he came around and took his place up front beside me. "I think you better change your attitude, if we're going to be partners and all."

"We are not partners." I clarified. "We merely work at the same place. You stay on your till, and I'll stay on mine. Got it?"

He frowned. "I don't get why you don't like me so much."

"Try the fact that you're an arrogant twat who managed to get under my skin faster than anyone else has."

He looked almost hurt as I spat the words in a low tone, afraid Simon would overhear. He shook his head, smiling as a small sigh escaped his lips. "I'm sorry you see me that way." Was all he left me with before turning to head to the back.

I bit my lip, a tinge of guilt forming in my stomach. Maybe I was a little harsh to someone I didn't even know, but as a woman came into the shop, I was forced away from those thoughts. Besides, he deserved it right? He was overly confident when he met me, playing this game he probably played a thousand times before. I refused to play, to let him win and think he could get his way just because his looks.

The rest of the day, he seemed to finally accept I wasn't into him. He stood on his side and I stood on mine, occasionally bumping into each other whenever fetching a cup of tea or coffee. When the clock hit seven, I began to clean up in the kitchen.

As I idly wiped down the counter, I quietly sang to myself to fill in the silence that was left behind from Simon heading home and Harry closing the shop out front. Thoughts from our encounter before still had been bugging me all day. It was as if what Riana said were true, he was nice once you got know him. I mean no, I didn't know him but judging from his reaction to my words, you could tell. A real arrogant twat would dismiss my words like nothing, not feel hurt by them.

Finishing up, I turned around and gasped in fright when I found Harry leaning in the doorway, staring at me with amazement.

"What?" I asked annoyed with the look he was given me. Okay, maybe I wasn't that annoyed but I couldn't let him know I still felt guilty for being rude earlier.

"I didn't know you could sing." He replied, amazement in his tone.

"Well yeah I do. Next time, I'd like for you to tell me when you're going to creep up on me." I responded, a little harsh because he heard me sing.

All these years I kept my voice hidden from everyone, it was suppose to be my own little secret. Then comes this, whatever he was, and ruins it. I never allowed for anyone to hear me sing for the simple fact that I didn't want them to know; that and because I was terrified to sing aloud to someone other than myself. It was weird, I know, but that's just how it was.

When I sang, I was able to be me. The me without any attitude or problems, it was my escape. If I let people in then...it just wouldn't feel right. I stared at him as he stared back, unsure of what to say.

"I don't like people listening to me sing." I answered his thoughts.

"Why not? You sound l-"

I raised my hand to stop him. "Just don't." I sighed, grabbing my bag to head home. I tried to walk past him but he stopped me, holding my arm and forcing me to look up into his green eyes.

"I mean it. You should embrace your talent."

And for the first time since I met him last week...I felt a tiny fragment of liking towards him. Just a tiny one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Charlotte's Outfit: http://clothia.com/look/16132/charlotte-three

Would appreciate your feedback, don't stay quiet!! :)