Status: Complete

Jeah, Whatever

[twenty.two]

[Ryan]

I put the last finishing touches on my tux as I waiting in the grand ballroom for the small wedding to start.

No photographers knew about it, no press, only our best friends and family.

Conor and Cullen stood next to me as I looked at my tie to make sure it was even. Devon and Nathan were trying to tie their own ties. I looked at the scene.

I would have my four best friends standing up there next to me. Natalie would have her sister and best friend next to her. It was an uneven bridal party but we were a crazy couple and our party showed it.

The guys wore pale blue vests and ties that matched the girls shoes while I wore all white to match my bride. Andrea swore that standing next to them though brought out my eyes and this was a great thing.

“Dude, you’re so calm,” Conor pointed out.

“I’m marrying my best friend,” I patted his shoulder.

And it was true. I was calm and I was marrying my best friend.

Natalie and I have gone through the games, jealousy, lust and desire. We have worked through living states away and busy schedules. We worked through stupid mistakes with others and a miscarriage. Looking now, there is nothing that we could not work through. It only made sense to now be married, proving more there was no one else for us.

We heard a knock at the door and my mom came in with my sister Kristin.

“Ryan, you look so handsome,” my mother smiled, kissing my cheek.

“Thank you, where’s Megan and Brandon?” I asked.

“Megan is watching all the little ones and Brandon is with your father out there,” my mom told me.

“Ryan, your bride, she looks breathtaking,” Kristen said pulling me into a hug. It made me happy to hear she thought that after disliking her up until recently.

“She always will be,” I smiled.

“We have a little something for you, from Natalie’s family” my mom said, handing me a box. I opened it and saw that it was a collection of things.

“We gave Natalie something very special of yours and her parents wanted to do the same. They’d be in here now but her father and mother wanted a few more moments with her before she would no longer hold their name,” my mom explained. I nodded understanding that for them, this meant letting their daughter go.

Like my family, since everything went bad, her family has also been very receiving. And Natalie would always be their little girl but not like she once was.

The box contained a picture of Natalie as a young girl, maybe ten in a ballerina leo and tutu, her hair was in a high bun and she wore stage makeup. She was grinning widely as her little sister stuck her tongue out, pulling her mouth apart with her fingers. The box had Natalie’s senior portrait and a shot from her graduating from Yale.

In the box, there were more photos and things that were very important in Natalie’s upbringing. There was her first locket and first strand of pearls but there was also something else. Natalie’s parents had placed a check in the box for over 4 million dollars. In it was a note simply saying “we trust you with our daughter” from them both attached to the check. I looked up at my mom stunned.

“What is it naked pics?” Conor asked looking at my face curiously.

“I just got their respect,” I said to everyone shocked.

It wasn’t that we needed the money because between the two of us, we were more than set to live the elite life she always lived but it was the fact that her parents trusted me enough to give us her dowry.

“What’s a dowry?” My brother asked, not looking at the actual check amount but seeing the memo.

“A very old thing, southern families and europeans still do it, it’s like start up money for newlyweds now a days, it use to be the amount the father would give the family,” my mom tried to explain. I put everything back in the box and cleared my throat.

“I believe my bride awaits,” I said, now more than ready knowing that I had her parents on our side too.

We all walked down the aisle and I saw the small crowd. Natalie’s family was full of class and southern ladies with their respective husbands. I saw a few friends of hers from work and Yale. On my side I saw Michael and the swimmers from London with my coach and the rest of my family.

They were not as pristine as Natalie’s.

I stood in the center as my brother stood right next to me, resting a hand on my shoulder. Natalie’s mother came down the aisle to a song of class and elegance. She came up and gave me two kisses before taking her seat. Next Kate walked down the aisle. Her flare was noticeable and she stared at a guy as she made her way down, full of confidence. Andrea came down the aisle next, looking at Nathan, trying not to laugh.

I loved that they could just be with each other with no reservations.

The audience rose as a song I had heard Natalie play before begin to play. It was Proof by the band Coldplay. I saw Natalie walk in with her father and was taken aback.

Her face was covered by the veil she wore as her dress flowed down the aisle, leaving me guessing from afar just how beautiful she really was. Natalie looked at me and smiled the whole time, I know I looked goofy with how happy I was. I couldn’t wait for her to get down next to me at the alter.

The song played, as the lyrics rang out “In you I find proof.” It was perfect. Natalie was my proof that love wasn’t just a game and I could be happy. She was my proof that love was real and I could actually be in a relationship with someone.

As she came down the aisle, her father gave me her hand and she mouthed an “I love you” to me. I couldn’t take my eyes off her, I was mesmerized at the fact that I would be spending the rest of my life with this girl.

This girl that teased me and played with me. This girl who let her heart be open with me and was not afraid to back down. This girl who was the classiest and most intelligent girl I have ever known but was a girl who knew her way in the bedroom. I was getting the full package.

“You may be seated,” the minister spoke, our small audience took their seats. Natalie handed Andrea her bouquet and put both her hands in mine.

“Can I take her veil off?” I asked the minister in a low voice. He chuckled as did my brother next to me.

“Not yet,” he smiled at me. I didn’t know how weddings worked fully. We never rehearsed this. And I just wanted to take all of Natalie in that I could.

“Today we are gathered to see two flesh become one. As Ryan and Natalie come together, they will share allowed and profess to the world how they feel about each other,” the minister spoke and looked to me. I guess it was my turn to say something.

“Dude, tell Natalie something romantic,” Devon nudged me. I cleared my throat and spoke up.

“Natalie, you know I’m not good with words. You know I don’t tend to be good at making grand gestures and sharing feelings all that well. But with you, I feel like my feelings and my heart are safe. We’ve come so far, I mean, look at us, two people who felt so terrified of even dating and now here we are getting married. You fixed me in my brokenness and you cared for me through it. I love you,” I said simply. I could see her smile and eyes beginning to water.

“Well, I didn’t even know about this wedding until two hours ago,” she said, the audience chuckled for a moment before she continued, “but for months now, I knew that it was you. Before I was convinced I was suppose to live this conventional and elite lifestyle, spending my days in Manhattan, drinking coffee and working my way up corporate but now, I know that was never the life for me. The life I was looking for was found in you. Ryan, you allowed me to be myself for once in my life. I didn’t have to put on a show for you. I am able to laugh at things that aren’t really all that funny, I am able to dress in really anything and you still find me lovely. I am able to cry and show my hurt and my heart and you don’t run. Neither of us are really all that good at being humble or showing our feelings but with you, I can. You truly complete me and now forever, I am yours,” she said. I tried not to look choked up but I felt the small lump in my throat.

“And now the rings, showing the symbol of eternity,” the minister said, Devon handed me a small silver band to place on Natalie’s left finger.

I repeated what the minister said:

“I Ryan Steven Lochte, take you Natalie Jayne Crenshaw to be my wife, to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, to comfort and care for as long as we both shall live,” I said piece by piece, slipping the ring on her finger.

Andrea handed Natalie the ring and she cleared her throat.

“I Natalie Jayne Crenshaw, take you Ryan Steven Lochte to be my husband, to have and to hold, to love and to cherish, to comfort and care for as long as we both shall live,” she smiled, placing the silver band on my left finger. It didn’t feel out of place, it felt right.

“And now, by the power vested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife. Ryan, you can take the veil off now,” the minister laughed and so did my brother.

I took the delicate lace into my hands and slowly lifted it over Natalie’s head. I saw all of her face clearly and gasped at just how gorgeous she really was, I was seeing her in a brand new light.

I took her hands into my face and kissed her warmly on the lips, she threw her arms around my neck and kissed me back.

The music began to play, it was Bruno Mars, “I Think I Want to Marry You” I took Natalie’s hand in mine and Andrea handed her bouquet back.

“Let’s go,” I said. She leaned on me as we walked out of the ballroom. Natalie lifted up her dress and led me to the elevator. We went to the penthouse and she threw her arms around me once we got in.

“Ryan, I just want a moment alone with you before it all gets insane,” she said onto my neck.

“We have our whole life,” I said, putting my arms around her waist, taking her scent in.

“I can’t thank you enough for all of this,” she spoke softly. I kissed her shoulder and looked her in the eyes.

“You deserve the world, Natalie,” I assured her. She kissed me softly on the lips.

“I love you, I love all of you, I love everything you do,” she said between kisses. I smiled down at her.

“I love you too, Natalie,” I said. She looked at her wedding band and her engagement ring now on the same finger, she looked at the wedding band on my left hand.

“We’re married,” she smiled. I picked her up and embraced her.

“Come on, we have to take photos and thank our families,” I said, leading her out of the room.

We went back down to the reception area and our photographer was ready to begin taking the photos and different poses. It took forever. until finally us and the wedding party could enter the reception.

We had the reception on a rooftop garden, the weather was at a perfect temperature, it was all so perfect.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you for the first time ever, Ryan and Natalie Lochte!” The DJ shouted.

“Natalie Lochte, I love it,” Natalie smiled as we made our way in.

The DJ began to play our first dance song. It was “Everything” by Michael Buble, a mid speed love song that Andrea picked for us.

“I can tell Andrea picked the music,” Natalie laughed as I tried to move us around the dance floor.

“She said that she knew what she was doing,” I said as I tried to keep some sort of step. Everyone was watching, taking pictures and smiling as we danced.

“She picked good songs, but it’s more my side of taste as opposed to yours,” Natalie sighed. The song faded out and I kissed her on the dancefloor, she took my hand and led me to the DJ.

“We need to make this a party,” she smiled.

Over the PA system, I heard Chris Brown’s “Forever” play, I laughed at her cheesiness.

Natalie dragged me out on the dancefloor and we allowed ourselves to release. To look insanely stupid without caring what others thought. Our friends and family joined us, even Natalie’s parents got a little loose.

It soon became time to do the whole toast and cake thing. Andrea gathered our audience and prepared to speak.

“I’ve known Natalie all of my life. Clearly so because she’s my sister. But she’s more than just that, she’s my best friend. And when we went to London, something happened, we were giggling girls who were looking for fun. Looking for something and Natalie found what she wasn’t looking for, she found hope and she found love. Watching Natalie grow with Ryan in the last nine months has been amazing. She has become sure, she has become steady and she has grown to be even more of my role model than before. She’s quite possibly the strongest person I know. Natalie, l love you, I’m here for you and may your marriage fulfill you more than you may know,” Andrea raised her glass. Natalie leaned on me and I held her close.

“Well, us Lochte men are not known to be good speakers but I’m going to try. Ryan has always been my best friend,” my brother started saying, “we may have fought like all siblings do but he always had my back and I always had his. And when he told me in London that he was hanging out with this girl who was kind of being weird, even there I had his back. Then in Florida, when Natalie came, I had his back some more. But I noticed something, Ryan was different. And it was in a good way. You see, Natalie, just like Ryan gave you what you weren’t looking for, you also gave to Ryan. The man who thought marriage was a joke and women were only out to hurt was now turning into a man who loved one girl and wanted to be with this one girl. I can only hope but one day to become half the man Ryan is and find a woman that is half of what Natalie is. You guys deserve the best. So, I raise this glass to Natalie and Ryan, may they live the lives I know they deserve,” Devon spoke and we clinked our glasses together.

“Ry, we have to link arms,” Natalie stopped me from drinking, linking our arms and drinking from one another. I was very careful not to spill on her.

It was then time for the cake which was actually cupcakes because Andrea said that was “cute” and Natalie seemed to love it.

“Don’t you dare,” Natalie warned, knowing that I would want to put it all over her face.

“Oh come on babe, it’s not so bad,” I smirked. She had her cupcake in hand and brought it up to my face, biting her lower lip. I opened my mouth for her to put it in, thinking that if she would be nice to me, I would be nice back. But that wasn’t what she did, she instead smashed it all over my mouth and nose and rubbing the icing on my cheeks.

It was only right if I did it back so I infact smashed it all over her face. She looked at me and pouted and I gave her an icing filled kiss.

“First fight as a married couple,” Natalie shared to the crowed as they laughed.

We went to the bathroom to clean off our faces. Natalie pinned me against the wall and kissed all the areas on my face that were iced. She pulled away as I began doing the same to her, letting my hands trace up her sides.

“We should get back,” Natalie smiled. I groaned in slight frustration.

“Come on, we have the rest of our lives together,” she promised, I took her hand and led her back to the ballroom where everyone was dancing and having a great time.

The DJ announced that the father would like to dance with the bride and Natalie went to meet her father.

As they danced to the most cliche song ever (Daughters by John Mayer), I watched Natalie, nod at what her father was saying to her and watched their conversation. I knew he was probably talking to her about work and what the next step in life would be. Natalie looked to me and smiled and looked back to her father, laughing at whatever he just said.

“You and Natalie are going to be leaving in like an hour, here are your boarding passes,” Andrea handed me an envelope.

“Where are we going?” I asked. Andrea smiled.

“Somewhere awesome,” she winked before giving me a hug and finding her place with Nathan.

The dance had ended and Natalie joined me once more.

“Can I have this dance, Mrs. Lochte?” I asked her, she scrunched up her nose.

“I sound like your mom when you say that,” she said. I pulled her into my arms as the DJ played “Sweet Pea” by some oldies band.

“Trust me, when I look at you, I do NOT think about my mom,” I grinned she rolled her eyes and looked at me.

“Ryan, in all seriousness, thank you for all of this. It was beautiful, perfect, wonderful, best day of my life,” she smiled.

“Thank you for sticking with me,” I said to her before pulling her into a kiss.

Natalie and I were ready for this. We had come so far. I a player and she someone who was terrified of letting a guy in were now married after only a short nine months of dating. But with her I felt like she was my other half and was the one who made my heart whole. I looked to her and took her hand.

“Come on Natalie, let’s adventure for the rest of our lives,” I smiled at her. She grinned and thought about it for a moment.

“Hm, maybe later,” she sighed before looking at me with a serious face then laughing.

Here’s to forever with the girl who is better than the girl of my dreams. Why is she better? She’s real.
♠ ♠ ♠
Epilogue to come. I also may re-write this chapter as I wrote it through out a couple of days...