Status: Updates every couple of weeks - Thanks for reading everybody!

Chaser of Faith

Human

Remy’s face was twisted in terror as his back hit the ground, sending splatters of blood around him. Adriel had quickly move me back and away from the puddle, and we narrowly avoided getting hit. I gasped, trying to process what just happened.

“Remy!” I squeaked. I ripped Adriel’s hands off of me, jumping towards Remy and extending my hand to him. He stared at me with wide eyes and an open mouth. “Take my hand, Remy, come on.” My skin crawled as I watched the sticky, cold blood seep into his clothes and matte his brown hair. He slowly took my hand and I used both of my hands to pull him up. I dragged him away from the gore. “Adriel, what the hell?” I seethed at him. He crossed his arms and shrugged.

“I didn't do anything.” I ground my teeth together. I slid some of Remy’s hair out of his pale face. His face remained blank, clearly traumatized. I took his hands and squeezed them tightly, trying to meet his gaze.

“Hey Remy, are you okay? Say something,” I pleaded and gulped, trying to focus on anything other than the blood that covered his entire back and the smell of death that choked me. He closed his mouth and his eyes, making a strangled noise that caught in his throat. He took his hand back and waved it in between the two of us. Cal’s body and the blood on the ground disappeared. His ruined, bloody clothes were cleaned. The smell dissipated. I took in a clean, deep breath of air and held onto my arms, gripping tightly.

“Byth Vezhtathiat,” Adriel mumbled behind me.

I saw a dark glint flash in Remy’s eyes as he glared at the angel along the wall. Adriel suddenly cried out and I whipped around to see what he was screaming about. He held onto his shoulder, looking pained. Suddenly his other shoulder was jerked backwards and he cried out again. I stared at him confused.

“Adriel, what’s wrong?” I asked, my voice laced with fear. He ground his teeth together, gripping at something invisible in his arm and yanking it out. He stumbled with the weight he used to pull. He breathed heavily. I walked to him, examining his shoulders. There was nothing. “Remy, what did you do to him?” Adriel pulled the second non-existent weapon from his other shoulder.

“Don’t call me that, you dirty angel,” Remy growled, finally moving towards us. I put my hand on Adriel’s arm, who let out a seething breath.

“He stabbed me,” Adriel told me. There was no blood on his arm, no wound. I spun back to Remy, horrified. Was he just like the others after all?

“It wasn’t real,” Remy mocked.

“Right it’s just a trick, you dishonest piece of trash.” Dishonest? Did Adriel know Remy? Or was he calling him dishonest because of what he was? Were illusionists known for being dishonest? For tricking people?

“Guys, please,” I pleaded. I was struck with exhaustion again. “Please.” I brought my fingers up to my temples, rubbing them and closing my eyes. “We don’t have time for this. We need to get home before-” Suddenly the left side of my cloak was thrown back. I ripped my eyes open again, coming face to face with Adriel, who looked angry and confused.

“Where did you get that?” He asked forcefully. I looked into his eyes, afraid. My mind was blank. I couldn’t think of what to say. Not a single excuse came to mind. I saw flashes of Gage’s illusion- Adriel’s hands assaulting my body and the pain and fear I felt beneath him. I saw myself buying my sword and hiding it. I saw myself hiding the map that Nicholas gave me. How had I been here for only a few days, but still managed to dig myself into such a deep hole of deception and lies?

In Adriel’s eyes I saw something I wasn’t expecting. Beneath the crazed confusion and wrath, I saw that he was hurt. I remembered sitting with him in the field behind the cottage. With all the lies he fed, he also taught me so much about this world. He was trying to help me, in his own way.

“I gave it to her,” Remy said after a pause. Adriel narrowed his eyes, looking back at Remy. He said nothing. He took a step back from me and looked back at me again.

“Where is the angel?” I blinked, my eyes felt dry.

“Rahmiel?” He nodded.

“He’s probably been throwing a fit since I left.” I shrugged, letting out a short nervous sigh.

“I don’t know where he is. He could still be back at the cottage. You missed a lot,” I said, stepping to the side and looking at Remy. “There’s a lot to fill you in on.” I looked back at Adriel again. “But I don’t think you have to worry about him throwing a fit.” He was silent again. “It’s gonna be dark soon. We gotta get out of here.”

I stepped around Adriel and reached for the door knob. My hand was covered with his when I laid it on the brass knob. He was very close to me. His skin was so warm, it sent heat creeping up my arm. I felt my cheeks flush. His face came down to my ear.

“There’s something off about him, Claire. There are no such things as coincidences.” His voice was barely above a whisper. His hot breath tickled my ear. He moved away and I let out a breath I hadn’t realized I had been holding in. I felt a chill run down my spine as his breath displaced my hair, making it fall across my neck. I quickly turned the knob and opened the door. I peeked outside, making sure that there was no one around. The cool evening air felt soothing against my hot cheeks.

“Left,” Adriel whispered.

The alleyway was void of people. It smelled of rot and dirt. Across from me, on the wall, hundreds of little insects crawled in a clump, from the ground to a deep crack in the concrete-like wall of the building that faced us. I fought a shudder of disgust. Adriel put his arms on my own, gently, from behind, pushing me forward. I stayed in the middle of the alley, suddenly very cautious of anymore swarms of creepy crawlies that threatened my comfort.

Adriel took the lead, sneaking around me and starting to move to down the alley. I looked back to the door, finding Remy closing the door behind him. He looked at me, embarrassment flooding his gaze. I turned back to Adriel quickly, following him closely. I didn’t have the energy to talk to Remy about what had happened. I had seen a new side of him- a side that I did not like. My trust in him had wavered.

But he’s human, I found myself thinking. He just got mad for a second. That’s human. The powers that Remy had were dangerous, though. His powers were so inhuman. Did that make him dangerous? Or did that make him my greatest asset? He hadn’t hurt me. Adriel had provoked him, like Adriel does, and Remy fought back, like a human does.

We came to the end of the alleyway and Adriel held his hand up between the two of us, behind his back and underneath his wings, motioning me to stop.

“We won’t be able to fly back. I’m not going to carry the both of you,” Adriel sneered in Remy’s direction as he turned to face us. He looked down at me. “You have to stay close to me. This time of night…” He flickered his gaze between the two of us, and up at the buildings around us. I finally noticed how late it had gotten. The sun was nowhere to be seen. The sky was a deep purple, fading to a navy color above us. I could see the stars twinkling and one of the two moons glowing above us. “People go missing at this time of night if they’re not careful.” I looked at Adriel with a stony expression. I rested a hand on my sword at my hip.

I wasn’t going anywhere.

I felt Remy place his hand on my shoulder. His grip was light. Adriel’s eyes rested on Remy’s hand. I clenched my teeth, setting my jaw and narrowing my eyes to stare down the angel in front of me. His possessiveness was getting old.

Adriel’s possessiveness was more dangerous than any illusion that Remy could ever conjure.

And yet, there I was, following his solid judgement and determined eyes.

“Don’t let her go,” Adriel said to Remy. My lips twitched into a small snarl.

“I’m going to be fine.” I took Remy’s hand off my shoulder. I turned my head back to shoot him a defiant look. He gave me a small smile in return.

“Stay close, Claire,” Adriel repeated gravely. I started walking, pushing Adriel out in front. He turned and started walking. I assumed that Remy followed closely behind me.

The streets were crowded. As I concentrated on the back of Adriel’s head, I remembered my first day here. How scared and excited I was to be here. How little I knew about these people; this life.

Adriel’s tall black wings were unmistakable, even in this light. I looked nowhere else but at his wings. His figure was surreal- ethereal, cosmic, angelic. Powerful. It seemed as though the crowds parted for him, even as packed as they were with this world’s strange, alien creatures.

The street was lined with torches every few meters. The small flames cast shadows across the people, shops, dust, and dirt. Some shops were closed, their windows darkened and doors closed. But other shops were open, busy, and boisterous. I couldn’t help glancing around to drink in the atmosphere around me. I caught a glimpse of the sword shop as we passed it. Swords and help. It was dark, obviously closed. I was glad to know that I could find my way home from here, if need be. The wall was on our right, and all we had to do was follow this street until we reached the bridge.

What if that man can help? I thought.

“Sav jo rohath,” he had said. I see you.

What if he could help us with illusionists? What if he could help me understand who… what I was?

I felt something brush against my hand. I looked over to my left to see Remy. The back of his hand grazed my own. He motioned his head back towards Adriel and I nodded, realizing I should be paying attention. I searched for Adriel’s wings and settled on them quickly.

“Remy,” I whispered. I hoped that he could hear me over the noisy crowd. He looked at me, leaning in with a curious expression. “We’re going to come back again tomorrow. We have one more person to talk to.” He raised his eyebrows, flicking his eyes between me and the angel ahead of us. He nodded once.

I was hoping that Adriel was learning, finally, and trying to give me space. He stayed ahead of us for the whole journey home. Perhaps he was merely leading the way to intimidate anyone who wanted to try to assault us on the road. Maybe he just didn’t want to be near Remy.

Who’s to say.

I realized that Remy was chanting under his breath again, like he had when we were coming to town that morning. I could barely hear him over the loud conversations between passers-by. I could have sworn I had heard a Latin phrase or two, but it was hard to tell.

Adriel was walking surprisingly slowly. We made our way closer to the outskirts of town and, when we neared the bridge, Adriel finally glanced back at Remy and I. He seemed relieved to see us still there. Maybe this was his way of extending his trust.

I let out a small breath, slipping a hand into my pocket and messing with some of the coins. My guilt grew.

Someday when I come back to visit them, I’ll pay him back, I thought. I could pay Adriel and Rahmiel back once I found some steady work.

The crowd had thinned considerably. I took this opportunity to increase my pace to meet up with Adriel.

“I didn’t get to ask before, Adriel,” I started, earning his attention just as we began to cross the bridge. “What were you doing out here? Where have you been?” I asked carefully. I didn’t want to say that I forgave him for his behavior, but I wanted him to know that I could still be civil with him. I only had a few more days here, and I didn’t want my relationship with them all to be tense.

“Around,” He answered simply. “I was just visiting Cal.” He sounded honest. What did I care anyway? “What have I missed, xe? What’s going on? Did the Magistrate come for me? What did you need from Cal?” He added bitterly, “Need some more presents?” I let out a tired breath, annoyed. It was weird how quick he could change. He sometimes seemed like two people living in one body.

“We found the man responsible for the Tiver murders,” Remy chimed from behind us. The air was still- no wind rustled the trees and as always, I heard no bugs, no birds. The voices from town grew distant as we travelled further down the dark dirt path back to Rahmiel’s cottage. The only sounds that stood out were the shuffling of our feet along the ground.

“And what the hell do you have to do with this?” Adriel asked, not bothering to look back at Remy. I rolled my eyes.

“Remy is helping Nicholas to track him down.”

I didn’t look at Adriel, not that I would have been able to see his face if I had, but I could hear the scoff in his voice when he responded. “Why him?”

“Because he’s my-”

I cut Remy off quickly. “He’s an illusionist, too.” A heavy silence followed. I winced, quietly grinding my back teeth.

“He’s your what, Remy?” Adriel asked venomously.

“Adriel,” I pleaded.

“He’s my brother.” Remy’s voice held strong, as if he’d practiced saying it hundreds of times before. I pressed my lips together tightly, squinting my tired eyes. After a moment of eerie silence I sighed.

“Adriel,” I started, though I did not get to finish my sentence.

I felt a gust of wind brush my hair back and I felt soft feathers push my arm back. Adriel’s foot planted firmly down on the ground as he moved towards me. He grabbed my arm with one hand and my waist with the other. He picked me up forcefully as I screamed in surprise. He pushed off the ground so fast, I didn’t know what was happening until I was in the air already. My stomach dropped as we flew up into the sky. I twisted and struggled in his tight grip.

“Adriel, stop!” For some reason, I expected to wake up. This couldn’t be real. We immediately veered off the path and travelled across the trees, “Stop, Adriel, stop!” I looked down at the ground as we sped away from the ground and over the forest. Remy’s pale skin stuck out in the moonlight. He was looking up at us with a straight face, as far as I could see. “Go to the cottage, Remy!” I shouted. “Tell Rahmiel!”

I continued to struggle against the dark angel. I felt the last strand of trust that connected my heart to him finally snap.

“You’re a goddamn maniac, Adriel!” I screamed at him shrilly. I wanted him to hear me over the roaring wind that assaulted us as we raced through the sky.

“I may be a maniac,” he yelled back. “But at least I’ll never be human.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all! Thanks for reading and thank you for your patience as I crawl through the process of writing this story. I promise I haven't forgotten. Please comment and let me know what you think! Subscribe and recommend if you haven't already. I really appreciate all of your support guys, it means the world to me. I'll see you guys in a couple more weeks!