Status: In the works

Two Plus Two Equals One

Jealousy and New Beginnings

Alex whips out his phone and types “Jack, r u coming? we started the movie w/o u!” It was Saturday and everyone was over at Alex’s to watch a few movies and chill out. Everyone but Jack. Well, and Alicia too, but since they were having “relationship issues” as far as he was aware, he didn’t bother to have Hannah text her.
Just then, Jack comes through the garage door into Alex’s family room replying “Dude, I’m right here. We got a little sidetracked talking to your mom.” Alex turns around when he hears the word “we” and sees Alicia following behind Jack, their hands clasped together tightly. Alex exchanges a glance with Rian, and he nods. Plan Break Up Jalicia is under way.
“Jack, I just watched the funniest youtube video today, you gotta see it.” Alex says, patting the seat next to him on the couch. It’s on the end, so Alicia wouldn’t be able to sit next to Jack. The only other available seats are either next to Hannah and Zack cuddling on the other couch, or next to Rian on the opposite end of the couch Jack is on. Alicia takes her chances next to Rian, and Alex winks at him. Rian rolls his eyes, but smiles softly to himself.
Alex settles down next to Jack, tapping buttons on his iPhone. Jack, happy to be with all his friends, looks over at Alicia who’s watching the movie and talking to Rian. Ever since last night they had been almost inseparable. After Alicia had fallen asleep in his arms, he had left just in case her parents walked in. How awkward would that have been? He didn’t want to take his chances, but he came back later and they hung out all day. He just wanted to be near her. “Jacky, you’re not even watching.” Alex pouts next to him, making Jack come back to reality. “Oh, sorry...” Jack trails, glancing over at Alicia in time to see Alicia laugh and put her hand on Rian’s shoulder. Rian looks away, smiling brightly and laughing. “It’s fine, I’ll just start it over. Are you actually gonna watch this time?” Alex asks. “Yeah.” He responds absently, looking back at the screen.
They both crack up during the middle of the dramatic scene of the movie only Hannah and Zack are actually watching. “ALEX! JACK! SHUT UP LEONARDO DICAPRIO IS ABOUT TO SAY MY FAVORITE LINE!” Hannah yells, throwing one of Mrs. Gaskarth’s nice couch pillows at them. Jack deflects it and between laughs Alex and him gasp to talk about whatever stupid thing made their asses practically fall off. “GODDAMMIT YOU MADE ME MISS IT!” Hannah shoots them a glare, while Zack takes her into a warm bear hug to calm her down. She relaxes in his arms, but not without narrowing her eyes at them one last time as they try to calm themselves. “Boys will be boys, HannahBear.” Alicia says, rolling her eyes. “Ain’t that the truth.” Hannah laughs, playfully beaming up at an offended looking Zack. “Oh shut up, you know I love you.” Hannah says before turning her attention to the ending scenes of Titanic. Zack kisses the top of her head, his eyes immediately shifting to Alex to see if he was mad, but he didn’t seem to notice. He was too busy staring at Jack with a concerned and angered look on his face.
“Jacky, why are you staring at Alicia? Obviously it’s all good between you guys now, you don’t need to be her creepy stalker.” Alex whispers loudly, a hint of annoyance in his tone. Jack looks down at him. “Yeah, I know, but look at her...Rian’s being all nice and making her laugh, you know I’ve always had a feeling he liked her...” Jack whispers, his eyes flicking over to Rian again, who is sitting a little too close to Alicia for Jacks comfort. “Look, you’re like, being creepily obsessed now. She’s not good to you obviously and your relationship is really starting to worry me. Maybe...maybe you should take a break from her for a little while. You could do better anyways...and she’d obviously be okay.” Alex gestures toward Rian, who tucks a lock of Alicia’s hair that fell in front of her eyes behind her ear as she blushes and bites her bottom lip. Jack tenses, “Alex, she’s my best friend, I’ve loved her for years I can’t just give up on it now...and I don’t like Rian trying to move in on my girlfriend.” Jack stands up and is about to call Rian out on it, but Alex jumps up. “Jack and I will be right back, I need to go show him something.” Alex takes Jacks wrist and drags him out of the room so fast Jack doesn’t have a chance to protest.
“Alex! What the hell?” Jack complains once they’re around the corner and safely in the kitchen. “The drama JUST ended between everyone, do we REALLY have to start more? I’m sorry, I’m just keeping you from doing something stupid. Rian isn’t doing anything wrong, and Alicia is being...no comment. Besides, I really think you should dump her anyways. There are so many people out there who would love to be with you, and would treat you ten times better than she ever will.” For example, me, Alex adds mentally. Jack is quiet for a long moment before sighing, “Yeah, maybe you’re kind of right...but I don’t know...I really care about her...but you have a point...I’ll think about it, okay? What did you have to show me anyways?” Jack changes the subject, waving off all the hard thoughts like he usually does. “Oh...right...I didn’t haha...but I’ve been working on some new lyrics, wanna see?” Jack nods vigorously, making Alex smile as they race upstairs to get his journal.
Jack flops on Alex’s messy bed while Alex grabs his journal off the dresser and flips through it. “Here, this is what I thought of earlier today.” Alex thrusts the notebook toward Jack, who takes it and reads aloud “Don't forget, we've got unfinished business, stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold, and I regret not knowing when to put an end to all this madness, keeps me wanting, keeps me wanting more...” Jack is quiet for another moment as he rereads it. “This is really good Alex, is it about something in particular?” Jack asks, handing a now pale Alex the journal. “Uh...why do you ask?” Alex inquires, beads of sweat forming on his brow. He didn’t think it was really obvious or anything, even though it may have been a *little* about Jack.
“No reason, it just seems kind of personal. I just wanted to know if there was a story behind it. I like your stories.” Jack says simply. Alex can feel the blood rush to his cheeks, and stutters, “Oh uh...yeah, thanks...um...” Jack smiles at him, then asks, “Can we go back downstairs now? I could really go for a James Bond movie right about now.” Alex, trying to stop mentally kicking himself for being so awkward, only nods in reply.
When they get back downstairs, the credits were rolling and Zack and Rian were trying to figure out how to work the DVD player while Hannah stood over them telling them to just push the “eject” button that was RIGHT THERE. Alicia was lying on the couch, looking half asleep. “Babe? You okay?” Jack asks as he sits down on the couch, gently resting his hand on her shoulder. “What? I’m not asleep, where’d you get that impression?” She jumps, sitting up, “Are you always going to be scaring me awake?” She yawns, smiling at him while he chuckles softly. “Of course. It’s too much fun watching you freak out. Are you tired? Do you want me to drive you home?” Jack asks. “No, no, I’m fine. I want you to stay here, have fun with your friends, relax a little. You need it bad, I can tell.” She replies. “But you-” “I’m fine, don’t mind me. Relax Jack, you’re acting like my mom.” She laughs, but it quickly turns into a yawn. “Are you sure?” “
“Oh, hey, sorry to interrupt, but I can drive you home if you want? That way Jack can stay here with everyone...?” Rian offers, walking over to their spot on the couch.
“Oh sure, that would be great if you don’t mind! Thanks Rian! See? It’s all better, no need to worry about me.”
“I don’t know, maybe I should take you home Alicia...” Jack mumbles. He really, really doesn’t want Rian of all people driving her home.
“Nah, it’s fine, I was on my way out anyways. It won’t hurt making an extra stop.” Rian smiles as Alicia gets up. “Thanks Rian!” She gives him a quick hug, then turns back to Jack. “Relax! Have fun, text me tomorrow, okay? Night Jack.” Alicia leans over and gives him a quick kiss on the cheek, before following Rian out of the house. Jack slumps back into the couch, sighing. “Don’t worry Jacky, Rian knows she’s off limits. He’s just being a good friend.” Alex reassures him. It doesn’t make Jack feel any better, but he goes along with it anyway. He needed a break.

~*~ATL~*~

“Wait outside, I hope the air will serve to remind you, that my heart is as cold as the clouds of your breath and my words are as timed as the beating in my chest..” Alex sang the final words in the latest song they finished. The four boys were in Alex’s garage, jamming out in preparation for their next show. This was their third completed song now and the boys were all totally stoked to perform them soon at Flyzik on the Wall. The four were suddenly startled by the clapping coming from the general direction of the door into the house and they turn to see Tom standing there, applauding them. “Oh, hey T, I didn’t hear you come in.” Alex says, turning a slight shade of pink as his brother looks over their little band set up. He shuffles into the garage and nods hello to everyone as he absently wanders around. “You guys are really good. Lex, did you write that song?” He asks, lightly trailing his fingers over the keys of a keyboard that had been long since abandoned in an empty corner of the garage. “Yeah, I did.” Alex says sheepishly, absently playing a few notes on his guitar. “Well it sounds great, your fans at Flyzik’s are gonna love it.” Tom replies. Then he coughs violently into his sleeve, waves a goodbye over his shoulder and shuffles back into the house.
Once he’s gone and the door is shut firmly again, Alex anxiously rubs the back of his neck and looks towards where his brother disappeared. Jack notices his tension and walks over to him saying lowly, “Alex, what’s wrong?” Alex shakes his head and hesitated before saying, “I’m just worried about Tom. He’s been sick lately and he just seems to be getting worse but he won’t go to the damn doctor...” He runs a hand through his hair, sending the locks sticking up in completely different directions. Jack reaches up and brushes his hair back into order and Alex can feel his stomach warm up, butterflies erupting, as they often do around Jack. “He’ll be okay Lexy, he’s probably just got a flu or a cold or something, he’ll be back to normal in no time.” He tries to reassure the other boy, gently putting his hand on Alex’s shoulder to comfort him. Alex isn’t totally reassured but Jack trying to make him feel better is enough to make him fake a smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes. “Thanks Jacky.”
“If you two are done swapping gossip like a couple of girls over there, why don’t we play some more music eh?” Rian calls eventually, stopping any further conversation between the two. “We do have a debut show ya know, only 5 days away, we need to practice.” He continues, starting to tap out a beat to a Yellowcard cover they’re doing. Zack adds in a bass riff thing and soon the two are randomly pulling a blues song out of their asses and just jamming together. Alex and Jack exchange a look at the random change in the atmosphere and grin at the same time, breaking out into a 40s style, wag-your-finger-like-an-old-person-dance thing like in that one Fairly Oddparents episode with Timmy’s grandpa, at the same time.
They all laugh and goof off for a while, Alex and Jack abandon their guitars and are doing some disturbed form of the jitterbug together while Rian and Zack provide their music and laugh hysterically.
Eventually they stop and pick up their guitars again and they start to practice again, getting a good two and a half more hours in. They stop when Alex croaks out that he can’t sing another note and he chugs down some water. The guys pack up their stuff, say adieu and then depart, Jack hanging back for a couple of minutes to give Alex some praise for his lyrical ability and some reassurement about Tom. He gives Alex a hug and then is gone, leaving Alex behind, still feeling Jack’s arms around him, his thin but strong touch lingering on his skin, leaving goosebumps on his arms. Someday, Alex thinks, someday Jack will be mine to hug at my leisure and he’ll never have to let me go.
Alex sighs and runs a hand through his hair, closing the door and going up to his room. He pulls on some sweats and flops onto his bed, grabbing his journal from his nightstand and starting to try and write a new song. After a while of his pencil moving across the page, Alex looks down to see one word written over and over, in different fonts, surrounded by doodles upon sappy doodles. Jack. Jack Jack Jack.
Well. That’s not a song. Alex thinks but he can’t help but smile as more thoughts of the skunk haired boy flutter through his mind. Alex smiles lazily, dropping his journal onto his nightstand and flicking off the light switch. He absently pulls a blanket over himself and settles down onto his pillow, a tired smile still gracing his lips as he drifts into a heavy slumber, dreams of stardom, song lyrics and Jack floating about in his head.

~*~ATL~*~

Meanwhile, Zack is on his way to Hannah’s house after his rehearsal with the guys. She was rehearsing with Alicia and her other two friends for Telescopic Zoom today and he promised he’d stop over to hang out later. He pulls his Jeep into her driveway and hopped out, walking to her door and ringing the doorbell.
A few minutes later, there was loud laughter and the door swung open, showing Hannah, giggling like crazy and a tall boy with brown hair, blue eyes and muscles like Zack’s own. “Daniel will you stop TICKLING me?!” Hannah giggles in mock anger as the dude reaches up and tickles the sensitive spot on the back of her neck. Zack hated him with the burning passion of a thousand suns. “ZACKY!” Hannah finally exclaims, once her attention is off the kid still trying to tickle her. She launches herself at Zack, giving him a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Hey Hannah. Who's this?” Zack asks tightly, sending a glare in the direction of the handsome stranger. “Oh,” Hannah laughs, “Zack, this is Daniel, Daniel this is my boyfriend, Zack.” She introduces. “Hannah! DON’T call me Daniel!!” The boy exclaims, swatting her arm and then licking his finger and sticking it in her ear. “UGH DANNY I HATE YOU!” she screeches, rubbing her ear but not able to contain her laughter. She shoves Danny a bit but he doesn’t really go anywhere since he’s a lot bigger than the small girl. He rolled his eyes and wraps an arm around Hannah’s neck, pulling her to his side while he finally addresses Zack. “Call me Danny. I play the drums in Telescopic Zoom, nice ta meetcha Zack.” Danny offered a smile and outstretched a hand to Zack, who shook it firmly, squeezing the kids fingers a little more than strictly necessary. “Hey. So, are we still hanging out today or are you too busy with your... friend?” Zack asks Hannah (who has finally wiggled free from Danny’s grasp), looking at Danny with distaste. “Of course we’re still hanging out you noodlehead! Band practice just ended and Danny was just chillin’ for a bit.” “Noodlehead?” Danny snickers. Hannah rolls her eyes and playfully punches Danny in one of his big muscular arms and he laughed and messed up her hair, much to her protest. Zack just looks on, glaring angrily at the other boy. “So,” Zack bluntly interrupts their little play fight, “Hannah, do you wanna go chill in your room or go out or something?” He was trying not to be too obvious about how much he didn’t like this dude flirting with his girlfriend but Danny was attractive and Hannah seemed to like him. “Oh, I’m interrupting date night aren’t I? Sorry sorry.Well you kids have fun, I’ll just be going then, see ya tomorrow HannahBell, later Zack.” Danny says, winking at Hannah before walking passed Zack and down the street. The two watch him go for a second before Hannah chuckles and takes one of Zack’s big hands in both of hers and, walking backwards, drags him into her house and out into her big backyard. The two make their way up into a tree house, high in the top of an ancient maple and they cuddle down into the large pile of blankets and pillows up there.
“Soooo... Danny seems nice, are you two close?” Zack asks, trying and failing to hide his irritation. “Oh I guess you could say that, he’s been playing drums for forever and it seemed like he just HAD to join the band, he was more than happy to, I love Danny, he’s really good and really funny.” Hannah replies, leaning her head against Zack’s chest. He grunts, slightly hurt at her use of the word “love.” “Oh, I see. Yeah, you two were real cute together with that whole flirty fighting thing.” Zack replies, bitterness seeping into his voice. Hannah sits upright and turns to look at him, an amused grin on her lips, “Why Zackary Merrick are you JEALOUS?” she asks, raising a bemused eyebrow. Zack scoffs, “Pfft, course not.” Hannah rolls her eyes, “You so are!” Zack huffs in reply, crossing his arms and looking away. “Zackary, look at me.” Hannah says sternly. She takes his chin in her hand and turns his face so she can look him straight in the eyes. “You have nothing to worry about. You’re mine and I’m yours.” She places an innocent kiss on his lips and feels some of his tension fade away, then she pulls away and whispers against his skin with a devilish smirk, “You’re cute when you’re jealous.”

~*~ATL~*~

“Guess who?” A voice asks as they put their hands over Jack’s eyes. “I don’t know!” Jack yells, turning on his heel and taking Alicia into a big hug. “Hey babe, what took you so long to get here? I’ve missed you!” Jack smiles. “I’ve missed you too! I’m so excited for the show!” Alicia replies, their arms still around each other. Jack leans down and kisses her before he lets go. “Hey...that’s not your sweatshirt.” Jack points out, noticing the dark blue sweatshirt shes wearing thats gigantic on her. “Oh, this? Yeah, it’s Rian’s, he lent it to me last weekend when he drove me home from Alex’s house. I haven’t had a chance to give it back to him so I thought I’d give it back to him now.” Alicia says, wrapping her arms around it. Jack nods and turns back to get his amp out of the car. “Why didn’t you wear your own jacket?” He mumbles. “I left it in your car and we had already left, so...Jack, are you okay?” Jack grunts and Alicia stops talking.
“THAT’S where my sweatshirt went!” Rian says, walking out of the building to help Jack grab equipment. “Yeah, thanks for letting me borrow it. It’s nice and warm, I almost don’t want to give it back!” Alicia hugs herself again, smiling at Rian. “Fine, you can keep it till after the show.” Rian smiles back brightly. “Or you could just wear my sweatshirt...” Jack grumbles to himself. “Can I help with something Jack?” Rian questions. Jack looks up at his innocent look and replies, “No, I’ve got it.” Rian nods and heads back inside. “Jack?” Alicia asks. Jack slams the car door shut and huffs “I’m fine.”
Inside, Alicia meets up with Hannah and they find a table right up front. On stage, Alex introduces them, “Hey everyone, as you may have heard, our two bands broke up. Yep, so sad. BUT, lucky for you, instead we have two new bands with the same old people and an a totally improved sound! Hope you enjoy, we are All Time Low!” Alex shouts, and behind him the band starts playing. Their set goes well for their first time playing together in front of people. They rock out to all their original songs, and among the crowd they seem to be a hit. To the guys, it’s the best feeling in the world to actually have fans and people who enjoy their music. But like all shows, it must come to an end and soon enough they're all done. It was probably their best show out of all their band experience.
“Guys! That was amazing!” Hannah exclaims as she runs into Zack’s open arms. “Thanks, it was a lot of fun. I think everyone really enjoyed it.” Alex says, grinning at Jack. “Hey Lex, I think you’ve got some fans.” Rian comments, pointing to the group of girls lining up behind them. They wave and giggle and Alex runs a hand through his hair. “Well hello there, what can I do for you?” Alex asks. The girls giggle again till the curly dark haired one inquires, “Well...we were kinda wondering if we could have your autograph? You guys were really good.” “And you’re really hot.” The blonde one adds, winking at him. Alex awkwardly laughs thinking, “Sorry to disappoint you, but I’m kinda gay...” but instead thanks her. “Who should I make this out to?” Alex asks, holding the curly haired girls notebook. “Kubs!” The blonde one shouts, making the dark haired one roll her eyes. “To Anna. And that’s Kelsey. She’s your newest number one fan...I’d hate to be you right now.” She laughs jokingly, Kelsey’s jaw dropping as she looks offended. “Thanks a lot, you jerk!” Alex hands them back their notebooks as they thank him and leave. “Well anyways, that was a really good show. Don’t you guys have to perform now?” Alex asks Hannah, who’s checking her phone. “Yeah we’re just...oh there’s Danny.” Danny walks in holding a pair of drumsticks, calling, “Hey, I’m here, just like I said I would be.” He grins at Hannah, who seems playfully annoyed. “Way to show up at the last possible second. Come on.” She grabs Alicia’s hand and drags her away from Rian and Jack, Danny following close behind with another kid who was assumed to be their bassist.
“Well, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I could really go for a burger or three. Let’s get something to eat.” Jack says as he starts off toward the counter. “Jacky, you’re always hungry. You’re lucky we’re getting paid today, ‘cause you’re an expensive date.” Alex laughs. Jack turns and smiles brightly at him, making them all laugh a little. They all order something and Alex pays, before they settle in in time to watch Telescopic Zoom perform.

After their performance and all the equipment is packed up, all eight of them sit at the milkshake bar like usual. “Oh crap, my parents are so annoying. I better head home before my mom goes all Red Queen and starts shouting ‘Off with your head!’” Alicia jumps up from her stool, waving goodbye to everyone. “Yeah, we all should probably start going, it’s getting kind of late. Danny, need a ride home?” Hannah inquires. “If you insist.” He grins back. “Hey, see you tomorrow?” Zack questions, taking Hannah’s hand. “Of course, see you then.” She gives him a quick kiss, but Zack pulls her closer, deepening it. “Whoa whoa whoa, get a room! No one wants to see that!” Alex complains. “Use a condom!” Jack adds, making Alex laugh even though he still doesn’t fully approve of Zannah. “Oh will you two shut up?” Hannah smiles, leaning away from Zack. Alex whispers something inappropriate to Jack and they both crack up, not paying attention to Hannah anymore. “Whatever, bye guys.” Danny and Hannah leave, leaving only the All Time Low members left.
“Guys, can I talk to you for a minute before you head out?” Matt asks, coming out from the kitchen door. The boys nod, confused and a little worried what this might be about. “Well, I’m just gonna say it. I opened a new restaurant! Flyzik on the Wall now has another location! And because you guys are such a hit here, I was wondering if you wanted to be the first ones to play there, maybe even play at the opening? You could be the first regulars there, establish your whole fan base and everything! Its bigger than this one, and hopefully you’ll help attract a lot of new customers too. What do you say?” Matt looks at them hopefully, his eyes gleaming. The boys exchange questioning glances and nods of agreement. “Well, gosh, thanks, that would be such a honor. And personally I think we’d all be okay with moving places. We’re so happy your business is such a hit! I think we’re all up for doing that, right guys?” They all agree, and it’s settled. Next Friday, opening day, they’ll play there instead of here. Maybe it’ll even be the start of something new.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: WE’RE ALIVE! THE ZOMBIE’S REALLY DIDN’T GET US!!! HOLY RAINBOWS ON JUPITER IT’S BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE WE’VE UPDATED! SCHOOL SUCKS BIG FOOTS HAIR BUTTOX AND IT’S TAKING AWAY FROM THE VERY IMPORTANT FANFIC WRITING TIME!
DAMN YOU AP EUROPEAN HISTORY!!!! It takes up too much time! THERES NO MORE FUN! :'( Biggest mistake of my life, thats for sure. Hannah likes it tho...coughlosercough... ~Alicia
So anywho, again, we apologize for the EXTREME lateness of this but I hope the awesomeness of this chapter will make up for it! And finally, shout outs to Kelsey and Anna, you lovelies finally made it into this fic! Love you guys!! <3 SO THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS AND KEEP THEM COMIN’! IF YOU COMMENT I WILL LET YOU COME LIVE AT SAM’S CLUB WITH ME WHEN THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE HAPPENS!!!! xoxoHannah