Status: In the works

Two Plus Two Equals One

Love, Jealousy and the Art of Kicking Trees

“Mother FUCK.” Alicia swears as she pulls her Benz into her garage.
“I can not BELIEVE they followed us here.” Hannah says from the passengers seat, looking at the Jeep thats pulled into the driveway behind them in the sideview mirror. Alicia huffs and climbs out of the car, slamming the door shut violently as she goes; then she heads out of the garage and makes a face as Jack jumps out of the Jeep to follow her. “ALICIA! WAIT!” He calls as he chases after her. “GO AWAY!” She yells back, running into the house and slamming the door. Jack follows her and Hannah runs to stop him but before she can even place her foot on the first step up to the porch, two incredibly strong arms have wrapped around her waist, dragging her off the walkway and into the rose garden on the side of Alicia’s house.
“Let GO of me Zack! I have NOTHING to say to you!” Hannah shouts, angrily trying to get out of Zack’s arms. “Hannah just listen...” Zack says, trying to quiet the girl. “NO! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR YOUR EXCUSES YOU BACKSTABBER! I THOUGHT I COULD TRUST YOU! YOU’RE MY BOYFRIEND! YOU CAN’T SAY A SINGLE THING TO ME TO MAKE THIS OK! NOTHING!” Zack manages to turn her around so she’s facing him without her escaping. “Hannah, please, I can explain, if you’ll just let me explain...” His voice is pleading and Zack is feeling desperate and the look on Hannah’s face is making him nervous he won’t be able to change her mind. “You can’t say a SING--” Hannah’s angry protest is cut off by Zack who, in a last attempt to silence the fuming girl, pulls her close to him and places his lips on hers in a passionate kiss.
Hannah is shocked and after a moment pulls away, touching her lips in surprise. “Zack...” she whispers, looking up into the boys eyes. He looks scared, his arms are slightly outstretched, like he’s afraid she’s going to run away and he’ll never see her again. The thought terrifies Zack to his very core, he finally, FINALLY has something, has SOMEONE, in his life who actually understands him and makes him happy and he just ruins it like a total asshole. “Hannah, can we please... can we talk?” She doesn’t say anything, just nods and continues to gaze at him. He leads her to the little wrought iron bench and they sit down among the flowers. “Hannah, I’m really, really sorry about all of this, about Alex hating me and the whole band thing. I didn’t mean for it to happen this way, I wanted to tell you, I know I should have but I didn’t want this, I didn’t want you to find out like this, I didn’t want to break your heart... I know how much music means to you and I didn’t want that to be taken away from you... I’m just so, so sorry Hannah, I just... I like you, I care about you so much and I--” Hannah shuts Zack up by pressing a soft, chaste kiss to his lips. “It’s okay.” She says, leaning her forehead against his. “I’m still upset, but I forgive you, this isn’t all your fault, Alex is upset with me, not you and as for the band, I wish... I wish we didn’t have to find out this way but things change... We’ll move on and... I’m just... It’s kind of a lot for me to handle, I’m sorry for getting mad at you...” Zack wraps his arms around her and pulls her towards him tightly, “I guess we both screwed up huh?” Hannah nods into his chest then looks up at him, “Did we just have our first fight as a couple?” Zack smiles before leaning down towards her, “Yeah, I think we did.” And he kisses her once more.

~*~ATL~*~

Meanwhile, Jack runs up the stairs after Alicia, who slams her bedroom door and locks it just as he reaches it. He runs into the solid wood door face first, hitting his nose hard. “Dammit...” His hand immediately goes to his face, checking for blood, but luckily, he’s not bleeding. Jack pounds on the door, calling, “Alicia, can we talk about this? Please?” “No! Just go away!” She yells, obviously leaning against the other side of the door. “Come on...Look, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, I didn’t want this to happen...” Jack trails, leaning his forehead against the door. He can hear her crying softly inside, and it’s like a little stab in the heart. “Alicia...I’m sorry. I know, we always planned to be in a band and one day become famous together, but-” Jack is interrupted by Alicia screaming, “YOU’RE A DREAM CRUSHER! YOU’RE MY BEST. FRIEND! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?! After everything we’ve been through...after all these years...” She sniffles, breaking to sobs as she spoke. “I know, I’m sorry, but I don’t know, it just kind of happened! I was going to tell you, I didn’t want you to be upset! I’m sorry...can I come in? I promise, I’ll make it up to you.” Jack whispers through the door. “No Jack, just leave. You don’t get how much you’ve hurt me. You left me, abandoned me, your best friend, your girlfriend, and you didn’t even have the balls to tell me. I had to find out from that Rian guy, of all people, someone I HAVEN’T trusted my life with since kindergarten...” She replies, her voice muffled. Jack sighs and slides to the ground, leaning against the door. Even though he’s known Alicia forever, he doesn’t know how to make her feel better. Normally he could just hug her and make it okay again but that wasn’t an option now. She didn’t hold grudges, and she had never cried because of him. Sure, Alicia got angry at him all the time, but he could calm her down. Anger faded fast but he had never broke her heart before...
It grows quiet for a long moment, and Jack asks, “Alicia? Are you okay in there?” “What do you think? No, I’m not okay dumbass. And it’s all your fault.” She says, softly. Jack winces as if she had hit him. He had never liked hurting people, especially when it was unintentional, and especially when he cared about them. “Just go away.” Alicia repeats. “I’m not leaving until you come out and accept my apology. Can we please just talk this through? I’ll explain how it all happened and everything, and maybe I can ask the guys to let you join...” Jack trails, unsure of what more he can say. “No! I don’t wanna be in your stupid band with your stupid friends! I want to be left alone right now! Go the fuck away Jack!” She says harsher than she intended, but not really caring. “I told you, I’m not leaving. You’ve forced my hand, I’m breaking into your room.” Jack gets up and pads over to the bathroom on the other end of the hall. He goes through a couple drawers, ignoring his uncomfortableness at digging through a girls bathroom cupboard, and comes back, bobby pin in hand. He crouches down in front of the door and starts trying to unlock it, while Alicia inquires, “Jack? What the hell are you doing?” “I told you, I’m coming in.” He hears the door unlock, and turns the handle, leaning against the door.to shove it open. Alicia screams in surprise, and starts pushing as hard as she can to close it. “Alicia, stop, please babe, just let me in.” Jack says, looking at her through the small opening the door has made. “Go. Away!” She looks at him then, her eyes locking on his, and he sees how puffy and red they are and for a moment Jack forgets to keep forcing the door open, he just wants to hug her. Alicia takes the opportunity to heave the door closed again and relock it. “Please. Just go.” She sounds miserable, and Jack finally lets up. He can’t stand hearing her like this. Jack sighs, defeated, “Fine. I’m going now. I’m sorry Alicia, I never meant to hurt you...” Jack finally walks away from the door, going down the stairs. At the bottom of the steps he hears her door open, and he looks up to see her standing at the top of the stairs, holding a tissue box and staring at him. “I’m sorry.” Jack pleads to her with his eyes. She says nothing, and then turns, running back into her bedroom, slamming the door. He assumes she started crying again, but doesn’t bother running after her this time. She needs some space, and he has to get back home. With one last look up the stairs, Jack walks out the front door. How did I manage to mess this up? He thinks. I’m such a failure... Jack stalks over the the Jeep and climbs into the passenger seat, slamming the door shut with a good deal of unnecessary force.
“What was that?” Hannah asks, pulling away from Zack’s lips. “What was what?” He asks her, not having heard anything but her breath in their moment. “Did you hear a door slam like, really loudly?” “Oh fuck, it’s probably Jack, I’d better go, I’ll talk to you later okay?” Hannah nods and Zack kisses her cheek before he runs off to his car, jumps in the drivers seat and puts the car in reverse. Jack has his head leaned against the window with his arms crossed, looking so upset and completely and utterly defeated. “It’ll be okay man.” Zack says, patting Jack on the elbow. Jack says nothing in reply and they ride the rest of the way to Jack’s house in silence.

~*~ATL~*~

It’s Thursday after school, and when Alex opens his front door, Jack is standing on the porch. Alex smiles, “Hey! Come on in, I didn’t know you were coming over today.” “Oh, sorry, I should’ve texted you first...” Alex takes a closer look at Jack, and notices how his shoulders are hunched, his head is down and the bags under his eyes are a deep purple. In short, Jack looks miserable. “No dude, it’s cool, my house is always open. What’s wrong? You look terrible.” Alex asks, leading him into the kitchen. “Oh thanks, ‘cause that’s what I wanna hear everyday.” Jack smirks slightly. “Sorry! I’m just worried about you, you look like you tried to take on the Hulk, lost and then got up to try again. What happened? Maybe one of my mom’s brownies will cheer you up.” Jack takes a seat at the kitchen island while Alex grabs plates. “Are they anything like your moms cookies? Because those are OUTRAGEOUSLY good.” Jack comments.
“They’re ten times better in my opinion, you’ll like them.” Alex grins as Jack’s eyes light up and butterflies explode in his stomach. As Alex serves them both a huge brownie, an extremely tall boy walks into the room. He looks shockingly like Alex, but even taller. “Hi guys...Who’s this?” The boy asks, gesturing toward Jack. “Oh, this is my best friend Jack; Jack, this is my older brother Tom.” Tom does the guy nod thing, and Jack waves slightly back. Tom then coughs into his sleeve, before inquiring, “Alex, where’s the advil? I don’t feel so well...” “In the cabinet where it always is, duh.” Alex replies. “OH MY GOD THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BROWNIE I HAVE EVER HAD! Can I marry your mother?” Jack shouts happily, savoring the taste of his first bite of Mrs. Gaskarth’s brownies. Tom and Alex look at Jack like he’s crazy, but he’s too busy practically making out with the thing to even notice. “And I thought Rian was your weird friend...guess I was wrong.” Tom says, before leaving the way he came. Alex facepalms and laughs at Jack, who’s staring at the brownie with eyes the size of the moon. “Okay, I think that’s enough of that brownie for you...” Alex tries to drag Jack away while he yells, “NOOOO! BROWNIE COME BACK! YOU CAN BLAME IT ALL ON ALEX!” Alex chuckles, and they go upstairs.
When they reach Alex’s messy room, Jack flops down on the bed, checking his phone for the millionth time today. He doesn’t have any new messages, so he sighs. “What’s wrong Jacky?” Alex asks, sitting down on the bed next to him. Jack exhales a long breath. “Alicia’s still mad at me. She hasn’t answered any of my calls, hasn’t replied to my texts...Zack said she was unusually quiet in math class today, and she didn’t show up for lunch...I’m kinda upset about it, but that doesn’t matter...” Of course it was Alicia who was the reason behind Jack feeling like crap. That little bitch, she’s not even WORTHY, Alex thinks. But he could tell Jack needed to talk about it, so he swallows his anger and says, “Of course it matters, what happened yesterday anyways?” “Not much, I apologized to her, but she wouldn’t talk to me. I’ve never seen her this upset with me before. I feel so bad about it, I never meant to hurt her, and I would do anything to make her feel better...but she won’t let me.” Jack explains, rubbing his tired face. “Well give her time, she’ll get over it. Don’t worry too much about it, she’s still your girlfriend after all, right?” Alex secretly hopes he’d say no, but he tries not to be obvious about it. “Yes, I think... maybe...I don’t know. I just want to talk to her, hold her in my arms until she forgives me...ugh, I didn’t sleep at all last night and I fell asleep during my science test instead...don’t think I did too well. Oh well.” Jack attempts to give Alex a half hearted smile, but it doesn’t work out that way and comes out as more of a grimace. Alex meets his eyes, and Jack looks away, his eyes filled with sadness. Alex looks down at his sock clad feet, unsure of how to comfort his friend.
After a moment, Jack puts his head on Alex’s shoulder, without saying a word. Alex glances sideways at him, but Jack doesn’t look back at him. He just sighs. “Hey, don’t worry Jacky, it’ll all be okay.” Alex wraps his arm around Jack, giving his shoulder a tight squeeze. “I know...I’m sorry I’m all depressed and stuff, you must think its annoying and stupid...” Jack trails. “No, of course not! You’re my best friend, I don’t mind, I’m here to listen to your problems,I just want you to feel better. Alicia will come around, she’s just upset, don’t worry about it, there’s nothing you can do right now. Just relax.” Jack nestles his head into Alex’s shoulder more comfortably and wraps his arms around his waist. “Thanks Alex, that really means a lot.” Alex can hear the smile coming back in Jack’s voice. Alex grins, playing with Jack’s long hair, “No problem Jacky...” They stay like that for a while, before Jack finally moves away. Alex is reluctant to let him go, but knows he has to. “Well, I better go, lot’s of homework and stuff...I’ll see you tomorrow at the show, okay? We gotta tell Matt about All Time Low...” Jack says, standing up. “Yeah, okay.” Alex replies, getting up. They stare at each other for another moment, and Jack takes Alex into a hug. “You made me feel a lot better, Lex. Thanks for being so awesome.” Jack whispers into Alex’s hair. “I’ll always be here for you Jacky, anytime.” Jack lets go, and starts for the door. “Bye, Lex. Text me.” Jack winks playfully, and exits, closing the door behind him. “Bye Jack...” And then it was Alex’s turn to flop on his bed and sigh.
He had just got comfortable to sulk for a while when the doorbell rings once again. “Alex sweetie, can you get that?” Alex’s mom calls from down the hall. Alex groans and heaves himself off bed and out into the hall. “Yeah Mom, I got it.” He calls to her before sliding down the banister and skidding to a stop in front of the door, pulling it open and stares in shock at the figure standing on the porch, looking at her shoes.
“Hannah, what’re you doing here?” Alex asks, his guard going up and his eyes narrowing at the girl. “Uhh... do you wanna go for a walk?” She asks, looking up at him through her eyelashes. He frowns at her but calls over his shoulder, “Mom! I’m going on walk with Hannah! Be back soon!” Her voice floats down the stairs in reply, “Oh good, you should really ask her on a date you’d be sooo--” “BYE MOM!” Alex interrupts, slamming the door shut as he steps out into the night. “She was kidding about that, I’m not gonna ask you out. Really.” Alex says quickly before leading the way across his yard and they start walking down the sidewalk. “Yeah, I know, I can’t even imagine you really want to see me right now.” She replies, glancing at him quickly then looking away. “Why didn’t you tell me you were dating that douche?” Alex asks, venom dripping from his voice as he violently kicks a pebble away. “He’s not a douche, you don’t even know him that well.” Hannah defends, getting angry herself. “How well do I have to know him to know he’s not good enough for you?!” Alex exclaims, kicking a tree and then yelling, “OWWW!” before muttering a stream of curse words and hobbling along. “Then who is good enough for me Alex? Huh?” Hannah asks, stopping walking and crossing her arms. Alex turns to face her and angrily huffs, running his hands through his hair, “No one! No one is good enough for you!” Hannah sighs and lets her arms drop and her eyes soften, “You really think that?” Alex sighs and looks at her, “Of course that’s what I think, you're my best friend, my HannahBear, you’re like my little sister, you’re precious and no guy will ever be good enough for you.” Hannah can’t help but smile at him, “Thanks Lex. And I’m really, really sorry I didn’t just tell you but I knew you wouldn’t take it well and I wanted to keep my promise to you, I really did but I just... I couldn’t NOT go out with Zack... I’m so sorry Lex, can you forgive me?” She scuffs her sneakers against the ground and avoids looking at Alex and at that moment she looks so much like a sad little girl that Alex pulls her into a tight hug and whispers in her ear, “I’ll always forgive you, no matter how stupid you can be. And I’m sorry I got so mad, I might have overreacted a bit... And I’m also really sorry that we kicked you out of the band...” Hannah nuzzles her face into Alex’s neck, “It’s okay Lex, at least we have one last show together, we have a chance to end it right...”

~*~ATL~*~

On Friday before the show, Hannah and the four boys went to Flyzik on the Wall early to talk to Matt about the bands splitting up. “What can I do for you five?” Matt asks, meeting each of their eyes for a few seconds. “Well I guess I’ll get straight to the point...us four decided to start a band, called All Time Low, without the girls.” Alex says, gesturing towards the guys. “So the girls are just not going to have an act? Damn, they’re both so talented...” Matt’s gaze shifts to Hannah, who replies, “Well actually, in the five minutes I talked to Alicia yesterday, we decided to start our own band with some other friends and we’re calling it Telescopic Zoom. We should be ready to play by next week. So if its okay with you, this will be our last show like this...?” Hannah trails, hoping for Matt’s approval, sending a quick glare at Rian who mutters to Alex with a snicker, “Hannah has other friends?” Matt sighs, “Fine, that works. But you’ve made quite a few fans, they might be disappointed...say, speaking of which, where is Alicia?” Everyone looks at Jack, who shrugs dejectedly. “You’re the last one that talked to her, Hannah.” He whispers, checking his phone again. “Well I have no idea, I talked to her yesterday from the outside of her bedroom door, and all I got was, ‘Sure, whatever, I’ll be your guitarist, leave me alone, blah blah blah, sob sob.’” Hannah rolls her eyes. “But what if she doesn’t make it to the show tonight? We’re on in like half an hour...” Jack points out. “You know Alicia, she doesn’t miss anything. I trust her to be here for us.” Zack says. “Well, then I guess you guys should start setting up. If worse comes to worst, I could always try to sing for you...” Hannah offers. “I guess that’ll work...” Jack says, not looking up. Alex puts his hand on Jack’s back, rubbing it gently. “It’ll be okay Jacky.” He says comfortingly, his heart aching, wishing he could just hold Jack and make all the sadness go away.
Jack pushed back his chair and gets up from the table without a word, heading to the stage. Zack places a quick kiss on Hannah’s cheek, making her blush, then looks at Alex apologetically, forgetting about what happened last time before running off after Jack. Alex still isn’t completely okay with them, but he knows that if he’s going to be in a band with Zack, he needs to forget it. As long as he doesn’t hurt her, he can keep himself controlled.
It’s now two minutes before the show is supposed to start, and Alicia still hasn’t shown up, or replied to anyones messages. “I told you she wasn’t gonna show.” Jack says to Zack, taking his guitar off his shoulder. “Well you lie, there she is.” Zack nods toward the door, which just opened. In walks Alicia, dressed in dark gray skinny jeans, a black t-shirt, a gray scarf to match her pants, and her favorite pair of worn out Chucks. Jack notices she’s wearing her lucky bracelet and more makeup than usual to hide the red rings around her eyes. It doesn’t help much though, she looks awful and really tired. “I’m here, let’s start.” Alicia says bluntly as she crosses the stage to the mic, completely ignoring Jack’s presence. “Alicia...” Jack whispers, but she doesn’t turn around or reply in any way. Jack and Zack exchange a look, and begin to play...
When they end, Zack announces it was their last show together as a band. It had been their worst set they had ever played; such a terrible way to be remembered. It was lifeless, and Alicia didn’t look at Jack the entire time. Jack, knowing she was right there, still upset with him, kept getting to him and he screwed up at the climactic part of their best song. It threw the rest of them off, so they ended it short. When the lights went off, Alicia stalks off the stage as Jack quickly takes off his guitar and runs after her. “Alicia, wait up, come on, please!” She keeps a brisk pace, but Jack soon caught up to her. He runs in front of her and grabs hold of her arm. She looks up at him, her eyes like icy shards stabbing him in the dead of winter. Regardless, he meets her eyes, pleading, “Please, can we just talk about this?” “Let me go.” Alicia yanks her arm away and shrugs past him. The people at the tables around them are staring, one couple whispering, “Nooooo, don’t walk away Alicia! Jack go after her!” Jack glares at them, “Not helping.” He takes off after Alicia again, who in the meantime was crossing the parking lot. He reaches the door when he feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns, and it’s Alex.
“Let her go, you can go to her later. For now, just relax, listen to some music and get something to eat.” He says, gently tugging him away from the window. Jack turns around for a moment, just in time to watch her drive off, before nodding. “Okay...don’t you have a show to play?” Jack asks, smiling at him. “What? Oh yeah! See ya after!” Alex happily bounds off toward the stage and Jack grabs a seat with Zack. “Still no luck?” He questions as Jack settles in. Jack sighs, and Zack nods in understanding. “It happens. Remember last year when she got dumped by that Jonny kid? She didn’t talk to either of us for almost a week, and we had nothing to do with it. Girls...” Zack laughs a little, making Jack smile. “Ain’t that the truth...” Jack and Zack hush up as their friends take the stage and start their final set.
At the end of their amazing show, Alex, Rian and Hannah meet up with them at the milkshake bar like usual. It was part of their end of the show ritual. “Good job guys!” Jack congratulates, giving Rian and Alex high fives. “Yeah! It was so fun! I’m gonna miss playing with you though, Hannah.” Alex says to Hannah, who nods and hugs him. “I’m gonna miss both of you guys! We’ve been playing for almost a year and a half together!” Hannah waves over Rian and they have a group hug. “We’re gonna miss you HannahBear.” Rian looks like he’s fighting back tears as he hugs the life out of her. Jack and Zack watch them, before Zack says, “I feel awkward watching this...and I’d hug you, but we’re not breaking up...if only...nevermind.” Jack knows what he means, if only Alicia was here to make this whole group huge more extravagant. If only he hadn’t made her upset, then their last show together wouldn’t have sucked. He didn’t think she was going to get this upset, it wasn’t really THAT big of a deal, but she’s a girl. Jack will never understand girls.
Jack didn’t feel like having a milkshake and hanging out with everyone then. He needed to fix this with Alicia. Right. Now. He gets up from his stool, handing Zack three bucks. “Can you pay for me? I think I’m gonna go...” Jack says. Zack nods as Jack heads toward the door. “Jack, where ya going?” Alex calls, letting go of Hannah and Rian and running over to him. Jack looks away, “I just don’t feel well, I’m gonna head home.” “Dude, why are you so hung up on this Alicia thing? It doesn’t matter, she’ll get over it. Stop letting her rule your life. If she’s giving you this much trouble, you should just break up with her. It’ll save so much time anyways...” Alex grumbles. He was liking Alicia less and less the more she affected Jack. “I know, it’s just...I want it all better. It’s like when you and Hannah were fighting. When it gets better, I’ll be okay. Till then, I need time. Text me later, okay?” Jack gives him a small smile, which Alex stubbornly doesn't return. “I’m sorry Alex...” Alex rolls his eyes at Jack, and says, “Yeah whatever, later.” and they part ways.

~*~ATL~*~

"I can't believe I'm about to do this." Jack sighs. It's pitch black outside and he's sitting in a tree outside Alicia's house. Her window is open, and it's so close that Jack doesn't even have to reach far to touch it. He needs to talk to her, he knew he wouldn't sleep tonight if he didn’t, and since she wouldn't answer this was the only way he knew how to reach her...
He climbs through the window, landing on the carpeted floors with a gentle thud. Inside, it was dark except for a small reading light attached to Alicia's journal. She must've fell asleep writing; the pen was still in her hand but she was laying down, breathing softly. Jack smiles as he sat on her bed, loving the innocent look on her face as she slept. It reminded him of when they were kids and didn't understand a whole lot about the world.
Jack, unsure of what to do now, looks down at the light splaying across the white page of the notebook. In green pen, Alicia's favorite color to write with, she had written a short letter. And it was to Jack.
Jack wasn't fond of reading, and even though it was barely a page he skims it. Basically, it said she was sorry, it was a stupid fight which admittedly it was, and that she missed him. The end-y part he read, because she started saying a lot of sweet stuff about Jack, though he could tell he probably wasn't supposed to be reading it. It makes him smile and he has the sudden urge to kiss her. His eyes slide over to her, who's still sleeping soundly beside him. Without thinking, he leans over and kisses her, running his hand through her soft hair. At first she seems lifeless, until slowly her lips starting pressing against his. Her eyes open then, realizing what's happening and pushes Jack away screaming "HELP ME!!! CREEPY RAPIST IN MY ROOM AHHHHH!!!!!" She quickly grabs her notebook and starts smacking him with it while still yelling like a banshee. "Alicia! It's only me! It's Jack! Stop hitting me!" Jack yells, his hands up blocking her motions. "Jack?! What the FUCK are you doing in my room?! How did you even get in here?!" she demands, her voice still raised.
“You know, through the window, it was easier than I expected actually...we need to talk.” He whispers, changing the subject. “So you had to break into my room so we could talk?!” Alicia fumes, looking at him like hes crazy. “Well you wouldn’t answer my texts or my calls! What was I supposed to do? I feel really bad about it, I haven’t slept since this happened, please, just hear me out.” Jack pleads, reaching out toward her. She moves back quickly but says, “Fine. Start talking.” Jack gives a sigh of relief, knowing that he has a chance to finally get through to her. “Alicia, I really didn’t mean to hurt you like that, but Alex and I started writing that song together and it was starting to sound really good but we needed the bass and drums and Alex can sing, really really well, before I knew it I was totally on board, but now...I’m sorry. It’s my fault for not really thinking about your reaction. I kind of...forgot and the worst part is it was kind of my idea... And I’m sorry. Really, truly, sorry. I didn’t think you’d care this much anyways. ” “You didn’t think I’d care? Of course I care! It’s been my dream since we were in fourth grade and we took guitar lessons together...I thought it was OUR dream. I thought we’d be in a band together and then somehow, someday we’d make it, and then we’d be together and live happily ever after touring the world...But I guess things change, you never know what’s gonna happen...it was stupid anyways, I don’t know why I ever expected that to happen, we were just kids...” Alicia crosses arms in front of her chest and looks away from Jack, blinking away tears. It was still a touchy subject apparently. “I know, and I wish I had told you, not Rian...and it’s just a band, it’s not like All Time Low is gonna be like, super popular or anything...but, you and I, we’re still like, uh, together right? Because I still want to be if you do...” Jack trails, inching closer to Alicia even though he feels kind of stupid for asking. He had no idea where he stood with her right then. Alicia looks away, pulling her arms around herself tighter. “I’d really like that Jacky.”
Jack smiles, feeling so relieved. Things really did work out, Alex was totally right. Alex... Jack stops for a moment as Alex comes to mind, but he quickly pushes the thoughts away. Right now it was about Jack and Alicia, not Alex. He can talk to Alex later, he’ll probably end up telling him all about this little adventure here. But for now, all his attention is hers.
Alicia meets Jack’s eyes and whispers “I need a hug.” Jack takes her into his arms, pressing her against his chest as he gently strokes her hair. “I’ll always be here for you, no matter what. Don’t ever worry about it.” Jack says softly. “I’ll never doubt you. I’m sorry.” She replies, and for a long, long while, they stay in each others embrace.

~*~ATL~*~

Alex watches Jack drive out of the parking lot, narrowly missing a street lamp and driving over the curb as he goes. Alex sighs heavily and stirs the dredges of his chocolate shake. “Hey do you guys wanna go play video games at my house for awhile?” He asks, not really wanting to be alone, wishing he had something to distract him from Jack and Alicia’s stupid relationship problems. “Uhhh actually Alex... me and Zack were gonna go midnight bowling actually... But if you want we can come over instead.” Hannah says timidly, half expecting Alex to freak out. “Oh no, no you guys go on your date, just no canoodling in public!” he says, half laughing, but still leveling a touch-her-and-die look at Zack. “So Rian, you in? Pwetty pwease come pway wiff me?” He then asks, turning his big puppy dog eyes on Rian. Rian pretends to think a minute before laughing and caving to Alex’s adorableness, “Yeah, lets go and leave these lovebirds to their bowling. But seriously Zack, she’s gonna kick your ass.” Rian tells Zack. “Yeah right, I’m the master commander at bowling.” Zack laughs. Hannah’s eyebrows shoot up, “Oh yeah? We’ll see about that. Let’s go. See you guys later!” She grabs Zack by the wrist and drags him away while Rian gives him a sympathetic look and Alex laughs. Once they go, Alex and Rian say goodbye to Evan, leave Flyzik on the Wall and drive back to Alex’s house. Alex lets them in and they head up to his room, flopping onto the floor and starting to play XBox.
Alex is having a really off video game night and Rian notices he’s not all there. Once he finishes kicking Alex’s ass for the fourth time in a row he pauses the game and looks at his friend, “Alex, what’s wrong?” Alex doesn’t look directly at Rian, “Wrong? Nothing, I’m fine.” “Alex...” Rian says threateningly. “Nothing! I’m fine! I'm just having an off game night.” “Alex, you NEVER have off game nights, you’re the master gamer, no matter what. And I’m not stupid, I know somethings wrong. You can tell me. I might even be able to help.” Rian continues to pry, poking Alex with his foot. “I... uh... Yeah, okay...” Alex finally relents, sighing heavily, his breath shaky. What if Rian doesn’t approve of me being gay? What if he tells everyone and won’t talk to me anymore? Oh God, oh God... Alex thinks frantically; the blood drains from his face. Snap out of it idiot, this is RIAN, he’s like your brother, he won’t care, just TELL HIM. “Uh okay Rian I have uh... a... confession to make... Well, I guess I’ll just say it then... I’m... I’m... I’mgayandIhaveacrushonJack.” Alex finally blurts out, then slaps both of his hands over his mouth, instantly regretting telling him. Rian doesn’t say anything at first, his eyebrows just furrow and he appears to be thinking very, very hard. Finally he says, “Soooo you’re upset because Jack is all worked up about Alicia.” Alex’s jaw basically hits the floor, “Wait... youe’r... you're not mad?” “Why would I be mad? You’re still Alex, you just have a crush on a dude, so?” “Oh... Well, yeah that’s why I’m upset... I just... I wish they weren’t together, at least I could try to maybe persuade Jack to go out with me... but he’s not even gay so I probably wouldn’t matter but... I just wish... I could make him happy and all Alicia does is make him miserable, I just wish I could have a chance... What do you think I should do?” Alex asks timidly. “Well, being the good influence I am, I’d say you should talk to Jack about it but... well, while we’re telling things, I have a crush on Alicia like, BIG TIME, I’d GLADLY take her outta this little love triangle thing you got going...” “So what you're suggesting is...?” “Let’s break them up.” Alex thinks about the suggestion for a second before a wide grin appears on his face. “Okay, how are we gonna go about this?” He agrees. Rian’s grin is as mischievous as Alex’s is. “Have you got a pad of paper and a pen?” Alex nods and grabs a legal pad from his desk and a pen and hands it to Rian who starts scribbling down plans and diagrams saying as he writes, “Okay, now here’s what we’ll do...”
♠ ♠ ♠
YO! PEOPLE! GUESS WHAT?! We had a creepy stalker hack into our docs account at 2 AM and Alicia freaked out! I was beeping that dude out so bad in my head and then we realized it was just me. Yep, that seriously happened. Oh, and a thanks to Chandler Bing from Friends for the lovely word “canoodling” and many, MANY other references and also a thanks to Olan Rogers for “the master commander.” We don’t own Chandler, Friends or Olan, along with not owning All Time Low or anything related. We DO however own the name Telescopic Zoom (well, I made it up so that means i own it right?) so don’t steal it bro. >:-| Thanks to everyone who commented on our last chapter, I LOOOOOVE YOUUUUUU!!!! Keep those comments comin’ or I’ll have a unicorn impale you. xoxoHannah
OH AND PS!! WE STARTED YUCKY HIGH SCHOOL AGAIN! Boo. It makes me sad. Never take AP European History. Just don’t. Trust us. We don’t know how often we’ll be able to update but for now we’re trying to every Saturday night, so keep reading and bear with us. Thanks! :D