(Hmong) Ghost Tales

Adopted Daughter

This is a story I heard from my cousin [May]. On her way to Milwaukee, May, her boyfriend, and two other guy friends (one was driving and the other one was in the back seat with May). The four of them got bored and they began telling ghost stories.

The guy who sat in the back with May began telling the story about his uncle's adopted child from Laos--[Sia]. Sia was Hmong and an orphan before she was adopted and brought to the US. During her stay at the family's house, she would always play in the basement, and always clung to this pillar. Even though the family had other children, Sia would never play with them when in the basement. By herself, she would cling onto the pillar--singing, hugging and kissing it.

After the family had Sia baptized, they held a little feast where friends and family were to come over. Sia's adoptive father came down into the basement where Sia and some other children were playing and told them to head upstairs. As all the children hurried upstairs, Sia remained behind clinging onto the pillar.

"Sia, we have to go upstairs," her adoptive father said to her. But she shook her head and said that she wanted to stay in the basement and play some more. He simply told her that they had to go upstairs, and once the feast is over she can come back down to play.

Eventually, she agreed and headed upstairs.

The feast had taken longer than anyone had expected, and soon Sia wanted to return back downstairs. However, her adoptive father said that she couldn't go back downstairs until the feast was over. Irritated, she went to her adoptive mother and asked if she could go back downstairs and play. Her adoptive mother said that the feast wasn't over, so she'll have to wait. Not to mention, there was no one downstairs.

Sia shook her head. She then told her adoptive mother that her mother was downstairs.

Her adoptive mother asked her what she meant.

"My mom is downstairs," Sia replied. "She came here with me when I came to the states. She's calling me to come back downstairs and play with her."

Sia's adoptive mother became scared. She then told Sia to go play with the other children and to not go downstairs by herself.

Before running off, Sia looked at her adoptive mother and said, "Mom says she doesn't like you."

At this point, May was already scared. She had thought her friend's story was over, but then he added that his sister went to their uncle's house shortly after and met Sia. He said his sister's encounter with Sia was pleasant until the very end.

"May, since you're the only girl in here," May's friend said, "let me demonstrate using you."

Unsure of what her friend was going to do, May agreed.

He then reached over and parted May's hair. He then crossed them over the front of her neck and said, "Sia did this and said to my sister: 'This is how my mom died'."