Sequel: Come What May

Poison and Wine

The Rescue

*Derek’s POV*

“Something’s wrong,” Derek said from where he and Peter stood on the roof of the school. Isaac was climbing the ladder back up to rejoin them.

“What do you mean?” Isaac asked, walking forward. “I can hear Jackson’s heartbeat and Lydia’s. They’re still in there.”

“I know that but I can’t hear Hailey’s,” Derek said. “Or Allison’s for that matter.”

“There are hundreds of heartbeats in there right now,” Peter said.

“You think I don’t know the sound of my girlfriend’s heartbeat?” Derek asked, his own heartbeat beginning to race as he paced across the roof. “Where is she?”

“She and Allison were heading to the bathroom when I left,” Isaac said even though both Derek and Peter had been able to hear that part of the conversation. Derek reached out into his pocket and pulled out his cellphone for easier communication with Scott.

Derek?” Scott asked, answering the phone.

“Are the girls back yet?” Derek asked.

No. Can’t you hear their heartbeats?

“No,” Derek said and he heard Scott and Stiles as they ran down the hallway towards the bathroom. “Scott, talk.”

They’re not here. Derek, they’re not in the bathroom,” Scott said and he could hear Stiles panicking in the background.

“What’s this?” Peter asked, walking over to the front of the building and looking down to the parking lot. Derek and Isaac followed to see someone struggling with something to get into a black car before speeding away.

“It was all to hype us up,” Derek said softly.

What?” Scott asked as Peter and Isaac also said it beside him.

“Jackson going over to the bleachers. That wasn’t the plan. It was to work us up. To think there’d be time between that attempt and a second one. Scott, you and Stiles need to go back to the gym and see if Jackson and Lydia are still there.”

Already on it,” Scott said. “They’re… oh God, Derek they’re not here.

“Look,” Isaac said, pointing down to the parking lot. Derek saw Lydia and Jackson rushing out to Jackson’s car, Lydia moving quickly for someone with a sprained ankle. Jackson looked up towards the roof and grinned when he caught eyes with Derek.

“Meet us outside. Now,” Derek said before hanging up and shoving his phone in his pocket. He agilely jumped from the roof to the ground, Peter and Isaac following him.

“What the fuck is going on?” Scott shouted as he and Stiles rushed down the front steps of the school.

“We just saw Jackson and Lydia leave,” Isaac explained as they headed towards their cars. “We saw someone else speed away a few minutes before.”

“He wants us to follow him,” Derek said, flinging open the door of the Camaro and sliding in.

“Derek, I’ll drive,” Isaac said, keeping the door open and putting his hand on Derek’s shoulder. Derek took a few deep breaths to calm down before nodding his head and climbing out, handing Isaac the keys.

“We’ll follow you guys in the Jeep,” Stiles said, jumping in and Derek nodded.

“I’ll track them,” Peter said, opening his window in the backseat and leaning out it.

****

Hailey groaned as she opened her eyes and they attempted to adjust to the dim lights. There was tape tight over her mouth and when she tried to move she realized it was around her wrists and ankles as well. Starting to panic she looked around and saw Allison tied up right next to her. Allison’s eyes widened when Hailey looked at her and she gestured with her head to the wall perpendicular to the one they were slouched against.

Hailey turned her head to see her parents and Aaron also tied up. Her mother had tears in her eyes and started making panicked noises when she saw that Hailey had come to. Aaron’s face was red and he was struggling while Jason was attempting to twist his wrists enough to get them free. A tear fell down Hailey’s face and she squeezed her eyes shut. Where are you Derek? She thought.

“Oh good, you’re awake,” Lydia said, a smile on her face. “Jackson will be here in a moment, he’s just… getting ready for the occasion.”

Hailey attempted to speak but since her mouth was taped over all that came out was a strangled mumble. Lydia laughed and walked over to Hailey, bending down to her eye level. She reached out making it look like she was going to peel the tape away but quickly raised her hand back and slapped Hailey hard across the face. Hailey’s head snapped in the direction of the slap and let out a muffled shout. She turned her head back to Lydia breathing heavily her eyes narrowed.

“Sit back, relax. It will all be over soon,” Lydia said, standing up and backing away into the shadows. Hailey turned to Allison whose eyes were as wide as her own. She looked over to her family and all three of them were looking at her with worried expressions. Hailey prayed and hoped that Derek would find them. And find them soon.

****

*Derek’s POV*

“It’s coming up on the right,” Peter said as he slid his window back up. Derek had his hand on the door handle and his left knee was jumping up and down, his fangs already appearing.

“We all need to be careful,” Isaac said, taking a right and pulling up in front of an abandoned apartment building. “Who knows what they’ve got up their sleeves.”

Isaac had barely stopped the car before Derek had flung the door open and jumped out. He busted through the front door and followed Hailey’s scent up three flights of stairs and down a hallway. He transformed right outside of the door her scent led to before slamming into it and shoving his way inside, letting out a growl.

His eyes settled instantly on Hailey whose head snapped up when she heard the intrusion, tears springing to her eyes and her body shaking once she saw Derek. Derek looked around to see Allison next to her, his eyes widening when he saw the rest of the Miner family. Jason, Alyssa, and Aaron all looked at him, their eyes wide in fright as they all attempted to scoot away from him.

Peter, Isaac, Scott, and Stiles soon joined behind him, the other three all in their wolf forms as well and Derek heard Alyssa let out a muffled sob as she looked at the four deformed men in front of her and then Stiles.

“Oh shit,” Stiles said, looking at his friend’s family on the ground next to him. He knelt down to help get the tape off of them but Jason was shaking his head quickly.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you Stilinski,” Jackson growled, appearing in front of them with his electric blue eyes, completely wolfed out.

“Give me a good reason as to why I shouldn’t rip your head off right now,” Derek asked, his body heaving with the deep breaths he was taking.

“Because if you do that, he kills them,” Jackson said, gesturing over his shoulder. Every head turned to see Danny walk forward, a somewhat panicked expression on his face, and a pistol in his hands, raised and ready to shoot.

“Danny,” Scott said, shaking his head. “Danny, don’t do this.”

“He said he’d kill me Scott,” Danny said, his voice shaking. “I have to do it.”

“Did you know? About the werewolves?” Stiles asked.

“Not before tonight,” he said, shaking his head. Lydia came up next to him and patted his stomach.

“Buck up, Danny. Big boys don’t cry,” she said, walking up to Jackson and crossing her arms over her chest.

“It was you,” Derek said and all eyes turned to him. “You kidnapped them all. Jackson couldn’t get Hailey’s family himself so he pulled you into it to do it for him.”

“After all, he is my best friend,” Jackson said assuredly.

“Not after tonight,” Danny said and Jackson turned to him, baring his teeth causing Danny to almost drop the gun.

“Be careful Danny, we wouldn’t want to shoot someone useful now,” Lydia said.

“Why did you want us to follow you?” Derek asked Jackson.

“I wanted you to witness it. Lydia was going to keep you busy while I entertained you.”

“Keep us busy?” Isaac asked. Lydia grinned and walked past Jackson over to a table, lifting up Kate’s old high voltage torture device that she had used the other week in the locker room.

“I don’t think you’ve been introduced to this beauty,” she said, pointing it towards Isaac.

Derek’s eyes widened and he jumped in front of Isaac as Lydia pushed the button causing Derek’s body to spasm in the air before he crashed to the ground, automatically writhing in pain. He could hear Hailey, Allison, and her family all let out muffled screams. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths before Peter and Scott pulled him to his feet.

“Aw you spoiled it,” Lydia pouted. “I love watching someone get hit with it the first time. It’s thrilling.”

“You’re sick, Lydia,” Stiles said sounding disgusted.

“I thought you were in love with me or something,” she said with a laugh.

“Yeah well you’re not who I thought you were.”

“Enough of this,” Jackson said, cracking his neck. “We have business to do. Now… who’s first?”

“You,” Derek growled, lunging forward and digging his claws into Jackson’s side, lifting him up and tossing him across the room where Peter was waiting.

Peter caught Jackson by the arm and twisted it causing Jackson to cry out in pain as it broke. He fell to the ground and immediately grabbed his arm. Lydia jumped towards Peter, ready to electrocute him but Scott was right behind her and grabbed it out of her hands, tossing it to Derek. Derek caught it and snapped it across his knee, breaking it in half.

“Danny!” Jackson shouted, attempting to stand up as his arm healed.

“Danny, don’t!” Derek shouted running over to Danny, his teeth bared. “Give me the gun, Danny. I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Don’t listen to him Danny,” Jackson said before Isaac jumped and kicked him right in the stomach causing him to fly backwards.

Meanwhile Scott was trying to hold Lydia back but he knew he needed to help with Jackson. Stiles saw the duct tape sitting on the table and ran over to get it. He joined Scott and started to tape Lydia up like they had done to Hailey and the others. He did her ankles first, then her wrists. He stood up fully and looked her straight in the eye, a smile on her face.

“What are you so happy about?” Stiles asked, ripping a piece of tape off to put over her mouth.

“You’ll know soon,” she said. Stiles rolled his eyes and smacked the tape across her lips.

“I’ve got her,” he said, hooking his arm under hers letting Scott go to take care of Jackson while Derek kept trying to get the gun from Danny.

“Danny please,” Derek pleaded. “Hailey and Allison are your friends too. For Christ’s sake her brother is nine, Danny. Nine!”

“I can’t,” Danny said, tears in his eyes, his whole body shaking.

“He won’t kill you Danny, I promise,” Derek said, reaching out for the gun. Jackson cried out as Scott broke one of his legs causing Danny to look at him.

“Okay,” Danny whispered, his fingers slipping away from the gun, letting it fall into Derek’s hands.

“Get out of here,” Derek said urgently, taking the magazine out of the gun and tossing it to Stiles. Danny wasted no time in running out of the room, leaving the building.

“Big mistake Hale,” Jackson said, kicking his leg out against Scott and Isaac’s ankles causing them to fall backwards.

“And why is that?” Derek asked, motioning to Peter to back off letting Jackson stand.

“Danny may have given in to you but he’s still going to listen to me,” he said with a smirk.

“What the fuck does that even mean?” Peter asked, looking between Jackson and his nephew.

“It means Jackson has a back-up plan,” Derek said through his teeth.

“Now if you don’t mind,” Jackson said, lunging over to Hailey. He was able to kneel down in front of her before Derek was behind him, grabbing him by the neck, squeezing tight and throwing him into the back wall.

“Face it Jackson, it’s four against one. Give up,” Scott said as the four of them cornered him. Just then the five of them heard sirens in the distance.

“Stiles, get them out of that tape, now,” Derek said over his shoulder.

“What’s wrong?” Stiles asked.

“It seems like the backup plan Jackson had was for Danny to call your father,” Peter said and Stiles’ eyes widened.

“Shit,” he said, using his car keys as a knife as he started to cut Jason free. “I haven’t told my Dad yet, he can’t find out about you guys this way.”

“I think it’s what Jackson wanted,” Isaac said and Jackson grinned.

“They’re getting closer Stiles,” Scott said in a slight panic.

“I’m sorry I don’t have supernatural abilities such as really sharp claws or teeth,” Stiles said, finally getting Jason’s wrists free and moving to his ankles. Jason reached up and ripped the tape from his lips.

“What the hell is going on?” he shouted causing all heads to turn to him.

“Mr. Miner,” Derek said with a sigh but Jason held his hand up.

“No, not you,” Jason said, still freaked out by the odd features on Derek and the other four. “Stiles.”

“I’m just going to wait on that since I’ll have to explain it to my father and the whole rest of the Beacon Hills Sheriff’s department in about five minutes,” Stiles said.

“Two minutes,” Peter said.

“I stand corrected,” Stiles said. “This isn’t going to happen guys.”

“It’s alright Stiles,” Scott said. “We’d help you but…”

“No I know I just wish I had a freaking pair of scissors,” he said, letting out a sigh of relief when he finally got Jason’s ankles free.

“One minute,” Isaac said and Stiles moved over to Alyssa as Jason stood and went over to Hailey and Allison, ripping the tape from their mouths before moving over to Aaron.

“You have a lot of explaining to do young lady,” he said to Hailey.

“He just saved our lives Dad,” she said, her eyes locked on Derek’s.

“Thirty seconds,” Scott whispered, by now the sound of the sirens was clear and they could see the lights coming in through the windows.

“What’s going to happen?” Allison asked in a panic.

“I don’t know,” Derek whispered, his eyes on Hailey.

“Change back,” Hailey whispered.

“I tried. I can’t,” he said in defeat as they heard shouts coming from below them. Everyone stopped moving and looked towards the door.

“Well, it’s been fun,” Jackson said, darting between Scott and Isaac, grabbing Lydia, and jumping through one of the windows.

“Follow him! Just go!” Hailey shouted.

“Not without you,” Derek said, moving towards her to cut the tape with his claws.

“Freeze!” Sheriff Stilinski shouted, gun held up and pointed towards Derek while some of his deputies followed behind him pointing their guns at Scott, Isaac, and Peter. “Stiles?”

“Hey… Dad…” Stiles said, standing up once he got Alyssa’s wrists free and giving his Dad a small wave.

“What…. What the hell is going on here? Scott? Is that you?” he asked and Scott nodded his head.

“Hi,” Scott said, raising his arm and the deputy pointing to him stepped forward a bit.

“Dad I’ll explain in a minute but you can’t hurt them. They didn’t do this.”

“That’s not what that Mahealani kid said,” the Sheriff said, looking from one of the werewolves to the next, all of them looking at him.

“And you’re going to believe him over your own son?”

“Stiles I only know what I’ve been told now get out of here!” Sheriff Stilinski said sternly.

“I’m not leaving my friends,” he said, moving over to stand in front of Scott.

“Lower your weapons,” Sheriff Stilinski ordered. His deputies looked at each other but kept their guns raised. “Now!”

“Can we cut them free and then I’ll explain?” Stiles asked, gesturing to Alyssa, Aaron, Hailey, and Allison.

“Here,” he said, handing his son his Swiss Army Knife.

Stiles opened it up and moved back to Alyssa to cut her ankles free. Suddenly Derek moved forward to cut Hailey free and one of the deputies, acting on impulse, pulled his gun up. One. Two. Three. Four shots.

“No!” Hailey screamed, wriggling on the floor as Derek fell to his knees in front of her, blood pouring from his mouth.

“Lower your gun now!” the Sheriff shouted at his deputy who put his arm down. “Get him out of here!”

“Derek!” Hailey shouted, tears streaming down her face. “Stiles! Somebody! Cut me free now!”

“Don’t move,” Scott said, bending down to slice through the tape quickly. Once he got her free her body lunged forward and she turned Derek over onto his back.

“We need to get him to Deaton! He can’t heal with the bullets in him,” she sobbed as Derek struggled to breathe, blood pooling underneath him.

“I can feel it,” he said sounding weak. “You need to hurry.”

“Carry him to the Jeep,” she said, keeping a hand on his cheek. Peter and Isaac picked him up and he shouted in pain. “Be gentle!”

“Come on Hails,” Stiles said, helping her up.

“Oh you’re not going anywhere,” Jason said stepping in front of her.

“Dad! I’ll explain later! Please just let me go, he can’t heal like that!”

“He was shot Hailey! He’s not going to heal!” he said, putting his hands on her shoulders and looking her in the eyes.

“Let me go,” she said, pushing him away and shoving past the deputies.

“Jason, don’t,” Alyssa said, pulling him back.

“Where are you taking him again?” Sheriff Stilinski asked, following his son and Hailey down the stairs quickly.

“Deaton,” Stiles answered.

“The vet?”

“I promise we will all sit down and have a nice chat about everything but we really need to go. You take the Miner’s and Allison home. Allison and her Dad know everything so don’t worry about her. Stay with the Miner’s, calm them down, this hopefully won’t take long,” he said, leading Hailey outside.

“Come on!” Isaac shouted from the backseat of the Jeep where he and Peter had Derek across their laps.

“Wait,” Hailey said, spotting the deputy who had shot Derek sitting on the hood of one of the cars, the one who led him outside standing next to him. Hailey walked up to him, a determined look on her face and she slapped him hard across the face. “That’s for shooting my boyfriend.”

“Hailey let’s go,” Stiles said, grabbing her hand and leading her to the Jeep. “Nice slap by the way, I always hated that guy. He’s such a douchebag.”

“Shut up and drive Stiles,” she said, turning in her seat to look at Derek, reaching out to take his bloodied hand in hers, tears dripping down her face.

“Isaac can you call Deaton and give him a heads up?” Stiles asked as he sped out of the parking lot.

“I already did,” he said, looking down at Derek. “He said to hurry before the bullet wounds heal over or it will be more difficult.”

“And how are we doing with that?” Stiles asked.

“Not too good,” Peter answered as Derek groaned.

“It’s okay,” Hailey whispered, squeezing his hand. Derek opened his eyes and turned his head to look at her.

“So how much does your Dad hate me?” he asked, wincing in pain.

“That’s to be determined,” she said with a slight laugh. “Goddamn Danny.”

“It’s not his fault. He was scared,” Derek said.

“I know,” she said. “But still.”

“Some Homecoming, huh?” Derek asked with a slight laugh.

“It could have been better,” she said, shrugging her shoulders. She reached her free hand up to her face and wiped her tears away telling herself that Derek was going to be okay. Deaton was going to get the bullets out so Derek wouldn’t be in pain whenever he moved the rest of his life and everything was going to be okay. However, the thought that Jackson was still out there had her stomach churning.
♠ ♠ ♠
THANK YOU to the people who have commented. I got an incredibly sweet comment last night and it helped motivate me! See what you can do?? What are your thoughts on this chapter??
I think this story will be wrapping up soon (awwww) BUT... I think I have ideas for a sequel (yayyy) so just keep your fingers crossed! :)
~Steph xo