Sequel: Come What May

Poison and Wine

Werewolves, Kanimas, and Hunters... Oh My!

“Why’s it taking so long?” Hailey asked, Stiles’ jacket wrapped around her as she leaned into his chest. She looked over to the door separating them from the examination room where Deaton was currently pulling the bullets out of Derek’s chest. She flinched as she heard Derek shout out in pain.

“As long as you can hear him everything’s okay. It’s when Derek’s quiet that one starts to worry,” Stiles said, looking up when the main door opened to see Allison, her father and Scott following behind her.

“We came as soon as we explained everything to the others,” Allison said, meaning the other hunters. “Is he okay?”

“He’s still back there with Deaton and Isaac,” she said.

“Where’s Peter?” Scott asked.

“He’s supposed to be keeping watch outside,” Stiles said. “Didn’t you smell him?”

“My senses are on overload dude,” Scott said. “I’m going to go see if they need help.”

“Derek’s strong Hailey. And Deaton knows what he’s doing. He’ll be okay,” Allison said, taking the seat on the other side of Hailey and grabbing her hand.

“That’s what Stiles keeps saying but he’s been back there a long time,” she said, a tear leaking out.

“He started healing in the car. Deaton has to re-open the wounds and who knows how deep they went,” Stiles explained and Hailey nodded her head against his chest.

“I just want to take him home,” she sobbed. “My family must be freaking out.”

“Yeah my Dad too,” Stiles said, nodding his head.

“Do you want me to go over there and explain?” Chris asked and Hailey shook her head.

“We need to do it. Thank you though,” she said and he nodded his head.

“I understand.”

“Hailey,” Isaac said, poking his head out the doorway. “You can come in now.”

“Oh thank god,” she said, jumping up and rushing over. Isaac pulled the door open for her and she slowly walked in.

Derek was lying on the metal table, his arms at his sides and blood all over his chest. He slowly rolled his head in her direction and attempted to sit up. Deaton pushed him back down as Scott walked over with a bowl of water and started wiping the blood off of his chest.

“Derek,” she whispered, more tears falling. She walked over and brought her hand to his head, smoothing his hair back as his eyes closed.

“Sorry I scared you,” he said, strain in his voice as his eyes fluttered open to look at her.

“I’m just glad you’re okay,” she said, a smile appearing on her face.

“That makes two of us,” he said with a laugh.

“Scott, I’ll do that,” she said, reaching out for the cloth. Scott handed it over along with the bowl of water and she began to wipe the rest of the blood off of Derek’s body.

“Where is everybody?” Derek asked.

“My family is home with Stiles’ Dad and they’re all probably freaking out. Peter’s outside keeping an eye out and the others are in the waiting room,” Hailey explained and Derek nodded his head.

“Do you think we should all go to your house or just you, me, and Stiles?”

“Probably just the three of us. But we’ll tell them about the others,” she said and Derek nodded.

“That’s probably for the best.”

“Hailey, Derek mentioned the other week that you’re interested in learning how to part the ash line around your house,” Deaton said when he was done putting his supplies away.

“Yes I am, especially now,” Hailey said, nodding her head.

“Well whenever you’re ready, I’ll be here.”

“Thank you,” she said and Deaton nodded his head in return.

“Once you’re done cleaning him up you’re good to go. And… good luck with your family,” he said, a slight grin on his face.

“We’re gonna need it,” Hailey said, letting out a nervous laugh.

****

“So I don’t know which of us is more scared to go in,” Stiles said, parking the car in front of Hailey’s house and looking ahead to his father’s car.

“Pretty sure it’s me,” Hailey said, looking up at him from where she and Derek sat in the backseat.

“Hi, I’ve been keeping werewolves a secret from my Dad for a little over a year now. You’ve only been keeping it for a month.”

“Yeah but you haven’t been dating one of the said werewolves,” she said and he cocked his head to the side.

“Good point,” he said, taking a deep breath. “Ready?”

“It’s now or never,” Derek said, folding down the passenger’s front seat and pushing the door open.

“Oh boy,” Hailey said, climbing out of the Jeep, her heart racing. Stiles crouched down and parted the ash line and closed it as soon as Derek was on the other side.

“Let’s do this,” Stiles said, nodding his head at Hailey and Derek and leading the way to the front door. He stood to the side as Hailey pushed it open and looked to her left to see her family in the living room with Sheriff Stilinski in dead silence.

“How… what… you should be laying in a hospital bed with a tube down your throat,” Alyssa said, standing up and looking at Derek in shock. She made to move forward to hug Hailey but Jason stood and put his arm in front of her.

“Stay back, Alyssa,” he said sternly, his eyes on Derek.

“I think it’s time you three sat down to explain what just happened to us,” Sheriff Stilinski said and Jason shook his head.

“Hailey and Stiles only. He can stand there with your gun pointed at him,” Jason said.

“Dad,” Hailey sighed and Jason turned to her, pointing a finger.

“No. You start from the beginning and then I’ll make up my mind,” he said and Hailey closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Okay,” Hailey said. She looked at Derek and he squeezed her hand gently before letting go. She walked over to the couch and sat down, Stiles and Aaron on either side of her while her parents sat back down, turning their chairs to face them, the Sheriff following suit.

“So, who wants to start?” Jason asked, leaning forward on his knees and clapping his hands together.

“Well really Derek should but I’ll just assume you’re not going to let him talk,” Stiles said and Jason pursed his lips. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“Stiles you go, like you said you’ve known for a year,” Hailey said and Sheriff Stilinski’s head snapped to his son.

“You’ve known for a year?” he asked incredulously.

“Yeah… so… you know all those mountain lion killings over the past year?” Stiles asked using air quotes when he said mountain lion and his father nodded. “Yeah, not a mountain lion.”

“Then what was it?” the Sheriff asked.

“Well, first it was a werewolf… then a Kanima… and now it’s a werewolf again.”

“Werewolf?” Alyssa asked.

“Is that what that thing was that tried to attack me?” Aaron asked, eyes wide. Hailey flinched and looked at her parents.

“You were attacked?” Jason shouted, standing up.

“When did this happen?” Alyssa asked breathlessly, placing her hand over her heart.

“A few weeks ago. Hailey told me not to tell you guys,” Aaron answered.

“Gee thanks,” Hailey said sarcastically.

“You attacked my son?” Jason asked, looking at Derek.

“Dad it wasn’t Derek!” Hailey shouted furiously.

“Derek saved my life!” Aaron shouted back and all three parents turned their attention to him.

“Then who attacked you?” Alyssa asked as Jason slowly sat back down.

“I don’t know,” he said, shrugging his shoulders and turning to Hailey.

“Jackson Whittemore,” she whispered and Sheriff Stilinski put his head in his hands.

“Okay, before we start naming names… can we first explain what the hell a Kanima is?” the Sheriff asked.

“That’s all on Stiles and Derek,” Hailey said and all eyes were on the two boys.

“A Kanima is this creepy ass reptilian like thing that is controlled by someone else… to kill people. It secretes a venom that causes temporary paralysis from the neck down,” Stiles explained.

“Do we know who this Kanima is?” the Sheriff asked.

“Jackson,” Derek answered.

“So Jackson attacked Aaron as this Kanima thing?” Jason asked and Derek and Stiles both shook their heads.

“Jackson attacked Aaron as a werewolf,” Derek said causing confusion.

“So he’s not a Kanima anymore,” Sheriff Stilinski said.

“Right,” Stiles said. “He’s been a werewolf for the past few months.”

“How did he become a werewolf?” Alyssa asked, her voice shaking with fright. It was silent as Hailey, Stiles, and Derek all looked at each other.

“Answer your mother,” Jason said sternly looking at Hailey. Hailey bit her lip and shook her head.

“I bit him,” Derek said quietly and Jason huffed. “But after I bit him is when he became the Kanima and then we killed him but he came back as a werewolf somehow.”

“And how did you become… a werewolf?” Jason asked, not looking Derek in the eye.

“I was born one.”

“You were born a werewolf?” Aaron asked in awe and Derek curtly nodded his head. “Awesome.”

“Aaron,” Jason said and Aaron quickly looked down and was quiet.

“Yes, most of my family were born wolves but some of us were normal. But that didn’t matter when they burned the house down with the rest of my family inside,” Derek said through his teeth.

“When who burned it down?” Alyssa asked softly.

“Hunters,” he said.

“Not just any hunters. Werewolf hunters,” Stiles quickly interjected.

“Are there hunters here in Beacon Hills?” Sheriff Stilinski asked.

“Chris Argent…. And any friends of his,” Stiles said.

“And Allison,” Hailey said and Sheriff Stilinski’s eyes went wide. “But none of them had to do with the fire. That was K-… Mr. Argent’s sister.”

“So how come they haven’t killed you yet?” Jason asked and Hailey furrowed her eyebrows.

“Dad!” she exclaimed and he shook his head.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” he said looking at her, eyes soft.

“Well don’t tell me that,” she said, pointing to Derek. Jason huffed again and looked in Derek’s general direction.

“I apologize,” he hissed.

“I’m still alive because we have a pact. They only kill one of us if we kill a human,” Derek said.

“Well they’re not doing a very good job taking care of that,” Sheriff Stilinski said. “I don’t know how many more times we can say it was some sort of animal attack.”

“It’s a little difficult, Dad,” Stiles said. “We found out Jackson’s trying to start a pack of his own but he’s… defective… for lack of a better word. Whoever he bites, dies.”

“So do you have your own pack?” the Sheriff asked Derek who nodded. “I think it’s time for those names now.”

“Obviously there’s my Uncle Peter. He was the reason for the first few deaths last year but he’s stopped that now,” Derek said. “Then there’s Scott and Isaac Lahey. Vernon Boyd and Erica Reyes were also involved but we don’t know where they went.”

“What do you mean?” Alyssa asked.

“A few months ago they wanted to go out on their own, find others, and we never heard from them again,” Stiles said.

“How did they become werewolves?” Jason asked.

“That uh… would be me again,” Derek said, raising his hand slightly. “Except Scott, that wasn’t me.”

“Peter bit him,” Stiles said.

“Does Melissa know about Scott?” the Sheriff asked, running a hand over his face.

“Yes. A few months ago when we had that whole ordeal at the station… that was when Jackson was the Kanima. Remember Matt? He was the one controlling him,” Stiles explained. “Mrs. McCall saw Scott and Derek after Matt knocked you out cold.”

“Why did you keep this from me?” he asked. Hailey noticed he sounded almost… sad.

“Because I wanted to protect you, Dad,” Stiles said, his voice breaking slightly.

“And you thought keeping me in the dark was the best way of doing that?”

“Yes?” Stiles said meekly.

“Trust me I know where Stiles is coming from,” Hailey said, putting her hand on Stiles’ knee. “It’s the same reason why I didn’t tell my family. I’d rather they stay naïve to it all than constantly worry about what’s going to happen next like I do.”

“Is there anyone else involved in all of this? How does the Mahealani kid tie in?” Sheriff Stilinski asked.

“Danny was just a victim of circumstance. Jackson threatened his life if he didn’t do what Jackson told him to,” Stiles explained.

“And Lydia Martin is helping Jackson. Apparently she’s immune to the Bite,” Hailey said, furrowing her eyebrows. “Though I still don’t understand that.”

“So when she was in the hospital a few months ago and disappeared in the woods… she had been bitten?” the Sheriff asked.

“By Peter,” Derek said, nodding his head. “But nothing happened to her. She was also immune to the Kanima venom.”

“So what happens now?” Alyssa asked.

“Unfortunately... it looks like we’re going to have to figure out a way to… kill Jackson,” Hailey said slowly. “I didn’t want to. Underneath it all he’s still just a teenager but after what happened tonight… he can’t stay alive.”

“How do we do that?” Sheriff Stilinski asked, looking at Derek.

“Well… there’s the brutal way and there’s the more… humane way,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“What’s the brutal way?” Jason asked and Derek hesitated.

“Um… cutting his body in half at the waist,” he said and Hailey and Alyssa both cringed.

“Gross,” Aaron said, amusement in his voice.

“And the… humane way?” the Sheriff asked, clearing his throat.

“Wolfsbane bullets,” Derek and Stiles said at the same time.

“You realize I’ll have to get the whole department in on this,” the Sheriff said and Derek nodded his head. “There’s going to be a lot of tension.”

“I promise you the rest of us are controlled. We’re no threat to the town,” Derek said and Sheriff Stilinski nodded.

“I understand. It’s getting them to that will be the hard part,” he said.

“We’re all going to have to work together,” Derek said. “The pack, the hunters, and the department. We’ll have to strategize, supply you all with bullets.”

“What do we do with Lydia?” Stiles asked and everyone turned to him.

“I don’t know yet,” Derek said quietly.

“We can’t really say she’s accessory to murder since you say Jackson never intended to kill those people,” the Sheriff said.

“What were they going to do with us anyway?” Alyssa asked.

“Jackson was going to bite us and hope we would turn,” Hailey said. “Though given his record I think it would have gone differently.”

“Even though Jackson escaped with Lydia it’s a good thing that Danny called the department and you all showed up. I don’t know how long we could have held him back,” Derek said. “He’s strong for someone so new.”

“This is a lot to take in,” Alyssa said.

“Which is why I think I can tell everyone at the department tomorrow. Stiles, we should go,” Sheriff Stilinski said, standing up.

“Uh yeah… so uh… I’m not in trouble or anything?” Stiles asked and the Sheriff laughed.

“I’ll think about it,” he said, walking over and shaking hands with Hailey’s parents.

“Thank you, Stiles,” Hailey said, standing up and wrapping her arms around his neck. “Looks like I owe ya one, again.”

“Anytime Hails,” he said, pulling away from the hug and giving Aaron a fist bump. Stiles and the Sheriff continued to say goodbye to the Miners and Hailey turned her eyes to Derek. She wanted to go over to him, to hug him, but she knew things were still unresolved with her father.

“Derek,” the Sheriff said, sticking his hand out for Derek to shake. “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Yes sir,” Derek said, nodding his head. “Goodnight.”

“C’mon Stiles,” the Sheriff said, opening the front door for Stiles.

“Uh one second, Derek um… can’t leave if we go,” Stiles said and his father raised an eyebrow.

“What?”

“I put an ash line around the house so no werewolves could get into the house unless I parted the line first so if we leave Derek’s stuck here and I don’t know if that’s really a good idea… yet…” Stiles said, looking over at Jason and Alyssa. Hailey looked too and saw her mother looking at Jason, her head tilted towards Derek.

“I think it’s alright if he stays,” Alyssa said and Hailey’s eyes widened.

“Aly,” Jason said with a sigh.

“Jason, we’ve barely talked to him to understand all of this. I think he and Hailey deserve a chance to speak to us,” she said and Jason crossed his arms and huffed. “He saved our lives, Jay.”

“Fine,” he huffed. “He can stay. For one hour. Then Stiles can come back and let him leave.”

“Dad I’d like him to stay,” she said and Jason shook his head.

“Absolutely not.”

“He’s stayed here before!” she shouted and instantly regretted it, flinching when Jason narrowed his eyes.

“What?” he asked.

“The night I broke my arm. He stayed the night. It’s the only night the past month that I’ve felt completely safe. I’m sure you’d feel safer with him here anyway. Lydia can still come here you know,” she said defensively.

“Let’s just talk first before we make any decisions,” Alyssa said before Jason could speak.

“So… we can go?” Stiles asked, pointing over his shoulder.

“Yes Stiles, you can go,” Hailey said, waiting until the door shut behind him and the Sheriff before going over to Derek. He put one arm around her waist but kept her from hugging him, his eyes on Jason.

“Please, sit down,” Alyssa said, motioning to the couch. Derek nodded and he and Hailey sat on the couch with Aaron, Hailey leaning into Derek, his arm around her shoulders.

“So,” Jason started awkwardly. “You two have been dating for… what… two weeks now?”

“Yes,” Hailey said slowly.

“Well that’s barely a relationship so I think now’s as good a time as any to end it.”

“Excuse me?” Hailey asked, leaning forward in her seat to stare at her father.

“I don’t want you two dating Hailey. He’s a werewolf for Christ’s sake. How do we know he won’t hurt you?” he asked.

“You just have to trust him Dad! You think I didn’t think about all of that?” she asked, Derek’s fingers gently clutching her shoulders to hold her back.

“I don’t care how much you’ve thought about it. It was a stupid decision and I’ve been saying that from the start.”

“Thank you, Dad for basically calling me stupid. I really appreciate it. You know, I’m sick of this holier than thou shit just because you’re my father. I know what you’re really on, at least in the beginning, was the age difference. You’re ten years older than Mom!”

“Yes the fact that he’s older than you bothers me but it’s because you are seventeen years old, Hailey. Your mother was in her twenties when I met her. You’re still a child,” he said and Hailey rolled her eyes.

“Jason stop it,” Alyssa said sternly looking at her husband.

“Besides it’s more complicated than all of that! Derek and I can’t just break up,” Hailey scoffed causing her parents to look at her.

“Why not?” Jason asked.

“Derek will explain,” Hailey said, turning to look at him.

“As werewolves we share some of the same tendencies as normal wolves,” Derek said. “And one of them is finding a mate.”

“A mate?” Alyssa asked. “As in one partner for the rest of your lives no matter what happens?”

“Exactly,” Derek said, nodding his head. “The moment I met Hailey I knew things were different from anyone else I had ever met. I felt this… connection to her… almost like a magnetic pull. I needed to be near her, to protect her. Peter explained to me that she was my mate. I told Hailey and she said she needed to think but ultimately it was my decision.”

“What do you mean?” Aaron asked.

“I could choose to be with her forever or… I could have let her go,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“And then you would have been alone?” Alyssa asked and Derek nodded his head.

“So no matter what I say… you’re here forever?” Jason asked.

“Yes,” Derek said and Jason sighed. He ran a hand over his face and closed his eyes for a moment. It was silent as all eyes were on Jason.

“If you ever… and I mean ever hurt her or anyone else in this family I will personally go to the Argent’s house and get some of those bullets and shoot you with them.”

“That’s exactly what I would want you to do,” Derek said causing Jason’s eyes to widen.

“So… he can stay?” Hailey asked and Jason slowly nodded.

“He can stay,” Jason said. “Just for tonight.”

“Are you coming to my game tomorrow?” Aaron asked excitedly.

“That depends on what time Sheriff Stilinski wants me to go to the station,” Derek said and Aaron nodded in understanding.

“Okay, it’s been a very, very long night,” Alyssa said standing up. “I think it’s time for bed.”

****

“That went slightly better than I expected,” Hailey said, climbing into her bed next to Derek and resting her head on his chest.

“I agree. Your mother was much more calm than I expected,” he said and Hailey laughed.

“Right!” she exclaimed. “And Dad wasn’t as tense as I thought he would be.”

“If that wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be I don’t want to know what you were expecting from him.”

“You’re right, you don’t,” she said, reaching over to shut the light off when her phone caught her eye. “Oh I should probably call Stiles.”

“Right it’s almost been an hour,” Derek said as Hailey held the phone to her ear.

Ready for me?” Stiles asked when he picked up the phone.

“Change of plans,” Hailey said. “Derek’s staying the night.”

Well that’s a miracle,” Stiles said and Hailey laughed. “How did you manage that?

“My parents took the news better than I thought they would,” she said. “So did your Dad too or did he start freaking out when you got home?”

Um, kind of. He was more curious as to why I haven’t become one yet. I mean… I’ve thought about it. I almost let Peter bite me once.

“I didn’t know that,” Hailey said.

“Neither did I,” Derek said, confusion on his face.

Yeah but I don’t think I’d make a very good werewolf. I barely get by being just plain old Stiles.

“You’re more than you think you are, Stiles,” Hailey said, shaking her head. “Look at how many times you’ve saved my life already. Just by being you.”

You know just what to say Hails,” he said with a laugh.

“That’s why I’m your best friend,” she said with a smile.

Well, I’ll let you go. I’m sure you’ve got something special planned for Derek,” he said, amusement in his voice. Derek had grabbed the phone out of Hailey’s hand before she could respond.

“Goodnight, Stiles,” he said through his teeth before hanging up and putting the phone on the side table.

“Don’t threaten him too much for that one,” Hailey said, reaching over to shut off the lamp before resting her head back on Derek’s chest as he pulled the blanket over them.

“I’ll do my best,” he said, leaning down and kissing her forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay new chapter! I think this will be wrapping up soon! Do you think that they'll all join together and kill Jackson?

Also... do you like the chapter title? I find it amusing. I just saw Wicked again the other night so I've had Wizard of Oz on the brain (no pun intended) and thought it actually fit well with this chapter :p haha so yeah.

Please comment!!!
~Steph <3 xoxo