Run For Your Life

Run For Your Life Chapter Five

If there were any Avengers that I didn't want to end up against in a battle, they would be Hulk, or Thor. I was absolutely terrified of the two of them, and it was ridiculous. I refused to go into the training room with either, on the sheer principality of it all. Thor was quiet for the most part, but he was so INTIMIDATING. Couple that with his hammer; and paint me frightened.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and the group of us were all eating together. Steve had two Whoppers from Burger King, Thor had a steak, Tony was heating up leftover Chinese food, and Natasha and Clint both had salads. Bruce had gotten he and myself coffee from Starbucks, and I was eating a chicken salad wrap, while he had some spaghetti.

All in all, we were quite the mismatched group. Tony took his seat beside me, and that's when I noticed that he had started to wear his wedding band again. I looked over at Steve, who was absolutely devouring his burgers and a large fries. I watched in awe as he slurped at his milkshake before tackling his second burger. "You remind me of a garbage disposal." I spoke up suddenly.

Steve's eyes met mine, and he beamed at me. "I'm not really sure what that means, but thank you, Miss Julia." Steve told me. "Why do you refer to her as 'Miss' if you wish to fornicate with her, Rogers Man?" Thor asked. Clint was the first to react, shooting to his feet and glaring at Steve. My brother was a man of few words, but the look he was giving Steve spoke volumes. "Let's not get into a fight, Clint. Nothing's happening." Bruce said. "Actually, Thor and I walked in on Julia and Steve getting pretty frisky the other day." Tony spoke up. "I'm going to kick both of your asses. Shut. UP!" I shouted.

"Is that a CHALLENGE, fire girl?!" Thor boomed, slamming his hands on the table as he jumped to his feet. The grin on his face was unmistakeable, however, and I realized that he intentionally wanted to fight me. Tony started to clap his hands, rocking back and forth like a child. "You're absolutely ridiculous, all of you." I said as everyone watched eagerly. "Are you going to fight?" Tony asked. "I'm going to fight Thor. Are you happy now?" I said.

Tony grinned smugly. "Of course I am. Very happy." he said. I rolled my eyes. "Meet me in training." I told Thor. He beamed at me, and I walked off to change into my uniform. When I was all dressed, I met Thor and the group in front of the training room. Thor nodded t me, and we entered the room.

It was over before it began. I pulled out my arrows, but Thor's hammer was too fast.
And everything went dark.

________________________

"Run faster, Rogers. You keep saying you're a man, why don't you prove it?!" I shouted, jogging in circles around Steve Rogers. James "Bucky" Barnes was jogging beside us, and he smiled down at me. "Anna, don't you go insulting Steve like that. He's trying his hardest." Bucky reprimanded. I frowned up at my boyfriend before taking off past the two boys. "One of these days... You'll see what I can do!" Steve called after me.

________________________

I ran out of my bedroom, drenched in sweat. I wore shorts and a tank top, so obviously someone had changed me out of my uniform. I hurried to a door and pulled it open, shocked to Steve on the floor doing push-ups. "98... 99...100." he muttered, then walked to his bed. He caught my eye and nodded before kneeling down in front of the bed. "Dear Lord in Heaven..." he started. I stood in the doorway awkwardly until he was finished.

Steve got to his feet and picked up a towel from beside his bed. I watched as he wiped sweat off his face and chest. "Let's talk about Anna Lawrence." I demanded. Steve's head shot up, and he dropped the towel on the floor. "How do you know that name? Anna Lawrence is dead." Steve said harshly. "I know, Steve. Anna was your friend. Girlfriend to James Barnes. You loathed her." I started to explain.

Steve turned around, his back rippling as he heaved in and out. "Don't. I loved Anna. I loved her, and she looked right past me. Always. She saw through me. Even when I became a super soldier. Even after Bucky died... She wouldn't see me. I was the only one there for her... I did everything for her." Steve explained, turning to me. "Steve... She loved you too. I... Steve..." I choked out. Steve's eyes locked on mine, they turned dark, and he placed his hands on my shoulders. "Anna?!" he shouted. He pulled me against him, and I shuddered. "Steve.. What's happening to me... I'm not Anna... But.. I have her memories." I sighed.

"How did this happen to you..." Steve demanded. We sat down on the floor, both of us crossing our legs. I retold my dream, explaining more of the memories that I had woken up with. "Don't... Do not think that by having these memories, you'll BE Anna... I don't know if you're scared, I'm sure you are. I'm sure that you don't know what to do... But you're not... You're Julia. This does not make you Anna. You're going to be absolutely fine..." Steve assured me.

His hands worked into mine, and he squeezed my fingers. "You know why I'm not freaking out about this all? Because even with Anna's memories... Even if you're some... Reincarnation of Anna.. You're Julia. And Julia is the one that I'm trying to fall for." he said. He tucked his hand under my chin, and his lips met mine. I sighed into his mouth, nestling into his laps. Tears fell out of the corner of my eyes, and Steve shrouded me with his body. "I'll keep you safe. I'll keep you safe, always." he said.

I believed every word.