The Bully's Sister

Snakes, Hate and Love

No one dared to move a muscle , tears pricked at Jane’s eyes ‘Why was everyone looking at her like that?’ she thought to her self. She knew that parseltongue was a rare language but why did every one care she could speak it. The snake eyed her beadily waiting for command “Go back into your cage , NOW” she almost shouted at the large reptile. He turned obediently “And don’t go near any one else” , she called after him as he was about to stray too near one of her fellow classmates. He slithered back into his cage and Moody placed the lid on his cage. “Well it seems that Miss Malfoy , has shown us one way to control a snake , unfortunately only a very few have this dark skill , in fact I only know of two parseltongues one is the dark lord and the other is sitting in this room.” This caused an eruption of whispers to go around the room, Jane took this break to look at her best friend who couldn’t even look her in the eyes. Everyone was giving her dirty looks , she couldn’t take it any more “Professor please may I be excused?” she asked quickly , the ex auror merely nodded. She didn’t need telling twice , she bolted out of the classroom, she ran and ran until she came to the girls toilets once in a cubicle she threw up her stomach contents , she cried and cried until no more tears could come out her eyes. She had never been so humiliated in her whole life , everyone hated her. She needed to see her brother , he would know what to say. The only problem being that she didn’t know where Draco was , but she did know someone who would. She quickly made her way down to the dungeons and knocked on the potions classroom door, Snape called out “Enter.” She opened the door to reveal Snape teaching a seventh year class which included her boyfriend. He at seeing the sight of his fearful looking girlfriend immediately stood up “Sit down Mr Diggory” Snape ordered , “Miss Malfoy what do you need?”
“I was wondering whether you knew where Draco was”
“He’s in transfiguration, I’ll take you there now” he said and they walked out of the classroom, leaving Cedric to worry about his girlfriend. “What’s happened?” Snape asked as the two walked down the corridor “Professor Moody , decided to teach us about snakes ,so naturally he brought one out and I began talking to it , only I didn’t realise that everyone would find it shocking”
“Jane you must be more careful , especially with the recent death eater demonstration at the quidditch world cup and the dark mark , people will begin to think you are a death eater”
“Well I’m going to be anyway , so what’s the difference” she spat. Snape said nothing else as they walked to the transfiguration classroom. When they arrived he knocked on the door and then asked “Professor McGonagall may I borrow Mr Malfoy a minute?” ,Jane presumed she agreed as not two seconds later her big brother came out looking utterly confused. “What’s going on?” he asked
“Your sister can explain to you” Snape said and then walked down the staircase. “Jane what’s wrong, you’re scarring me” he asked , she lent into his chest and mumbled “They know”
“Who knows what?”
“Everyone in the school will know”
“Knows what , Jane please tell me”
“That I can speak to them , the snakes” she buried her head further into his chest. “What’s wrong with that?”
“They all think I’m an evil wizard because that Moody guy said that there were only two parseltongues he knew; me and Voldermort,” Draco flinched at the name and then looked angry that Moody had made his sister cry. “Well I know you’re not an evil person , you’re furthest from it ok , don’t worry about , I think its really cool you can speak to them”
“Of course you would , you and all the other slytherins”
“Exactly, nobody is going to hate you because of this , some people may be scared of you but what’s wrong with that?”
“Everything that’s not me Draco and you know it”
“I know , just try not to think about it everyone will forget about it in a couple of days”
“That’s not even the worse bit , Ginny won’t even talk to me” she said wiping a stray tear from her pale cheek. “Well she’s a blood traitor what do you expect”
“She’s still my best friend Draco”
“Well if she’s really your best friend then she’ll except who you are ,” he said soothingly and rubbed her back. He kissed her head and held her close as she cried silently. The siblings stood like this for a few minutes until Draco said “The bell’s going to go any minute now, go and get your stuff and I’ll see you at dinner ok.” She nodded he kissed her forehead and said “I love you , everything’s going to be fine I promise.” He went back into the classroom and Jane made her way to the DADA classroom where the class was filing out , chatting and laughing. Jane kept her head down as to avoid wondering eyes, she saw a bag thrust into her arms. She looked up to see her best friend holding out her bag for her “ I figured you wouldn’t want to go back in there just yet”
“Thanks” she said quietly. The two both looked at their feet “Shall we go get some dinner?” Ginny asked
“Yeah dinner would be great, Ginny I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before I just didn’t see that is was necessary”
“I get it Jane , I understand why you didn’t tell me , its another connection to your family that you’re trying to get rid of”
“Yeah exactly and the fact that it means I’m like Voldermort makes me feel sick” she said disgusted
“Jane listen to me you are nothing like you know who, for starters you’re in Gryffindor”
“Yeah but”
“No buts Jane , the fact that you acknowledge you share a gift with you know who already makes you a better person”
“Thanks”
“You should talk to Harry , he’s a parseltongue as well” she said as they reached the great hall. They went into dinner something had as everyone was laughing “What’s happened?” Ginny asked as they sat down next to Harry, Ron and Hermione “Malfoy was turned into the amazing bouncing ferret” Ron said cheerily
“My brother was what?”
“Turned into a ferret”
“Why? Is he ok?”
“Because he was being a git as per usual” Jane glared at him.” He’s fine Jane Professor Moody turned him back” Hermione said reassuringly
“Well who turned him into it?”
“Professor Moody,” Jane really wasn’t liking this Moody guy he had humiliated Jane and Draco on the first day of term. They had never done anything to him, then she realised Moody was an ex auror so he wasn’t exactly going to be their dad’s biggest fan. Great another time their father had ruined their lives. “In other news , you’re a parselmouth” Ron said
“I know I am but where did you hear that?”
“Every one knows”
“What? How does everyone know?”
“News travels fast in this place.” Jane fell silent , everyone was going to hate her or worse fear her. She noticed Harry looking at her, she kept her eyes down on her beef casserole she was very hungry as she now had nothing in her stomach. When she had finished Harry was still looking at her , he then said “Do you want to go for a walk?” She nodded and the two excused themselves from the table gaining a look of surprise from their friends. They made their way into the entrance hall but were stopped by Cedric “Jane please can we talk?” , she looked at Harry who nodded and said “I’ll see you in a minute.” Cedric took Jane’s hand and pulled into a broom cupboard, he just looked at her for a second holding onto both her hands “Look I understand if you don’t want to be with me” she said breaking the silence
“What are you talking about?”
“Well you do know that I’m a parseltongue don’t you?”
“Yeah so”
“Well I just thought-”
“That I wouldn’t want to be with you , Jane do you really think I’d be that shallow”
“I didn’t know what to think, this whole afternoon has been really confusing , I’m sorry”
“Its ok” he said pulling her into a hug , she buried her face into his chest and wrapped her arms around his waist. He kissed her head and then said “Look at me Jane.” She looked up into his handsome eyes “No matter what anyone says to you or about you , I will always be there for you and support you , you’re my Janey and you mean everything to me.” He kissed her lightly and smiled down at her “Now didn’t you have to go see Potter?”
“Yes but I can talk to him later”
“Go Janey I’ll see you later beautiful” he said kissing her cheek and they made their way out of the broom cupboard. They went their separate ways and Jane found Harry sitting on the stairs waiting for her. “Shall we go?” she asked
“Yeah” he said leading the way down the corridor until they came to an empty classroom , they went into it and Harry locked the door. “So why did you want to talk to me?” Jane said as she sat on one of the desks
“I just thought that you might want someone to talk to about what’s happened today”
“Well that was very sweet of you , so when did everyone find out when you were a parselmouth”
“Second year , your brother actually caused it , he said this spell a snake came and I stopped it from attacking someone”
“Sorry about that”
“Don’t worry , they had to find out someday ,its just feels so natural to me and then when everyone thinks you’re different you feel so alone”
“That’s exactly what it is , you feel so embarrassed and then you feel guilty because you share the same gift as Voldermort”
“You’re strange Jane,”
“Is that supposed to be a compliment?”
“Yeah I mean I hardly know any one who says his name without fear and you’re a parselmouth and a gryffindor , you’re a weird mix”
“Thanks but then so are you”
“True so when did you find out that you could speak to them”
“I was eight or nine and Draco and I had just finished playing quidditch when we saw a snake , obviously Draco ran off crying like a girl but I just stayed there chatting to it all day, I was wondering something ?”
“What ?”
“Well do you think its possible for us to be able to talk parseltongue to each other without a snake around”
“I don’t know I’ve never really thought about it”
“Well why don’t we get a snake and see if we can understand each other that way and then get rid of the snake”
“Yeah but where are we going to get a snake from?” Jane pulled out her wand and said “Serpensortia” a snake appeared on the floor. The snake watched them not knowing who to obey , Harry decided to speak to it first “Can you understand us both?”
“I don’t know , she hasn’t spoken yet?” Harry turned to Jane “Did you understand that?”
“Every word” she beamed. They spent the rest of the evening talking to the snake before Jane pointed her wand at the snake said “Vipera Evanesca” and the snake vanished. As they headed back to the common room Harry asked Jane something “How do you and Draco know a spell like that?”
“Its amazing what books you’ll find in the Malfoy library” she said as they came to the fat lady’s portrait “Surely you should be going to the slytherin common room” she said to Jane. “Well then so should I , I speak it as well” Harry said in Jane’s defence , that shut the fat lady up and once Harry said the password they went in. There were a few people waiting up , their friends included Jane said goodnight to all of them and then went to bed.

Over the next few weeks Jane’s hatred towards Professor Moody only increased. It was however a mutual hate , but one thing Jane had noticed was that he would always call Voldermort the dark lord and she had only ever heard her father, aunt and Snape use that name for him. It was the name all death eaters used. In other subjects Jane flourished and her relationship with Cedric was going so well she was even considering saying the three little words and had a feeling he felt the same. She tried to divide her time between her boyfriend and her friends. Hermione had tried to get her to join S.P.E.W but she refused immediately “Hermione the house elves wouldn’t like this , they like their jobs and working for wizards , if the house elves at home heard about this , they’d be going mad for days.” Near the end of October a sign was put up in the entrance hall saying that the students from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons would be arriving on the 30th of October. The whole castle was buzzing about the Triwizard tournament and Cedric was mentioning every day how much he wanted to be Hogwarts champion, Jane fully supported his decision there was just something about the whole tournament that made her uneasy. 30th of October came and all Hogwarts students and staff gathered outside. Cedric held Jane’s hand as they saw the flying carriage approach them , the Beauxbatons came out of the carriage gathering a lot of attraction from the whole male population of Hogwarts. Jane held Cedric’s hand more tightly , he chuckled “Is someone a little jealous”
“Please their French they’re so up themselves they wouldn’t look twice at you”
“Well that’s good because I’ve only got eyes for one girl”
“Oh yeah who’s that?” she smirked
“Well she’s got long blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes , tall , too skinny, smart, funny , kind and has a little fiery attitude”
“You think I’m too skinny”
“Who said it was you” he smiled at her , she playfully punched his arm and mumbled “Shut up.” He laughed and wrapped his arms round her waist kissing her neck in the process. A tall mast came up from the black lake and out of the large boat came a long line of well built boys and a big surprise in the form of Viktor Krum. They all made their way into the great hall were a great feast was waiting for them , laughter and talking could be heard all around the great hall . Jane and Ginny were sat with Fred and George , when a blonde girl came over to the gryffindor table to collect some food Fred said “Oh look its another Jane”
“What do you mean by that?”
“She looks exactly like you”
“Looks and personality are very different things”
“Yeah I know take you for example you’re very nice to look at but your personality is a bit you know rocky” he joked earning a sharp kick on the shins from Jane “You’re lucky I could only reach your shins” she said to her ex boyfriend. Once all the food had been consumed , Dumbledore introduced Barty Crouch and Ludo Bagman and then they brought out the goblet of fire which was truly spectacular, everyone was in awe. Dumbledore finally told them that if they wished to enter they would have to write their name and their school on a piece of parchment and place it in the goblet of fire. The hall began to file out and Jane was about leave when Draco grabbed her wrist and said “Jane come with me I’ve got someone I want you to meet” without getting a say in the matter Draco took her over to the Slytherin table where a small cluster of Durmstrang boys were sitting “Guys this is my sister Jane” Draco said to them, but they weren’t listening just staring at Jane and all began to introduce themselves, but then someone came along that made the rest of them go quiet .Viktor Krum came up to her and took her hand and placed a kiss on it and introduced himself , after about five minutes Jane said “I’m really sorry but I must go to bed , I’m very tired goodbye boys” she said and waved to their disappointed faces . She felt Draco walk up alongside her “Where are you going , they all really like you”
“Draco I’m not going to flirt with them just to get your status up”
“Oh Jane don’t deprive your brother of some new friends”
“Oh please you just want to say that you’re best friends with Krum”
“So”
“Draco you really are hopeless sometimes” she said as she went up the stairs leading to the common room. When she reached her bed she fell asleep quickly. She was woken as equally quickly , Ginny was shaking her awake “Jane wake up Cedric’s waiting for you.” At the word ‘Cedric’ Jane immediately woke up and in her hurry fell off the bed causing huge laughter in her dormitory “I’m glad you all found that hysterical” she said. She got changed in record time and sprinted down the stairs where Cedric was waiting for her outside the common room. He smiled at her arrival and kissed her “So are you ready to put your name in?” Jane asked as they walked down the stairs,
“Yeah a little nervous”
“You’ll be fine” she said when they reached the bottom of the stairs where they were greeted by all Cedric’s friends and what seemed to be the whole of Hufflepuff. Jane hugged Alice and said hello to Tom and Charlie and ignored Luke as he did likewise to her. All the Hufflepuff’s eyes were on Cedric he pulled the piece of paper out of his robes and said to Jane “Kiss it for luck” she did as he asked. It was a tense moment as he crossed the age line , he placed his piece of paper in the goblet and instant uproar and applaud erupted in the entrance hall. Cedric ran out and picked Jane up , spinning her around , he held onto her and kissed her with so much passion that Jane had trouble keeping up. Even though people everywhere were shouting and cheering , the two couldn’t hear anything they were in their own world , exceedingly happy. Cedric rested his head on hers and whispered “I love you,” Jane grinned like a Cheshire cat , her eyes twinkled with happiness and her pounded heart so fast that she thought that it would come out of her chest “I love you too” she said. His emotions were exactly like hers , nothing could spoil this moment for the two of them. She kissed him putting all the things she couldn’t say into the kiss , she wanted to show him how much she loved him. They broke the kiss when people started coming up to Cedric congratulating and saying they hoped he got to be the Hogwarts champion. They finally made their way into the great hall and Cedric said to her “Eat with me today” , she nodded and he took her over to the table , “What’s she doing here?” Luke groaned
“She’s my girlfriend”
“She’s a Gryffindor and a Malfoy”
“Grow up Luke” Alice butted in
“Just leave her alone she hasn’t done anything wrong” Tom joined in the conversation.
“Are you seriously choosing her over me your best friend of 7 years?”
“I’m not choosing anybody , I just don’t want people insulting my girlfriend”
“Well you can’t be my friend if you’re with her”
“Fine, I’m always going to choose her over you” Cedric said , Luke looked like he was about to explode. He stormed off from the table “Cedric are you ok?” Jane asked
“Fine”
“I really don’t want to be the cause of you and your friend’s arguments , I don’t think I’m going to sit here anymore”
“Yes you are , you’re my girlfriend and I love you more than anything and if he can’t deal with you then that’s his problem”
“You love me more than anything?”
“Yeah , you’re my everything.” He kissed her hand as he said this. She was his everything and she couldn’t be happier.