Status: Contains strong language and violence. Sequel maybe???

Haunted

I'm Not a Princess, This Ain't a Fairy Tale, I'm Not The One You'll Sweet Off Her Feet

Days passed but they all blurred into one. Liam’s abuse got worse and worse and there was no escape. Even when I slept, I was haunted by the usual nightmares. The only other place was work and that wasn’t exactly a thrill. I had the evenings to myself because Liam would go out drinking while I’d stay and do chores. He became possessive and controlling, having to know my every move. As much as I hated it, I knew it was for my own good. At the end of the day, I loved Liam and he loved me. All that mattered was that we were together. I didn’t tell Isabelle or Xander what he was doing. They’d think I was an idiot for staying with him but they didn’t understand. I needed Liam like I did a heartbeat.

One night, Isabelle, Xander and I had arranged to go out for a drink after work. I didn’t dare tell Liam I was with Xander; instead I waited until he’d gone round to his mate’s for the evening and then got in the car and sneaked out to the pub. “First round on me. What you guys having?” Xander asked.
“I’ll have a diet coke,” Isabelle replied.
“Same here.”
“Nothing stronger?”
“No, I’ve got the car,” I said.
“Okay.”
“So did you speak to Liam?” Isabelle asked once Xander had gone to the bar.
“Yeah, he’s better now,” I lied.
“That’s really good. You should have brought him tonight.”
“Oh yeah, after last time when he almost punched Xander in the face.” She laughed. Xander came back and we were talking about the Hunger Games and stuff. Then they told me about Jackie and Dayo and Amandla and all the rest of the Hunger Games cast and how they were all really close still. I told them about my family and they told me about theirs. I told them about work and they told me about their upcoming projects. We had an amazing time as usual. “What’s the time?” I asked. Xander looked at his phone.
“Half ten.”
“Shit, I have to go,” I cried, downing the rest of my drink.
“What?”
“I have to get back. I’ll speak to you soon. Thank you for tonight. Bye.” Oh god, Liam would be back by now. Where had the time gone? Desperately, I racked my brains for a good excuse, any excuse.

By the time I got home, I was half asleep and fit to collapse but I knew that it wouldn’t be over yet.
“Where have you been?” asked Liam, as if on cue.
“Elisha’s. She was going out for the evening and needed a babysitter.”
“Oh really? Where was she going?”
“To that Italian Restaurant in the town centre.”
“And that’s the truth?”
“Yeah.”
“As I said, fucking liar!” he yelled. My stomach started churning. Did he follow me? “I went to Elisha’s and she told me you weren’t there.” I didn’t bother saying anything. I knew what was coming. There was no point fighting it, he’d get me anyway.
“You were with that guy from the other day, weren’t you? When will you learn?” I stepped backwards, leaning against the wall, my legs turning to jelly beneath me. “Just listen to me,” I begged, fighting back tears.
“I’m done listening,” he cried, hurtling his glass towards me. It smashed against the wall above my head, falling down onto me. I went dizzy, and my legs buckled, causing me to fall to the ground. All I could feel was excruciating pain. Liam sat down on the couch, turning on the television as if nothing had happened. I reached up and touched my head, only to wince in pain. My hands were wet with blood. I stared at him, willing him to apologise or come and help me; anything that would stop me feeling the way I did right now. But no – he stayed where he was, not giving me as much as a glance. Despite how scared I was, I knew I had to keep calm. After sitting for a few minutes, trying to get my breath back, I went upstairs and packed my bags like last time. Then I crept down the stairs as quietly as I could. Clearly, it wasn’t quiet enough.
“You’re not going anywhere!” Liam shouted, suddenly leaping off the couch and pulling me back. I kicked him and shoved him, anything to get out of his grip, but my strength was nothing compared to his. It seemed impossible. After a few more minutes of fighting, our eyes both fell on a shiny metal hammer sitting on the coffee table. I could reach it but I knew her couldn’t from where he was standing. We stood still for a few seconds, looking from each other, to the hammer and back to each other. Suddenly, I reached for the hammer, even though I had no intention of using it as anything other than a threat. He shoved me forwards, making me fall to the floor so I kicked him in the shin, causing him to do the same. Pulling myself together, I stood up and ran towards my car.

My mind was a blur and I had no clue where I was going. All I knew was that I had to drive anywhere, as long as it was away from here. I hadn’t got further that the end of the road when I started to get dizzy. My thoughts and the pain from my head wound were too much and I knew I couldn’t get much further so I drove as quickly as I could to the first place that came to my mind: Xander’s.
His house was only five minutes away but it felt like an hour. I felt dizzier by the minute and wasn’t exactly in a fit state to drive but I had no choice. I stopped outside Xander’s house and quickly checked there were still lights on and that he wasn’t asleep. Thankfully, the upstairs light was on. Just as I was about to open the car door, a strange figure in the window caught my eye. It was a girl. She was tall, thin and had long blonde hair. It was Leven…Leven Rambin. Xander’s co-star from the Hunger Games. I guessed the rumours that they were dating were true. Why else would she be in his house at gone eleven pm? I felt fresh tears streaming down my face. I could honestly say, I’d never felt so much hurt and despair in my entire life. Everything had caught up with me and I felt like the world was about to end. God, I couldn’t go there now, not when he’s with Leven. My head was pounding, the bleeding had stopped but it still hurt like mad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eeeeeekkkk. My favourite chapter so far. I really hope you like it.

So I used to hate Leven with a burning passion because there were rumours of her dating Xander. Now I'm over it: I don't hate her but something about her has always rubbed me the wrong way so whatever. xoxo