Status: Spotty

The Sun Always Sets in Paradise

Chapter Six:: *** Her

*^*^*^*^*

The credits for The Lion King rolled onto the screen of the television. I smiled and began to stand up from where I was curled up on my side of the couch.

“What do you want to watch now?” I looked over at Max from where I was crouch next to the VCR/DVD player.

“You pick.” He mumbled absentmindedly.

“I’ve picked the last two. Get over here and choose something.”

Maxim raised an eyebrow at my demanding statement before standing up from the couch and walking over to the movie case. I had to force myself not to stare in admiration at the fluidity and grace in his simple saunter.

I put the movie back in it’s case and stood when I heard the doorbell ring. “Must be the pizza.” I commented before making my way to the front door.

“I’ll get it!” Max said from where he stood.

I walked over to the end table by the couch, glanced over my shoulder, and slowly grabbed my wallet. “No.”

A slow smile spread across his face. I started to step away from him when he slowly walked towards me. Before I knew it, it became I race to the front door. Luckily, I had managed to beat him to it across the slippery wood floor. I started to laugh when Maxim tried to pull me away from the door knob but I was able to open it just in time.

Hair was in my face as I pulled myself out of his grasp. I looked up, expecting to see some kid with a lame worker outfit on and a pizza box but instead I saw Ellie staring at me with wide eyes. My smile dropped when I saw her and I swallowed hard.

I could feel Max’s presence behind me. “Well… You’re not the delivery person now, are you?” I commented lamely.

“No.” She said icily. “Where the fuck is your phone?”

I paused in thought. “In my locker…” I said slowly.

“Awesome. No wonder you didn’t answer my calls and texts.” She glared at me and then at Maxim.

“I’m sorry…” I tried not getting mad at her because she didn’t know anything really at the moment.

Plus, she was in total bitch mode so it was hard to ever win against her when she got like that.

“Yeah. Fucking sorry, huh? I thought something happened to you when I didn’t see you at lunch! And then I got fucking annoyed when Haden wasn’t at lunch either. Then I was really pissed when you didn’t show up after school! No call or text or anything! Thanks a fucking lot!”

“Wait, Haden wasn’t at school?”

“Really?” She replied sarcastically but continued when I gave her a pointed look. “Yeah, he wasn’t at school. Nobody really knew where he went after second period or whatever. Who the fuck cares? Why weren’t you at school?”

“Haden came at me.” I started slowly. “He was threatening me and stuff and then Max… Maxim here took care of him.” I tried to keep my voice low so she wouldn’t hear the waver in it.

Ellie’s complete demeanor changed. “He threatened you?”

“Well, basically.” That was as far as I could go without telling her about Haden being the one who attacked me in the house.

She would make me report him and stuff and I really didn’t want that mess. My mom would flip a nut if she heard that I needed an attorney without very strong proof.

“That dick. Isn’t the first time though, is it?”

I should my head, “no. It’s not.”

“Oh really?” Maxim startled me. I had forgotten that he was still there.

There was a steely tone to his voice. I looked behind me and up into his face. “Yeah, he’s threatened me multiple times.” I whispered.

“You should stay with me tonight.” Ellie chimed in.

“But…”

“It’ll be safer.”

“But your mom is going to make us go to school tomorrow and I just can’t handle that.”

“She won’t if she knows-”

“No!” I cut her off in panic. “I don’t want anyone to really know…”

“But it’s mom!”

“No.” I pleaded.

Max was quiet through this bicker between Ellie and I. However, I could feel the rage rolling off him in waves. Ellie seemed oblivious as she tried to make up an excuse as to why I should stay at her house.

I had stopped listening to her. My mind was whirling and eventually started to hurt.

“Stop.” I demanded hotly.

Ellie stopped talking and looked at me in surprise.

“I will stay here. I’ll be fine. I can take care of myself.” I lied. I just wanted her to stop trying to figure out a solution for me.

“Fine, you stubborn-ass.” Ellie narrowed her eyes at me.

I sighed in exasperation. As I rolled my eyes, I noticed the pizza delivery car pull up. “Oh look. Pizza is here.” I said unenthusiastically. “Wanna stay?”

Ellie shook her head curtly. “I need to get home.”

I gritted my teeth before snapping at her because of her bitchy tone. “Okay. Later.”

She turned on her heal and walked stiffly to her car. She was pissed and I didn’t care. Fuck her if she was going to be that way. I nearly walked back into the house and left the pizza guy there but out of common courtesy, I stayed.

Maxim stepped in front of me just as the guy was nearly at the house and pulled out his wallet. I huffed in frustration at him but he just smirked and said, “I win.”

“You only won this time.” I smiled.

I walked back into the living room and flopped onto the couch. I felt sticky and grimy. My head throbbed as well. I needed a shower. I needed to do something that didn’t involve much thought; even though I always seem to think the most.

Max walked into the room. “Where do you want the food?”

“Kitchen. It’s a little farther down the hallway on the right.” I mumbled.

“Alright.”

I heaved myself off of the couch and trudged towards the kitchen. I leaned against the door frame and watched Maxim wash his hands. Once he turned towards me, I spoke. “I need to jump in the shower. Will you still be here when I get done?” It took an incredible amount of courage for me to say that.

Even though Max had been incredibly kind and nice to me, I was still fearful and skeptical of him. But then again, I was fearful of being left alone. Especially tonight…

“Only if you want me to be.” He seemed to pin me with his stormy eyes.

I nodded. He smiled so I turned around and made my way quickly to my room. I grabbed a pair of simple black Nike sweatpants and a thin t-shirt along with a clean bra. Fuck underwear, I thought, giggling.

Then I thought better and grabbed a black pair of simple lace underwear. Hurriedly I went into my bathroom, showered, and got dress in probably a maximum of 15 minutes. I ran my comb through my hair lazily before towel drying it and finishing it off with leave-in conditioner that smelled like honeysuckle and vanilla.

When I went downstairs, Max was still in the kitchen, sitting at the island table, looking distant as he chewed.

“Is it still warm?” I questioned from my place in the doorway.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that I didn't describe the house very well. It seems kind of silly to describe the house when it was in Desiree's point of view :/ i'll figure out a way to incorporate it into the story so that all readers will ahve a better picture :)

Feedback is appreciated :) Let's me know how I'm doing!

Silent readers are still appreciated :)