Status: A story for my grade 8 year I'm rewriting and adding to :)

Time Only Tells

Home Life

After about 2 months into meeting each other and figuring out we both get alone pretty decently, we discovered the stupid fact that for the past 16 years of our lives, we’ve been living not even 15 minutes away from each other. Never once have I seen this person around my neighborhood. Not once. I find that pretty stupid, it’s as if the universe is just saying hey your life’s already screwed up enough, you could’ve had this amazing person with you the whole time but you were too lazy to go outside and look and we just couldn’t make it that easy for you.

Trevor and I always walk home together since for some reason he thinks I’m timid and will get kidnapped or something without even fighting back. He’s a bit protective and forgets about my short temper, but I wonder if he remembers I’ve been walking home for years and is still my parent’s owned little girl. My dad’s a cop and my mom’s a doctor so if I ever got kidnapped the kidnapper would probably be near dead in under 24 hours… did I mention my dad is a little over protective as well? Still thinks I’m his little “Tortor” that he would bounce on his knee and play pretend with. My names Tori but he used to like to call me Tortor, maybe he thought it was cute but I always thought it was a name more suited for a tortoise or gecko rather than a 3 year old girl. I’m an only child so I guess he’s trying to hold onto his baby as much as he can before she decides to fly the nest.

I never thought of my family as dysfunctional; we all got along pretty well except when dad comes home drunk from work. Happy I don’t have any younger siblings to look after I just hide in my room till he passes out. My mother on the other hand I don’t imagine she handles it well but she’s the “strong type” she never shows emotion in fear she’ll be taken advantage of if she does. She never broke down easily as long as I can remember the only time in my 16 years of life the only time I can remember seeing her really cry is the first time her love bird came home drunk. She breaks down much easier since then. I must say myself its good to see her in what seems to be her closest human state. When she never showed emotion she also never showed happiness or joy, anything like that. Robot mommy we called her sometimes, we never let her hear us say that though. I used to do things to try and make her laugh or show some type of emotion but it was like trying to get one of those royal guards with the black fluffy hats. I’m always in my room when dad comes home so I’m not quite sure how she reacts to him, sometimes I wish I could just take her and run away from dad but I’m not stupid, he is with the police we’d be found in no time flat. I’m thankful though for Trevor, he says if it ever gets really bad to book it to his house and he’ll do his best to help me find a way to get my mom out of the house as soon as possible, but dads not and angry drunk so I don’t think he’d ever become violent, then again who knows when it comes to things like this I’ve only known it for a short period of time. I can’t say much with accuracy how it’ll progress. It makes me mad at him but free will is free will.

I’ve never met Trevor’s family but I know he has a little sister named May, his moms a baker and his dads the manager of a small chain of coffee houses, a far cry from my parent’s strict jobs. I’d think that having a job like being a baker would be much less stressful and enjoyable than being a cop who catches people who most of the time are armed with some sort of weapon. Sometimes I wish I had a family like his, calm and tight-knit rather than my uptight and loose-knit family. My mother thinks that we’re all really close in my family but when your mother works shifts all the time and dads only home in the late evenings as well, you can only be so close. They don’t even really listen to me so I’m guessing my mom’s staring to go a bit delusional. I love being over at Trevor’s house, his baby sister seems to think of me as a sister of some kind and always sits on my lap when I come over. It’s nice to be with them rather than at home in my room doing nothing.