Status: A story for my grade 8 year I'm rewriting and adding to :)

Time Only Tells

Beauty Amidst Tragedy

As I walk closer to what seems used to be the junior high school Trevor went to. I suddenly understand what not helping meant to him. He knows people here. Teachers he used to see every day, friends he used to laugh with and smile with might still be inside this building. Probably are still inside.

Getting closer I see that the insides of the building have been utterly torn apart. Whatever happened here must’ve been brutal to be through. I yell for Trevor as I walk through what feels like the aftermath of a rebellions end. The building inside is missing a very large chunk of the roof. The walls are charred to the point the original color is indefinable. The place has an eerie silence to it as I keep calling Trevor's name. The thought pops into my mind that maybe something has happened to Trevor, maybe a support from the celling or a board in the floor gave out. My heart starts to speed up and before I can analyse anything that's happening I'm in panic mode. Hands clenching. Breath speeding to a stop. Body frozen.

I stand there frozen and unable to breathe for what feels like a millennium. A statue amongst the wreckage. I may be frozen but my hearing is still intact as I hear a voice come from behind me.

"Tor what are you doing?!? You're not supposed to be hear!" he yells, I can hear the urgency in his voice.

A wave of relief consumes me as I fall to the floor unexpectedly as all the tension in my body from the panic attack unravels. I feel strong hands pull me by the shoulders and next thing I know I'm staring into the eyes of Trevor. His face looks as if he'd ran face first into one of the walls because its just smeared with soot. There's also what looks to be blood all over his hands, shirt and neck. Staring into his eyes I get lost. I don't realise he's talking to me but he seems just as frazzled as me. I'm desperate to calm him down and as if my mind had no control over my body I lean into him, wipe the soot off his face the best I can, close my eyes, and kiss him. To my surprise he doesn't pull away. I feel the vein in his forehead disappear and my hands slide down to his neck as I pull him into a hug, I can feel his heart slow to a steady beat from a racing one, and I know I've accomplished my mission. Beauty amidst tragedy.