I Am Lightning

The Fight

In a flash, I dived towards the man and slapped my hand to his chest. The current within me roared and surged into his body, and with a strangled cry he flew backwards. I whirled towards the shadow as it jumped towards me and let loose another surge of yellow wrath upon it. The shadow shrieked and twisted, somehow avoiding the electricity. It was much faster than I was expecting.

But I was fast, too. I was faster than anything.

I breathed in deeply, preparing myself to go into slow-time. It was a natural ability that my element allowed me to do, seeing the world far slower, and walking among it as the only person capable of moving normally. In reality, this meant I was incredibly fast. I heard a growl, and just as the world started to slow, the shadow slammed into my side. I flew across, out of control, and smacked into a building, hitting my head pretty hard. Everything spun for a few seconds as I regained my balance, and now both the man and the shadow were advancing towards me.

I hissed at them, and spread my arms on either side of me. Balls of yellow current fizzed and spat in the palms of my hands. As they both leaped towards me, I pointed at each of them and released. Two great bolts of yellow struck both and sent them flying backwards with a loud clap. The shadow rose first.

“How cute,” it sneered, “Fulgora thinks she actually stands a chance. But you’re no match for-” It paused and cocked its head and I heard the noise, too. It seemed the town guard had become aware of the fight and were rushing towards the scene. At once the shadow and I leapt towards each other. I knocked away the smooth black hand that grabbed for the stone hidden beneath my shirt and ignored its other hand upon my upper arm. With my right hand I grabbed hold of its face and sent coursing yellow bolts through its black body. It screamed high and wild and just as I thought I would win, its hand wrapped around my throat. Instantly my windpipe was blocked and I couldn’t get any air in. I grabbed its wrist and energy coursed through it, causing it to scream again, but its grip was still strong, it wouldn’t let go. My lungs started burning, and my heart was racing. I pulled my hand back from its face and punched it just above where its heart should be, if it had one, but this had no affect on it. Its body was hard and smooth like polished stone.

My lungs were screaming as I felt the man behind me grab for one of the pouches holding a stone. Instantly I kicked backwards and I heard him groan and stumble away. I sent more electricity into the shadow, but it almost seemed immune to it as I saw a black grin spread across its face. I could hear the town guard drawing closer. My lungs were screaming. Black started to invade my vision more profusely than the night around me.

I wrapped both my hands around its wrist and pulled, but to no avail. My limbs were so heavy. My sight was almost completely obscured. Once again something tugged at my waist and simply reached back and grabbed the man, digging my fingers into his chest and feeling something hard meet my touch. All at once I knew it was over. He slumped to the ground, but the shadow clung hold still, a part of the man and yet a separate entity.

That had been my last hope. The darkness obscured my vision entirely, and my weak limbs slumped to my sides. Loud noises I couldn’t discern clashed and hammered around me and all of a sudden I was falling. It felt nice. My chest no longer burned, nor did anything else. I slipped away, and the darkness over-rode me. What a gentle feeling it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what happens now? What do you want to happen now? Let me know ^-^