The Kids From Yesterday

Big News

Image

"Nick." I mumbled, squinting as I watched the fluorescent lights passing over me. I realized that I was on a gurney and I was wearing a hospital gown. Two nurses pushed the bed along rolling the doctor as we went through double doors into a different ward.

"Nick." I repeated a little louder.

"I'm right here, Isla." He spoke. I realized he was following us.

"What's going on?" I cleared my throat, trying to sit up but being gently ushered to lay back down by the male nurse.

"Miss Pemberley, we're taking you into the obstetric ward for an emergency ultrasound. You're pregnant and these signs that your showing are not good. I need to take an ultrasound to make sure the fetus is okay." The doctor spoke as I was wheeled into a private room.

"Wait, okay? You mean there's a possibility my baby isn't okay? What's wrong?" I tried sitting up, my eyes brimming with tears.

"Isla, you need to calm down. We're doing this as a precautionary measure." He said as the nurses set the brakes on the gurney and the male nurse left the room.

"Nick, are you gonna stay in here for this?" The doctor asked, putting on latex gloves and preparing the probe.

"Yes." Nick cleared his throat, sitting next to me.

"Isla, I'm going to be taking an internal ultrasound. A regular one wouldn't be able to get as good of view of the baby. Are you ready?"

"Yes." I closed my eyes as tears escaped. I was scared for the life of my unborn and unexpected child; if something was wrong I would never forgive myself.

During the ultrasound Nick and I watched the screen anxiously, he held my hand firmly, and then the a soft and quick beating of a heart brought sighs of relief to us.

"Isla, Nick. You're baby is just fine. You're six weeks along." The doctor smiled, ending the ultrasound.

I began crying tears of joy and Nick hugged me and softly cried with me. "We're having a baby." He grinned.

I wiped my tears away and smiled. "I can't believe it. I can't believe it." I then looked at the doctor. "Then why was I in so much pain?"

"That's what I'm about to figure out. Do you exercise a lot?"

I lowered my eyes. "Yes. I usually do about 2-3 hours of dancing and pilates a day."

He shrugged his shoulders, "Well there's one reason. You're pushing your body too hard with exercising and as a result your body temperature rises and your baby's temperature which is already warm enough gets even more warmer. Now, are you prone to high stress?"

I sighed. "Yes."

Again he shrugged his shoulders. "That's no good Isla, you need to relax. Especially now from this scare. After this, I want you to go home, get in bed and stay there for a week. You need bed rest. And this is an order."

I just smiled and nodded.

"Okay, have you been drinking, smoking, or partaking in illegal drugs during your pregnancy?"

"I've been drinking, beer and wine. And I smoke occasionally." I looked down.

"Well Isla, there's no need to worry, it's very common that the mother will do these things without knowing she's pregnant. But I suggest that you stop drinking and quit smoking right now. It's no good for you and the baby."

I nodded. "Of course."

"So for now, I'm prescribing you some pre-natal vitamins and ordering you to a week of bed rest." He scrawled onto his prescription pad and tore off the paper, handing it to me. "You're free to go."

"Thank you...wait, when will I be able to fly? Nick and I need to go back to New York, and then we're gonna be going to France right after."

"Rest for a week and you should be fine." He smiled.

I smiled back. "Thank you...so much."

After I had changed into my regular clothes, I was ready to go into the waiting room and tell my brother the good news. Nick took my hand and stopped me, pulling me back. He gently stroked my face and kissed me, placing his hand on my stomach.

"I love you Isla. This is the best thing that's ever happened to us." He softly spoke.

I smiled into his kiss and wrapped my arms around him. "It really is. I was being so selfish about it but now that it's a reality, I am more than ready to give myself completely to our child."

"Let's go tell your brother." He smiled, taking my hand and leading me out to the waiting room. As we turned the corner and entered the room, Will immediately shot up from his seat and grabbed me and hugged me.

"Oh, easy now. I'm still sore." I chuckled.

"Iles, are you alright? What happened?" He had that look of worry in his eyes, that look that my parents would give us kids many years ago. A look that I would one day give to my own kid.

I smiled at him. "I'm fine. I'm more than that...I'm great, couldn't be...happier."

He furrowed his brow.

Nick's arm snaked around my waist as the others stood, including Zack and Gena. Nick and I smiled at each other and I looked back at Will.

"Will, Nick and I are having a baby. I'm pregnant." I spoke, softly smiling.

His lips formed a smile and Emily and Gena became ecstatic, both hugging Nick and I and giving their congratulations.

"My baby sister is gonna have a baby." Will grinned, tears falling from his hazel eyes. He gently hugged me. "I'm so happy for you."

I cried again and held him closely, looking over his shoulder I noticed Zack half-smiling at me. I smiled back and closed my eyes.

* * *

I was in bed and had just tossed my phone down next to me, smiling as Nick came in with our dinner on a tray. "What's the grinning for?" He chuckled, knowing exactly why I was smiling.

"I had called my parents and told them, they're incredibly happy. In my dad's words, "this is fantastic." and I called Lindsey and Gerard, they are both so excited and Bandit is excited as well. I also called my director. He's putting off the production and doing a different play. We made a deal; I promised him next year at this time I will be playing Maggie in our original play. Nick, everything's working out." I laughed, hugging myself.

He smiled as he sat next to me. "Everything is. I called my mom, she's the same as your parents. And I called my grandfather, and he wants us to come to France as soon as possible."

"I can't wait." I grinned, sitting up and eyeing the food.

"Here." He said, reaching into his back pocket and giving me a folded picture. I furrowed my brow and looked at it, seeing a picture of a rustic home. I looked back up at him. "What's this?"

"Our home in Bordeaux." He softly smiled.

My jaw dropped. "Are you serious?"

He nodded. "It's the perfect place to start a family. And it's only a ten minute drive from my grandfather's. Four bedrooms, three bathrooms. Two living rooms. A large kitchen. A huge backyard. I was gonna save this for a wedding present, but now seems like a pretty good time."

"Oh Nick, it's perfect. It's more than perfect." I wrapped my arms around him and kissed him.

"I'm more than ready to be a dad. And you're gonna be an amazing mother." He smiled.

"I hope so." I smiled back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Phew! Close call.

Comment and Subscribe :)