Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Weirdos

A week later Joker kidnapped Catwoman. I woke up that night to chaos. His men were rushing downstairs, eyes bright with anticipation. I dressed and followed. She was tied to a chair in the middle of the floor, stripped of her claws and whip.

She hissed at whoever came close. Her suit was ripped and dirty, and her mouth was bleeding. Joker stood behind her, grinning smugly. “Alright boys, settle down,” he called, and the room went silent. Joker leaned over Catwoman, running a finger along her jaw line. She snarled and tried to bite him, but he slapped her.

Hard. I winced at the sound, ashamed to be watching. This was Catwoman, hero of the Narrows. My idol, being slapped by my obsession. “Shut up. Anywho, I caught you at last, kitty. You didn’t think I’d miss you ruining my last bank robbery, did you?” His voice changed from sticky sweet to an angry growl.

“It’s clear you’ve joined the Bat Pack, and that cannot go forgiven,” he yelled, shaking her. “I’ve got plans for you, Catwoman. Plans involving Killer Croc and you in pieces, left in the Harbor for Batman to find. A tiny drowned kitten. Won’t he just be thrilled?” Joker cackled and pulled her head back, tracing his knife along her throat.

“Put her in one of the cells, boys.” I felt sick as I watched them carry her away, imagining Killer Croc’s jagged teeth crunching into her skin, crushing her bones. Surely Joker wouldn’t be that angry if she escaped, and he didn’t have to know it was me.

I swallowed nervously as he walked towards me and hoped he couldn’t sense the plans forming in my head. He gave me a grin, wrapping his hands in my hair. “Catwoman’s gonna die, Quinnie. I’m, ha!, I’m gonna hear her last meow.”

I let her loose that night. I stole sleeping gas from Joker and went downstairs. He didn’t wake up to catch me. I was uncomfortable using the gas, because it reminded me of Scarecrow, but I managed. The guards were asleep in seconds, and I slipped into Catwoman’s cell.

She wasn’t sleeping. She stared at me with vivid green eyes. “I remember you. You’re the girl from the hallway.” Her face softened for just an instant. “Your bruises are healing.” I nodded. I had every opportunity to free her, but my hands were shaking. I couldn’t make up my mind.

“Are you here to free me? I would really appreciate it.” She gave me a strained smile. “I don’t want to be eaten by Croc.” “He’ll be so mad,” I whispered. Her eyes narrowed. “Joker’s a madman. Remember those red sticky notes?” I nodded. “That was blood. He killed all those henchmen and dipped sticky notes in their blood for fun. Do you really want to be part of that?” she asked softly.

I sighed. “Yes. I do. But I’ll let you go anyway.” I untied her hands and she stood, stretching. “You’re a hero where I grew up. I just....I couldn’t let you die.” Catwoman smiled at me and squeezed my shoulder. “You’re my hero right now. I won’t forget this.” She ran off into the night, leaving me alone with Joker.
♠ ♠ ♠
Joker: Can't be too careful with all those weirdos around.