Charmed Life

Chapter Sixteen

The apartment is small, but it’s all mine. There’s a tiny hallway with the kitchen and dining area to the left, a bathroom and closet on the right, and two little steps at the end lead to the living room, and my bedroom is off to the side. I even have a little balcony. And to top it all off, the neighborhood is practically crime free.

Practically.

James still isn’t happy about the move, but the fact that I’m only a ten minute’s walk away hasn’t stopped him from coming over most mornings for breakfast and the occasional lunch or dinner.

I mean, he hadn’t been too pleased when I’d told him.

“You’re what?” He stops in his track; the smoldering look that he had earlier is replaced by one of confusion. The wounded puppy look he gets almost makes me feel bad. But I’ve made my decision; I’ve made my bed, and now I have to lay in it.

Even if James won’t be there. Literally, and figuratively.

“Yeah,” I sit back, plopping onto the wicker couch, and sigh heavily. Whatever might have happened is gone now, and we’re just two roommates discussing the future. “I mean, I’m making enough to support myself. I’ve been living here – rent free – for long enough and it’s time – ”

“Do you want to pay rent?” He interrupts me, taking a seat. “Is that what this is about? Cause you can start whenever you want.”

I shake my head. “No, I don’t – I mean, I do, just… not here.”

“Why?” He looks so confused, and so hurt, that it makes my heart ache. The way he’s looking at me makes it seem like he had done something wrong and is begging me to forgive him.

“Because… this was temporary,” I try to explain. “Remember? It was just until I got back on my feet. You’ve been so helpful, and I swear, I will pay you back. Every penny.”

“I don’t want you to pay me back,” he says. He runs a hand through his tousled hair, exasperated.

“Okay, I won’t,” I say slowly, studying him. I still don’t quite understand why he looks so upset, but I decide to humor him. “What is it do you want?”

He blinks at me, not saying anything. Then, as if jolted awake, he shakes his head abruptly. “Nothing, I don’t – never mind.” He smiles, so suddenly that it scares me a little bit. “I’m happy for you. Really. That’s good. That’s great.”

The quick change in mood is a surprise for me, and it makes me question his sanity at the moment. I frown, but nod anyway. Something’s off, but I don’t know what.

I tell myself that whatever it is, it doesn’t matter, because this time tomorrow, James Neal and I won’t be roommates anywhere.

…..

I dry my hair as best I can with a towel and then dress in sweats and a tee. Winter break is finally here and I can’t wait to just relax and not worry about classes. My grades are stellar, I’m sure, but I’m glad the semester is done.

I start a new pot of coffee, toast some bread, throw an entire pack of bacon into a skillet, and crack six eggs in a bowl. Something I learned from being roommates with Hayden and the band and James is that guys eat a lot.

A whole lot.

And when one of those guys is a professional athlete, then he eats even more. A lot more.

Having him over for breakfast means constantly stocking my fridge. But I don’t mind, because we’ve never gotten along better. I see him more than I did when I lived with him.

Finally, I settle down at the dining table, a cup of coffee nestled in my palms, my laptop in front of me. Ten minutes later, and right on time, James strolls in, wearing Penguins sweats.

Even though I see him almost everyday, I still pause for a beat to take him in. I can’t understand how he looks so good in the mornings, when I look like I’d just rolled out of bed.

I stopped caring what I looked like around him a long time ago, because it doesn’t matter.

“Morning, loser,” he greets, walking in like he owns the place. I nod, but go back to the computer. He steps into the kitchen and stands over the sizzling bacon, using a fork to flip them over. He’s learned a couple of things from me.

I join him in the small space, pouring him a cup of coffee and pouring two more glasses of orange juice. Even though the total square feet of the apartment is barely habitable for one person, we’ve somehow come up with a way to maneuver around each other without causing total chaos.

I sit, and wait as he plates everything and brings them over to the table.

“How’d the game go last night?” I ask. I’d meant to watch, but fell asleep way earlier than I’d care to admit.

“We won,” he answers, shoveling eggs into his mouth. “Oh,” he suddenly remembers, pointing his fork at me. “You remember Faulk? From the Hurricanes? He asked about you. Again.”

I wrack my brain, but come up empty.

“Justin Faulk?” James repeats.

“Oh!” I remember, then I frown. “Wait, you mean, with the mustache?”

James nods enthusiastically. “Yeah! That’s him.”

I take a sip of juice and grimace. “Yeah, no. I’m not really into the 70’s porn star look.” That gets me a chuckle. “Guess what though?”

“What?”

“According to The National Lung and Blood Institute, you’re overweight.”

“Excuse me?”

His fork has stopped halfway to his mouth and he’s gawking at me.

“Yeah. I put in your height and weight and it says you’re overweight. I mean, I know it’s all muscle, but I just thought it was interesting –”

“Wait, how the hell do you know my height and weight?”

I shrug. “I googled you.”

“You googled me.”

“Sure did. According to Wikipedia, you’re one of the top NHL wingers. So, you know… good job.”

He smiles smugly. “I coulda told you that. And I’m not overweight.”

“No, but your BMI is.”

“You got any Christmas plans?” He asks me suddenly. He’s looking down at his plate, and not looking at me. I’m surprised, but I hide it by staring at my own plate.

“Actually, I got my grandparents this all inclusive seniors cruise package, and I was thinking of joining them. They’re sailing to the Bahamas and –”

“A seniors cruise?” He sounds appalled, and I finally look up to see him practically laughing at me. “Why would you want to do that?”

I get defensive. “It’s supposed to be fun!”

“I’m sure it is. For them. That’s really sweet and all, but do you realy want to third wheel with your grandparents?”

My defensiveness deflates, and I slouch in my seat.

“Burst my bubble, why don’t you…” I pout, playing around with my eggs.

“I will,” he declares, looking at me earnestly. “But, there was a reason I asked. I want you to come to Canada with me. Meet my family, go skiing. Might not be as fun as a seniors cruise, though…”

“Canada?” I repeat.

“Yeah. I’m sure Wikipedia told you that's where I'm from?”

“Your family?” I say dumbly.

“Yep, pretty sure that’s on there, too. And skiing was the third thing. I remember, you don’t have to list it back to me. I have a cabin at this awesome resort and I think you’d like it.”

“But… I don’t want to intrude on your Christmas,” I argue.

He shakes his head. “No way. Everyone wants to meet the girl whose been feeding me.”

“Really?” He nods enthusiastically, going back to his breakfast. Even though I haven’t said yes, he knows he has me. I go through it again. Canada. For Christmas. With James and his family.

“It’ll be just as fun as the seniors cruise?” I try to joke despite the hammering in my heart.

“For sure.”

I play around with my eggs some more, pretending to be nonchalant, trying to make this seem like it isn’t a big deal for me even though it is.

“Okay.”

“Okay,” he looks up just as I do, and smiles beautifully. “Good. I’m gonna have to blame someone for being overweight.”