With the Voice of an Angel She Mesmerized Me...and My Best Mates

The Irish

CHAPTER FOUR::
GENERAL POV::

The boys crowded around the speaker phone as Spencer dialled the number on “Riddle’s” profile. The last few beeps of numbers being punched in resounded though the lounge room and it began to ring.
ring, ring,
Ring, ring,
Ring, ring


“Would she pick up already?” Ryan muttered and the boys turned to glare at him,
“You better be right about her,” Jon said, “I didn’t see her.”
“Shut up damn it!” Brendon yelled.

ring, ring,
Ring


“Hey hey, you’ve reached Riddle, if you’re hearing this message you’re obviously somewhat interested in whatever musical talent I may have.” Her recorded message paused for a moment before her voice wafted through the room again,
“I’ll be playing at…The Irish on…Saturday at….7.30pm. Be there.” The message cut out her and the boys looked to each other.

“Well?” Jon asked, looking to Spencer who was already standing up and looking for something.

“Come on, It’s only quarter past, If we leave now…we should make it in time.” Spencer said, locating what he’d been looking for down the back of the couch, his car keys. Everyone hurried to their feet and ran out to the car.

---

The first thing the boys heard upon opening the bar was a guitar they looked in the direction of the noise, hoping to see Riddle, but no she wasn’t in sight. The four approached the bar, purchasing their drinks, and sat down talking to the bartender.
He silenced them with a finger as the first note of a piano rang through the Irish. The boys shook their heads and returned to their drinks as drums joined the instruments and began to chat amongst themselves.

---
RIDDLE’S POV::
As the last note of the intro was struck on the piano I breathed in moving to the stage.
She ran until her face was numb with cold,
And wore a cotton gown that blazed the night I’m told
She ran until her feet refused hold her
So heavy a heart for someone merely ten years old
And when she reached the river her knees began to shiver,
Her head with pounding voices from home.
Behind her was a vision, a painful apparition
Of a darker world that no-one should know.

Somebody's bed will never be warm again,
The river will keep this friend.
Yeah somebody's bed will never be warm again,
No never again.

She dived beneath the water's icy skin,
Hoping the cold would kill the smell of angry gin,
And her eyes grew wider than they'd ever been
Just wishing the numbness to cut deeper with its pins.
And as her body lay there she decided to stay there
Till darkness came to pull her away.
And beautifully she sank as up river was the bank
Where some bodiless troubles would stay.

Somebody's bed will never be warm again,
The river will keep this friend.
Yeah somebody's bed will never be warm again,
No never again.

Somebody's bed will never be warm again,
The river will keep this friend.
Yeah somebody's bed will never be warm again,
No never again
.” I finished the Missy Higgins’ song to silence, I seemed to know how to make a crowd go quite, but seconds later applause filled my ears and I smiled placing the mic back to my lips.

“Thanks everyone! That was The River by Missy Higgins! Give it up for the band.” I said, another round of applause.

I looked to the bar, there sat three people I’d performed for earlier today with the final member of their band, I gave a small wave in their direction and they raised their beer bottles in acknowledgment. I sung a few more covers to keep the crowd happy, before finally singing one of my own songs, Winter, I wrote it when I was 14 and on the brink of suicide. It was a sad song, a bit of a tear jerker, but I had not yet sung it to a person who disliked it. I finished the gig with a bit of a happier song, another of my own called Tip of My Tongue, before exiting the stage.
I walked over to the bar accepting the bottle of water Nick passed me
,
“Great set, Riddle. Karine will be right out, okay?” He said, I grinned still buzzing from the good vibrations of the audience. I felt a hand on my shoulder; I turned to see Brendon followed by the band, including Ryan.

“That’s some voice you’ve got there,” Brendon said, John and Spencer nodded in agreement, Ryan just stared, I shifted awkwardly in my seat a blush flooding my cheeks.

“RIDDLE!” I heard Karine’s voice yell out over the crowd, a grin broke out across my face, as I spotted my best friend who I hadn’t seen in two moths running toward me.

“Sorry,” I said excusing myself, “I’ll be right back.”
I ran up to my best friend embracing her in the sort of hug only best friends can give, we broke apart and just stood there looking at each other large smiles on our faces. My god Karine was pretty…no not pretty…stunning, and she had one of those smiles that just.

“Oh my god riddle!” Karine yelled throwing herself back onto me breaking the silence, and I grinned swinging her around like a little kid. I se her back on her face and took her hand leading back to the band.

“Karine,” I said, “I want you to meet Panic at the Disco.” The look on her face was priceless, you know how I said I was their biggest fan? I lied, Karine bet me to that position by a mile. She looked from me to the band and back again.

“Oh My God Riddle! That’s Panic at the Disco!” She screamed, and I rolled my eyes laughing lightly at her antics.

“Everyone, meet Karine.” It struck me that I hadn’t even introduced myself to them but I shrugged it off and watched the conversation flow. Brendon stared transfixed at Karine consumed by her beauty and bubbly personality, twenty minutes later the two of them where no where to be seen, my eyes drifted back to Ryan as he spoke for the the first time that night.

“Um…Riddle, about earlier..” He started.

“Yes?” I asked, ordering another round of drinks.

“Um…actually, don’t worry about it.” He muttered, I shrugged wasn’t planning on doing so anyway.

“I ANNOUNCE A GAME OF SPIN THE BOTTLE!” Jon exclaimed in a drunken moment of randomness. Everyone was in on the idea…only one person didn’t land on me and that was Brendon and he played the game somewhat boredly, that was until Karine rolled onto me. We both smiled and moved into the centre of the circle, we were best friends this wouldn’t mean anything. Brendon watched with bright eyes as did the rest of them, all presumably fans of a bit of girl on girl action.
M left hand cupped her cheek, her right mine, and our lips met, cat calls erupted in the bar. And something took over the both of us and moments later we were having a full on girl on girl makeout session, my tongue danced across the roof of her mouth and her hands raced feverishly up my back to tangle in my hair.
It continued like this for who knows how long until we broke apart, grins on our faces.

“er..lesbians?” Brendon asked making a gesture between us.

“Bi.” We said in unison, the guys nodded understandingly and we finished the game, numbers were exchanged and then I left.
♠ ♠ ♠
i dont own the missy higgins lyrics obviously.
and comments are appreciated.