In Your Eyes

six

Almost a month has passed since mom and dad left for good. Chloe and I didn't mind though. Grandpa always made sure we were okay. So did the Ways and the Rogers (Cody's family). Chloe and I spent every day with them until grandpa finished with work so we wouldn't be all alone. Some of our relatives wanted to take us in too but when they saw us with our friends, they couldn't bear to take that away from us. Or at least that's what Grandpa said. Something was taken away though. My dad seemed to have taken away my sister.

Ever since it happened, she wouldn't wear colors. Just black. Only I could rock her to sleep. Only I could hold her and hug her. Only I could get her to get inside the house. Only I could talk to her about it but I can't fix her anymore. I can't help her get rid of the nightmares. I can just comfort her afterwards. I can't tell her everything would be okay because we knew something was bound to happen. I couldn't make everything better even if I tried. Even just make everything better for her.

May 13, 1990

It was mother's day and we were at the Way residence again. Cody and I fixed the dining room while Gerard and Mikey cooked dinner. Amanda and Chloe just decorated the living room with hearts and a banner.

Chloe has on a small smile whenever she's around Amanda so I make them spend as much time together, just to see her smile without me (plus, I love spending the day with Cody X] ). We would always do something special on occasions like this. Today, grandpa took Mrs. Way and Mrs. Rogers to the spa while we set up just so they wouldn't know about our surprise.

Before they rarived, the house was filled with hearts and stars. The smell of pasta and scented candles filled the dining room and the table was a sight. Who knew all the Ways were talented with cooking? Cake, wine and chocolate dipped strawberries. Two kinds of salad, some other stuff that I didn't know the names of.

After Dinner

We were talking about their reactions when they saw everything. Tears fell, mouths hung wide and hugs, kisses and cards passed around. The best mother's day we've ever had but just when we were about to tuck in Chloe and Amanda in the extra room, the door bell rang.

"MOMMY!" Chloe screamed as she ran out to meet her but suddenly stopped in her tracks when she saw whoever was standing behind her.

"Dad." I said through gritted teeth and clenching fists.

Cody and Gerard had to hold me back before I could pounce on him and beat him up again. "He's not worth it today", were whispered to try soothing me.

"Good evening Donna, Kerri. Happy mother's day."

"Same to you Linda. Would you like to...come in?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude. I just want to pick up my kids so we can spend the night together."

Before anybody else could talk, I wrenched myself away from my friends' grasps and walked towards my mother.

"Hello Frankie. Won't you greet me a happy mother's day? Chloe! Why don't you come over here and give mom a kiss, huh?"

My sister just ran towards me and hid behind my legs.

"Leave her alone! You make Chloe cry!" Amanda screamed from the top of the stairs.

My mom, being my mom, grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me out, Chloe going with because she wouldn't let go. Out to the front yard. Where he was standing. Where he is going to die as soon as this woman let's go of me.

She didn't though. Just grabbed a fistful of my hair and lifts my face up to hers. I yelp making Chloe sob even harder. The other moms are already at the front door, shocked at the scene.

"You ungrateful little brat! You're supposed to greet me today! Isn't it called mother's day for a damn reason?! I work my ass off in London to pay for the rent and the bills so you and your bratty sister will stay there and be respectful at least and this is what I get?! Snobbed and yelled at by a three year old?!"

I don't answer though because I don't feel my sister next to me anymore. I try my hardest to find her and there she was, my father over her again. She screams and I hear a gun being fired and I sit back up.

I sit back up, sweat and tears falling. I looked at the digital clock at it read 5:15 a.m.
My sister, asleep next to me, snuggling to her stuffed animals.

Just a dream...just a terrible dream...

"Go back to sleep Frank. It was just a dream", I tell myself and lay back. Eyes close, heartbeat relaxing...off to a better place I hope...

And the phone rings, waking me again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy mother's day people! :]