Status: I promise it'll be cliche | Reviving!

That Summer

three

The morning after Silken arrived was nothing like she expected. She imagined herself waking up to the sunlight streaming through her window, the smell of some delicious breakfast wafting through the cracks in her bedroom door. She would walk downstairs to see her grandma setting food out on the table and laying out their plans for the day.

Instead, she woke up in a heap on the floor with the smell of paint making her woozy.

She couldn’t remember exactly how she had gotten on the floor, though she did remember a bang that sounded as she rolled over and something cold pressed underneath her sometime during the span of the night. The sunlight was shining through her see-through curtains, slightly blinding her as she sat up. She shook out her slightly numb limbs and made her way through the door and down the stairs, where the paint smell only became stronger.

“Morning, sunshine!” was the first thing that greeted her, sending an echo through the house. Her grandmother was standing on a ladder, painting something along the edge of her roof. A confused look had made its home on Silken face and she watched Sylvia, not entirely sure what she should do.

“There’s cereal in the cupboard, help yourself,” Sylvia said while dipping her paintbrush in various containers. “Be careful though, the doors can be touchy.”

Silken nodded and made her way towards the kitchen, carefully avoiding the various buckets and brushes that littered the floor. She located the cupboards and managed to pour herself some cereal and coffee without aggravating any appliances.

“So, what are your plans for the day?” Sylvia asked, setting down her tools and grabbing a towel to wipe off her hands. She slid across from Silken and grabbed a mug full of coffee.

“Well, I was hoping you could tell me,” Silken replied, looking over at her grandmother and lifting her eyebrows. Sylvia’s face scrunched for just a second before she jumped up, sending a stack of papers flying.

“Let’s go exploring. You can meet some of the neighbours!” she said excitedly, like it was the best idea anyone had ever come up with. Not waiting for Silken’s answer, she rushed out of the room, only pausing to yell instructions over her shoulder.

“Finish eating and meet me out front in twenty minutes. But be careful, the door has a short temper.”

Image


Sylvia was waiting on the front porch when Silken left the house, humming the tune to a song that may not have existed. She hopped up as soon as she saw the girl and looped her arm around hers, dragging her down the driveway.

“I figured we’d just walk down the road and see what happens,” Sylvia said, stepping out onto the cracked sidewalk that led away from the house.

“Sounds like a good plan,” Silken said, chuckling a little. Her grandmother had never been one to plan anything, relying more on fate than plans. They walked silently down the street, turning off just before they got anywhere too civilized, before they ran into someone that Sylvia knew.

“Oh Sylvie, this must be your granddaughter!” the woman engulfed Silken in a hug, letting out an excited squeal in the process. She recoiled quickly though, letting go of the girl and sticking out her hand.

“I’m Evelyn!” she said, shaking Silken’s hand quickly. Silken smiled nodded, the two women already engaged in mindless conversation. It only lasted for a minute though, before Sylvia turned back to Silken.

“We had better get going, we’re exploring,” Sylvia said, smiling widely as the two people beside her.

“It was nice to meet you, Evelyn,” Silken said, smiling politely before being hauled off by her grandmother. They walked for another moment before she stopped abruptly, turning to face a deep green house that was beside them.

“This is where Lesley lives, remember her, from the store last night?” she asked, turning back to Silken. “I just have to talk to her about a couple things.”

They made their way up the sidewalk and Sylvia knocked swiftly on the door before turning the knob and letting herself in. Silken entered cautiously, looking around as if they were breaking and entering.

“Sylvia!” came a voice from somewhere in the back of the house. A figure soon appeared where the voice was left and Lesley was standing in front of them.

“Nice to see you again, Silken,” she said, nodding in the girl’s direction. Silken smiled and followed them deeper into the house and through a door in the back that opened into a yard.

“I guess you’re here to see Robbie,” Lesley said, sitting down on a wicker chair and motioning for them to do the same. “He’ll be here any minute.”

As if right on cue, a boy walked through the door, dusting off his hands on his shorts. He smiled in their direction and walked towards them, his eyes shining.

“Sylvia, nice to see you,” he said, nodding towards her grandmother and his mom. He turned towards Silken, his smile seeming to take up a permanent residence on his lips, and stuck out his hand.

“I’m Robbie,” he said, taking her hand. She shook it and looked up at him, a smile playing on her lips.

“I know,” she replied, the smile taking over her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Also edited by Victoria. Let me know what you think? (: