Status: Complete - 12.11.12

Sing Me to Sleep, I'll See You in My Dreams

Two

"Hi, I'm Alex."

My tongue stuck uncomfortably to the roof of my mouth. How could someone be so happy...in a graveyard? I hesitantly lifted my own hand up and greeted him.

"I'm Jack."

I lowered my head awkwardly, I never did well in these situations. From the corner of my eye I could see Alex raise a bushy eyebrow at me and shrug his shoulders. God, he must think I'm a total freak, which isn't half far from the truth.

"Well nice to meet you Jack, you wanna come over and talk? It's kinda awkward shouting over some random graves." He let out a shaky laugh and a tight smile formed on my lips. I swerved around the row of graves separating us and made my way towards were Alex was standing, directly in front of a shiny marble grave. Quite new. It saddened me that a boy like Alex - so happy and carefree - had to go through someone you know dying. Someone like Alex shouldn't go through that, I know what it's like.

His smile seemed to widen with every step I took towards him. His chalk white teeth glistened in the remaining sunlight. His white v-neck and dark skinny jeans fitted him to perfection and my blood boiled with jealousy. If only I looked as good as he did...

Alex lowered himself onto the grass, crossed his long legs and patted the grass in front of him. Mutely asking me to join him.
"So, how old are you Jack?" I crossed my legs under me before answering.
"I'm 15, I'll be 16 in June this year." Alex nodded with a smirk plastered onto his face.
"I'm older than you by 6 months!" He stuck out his tongue playfully at me and I let out a low laugh. The notion shocked me. I haven't laughed in so long.
"You don't act like it." He huffed in mock annoyance before cracking another smirk. I smiled back at him, his smile was definitely contagious. I felt a warm glow radiate from my chest, Alex was so different from all the others. He didn't mock me, judge me nor avoid me. He befriended me and that made me feel something I haven't felt in a long time. Happiness.

We talked with ease about pointless things for hours. Alex had something about him that could make me open up and be myself like I'd known him for years, it made me feel so special. The sun dipped down under the horizon and the sky blazed with brilliant reds, oranges and yellows. I broke off from our conversation about llamas and looked up at the sky.
"I better be getting back now." Alex's face fell as we both pulled ourselves off the damp grass.
"Will I get to see you again?" I looked up in shock at him, his chocolate brown eyes wide with anticipation.
"Of...of course you will!" His face brightened instantly as he cracked his famous smirk.
"Meet me back here tomorrow." I nodded to confirm and turned around to walk back to the rusty old gate. Wait...
"What time?" The question took Alex off guard and he raised a questioning eye brow at me.
"Anytime. I'll be waiting." I watched as Alex turned to look directly at the grave he was staring at the first time I saw him. I shrugged my shoulders and headed back. I took my time, not wanting to reach the house a minute more than I had to. My mind wondered back to Alex, the first person to ever want to talk to me. I couldn't help but smile at the way he laughed at my jokes, the way he always smiled when I said something and the way he made me feel less lonely, less afraid.

All too soon I reached the little porch. I could hear my Uncle's screaming and ranting from where I stood. I loudly swallowed and creaked open the door.
"GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME YOU PATHETIC BASTARD! GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!" My eyes widened in fear as I saw my Uncle's face contorted in fury, pure hatred gleaming in his dark eyes. He bounded towards me, firsts in the air. I needed no telling twice. I bolted up the stairs and slammed my bedroom door to the monster downstairs. I slid down the door and cupped my head in my hands, all the happiness and joy I felt with Alex extinguished like a flame to a candle. My body shook as the tears started to spill over.

The real monster doesn't just live under the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just couldn't wait to update so here you go! Sorry it's so short :/ but aww Jack finally has a friend :'D Comment and tell me what you think? :) Thank you all.