Status: let me know what you think :)

On The Edge

Chapter Fourteen: Apology

"No, Louis. If you wake her up, she'll be even more mad. I have a feeling that she's going to want to kill us anyway. She said she never wanted to see me again."

"Come on, Niall. She's mad at you, not me." I hear a sigh and a mumbled 'go ahead' before I feel myself being shaken "Maddie? Wake up, love. I want to talk to you."

I groan and open my eyes, glancing over at the clock in the process. I was definitely not in the mood for this at five in the morning. "What exactly do you want?" I ask, annoyed. "You do realize that if my father catches you, you're both dead."

"Sorry we woke you, Maddie. But Niall here has something he wants to say to you."

I quirk my eyebrow, amused and now wide awake. "Oh does he now?"

"Maddie, look. I'm sorry. I know that I shouldn't have gotten so upset just because you're with Louis. I think of you as my sister and I don't want you to get hurt. And I was stupid for not trusting Louis. Please forgive me?"

I sigh and open my arms, pulling him into a hug. "Of course I forgive you Niall."

He laughs and we stay like that until Louis clears his throat. I smile and hug him as well. We sit in silence for a moment, no one knowing what to say. The two of them share a glance and I groan at the obvious fact that there was something they weren't telling me.

"Just tell her, Lou. I think she'll be excited."

"Boys, what's going on?"

"We were wondering..."

I jump when I hear banging on the stairs, the loud noises indicating it was my father. "Boys, get in the closet. Now!"

They nod and quickly run into the tight space, closing the door right before he walks in.

"Madelyn, did I hear voices in here?"

"N-no sir, it was just my phone. I woke up and when I couldn't go back to sleep, I got bored."

"You're lying."

"What? N-no sir I'm not."

"Quit lying to me Madelyn!"

I hear a loud bang from inside the closet. One that I know my father heard as well. I was terrified to say the least. Who knew what he would do to me? More importantly who knew what he would do to Niall and Louis. He smirks as he approaches the closet door.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" He asks when he opens it. "If it isn't little Niall and his side kick."

"Don't hurt them sir, please." I beg

"You know boys, breaking and entering is against the law."

"And so is child abuse, but you don't have a problem with it." Louis spat.

"Look boy, I don't want to hurt you. So shut your mouth and get out of my house."

"And what? Leave Maddie here with you? Your demented if you think we'd do that. We know what you do to her. We've seen the bruises and you are not going to touch her."

"Boys, just stay out of this." I hiss. "This isn't your problem."

They look at me with wide eyes, and I nod in an attempt to get them to leave. I wasn't about to drag them in the middle of something concerning my father when I know what he's capable of.

"Madelyn, you can't-"

"Just leave, Niall. I'm used to it. It's no big deal, really. Both of you go. Now."

"Listen to her boys, you don't want to make things worse for poor Madelyn do you?"

I nod my head when they look back and me, and they reluctantly walk out the door. I turn back to my father, and he gives me a sickening smile.

"Oh, Maddie. Don't you ever learn? I thought I made it clear that you are not to disobey me. Clearly you aren't listening, and you know that you have to be punished."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maddie, are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Louis' frantic voice sounds through the phone, causing me to laugh.

"I'm fine. Nothing different from the usual. My body has actually become accustomed to the pain."

"That's awful. I'm sorry, Maddie. I knew we shouldn't have left."

"Calm down Louis. It's alright." I say, smiling at his concern.

"Are you sure?"

I roll my eyes and nod, although he clearly couldn't see me. When I don't respond he clears his throat, and I decide to change the subject, suddenly remembering that he had some explaining to do.

"I'm fine for the millionth time. And Louis, what were you going to tell me before my father walked in?"

"Well, how would it sound if I told you that we could get you out of there?"